• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

spyder_ur

Banner 18!

Rozier was really awesome during these 3 games - 23, 7 and 6 tonight. Pretty excited to see that - hopefully we see more of Hunter, Brown and Mickey (?) in Vegas.

Tom Penny

Rozier want's them Turner minutes. Still raw at passing but better than before on drive and kicks. He always gives good effort. Just needs to sharpen that J and finishing after getting to the cup.

Jarate

Banned
Simmons passes are absolutely insane. Cant wait to see Okafor, Noel and Embiid just eat up defenses with that passing

santeesioux

Wow Festus Ezeli just got a 2 year deal? Compared to other bigs this is absolutely a great bargain deal for Portland.

His knees must be shot for that contract, but it's so small it's worth the gamble. This is Olshey's best move by far this summer.

Also with that contract they can bring all their rfas back.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The Durant heel turn continues

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/751233156452323332
Cmzqkr7XYAAxss_.jpg:large

I read that comment like 3 times and Im still confused

like nigga WHAT!?

Just say you hate black people like Michael Jordan do so you want us to kill each other over your kicks

Half his shoes end up on clearance anyway x outlets , same with lebrons x kobes , only the limited ones sell out
Those elite shoes retailing for $250+ just sit and sit

All you need are hyperdunks 😎

Fjordson

I agree on the quote, but not sure how having low priced shoes is a bad idea.

It's more corporate greed if anything.
Oh ideally shoes should cost less, but business wise it makes them look cheap to all the hypebeasts out there. Like it's not a premium shoe. One of the reasons all of Nike's price drops on various shoes haven't helped to catch up to Curry.

Like you can go lower than Jordans which are routinely $200 (and still sell out instantly) but $88 is too low.

I think people would have been pretty overall happy if durant went to boston. The team tradition and all plus I think he fits what they have very well. Wish that would have came through and I would have been pulling for celtics to go for it all i think

Really disappointing that he went to GS

Jarate

Banned
Embiid will also be travelling with the Summer League team, so we should be able to see him get some practice in with Ben and TJ

I can't wait to see Ben + Okafor though

Jon

Embiid will also be travelling with the Summer League team, so we should be able to see him get some practice in with Ben and TJ

I can't wait to see Ben + Okafor though

Not sure you'll get that chance. Someone is going to be traded before the season starts...and I'll admit, as much as I'd rather keep Noel over Okafor, I think Jahlil would be unstoppable offensively with Simmons. I mean, 30 PPG avg.

spyder_ur

Crabbe got a 4 yr/$75M offer sheet from Brooklyn. Wonder what the Blazers will do. I love when second rounders get their first huge deal - guy made $950K last year.

That Simmons pass to the corner on the drive was absurd.

gutshot

Not sure you'll get that chance. Someone is going to be traded before the season starts...and I'll admit, as much as I'd rather keep Noel over Okafor, I think Jahlil would be unstoppable offensively with Simmons. I mean, 30 PPG avg.

You think? I think if one of them were going to be traded it would have happened during or before the draft. At this point, it seems likely they will go into the season with all 3 bigs.

Tom Penny

The last like 30 scoring leaders didn't even have a great passer on their team getting them the ball unless you count Wesbrook to Durant.

Jarate

Banned
no way Okafor will average 30 ppg, but he can easily average 20-25 ppg this season with Simmons. His true shooting last year was 62% with Ish, and from everything ive seen, Simmons is way better at passing the ball then Ish was. Simmons also forces all the bigs to go towards him while he drives, and basically our most efficient play was him driving inside, drawing out two defenders and passing to someone inside for a dunk. Theyve missed some shots because we dont have any centers on our summer league squad (Wood is too small to play Center, Holmes is too short) so we dont have a great inside scorer on offense. Okafor with his elite post scoring will just be an offensive force getting the ball.

The main issue is if Okafor's elite offensive skills will be able to overshadow his defensive skills, but I dont see any reason why he can't play derfense well tbh. He's surprisingly athletic, and is just a big guy. He was 19 and clearly not in shape which is not surprising for a guy who's 271 Lbs and literally a year after his freshman season. The NBA regular season grind is real (Noel is a similar height and weighs 43 lbs less).

Also, if we have a single guy on our team that can hit open 3's, we will be so much more efficient. Last year, our best shooter shot under 40% from 3, Im hoping Bayless or Sergio Garcia can do that, and hey, maybe miracles can happen and Nik Stauskas can become that guy.

WE DID IT!!!!!

lol @ Okafor having 30ppg. He would need like 30 shots per game to get there.

If he develops his game to an absolute elite level, he could be able to reach it, barring he's able to play long enough in a game to do it. His TS% was really high. There is no way next year he'll average that number though, unless Ben Simmons is the best passer of all time in his rookie year.

I dont think we'll see a trade until the deadline. I dont think teams were that desperate for Noel or Okafor this past offseason with how many free agents there were. A team might get mighty desperate with a playoff push though.

I also see them keeping Okafor. Okafor is just a bigger name then Noel, and I honestly think Josh Harris is going to try to sell the team soon. Okafor will raise your value a lot more then Noel will.

spyder_ur

The last like 30 scoring leaders didn't even have a great passer on their team getting them the ball unless you count Wesbrook to Durant.

Yeah, it's not super important. If I were the Sixers though I would want someone who could prioritize passing the ball and getting the big men developed. Bayless, Rodriguez, and Henderson are not those guys. Unless they actually intend to start and play Simmons at mostly PG (I'm not opposed), their backcourt is still a disaster. For me, this year would be all about developing and knowing what I have with Oak, Noel, and Embiid. I'd want a soft landing for Simmons and some stability - similar to what the Jazz did with George Hill.

Of course, a trade could still be coming which would change everything I've said here.

Bread

Banned
If he develops his game to an absolute elite level, he could be able to reach it, barring he's able to play long enough in a game to do it. His TS% was really high. There is no way next year he'll average that number though, unless Ben Simmons is the best passer of all time in his rookie year.
shaq never averaged 30ppg, there's no fuckin way okafor does.

Tom Penny

no way Okafor will average 30 ppg, but he can easily average 20-25 ppg this season with Simmons. His true shooting last year was 62% with Ish, and from everything ive seen, Simmons is way better at passing the ball then Ish was. Simmons also forces all the bigs to go towards him while he drives, and basically our most efficient play was him driving inside, drawing out two defenders and passing to someone inside for a dunk. Theyve missed some shots because we dont have any centers on our summer league squad (Wood is too small to play Center, Holmes is too short) so we dont have a great inside scorer on offense. Okafor with his elite post scoring will just be an offensive force getting the ball.

The main issue is if Okafor's elite offensive skills will be able to overshadow his defensive skills, but I dont see any reason why he can't play derfense well tbh. He's surprisingly athletic, and is just a big guy. He was 19 and clearly not in shape which is not surprising for a guy who's 271 Lbs and literally a year after his freshman season. The NBA regular season grind is real (Noel is a similar height and weighs 43 lbs less).

Also, if we have a single guy on our team that can hit open 3's, we will be so much more efficient. Last year, our best shooter shot under 40% from 3, Im hoping Bayless or Sergio Garcia can do that, and hey, maybe miracles can happen and Nik Stauskas can become that guy.

I dont think we'll see a trade until the deadline. I dont think teams were that desperate for Noel or Okafor this past offseason with how many free agents there were. A team might get mighty desperate with a playoff push though.

I also see them keeping Okafor. Okafor is just a bigger name then Noel, and I honestly think Josh Harris is going to try to sell the team soon. Okafor will raise your value a lot more then Noel will.
Not sure why you think bigs are going to be up on Simmons. They will likely back of him like Rondo and Rubio.

Jarate

Banned
There is no way that Simmons is going to be the primary ball handler. he needs the ball right now to be effective. Literally no one else on the roster is a ball dominant player, McConnel can be that off the bench. Simmons will most likely guard the SF-PF position, but he can switch off onto everything. The Sixers should improve tremendously on defense though. Simmons is a good defender, I dont think he's elite yet, but his IQ is outstanding.

Noel, Simmons, Covington front court is really nasty on defense. Although our 3 point defense will probably be terrible again, but hey, we dont need to win games next season. The next draft is literally perfect for the Sixers, with bundles of guards and wing players. There's a 50% chance that if we suck, we can get 2 top 5 picks in a loaded draft if the lakers also suck.

Sergio Rodriguez signing is also something that's going to be interesting. Most people thought he was one of the best Euro players in the world, he also came to a perfect situation in Philly.

Our lineup is going to probably be

Okafor/Noel/Embiid
Simmons/Saric/Embiid/Landry/Holmes
Covington/Simmons/Saric/Thompson/Grant
Bayless/Luwawu/Stauskas/Thompson
Garcia/McConnel/Bayless

Top Bottom