• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

spyder_ur

Im not that big of a fan of the Okafor Horford pairing, Noel would be a much better option now

Exactly... we have a scoring forward now..

Honestly neither one is really a priority. Celts are just fine with their frontcourt for this year (assuming Amir comes back). One great thing about Horford is he's so versatile and well-rounded he can play with alot of different bigs and also play the 5 in small ball.

They probably could use another vet for depth - I was eyeing Nene who just signed for $2.9M. Some good deals for vet bigs going on, though I'm not sure who is still out there. Terrence Jones? Jordan Hill? Seraphin?

spyder_ur

The best part of having both of them is allowing Olynyk to have space on offense while also guarding the slower of the two opposing front court guys.

That's really important too. I think Olynyk might have a really nice year as long as the shoulder holds up. Laugh if you want, but he's a pretty nice player. Remember that Warriors game?

That lineup might be a bit soft on the boards, though I think Horford's rebounding decline is mostly a product of coach Bud's system.

What's the point of Ray Allen though? He's too old to keep up with a team that would want to play this fast and they got plenty of shooters already. I would imagine a 41 year old would be a liability on defense as well if Kerr continues to stubbornly allow every player to switch on defense.

Feels like deja vu. Doc and the celtics tried to do the same thing back in the day by trying to convince Reggie Miller to un-retire to join their super team .

Jud Buechler added to Luke's coaching staff with the Lakers. Hopefully he can help some of the young guys (Randle in particular) with their shooting stroke.

Bread

Banned
What's the point of Ray Allen though? He's too old to keep up with a team that would want to play this fast and they got plenty of shooters already. I would imagine a 41 year old would be a liability on defense as well if Kerr continues to stubbornly allow every player to switch on defense.
ray allen is one of the best conditioned players of all time, dude runs marathons.

he's not going to have trouble keeping up with a fast moving team.

I imagine Ray will be the last guy off the bench like Steve Kerr at the end of his career with the Spurs. You bring him on when everyone is having a bad shooting night and you need a catalyst to jump start the offense for a few min.

Fjordson

Yeah, have no interest in him tbh. But I guess pickings are gonna be slim with minimum deals.

Hof7LR4.jpg

I'm honestly not disappointed with the Lakers in the off season. Im excited to see the young guys develop more than expecting top free agents to sign.
But we're still stuck with Swaggy. Even though he tried to get himself out the league the other day with his fireworks mishap.

Technically if the Cavs want Wade, they can trade Love in the next day to the Celtics for Amir Johnson/ Jerebko contacts that the Cavs can decline the option on, plus whatever other picks/players....

Technically if the Cavs want Wade, they can trade Love in the next day to the Celtics for Amir Johnson/ Jerebko contacts that the Cavs can decline the option on, plus whatever other picks/players....

I don't think that's how it works. Also the Cavs would be stupid to trade Kevin Love to make room for DWade's 35 year old ass.

Fjordson

I don't get why these teams want Wade. Two years paying out the ass for old Wade? For a team like the Bulls where he'd be terrible next to Rondo?

Bread

Banned
I don't get why these teams want Wade. Two years paying out the ass for old Wade? For a team like the Bulls where he'd be terrible next to Rondo?
Bulls and Nuggets probably because they need to sell tickets. Bucks make a lot of sense to me, they've got a ton of talent but no veteran presence besides Kidd.

The Cavs have some trade exceptions they can use. Could they theoretically package those together in a sign-and-trade, creating a massive trade exception for Miami?

Not that I expect anything of the sort, by the way.

No, the real way it's going to go down is he is going to take the contract with Denver, Denver is going to buy him out, and he will sign with Cleveland on the cheap. The banana boat agreement has been made.

Believe.

(I don't.)

Fjordson

He's still one of the best SG's in the league.
He's good, but why does that matter for non-contending teams like Chicago and Denver? Just seems weird.

Denver has multiple young guards that they'd be better off developing instead of paying Wade. And Chicago is just a horrible fit.

Jarate

Banned
you saw what Silver did for teams who didnt want to actively try to win

gotta stay on the treadmill or else Silver will force your team to hire Jerry Colangelo

The Cavs have some trade exceptions they can use. Could they theoretically package those together in a sign-and-trade, creating a massive trade exception for Miami?
No. Trade exceptions can't be combined. Can't be combined with players either. And with everyone having cap room everywhere anyways, trade exceptions are currently almost worthless.

What should non-contending teams do? Should it be a race to the bottom to see who can out-tank the 76ers? There are about 29 of them atm.

I would rather watch Rondo-Butler-Wade for a season or two and be somewhat competitive than trying to lose 70 games and watching Butler demand a trade before Christmas.

rambis

Banned
wasnt every single game decided by less then 10 points?
Im laughing because I remember those games vividly. Miami wasnt the favorite that year in the slightest. .500 start, terrible record in close games. And that Bulls team dominated the league that year, including Miami.

Fjordson

What should non-contending teams do? Should it be a race to the bottom to see who can out-tank the 76ers? There are about 29 of them atm.

I would rather watch Rondo-Butler-Wade for a season or two and be somewhat competitive than trying to lose 70 games and watching Butler demand a trade before Christmas.
There's a ton of middle ground between tanking and paying Dwyane Wade over $50 million.

And that trio for Chicago would seriously be terrible.

Fjordson

The good thing is that it'd only be two year deal for Wade right? So you aren't hurting too many long term plans if you're a team like Denver.

Top Bottom