• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

B.O.O.M

After thinking about your criteria for two seconds... Ray Allen

I love me some Ray Allen but you seriously comparing Ray Allen to KD? Really? I forgot how Ray Allen was the best player in Boston too. Stop.

Let's just agree to disagree. It's getting ridiculous

I'm down with this reasoning.

It's less of a KD problem and more of a league problem that their current salary and drafting structure make it so it's easier for mega teams to exist while the other 95% of the league flounders.

It's also semi unique to basketball as the rosters are sooo much smaller, and other sports like baseball and football are just fundamentally structured as sports differently.

This is a good point. One that I didn't consider

I don't get their egos sometimes. All Durant has to do is win one title in OKC and he will get a statue outside the damn stadium.

I dont think championships should be a metric for player greatness but unfortuantely thats the predominant thinking in sports. I still dont like the way he is going about it but I understand it. This is his best chance for a ring-teaming up with several of the best players of the day. GS stole his soul when they beat em last year. Broke his ass like Reek.

ViciousDS

Banned
I dont think championships should be a metric for player greatness but unfortuantely thats the predominant thinking in sports. I still dont like the way he is going about it but I understand it. This is his best chance for a ring-teaming up with several of the best players of the day.

If that was the case allen Iverson wouldn't be ranked so damn high and considered in my opinion a top 5 all time guard

Kickz

CmiDGsLWcAAK9YB.jpg:large

Thought I'd just post this one more time

Jarate

Banned
In real important news, the Sixers signed Euroleague Star Sergio Rodriguez to a 1 year 8 million $

Fuck Kevin Durant, we got the best player today!

Next time on Basketball Z.

While Lebron James is training in the gravity chamber getting ready for the next tournament.

tumblr_n2j9ocry1u1tu0hbzo4_r1_500.gif

He learns that his old friend Kevin Durant has joined forces with the Ginyu Force.

Will Lebron and Kyrie Irving have enough time to train to defeat this new threat??!!?

tumblr_mz241jULWM1rnt72lo1_400.gif

Find out next time on BASKETBALL Z

Next time on Basketball Z.

While Lebron James is training in the gravity chamber getting ready for the next tournament.

tumblr_n2j9ocry1u1tu0hbzo4_r1_500.gif

He learns that his old friend Kevin Durant has joined forces with the Ginyu Force.

Will Lebron and Kyrie Irving have enough time to train to defeat this new threat??!!?

tumblr_mz241jULWM1rnt72lo1_400.gif

Find out next time on BASKETBALL Z
Go Cav

Gigglepoo

I love me some Ray Allen but you seriously comparing Ray Allen to KD? Really? I forgot how Ray Allen was the best player in Boston too. Stop.

Let's just agree to disagree. It's getting ridiculous

Here's what you said:

1. How damn strong the gsw team was before KD joined them. One of the historically great teams. 2. They beat his own team in the conference finals, partly because he was terrible. Simple as that.

So, yeah, Ray Allen fits that criteria perfectly. Keep moving the goal posts, though. And we can always go back to Wilt, Kareem, etc if you're criteria includes "Former MVPs" or "Best players on their teams" or whatever else you come up with.

I don't understand where people get this idea that "Super team forming=lockout"? Did a super team forming lead to the last one? Owners are still limiting salaries, ratings and revenue are through the roof, international growth is on the rise, and a move like this will keep the NBA on the front page throughout the offseason (here's KD at the Olympics with Klay and Dray! Here's KD's first day of training camp! Here's KD's first preseason game in Oakland!). The owners are loving this.
Well, when you have to pay 2 players almost a sixth of what your franchise is worth, plus the ridiculous amount of luxury tax bill that this movement will ensure, it certainly can lead to some owners either trying to compete by throwing copious amounts of dollars to form super teams or just giving away stupid contracts and get nothing in return. Do you really see another team challenging either Cleveland or Golden State in the next 3-4 years? Because I certainly don't see anyone.

Well, when you have to pay 2 players almost a sixth of what your franchise is worth, plus the ridiculous amount of luxury tax bill that this movement will ensure, it certainly can lead to some owners either trying to compete by throwing copious amounts of dollars to form super teams or just giving away stupid contracts and get nothing in return. Do you really see another team challenging either Cleveland or Golden State in the next 3-4 years? Because I certainly don't see anyone.

Ratings will be sky high and money will be flowing though. The lockouts don't happen because owners are mad that their teams can't win titles. The lockout happens because ownership and the players can't agree on how much of the money pie each side should get. The NBA has always been top heavy this is nothing new.

B.O.O.M

Neil Olshey is having a really bad offseason.

Absolute worst.

Just fine given our style of basketball. Hope Duncan hangs around for another year especially since we got Manu back.

Didn't Duncan say he is considering retirement or something? maybe that was just a rumor. I thought Pau would be like the replacement

So, yeah, Ray Allen fits that criteria perfectly. Keep moving the goal posts, though. And we can always go back to Wilt, Kareem, etc if you're criteria includes "Former MVPs" or "Best players on their teams" or whatever else you come up with.

facepalm. You notice how I was talking about KD? Did you want to put in a third point to show that he is one of the greatest players in the league and recent history and is def not past his prime? Really? Don't be so obtuse. If Dion Waiters joined the GSW no one would give a shit. KD was OKC's best player and he shat the bed in the finals leading to a huge collapse.

Again just stop. I don't want to engage with you on this any longer. Let's see how this plays out

Two Words

Ratings will be sky high and money will be flowing though. The lockouts don't happen because owners are mad that their teams can't win titles. The lockout happens because ownership and the players can't agree on how much of the money pie each side should get. The NBA has always been top heavy this is nothing new.

Yeah I think that would only be a problem if small teams couldn't sign anybody at all.

I doubt LeBron cares that much

His main goal was to win 1 title for Cleveland , if they lose he can just go "not much I can do"
But if he wins, fuck, the shit he will talk will be insane

Gigglepoo

Seriously, it's a sport built on stars and dynasties. This is nothing new. It's just located 381 miles north of where it used to be.

I doubt LeBron cares that much

His main goal was to win 1 title for Cleveland , if they lose he can just go "not much I can do"
But if he wins, fuck, the shit he will talk will be insane

And it'll be even crazier when the Pacers win!

I'm down with this reasoning.

It's less of a KD problem and more of a league problem that their current salary and drafting structure make it so it's easier for mega teams to exist while the other 95% of the league flounders.

It's also semi unique to basketball as the rosters are sooo much smaller, and other sports like baseball and football are just fundamentally structured as sports differently.

It's not just that but also the way the playoffs are built too. in a 7 game series spanning multiple rounds, big upsets are less likely to happen. Baseball mitigates this by having only a handful of teams play in the playoffs. Football has single elimination games. Basketball lets the majority of teams into the playoffs and has them play long series. It's why you have 3 tiers of playoff bound teams (just made the playoffs, teams that'll advance, actual contenders)

If anything, I feel like if you really want parity in the NBA, somewhere in that answer has to contain lesser games played per season.

Broussard just said on SportsCenter that the Spurs with Gasol "can't beat the Warriors, it's as simple as that."

Sorry, Golden State. The championship is in San Antonio next year. The Lil (Chris) B curse is real.

jbug617

Banned
Gasol deal is basically a 1yr deal. He has an opt out for next Summer.

Barnes and Mavs verbally agree to a 4yr/$94m deal.

B.O.O.M

Broussard just said on SportsCenter that the Spurs with Gasol "can't beat the Warriors, it's as simple as that."

Sorry, Golden State. The championship is in San Antonio next year. The Lil (Chris) B curse is real.

Any sauces mentioned?

Gasol deal is basically a 1yr deal. He has an opt out for next Summer.

Barnes and Mavs verbally agree to a 4yr/$94m deal.

94? Damn. I'm not really a fan of Barnes so I am biased but that sounds like a huge overpay. But I do wish the best for Dallas tho....they could use a good break

Two Words

I just realized that Dallas is letting this KD to GSW thing be a possibility by taking on Bogut's contract. Mark Cuban's going atomic bomb on the league. That's what you all get for burning him in free agency. Whiteside, Conley, Batum, Horford, Howard, Deandre, Parsons, get fucked.

Top Bottom