• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Two Words

Somebody "Crying Jordan" this pic.

pat-riley-michael-jordan.jpg

How legit is Mudiay? I didn't follow his rookie season. Nuggets got those nice pieces but they just play so slow and don't fit that style of play.

He was mindblowingly awful to start the season but started to put it together the last few months. Worst starting point guard in the league though, probably. That last month of good play gives me hope.

Hitta93

Banned
I'll say WC locks: Warriors, Spurs, Clippers, Grizzlies.

I'm inclined to choose Portland, Houston, TWolves, and Jazz to fill out the other 4 spots.

Jonm1010

Banned
I'll say WC locks: Warriors, Spurs, Clippers, Grizzlies.

I'm inclined to choose Portland, Houston, TWolves, and Jazz to fill out the other 4 spots.

Houston has become a wild card for me.

They can either catch lightning in a bottle and rejuvenate D'Antoni's image or they are going to be a fundamentals purists worst nightmare and implode in a spectacular fashion.

Harden, Gordon, Anderson with D'Antoni coaching is an epically bad defensive combo.

FZZ

Banned
Chances for Westbrook getting MVP this year?

I actually think Thunder are going to surprise a lot of people this season.

depends on how OKC does. They still have a pretty good roster. If he puts up like 29/8/8 and they finish with 50+ wins he's got a really good shot.

Mortemis

Banned
The best thing the Lakers can do to get Westbrook is put together a team that looks even a little like they'd be able to contend sometime soon, and get him in free agency.

Fuck trading away prospects or picks. That's for teams that are close to contention, not for a team close to breaking 20 wins.

Jonm1010

Banned

No player has been lower then a 3 seed in 20 years and won MVP.

And only twice were they actually a 3rd seed and one of those MVP's was only a 3rd seed on a technicality from a three way tie for 1st.

.....My sleeper right now is Kawhi Leonard. Curry/Durant aren't getting it. The powers that be have basically decided LBJ no longer gets considered. So he seems like the logical option.

mjp2417

Banned
West probably looks like:

1 Golden St. (lol)
2 San Antonio
3 LA Clippers
4 Memphis
5/6/7 OKC/Portland/Utah in any potential order. These three all look really close.
8 is a logjam between Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Minnesota, and Denver if they pick up Wade

I could see a healthy Anthony Davis go off and be a contender for MVP this coming season. But i guess if his team doesn't do well its a moot point.

Barring any further moves (aside from please cut Nick Young already) it looks like the Lakers roster going into the season will be:

D'Angelo/Marcelo
Clarkson/Williams
Ingram/Deng/Brown
Randle/Nance/Bass
Mosgov/Black/Zubac

I'd imagine Zubac probably floats in and out of the d-league during the season. Supposedly Black is a guy they want to really give minutes to. Really hope Brown doesn't get lost in the shuffle. I'd like to see them add one more vet guard who can play the point. Is Jordan Farmar available?

Jonm1010

Banned
I could see a healthy Anthony Davis go off and be a contender for MVP this coming season. But i guess if his team doesn't do well its a moot point.
As a Pels fan I'd love that.

But as a Pels fan I also think our realistic ceiling is a 6 seed and honestly more likely borderline 8 seed. Guys just can't stay healthy. Including AD.

Barring any further moves (aside from please cut Nick Young already) it looks like the Lakers roster going into the season will be:

D'Angelo/Marcelo
Clarkson/Williams
Ingram/Deng/Brown
Randle/Nance/Bass
Mosgov/Black/Zubac

I'd imagine Zubac probably floats in and out of the d-league during the season. Supposedly Black is a guy they want to really give minutes to. Really hope Brown doesn't get lost in the shuffle. I'd like to see them add one more vet guard who can play the point. Is Jordan Farmar available?

Crazy we built this team in the draft. Time flies by, it feels like only yesterday when we drafted Randle. Barring any injuries and if the youngsters actually improve that team sounds fun to watch. Also that depth looks nice on paper.

Walton is going to have a lot of flexibility to play around with lineups too. Deng can play the 3 or the small ball 4 and is definitely capable of starting. Ingram can probably play the 2 or the 3. Clarkson has said he's fine coming off the bench.

Walton is going to have a lot of flexibility to play around with lineups too. Deng can play the 3 or the small ball 4 and is definitely capable of starting. Ingram can probably play the 2 or the 3. Clarkson has said he's fine coming off the bench.

I want to be excited but Jim Buss desperation makes me terrified.

I want to be excited but Jim Buss desperation makes me terrified.

Not at all, if anything the moves he's made these past couple of years have showed that he's been patient, making only major moves in the draft. Whether he steps down or not I don't know but it's clear the lakers are all in on the youth's development this coming season.

Is his sister gonna fire him or what?
Just trade Russell and Randle for Westbrook I would do that in a heartbeat. Presti has no leverage, YNB has one destination in mind.
The time is now Lakers nation

Sandfox

Just trade Russell and Randle for Westbrook I would do that in a heartbeat. Presti has no leverage, YNB has one destination in mind.

I'm not trading players for a year of Westbrook unless the team is competitive after the trade, and that's not true with the Lakers.

I would do that trade in a heartbeat, but im sure Presti would try to gut our roster if the talks even become a thing.

I'm hoping Jeanie sells the team, but the supposed plan was that Jim would quit if the franchise didn't show some signs of life in 3 years.

As for that trade, fuck that. If Russell wants to come to LA let him come here as a free agent.

I would do that trade in a heartbeat, but im sure Presti would try to gut our roster if the talks even become a thing.

Trading any of our young players outside of Randle by himself would be very dumb on the Lakers part because Westbrook could just ditch next year and it would be a Dwight situation all over again.

I'm hoping Jeanie sells the team, but the supposed plan was that Jim would quit if the franchise didn't show some signs of life in 3 years.

As for that trade, fuck that. If Russell wants to come to LA let him come here as a free agent.

Trading any of our young players outside of Randle by himself would be very dumb on the Lakers part because Westbrook could just ditch next year and it would be a Dwight situation all over again.

Yeah forgot about that, im hoping the team does well to showcase LA being a good location for Westbrook in the FA. Wouldn't want to be the knicks when they traded for melo.

Why should the Lakers trade anyone if Westbrook really just wants to come to LA? Keep your players in tact, wait a year, hope that your competitive enough to be respectable as a young team but not good enough so you can keep your top 3 pick, and sign YNB next year in FA.

Trading for YNB right now is totally counterintuitive.

Mortemis

Banned

Fuck that shit. What would we get, 30 wins and YNB dipping in free agency? And if he really wants to go to la, why waste anything in a trade?

Like scooter says, let him come in FA if he wants to.

Sandfox

I recommend to Laker Film Room videos on Youtube to anyone who wants a better understanding of how the team will play next season.

Marz

As a Jazz fan, I would love if the Jazz could swing a deal for Westbrook for a full season or even half of a season.

Don't know what assets we would have that OKC would be interested in, maybe package Trey Lyles with a bunch of draft picks.

I would love to see Favors and Gobert catching Lobs from a point guard capable of penetrating at will. Team would be scary as fuck and tbh Jazz fans haven't had a superstar here in SLC since Malone left.

Even if just for one playoff run I think it would be worth it.

NHale

If only has one destination in mind why waste valuable assets trading for him when you can get him in free agency (if he indeed wants to come...)?

Lakers aren't going to compete this year, Westbrook would only make them a contender to be 7th or 8th and even that is going to be a stretch. Quite frankly the Lakers would be smart to avoid any major blockbuster trade because they would still not be able to compete against the Warriors for the next couple of years. Develop the young players and hope that in 3-4 years they are good enough to be competitive, which would make the Lakers a prime destination for big free agents.

Hitta93

Banned
Thunder can make the playoffs, just have to see how Westbrook meshes his talents with Oladipo.

They're sitting at about .500 to me.

Hitta93

Banned
Houston has become a wild card for me.

They can either catch lightning in a bottle and rejuvenate D'Antoni's image or they are going to be a fundamentals purists worst nightmare and implode in a spectacular fashion.

Harden, Gordon, Anderson with D'Antoni coaching is an epically bad defensive combo.

Not many teams in the NBA play defense as is. We'll lose some games because we just simply don't have the personnel to defend, but we'll win a lot more just outgunning everyone.

Health is paramount.

j-wood

Just lol at this point. Golden State basically issuing a PSA: "Come get your ring! First come first serve!"

Ray Allen's reps recently reached out to Warriors about possibility of Allen joining Golden State, per @Chris_Broussard. Come one, come all.

Just lol at this point. Golden State basically issuing a PSA: "Come get your ring! First come first serve!"

Ray Allen's reps recently reached out to Warriors about possibility of Allen joining Golden State, per @Chris_Broussard. Come one, come all.

Don't quote Broussard on anything, he is a liar,

Top Bottom