• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The biggest travesty of all this is that we have to retire this gif now:

qvPkWba.gif

Clippers panicked

That was pretty obvious when they gave Jamal Crawford THREE years.

Getting Durant was probably the Clips best way of being able to crack the conference title game but they were in such a bad spot to where they couldn't really wait for him to make his decision or be left with nothing.

On the one hand I want to say Durant never leaves if the Thunder are still the Sonics, but I think playing with YNB was detrimental to his career. YNB is good, but Durant needs to play with a PG who is more of a distributor.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
They wouldn't, unless owners played hardball. All players will crack with a lockout. When the millions quit rolling in, the majority of players I don't think would care about a franchise tag as will only apply to a small set of the Union.

I'm saying would make a better association for fans and would be worthwhile for the owners to pursue.

Why would owners want to have a franchise tag? KD was basically under OKC's control for what at least 7 or 8 years before he'd be able to become a free agent?

natjjohn

owners got what they wanted last go around and didn't ask for anything as dumb as a franchise tag. The owners would have zero chance of getting the players to concede to anything like that with how well the league is doing.

I'm confused why it's dumb through the fan lens of competitive teams/league. It's dumb if your superstar wanting maximum options.

They definitely could if they played hardball. Players want to play and get paid. Why they are doing neither, they would give in on something that would impact a a minority of the Union.

I'm confused why it's dumb through the fan lens of competitive teams/league. It's dumb if your superstar wanting maximum options.

They definitely could if they played hardball. Players want to play and get paid. Why they are doing neither, they would give in on something that would impact a a minority of the Union.

Its dumb because I am pro-player, and I hate rules that owners put in place to restrict earning potential. Pay these fucking athletes already.

And if the owners could do something like you are suggesting, they would. It's a give and take. They can't just hold out for everything they want because players want to play and get paid. Owners like the revenue they get from their teams too.

Do you think OKC owner wishes he Durant was on his team?

That's why.

lol and the other 29 owners give a shit because?

The way the league is structured now, in most cases teams get 6-8 years of team control when they draft a super star player. That is more than reasonable. At some point these guys need to be allowed to decide where they want to play. Saying you want teams to be able to restrict and deny free agency as long as they want is ridiculous, even from a fan's perspective (at least one who is reasonable).

Drek

Why in the world would the NBAPA ever, EVER agree to a franchise tag
In exchange for removing the contract maximum, but effectively replacing it with one year escalating tags that would effectively price a soft ceiling but limit super team building.

In exchange for removing the contract maximum, but effectively replacing it with one year escalating tags that would effectively price a soft ceiling but limit super team building.

Removing contract maximum would benefit FREE agents, you wouldn't be able to franchise tag a free agent.

NHale

If the NBA really wants to limit the creation of super teams, they only have to remove the maximum salary for a player. Allow a team to spend 80M on KD or LeBron which automatically ends the possibility of the creation of a super team and at the same time allows the players to get what they actually deserve instead of some average backups being paid half of what LeBron gets.

The NBAPA would probably accept this offer as well.

natjjohn

Its dumb because I am pro-player, and I hate rules that owners put in place to restrict earning potential. Pay these fucking athletes already.

And if the owners could do something like you are suggesting, they would. It's a give and take. They can't just hold out for everything they want because players want to play and get paid. Owners like the revenue they get from their teams too.

lol and the other 29 owners give a shit because?

It's starting to happen to more and more owners. Happened to OKC (will be twice back to back), Portland, Cleveland. Will probably happen to Indiana in a couple years with Paul George.

Durant would be fine making 150+million in OKC and to act otherwise is odd. NBA players are getting paid massively. Franchise tag wouldn't change that. Would just keep the talent better distributed throughout the league.

Most owners are independently wealthy with the team being more a status thing that also makes some cash. They'd be fine during a lockout.

I'm an NBA fan and will still watch. Just think this would make a better association for team fans and increase parity. Haven't read anything that suggests otherwise.

It's starting to happen to more and more owners. Happened to OKC (will be twice back to back), Portland, Cleveland. Will probably happen to Indiana in a couple years with Paul George.

Durant would be fine making 150+million in OKC and to act otherwise is odd. NBA players are getting paid massively. Franchise tag wouldn't change that. Would just keep the talent better distributed throughout the league.

Most owners are independently wealthy with the team being more a status thing that also makes some cash. They'd be fine during a lockout.

I'm an NBA fan and will still watch. Just think this would make a better association for team fans and increase parity. Haven't read anything that suggests otherwise.

Paul George is under contract for another 3 years. By the time he hits free agency (if at all) he will be 30. The Pacers will have gotten 9 years of production from him, all while paying him below his worth for that production. There is no indication the owners or fans think this is an issue in the way you are making it out to be. Free agency is not a bad thing. NO reasonable person (fan or owner) is saying "You know how to fix this problem of super teams? Don't let guys become free agents!"

If there is a problem with super-teams its being caused by the current CBA limiting the ability of players to fully maximize their value in the market. Something that was dictated by the owners. Your solution is to further restrict the players rights, so billionaire owners can pocket even more each year. What is it about professional athletes that people are so willing to throw away their rights?

Two Words

Paul George is under contract for another 3 years. By the time he hits free agency (if at all) he will be 30. The Pacers will have gotten 9 years of production from him, all while paying him below his worth for that production. There is no indication the owners or fans think this is an issue in the way you are making it out to be. Free agency is not a bad thing. NO reasonable person (fan or owner) is saying "You know how to fix this problem of super teams? Don't let guys become free agents!"

This would only be a problem if players were taking a lot less money to form these big teams.

harSon

Banned
Fuck that

What's the point of even trading away your young core for someone whos almost assuredly going to leave OKC after the upcoming season? Just sign him as a free agent. Why trade for him and run the risk of losing him to free agency, and then you're basically where you started 2-3 years ago.

If there is a problem with super-teams its being caused by the current CBA limiting the ability of players to fully maximize their value in the market. Something that was dictated by the owners. Your solution is to further restrict the players rights, so billionaire owners can pocket even more each year. What is it about professional athletes that people are so willing to throw away their rights?

It has to do with the history of slavery and the expectation of ownership over other human beings by their very rich overlords.

NHale

So apparently the Warriors only have to renounce Livingston 10M cap hold next year to be able to easily sign both KD + Curry to 4 and 5 year max deals in 2017 even without having the Bird rights of KD.

And if the cap goes up more than expected due to the sponsorship jersey deals, then they will still probably have cap space to acquire a free agent for more than the exceptions (more if Iggy signs for less than his cap hold...)

gerudoman

Man, I still can't believe Chacho is leaving us after stating a couple of days of ago that he planned to continue in Madrid :/ Good luck to him, I think he will need it. His season has been pretty mediocre mainly because of physical problems and fatigue, can't really see him playing 82 games in a season.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
So apparently the Warriors only have to renounce Livingston 10M cap hold next year to be able to easily sign both KD + Curry to 4 and 5 year max deals in 2017 even without having the Bird rights of KD.

And if the cap goes up more than expected due to the sponsorship jersey deals, then they will still probably have cap space to acquire a free agent for more than the exceptions (more if Iggy signs for less than his cap hold...)
Dynasty confirmed.

Jarate

Banned
Man, I still can't believe Chacho is leaving us after stating a couple of days of ago that he planned to continue in Madrid :/ Good luck to him, I think he will need it. His season has been pretty mediocre mainly because of physical problems and fatigue, can't really see him playing 82 games in a season.

He'll probably be more of a backup player though, the guy who handles the ball when Simmons isn't playing

How good of a locker room guy is he? Also, its tough to turn down 8 mil

ViciousDS

Banned
“They were telling him about how they were going to win championships even if he didn’t come there,” said a coach. “I don’t think they came right out and said he wasn’t going to win if he didn’t sign with them — that would be crazy — but I was told that’s how he kind of took it.”

Wow.....the whole organization is fucking full of themselves. Can they really make me not like them even more. I see why they went from humble to a bunch of bitches when they were winning.

Wow.....the whole organization is fucking full of themselves. Can they really make me not like them even more. I see why they went from humble to a bunch of bitches when they were winning.

That quote is so garbage. They said if they don't team up, they might win again as a team and he might win with the Thunder as well but together they could win a hell of a lot more than separate.

Top Bottom