• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Tom Penny

Crowder is a more valuable player than Gay to me at least. Gay has a good contact though. Maybe Ainge really thinks Stevens can make any player better than they are.

Cornbread78

I would not give up a 1st for Gay
I would not give up a Jae for Gay.
I do not want Rudy Gay
I do not like Rudy Gay.
I do not like him in a house.
I do not like him with a mouse.
I do not like him here or there.
I do not like him anywhere.

#DEAD, lol

Crowder is a better player than Gay though, and that's before you take their contracts into consideration. If the Celtics end up with Rudy Gay it will be because they had to eat his contract in order to get another player (DMC? Blake?). No good GM worth a shit actually wants Rudy Gay.

I'm not a big fan of either trade right now.... However, we can only draft SOO many guys, so as long as they keep the Brooklyn pick, I'd let it go..

They need a 2/3 combo wing that can shoot and they need a big men to pair up with Horford. I'm not really sure how they get either, unless they really do plan on giving Oly big minutes this year..

#DEAD, lol

I'm not a big fan of either trade right now.... However, we can only draft SOO many guys, so as long as they keep the Brooklyn pick, I'd let it go..

They need a 2/3 combo wing that can shoot and they need a big men to pair up with Horford. I'm not really sure how they get either, unless they really do plan on giving Oly big minutes this year..

Spoiler: Rudy Gay is a terrible shooter

Crowder is no Steph Curry himself but he's better defensively, more versatile and a better facilitator. He's a much better fit for what the Celtics do.

Bread

Banned
Rudy Gay is straight up not a better player than Crowder. He's a volume scorer, and that's it. Crowder is an excellent 3 and D guy on one of the best contracts in the league plus he plays great defense. The Celtics definitely need an ISO scorer but not at the cost of him.

spyder_ur

Does anyone know the logistics around trading the 2017 Brooklyn pick, since it's a pick swap rather than outright owning the pick? I've looked into this before and haven't found a good answer. Do they trade their own pick which comes with the swap attached?

Either way, the Celts are not trading Crowder and any pick of value for Gay.

I'm still waiting for something from a national reporter (i.e. Woj) before I get too riled about it.

Tubobutts

If Boston needs a wing player who is a 37% career three point shooter I bet the Lakers would be willing to trade Nick Young. Wouldn't even need to include Crowder, just the first round pick.

Cornbread78

If Boston needs a wing player who is a 37% career three point shooter I bet the Lakers would be willing to trade Nick Young. Wouldn't even need to include Crowder, just the first round pick.

y9KVKC3.gif

ByKaw1I.gif

Squalor

Barkley is on Lebatard's show victim blaming black people and, specifically, Philando Castile right now.

Not like this.

"Never put your I.D. near your gun."

"Most black people I know are killed by black people."

"Where's the outrage when black people kill other black people."

"You're not black, Dan. You can't tell me the outrage is the same."

"The cop probably just got scared and panicked."

Barkley is on Lebatard's show victim blaming black people and, specifically, Philando Castile right now.

Not like this.

The quality of his analysis on racial issues is even worse than his basketball analysis.

Not like this.

Come on Chuck....you know better than this damnit...

Fjordson

Not like this.

Chuck is an idiot. Harmful stances on social issues and a trash analyst.

Loved him as a player and he's entertaining, but it's best to not think too much whenever he's talking.

Squalor

Dan was so frustrated. I think if they had been having this conversation colloquially and not on the radio that he would have yelled.

But then Barkley would have just told him he wasn't black.

Fjordson

Dan was so frustrated. I think if they had been having this conversation colloquially and not on the radio that he would have yelled.

But then Barkley would have just told him he wasn't black.
Wasn't Ta-Nehisi Coates on today also? What an incredible contrast in one show lol.

Not like this.

Not surprising this came out of him..
Someone check me on this but Chuck said almost samee thing about Ferguson incident. It was so asinine it made Kenny even write a open letter for him in a newspaper. Like have you ever said something so dumb your friend got motivated to write a thousand word essay out of it
mjlol.png

No.

Butler, Wade and Rondo need to play together this season just for the pure spectacle of it all...
Just as when i thought the lane wouldn't get anymore clogged with defenders with a Wade, butler, Rondo lineup.. Bro comes up with a Wade Gay Rondo backcourt.😂

Edit: Wade, Josh smith, Rudy Gay and Rondo lineup would be amazing.

Mortemis

Banned
Zubac's midrange is so nice. He said in an interview before that his range extends out to 3pt range. I want to see him shoot some now, lol

jmizzal

Not like this.

Here we go with somebody bringing up black on black crime, blacks have been fighting against black on black crime for years, but as soon as we stand up and fight for crimes against us its wrong, and we need to worry about black on black crime, Barkley plz

lmao. Yo how hard must that slap have been for a cop in the area to be like "damn alright, we're taking you in".
Man, people need to chill. Let the dude enjoy his off season. I don't want to rag on Green, cause it seems to he was provoked by the dude, but he needs to be able to deescalate these situations.

Fjordson

Man, people need to chill. Let the dude enjoy his off season. I don't want to rag on Green, cause it seems to he was provoked by the dude, but he needs to be able to deescalate these situations.
It's probably unfair to ask this of players, but man I wouldn't even go out at 2 AM like that if I was an NBA player. You got so much more to lose than the people around you. Fuck that, just hire a bartender and invite people over to your house.

It's probably unfair to ask this of players, but man I wouldn't even go out at 2 AM like that if I was an NBA player. You got so much more to lose than the people around you. Fuck that, just hire a bartender and invite people over to your house.
This is true, but they are young guys with lots of money, they have a right to a seemingly "normal" life. But they aren't your average Joe and people will take offense on some things that normally don't warrant that response. Green is a smart player (basketball wise), he will learn from this I hope.

Yeah, just chill in your loft and bring the party to you, in an environment that you can control, would be better for them.

TheFatOne

Man, these trade rumors for the Celts are killing me, there are two scenerios out there that seem pretty legit at this point and it's obvious Danny has been working the phones to bring in another name of two.

S1:
Sending Crowder and the Brooklyn pick out West to bring in Griffin:

Thomas
Bradley
Brown
Griffin
Horford

hmm.... I'm not feeling this very much.

S2:
2 trades
Sending a 1st/crowder to SAC for Gay (not sure who else to balance salary)

Sending a first and Smart to Phi for Okafor

Thomas
Bradley
Gay
Horford
Okafor...

In both trades, they would still keep next years Brooklyn pick.

If the Celtics trade for Blake Griffin I won't watch a single game next season. He's fucking awful. Not sure how I feel about a trade for Okafor.

gutshot

FWIW Okafor flew out to Las Vegas to work with the Sixers training staff and to bond with his teammates. If a trade was imminent, not sure they would have him do that.

Ronin Ray

Just get a bodyguard or bodyguards

Jarate

Banned
If Im the celtics, Im way more interested in Noel then Okafor unless the future contract is something they really dont want to pay

Okafor or Blake dont do anything to solve their roster issues. They still need a dominant defensive big or a scorer on their roster. Blake can't shoot the ball outside and Okafor's defense was pretty bad (but would imrpove dramatically on the celtics, dont purely listen to the advanced stats on Okafor in terms of his rebounding and his defense) Okafor can also not shoot outside (yet, although his midrange game could be developing)

I want Simmons and okafor on the our all the time though. Okafors offense went to elite levels with a player who could go inside and pass, Simmons does everything Ish did but at 6'10" and with better court vision and a bigger want to share the ball. We need to put scorers around simmons, and unfortunately, while Noel's defense is legit great, his offensive deficiencies just wouldnt work well in that system.

jbug617

Banned
That 3 way deal has to be fake. The Clippers get hosed in that one.
They give up the best player in the deal for Rudy Gay? 1yr of Rudy Gay should not net you Jae Crowder.

spyder_ur

If Im the celtics, Im way more interested in Noel then Okafor unless the future contract is something they really dont want to pay

Okafor or Blake dont do anything to solve their roster issues. They still need a dominant defensive big or a scorer on their roster. Blake can't shoot the ball outside and Okafor's defense was pretty bad (but would imrpove dramatically on the celtics, dont purely listen to the advanced stats on Okafor in terms of his rebounding and his defense) Okafor can also not shoot outside (yet, although his midrange game could be developing)

To me, their only 'roster issue', if they have one, is a lack of top-flight talent. Blake certainly fits that bill. I think the need for a defensive big is far overstated, they were 5th in the NBA in defensive efficiency (tied with GS) and Horford is only an upgrade on the people that were seeing major minutes before. Blake is absolutely a scorer - not sure where you're getting that from - and he's a much improved outside shooter.

Honestly, what I love about the way the Celtics have built their roster is they're flexible enough to take in basically any guy and be able to maximize him, depending on outgoing pieces. The hard part is getting that guy.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
?!? Blake is better then anyone on that list lol, assuming he's healthy and back to form the guy is a top 10 talent.

I don't see how anybody could think this. His rebounding has declined year over year since his rookie season, outside of last season, which saw a slight bump, but was still less than double digits.

Never developed a solid jump shot for the pick and roll game, still has no touch. Relies too much on top flight athleticism and pin point passing from cp3, his offense is far more dependent on great setups than creating it himself. Don't know about his defense tbh.

His durability is a very real concern. He has had multiple serious knee injuries, from the fractured kneecap, so meniscus tears in both knees, cartilage damage, etc. He will not age well, and his skill game is not refined whatsoever to adapt. On top of that a deep playoff run is unlikely for him as that many miles wears on him.

this trolling really needs to stop, its corny

see above.

To me, their only 'roster issue', if they have one, is a lack of top-flight talent. Blake certainly fits that bill. I think the need for a defensive big is far overstated, they were 5th in the NBA in defensive efficiency (tied with GS) and Horford is only an upgrade on the people that were seeing major minutes before. Blake is absolutely a scorer - not sure where you're getting that from - and he's a much improved outside shooter.

Honestly, what I love about the way the Celtics have built their roster is they're flexible enough to take in basically any guy and be able to maximize him, depending on outgoing pieces. The hard part is getting that guy.

He does not fit that bill. Blake is fine as a secondary piece, but he's not a top flight talent. He doesn't do anything at an elite level outside of his insane athleticism. Doesn't block shots, doesn't create much for himself. He's a solid player, but not a superstar IMO.

I would DEFINITELY not trade next years nets pick with how loaded the draft projects to be and I definitely wouldn't include smart. Smart has more upside than both AB0 (overrated) or Crowder who i actually have grown to like. If the celts do settle for Blake, AB0, Crowder, and the '18 nets pick would be disappointing, but best case given the other scenarios. I honestly think that team would be worse. The celtics desperately need shooters and they lose two of their top shooters, and 2 top tier defenders.

Top Bottom