• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

What a weird offseason for the Thunder, you trade Ibaka, lose Durant, and gain Oladipo.........

Thunder fans gotta be
mjcry1.png

Tom Penny

I wonder if Ainge just retains Amir and Swedish Larry and calls it an off season. Amir is actually going to kill a year of development of Mickey and those Euro's bigs they drafted but has a useful trade contract.

This is why I think a Westbrook trade won't happen. Russ is probably going to want to test free agency and be woo'd, and teams aren't going to give up much for a potential 1 year rental.

I agree but some GM is going to gamble that he can convince Russ to stay. I have no doubt Ainge gives it a shot.

I wonder if Ainge just retains Amir and Swedish Larry and calls it an off season. Amir is actually going to kill a year of development of Mickey and those Euro's bigs they drafted but has a useful trade contract.

I assume that's what happens, what other expensive free agents would even make sense?

Jarate

Banned
My internet just went out, I swear to god, if it doesn't come back by the time the Sixer's are playing I'm gonna cry

NHale

Another year and the Mavs actually have a decent team but not good enough team to be a 2nd round team. Bogut, Dirk, Barnes, Matthews and Deron is not that bad.

I'm surprised Danny Ainge didn't go after Bogut, he would be a huge upgrade considering who the Celtics have at the 5.

Jarate

Banned
They already have Adams, Kanter, and Sabonis. OKC would probably want Ben Simmons or something.

okc ain't gonna get shit for 1 year rental of Westbrook.

Okafor gives them instant star power where they can at least try to sell tickets while trying to revuild

Tom Penny

Another year and the Mavs actually have a decent team but not good enough team to be a 2nd round team. Bogut, Dirk, Barnes, Matthews and Deron is not that bad.

I'm surprised Danny Ainge didn't go after Bogut, he would be a huge upgrade considering who the Celtics have at the 5.

Bogut isn't a huge upgrade over Amir Johnson at all.

Sully is going to get more than 1 year offers from other teams. He actually had a productive 3/4 of season before turning full fat ass.

He's worth more than a 1 year deal and he'll definitely get it from someone, I just don't think Ainge will be the one to give it to him.

Sandfox

okc ain't gonna get shit for 1 year rental of Westbrook.

Okafor gives them instant star power where they can at least try to sell tickets while trying to revuild

Okafor isn't instant star power and I would expect better offers than that from other teams.

natjjohn

What would a franchise tag have done? KD was a Thunder for 9 years. How much longer does he have to be bound to that organization?

As long as they want to keep tagging but the way the nfl works if tagged a third time the salary gets astronomically high to where it's not sustainable. What would happen is most players will re-up with the team for the financial security, but ultimately, they could roll the dice and play out one year deals until team simply can't devote that much cap to one player.

To answer the question: the franchise tag would have Durant still in OKC (as well as many other players on other teams). Problem in the NBA now is talent is getting too concentrated. Now if it's concentrated towards your team it's all good (I'm speculating your a fan of GSW, SA, or CLE),'but if not, very unlikely you'll be a contender barring massive wave of injuries/suspensions.

rando14

As long as they want to keep tagging but the way the nfl works if tagged a third time the salary gets astronomically high to where it's not sustainable. What would happen is most players will re-up with the team for the financial security, but ultimately, they could roll the dice and play out one year deals until team simply can't devote that much cap to one player.

To answer the question: the franchise tag would have Durant still in OKC (as well as many other players on other teams). Problem in the NBA now is talent is getting too concentrated. Now if it's concentrated towards your team it's all good (I'm speculating your a fan of GSW, SA, or CLE),'but if not, very unlikely you'll be a contender barring massive wave of injuries/suspensions.

Why in the world would the NBAPA ever, EVER agree to a franchise tag

jbug617

Banned
Behind the scenes of the KD meetings
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...nd_the_scenes_of_the_kevin_durant_sweepstakes

C's made a list ditch pitch once they got Horford
Multiple sources said and the Celtics made a late rush with a strong presentation and the news shortly afterward that they had won the chase for Al Horford.

Clippers panicked
the Clippers, despite the fact they would have to gut the club’s support players, were very much in the picture early after their talk with Durant, but pulled out when faced with the potential of losing some of their own key free agents.

KD really didn't want to play in the East but the C's made a very good impression
“He’s told people for a while that he likes that whole Celtics thing and the tradition and the way the people there are into the team — all the teams up there,” said a league source. “But I still think he was looking out West. The part I don’t know is how much the Horford signing made him stop and think again about Boston, but I think it had to be some.”

KD was turned off the initial meeting with the Warriors but Jerry West cleared it up with the phone call
Interestingly, some of the teams in the hunt were told that Durant was turned off by something he heard in the Warriors’ initial presentation.

“They were telling him about how they were going to win championships even if he didn’t come there,” said a coach. “I don’t think they came right out and said he wasn’t going to win if he didn’t sign with them — that would be crazy — but I was told that’s how he kind of took it.”

Said another source, a call from Warriors exec Jerry West smoothed over any issues Durant may have had.

“I think that was important,” he said. “I think Kevin was interested in Golden State big-time as the playoffs went on, but if he had any doubts, I think hearing from someone of Jerry West’s stature was important. When Jerry talks, you listen. Some young guys may not get how big a deal Jerry West is, but Kevin is a bright guy and he’s into the history of the game. He knows what Jerry West is to basketball.

“I think that (call) made him feel more comfortable about leaving OKC and coming to a team that was already great.”

KD and Russ relationship is complicated.
The club might also have had the idea that concerns in that area were a big part of why Durant was seriously thinking about leaving the Thunder in the first place. One person close to Durant and Russell Westbrook said their relationship is “kind of complicated.”

Said another Western source, “Look, KD and Russ are friends. They get along great off the court. They’re good guys. But Kevin feels like no one can control Russell when he’s on the court — not even Russell. Everyone sees it. It’s no secret. I think that’s been hard on Kevin. Russ is one of the top players in the game, but things have to fit.”

natjjohn

Why in the world would the NBAPA ever, EVER agree to a franchise tag

They wouldn't, unless owners played hardball. All players will crack with a lockout. When the millions quit rolling in, the majority of players I don't think would care about a franchise tag as will only apply to a small set of the Union.

I'm saying would make a better association for fans and would be worthwhile for the owners to pursue.

They wouldn't, unless owners played hardball. All players will crack with a lockout. When the millions quit rolling in, the majority of players I don't think would care about a franchise tag as will only apply to a small set of the Union.

I'm saying would make a better association for fans and would be worthwhile for the owners to pursue.

owners got what they wanted last go around and didn't ask for anything as dumb as a franchise tag. The owners would have zero chance of getting the players to concede to anything like that with how well the league is doing.

Tom Penny

Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account
‏@WojVerticalNBA
Draymond's been relentless recruiting Durant this season. Made him feel needed. After 3-1 comeback vs OKC, Green went right back at him.

This is the new NBA. " Yo I know you ain't going to Finals because us and the game just ended but you should join us in month "

Top Bottom