• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

I don't see how anybody could think this. His rebounding has declined year over year since his rookie season, outside of last season, which saw a slight bump, but was still less than double digits.

Never developed a solid jump shot for the pick and roll game, still has no touch. Relies too much on top flight athleticism and pin point passing from cp3, his offense is far more dependent on great setups than creating it himself. Don't know about his defense tbh.

His durability is a very real concern. He has had multiple serious knee injuries, from the fractured kneecap, so meniscus tears in both knees, cartilage damage, etc. He will not age well, and his skill game is not refined whatsoever to adapt. On top of that a deep playoff run is unlikely for him as that many miles wears on him.

see above.

He does not fit that bill. Blake is fine as a secondary piece, but he's not a top flight talent. He doesn't do anything at an elite level outside of his insane athleticism. Doesn't block shots, doesn't create much for himself. He's a solid player, but not a superstar IMO.

I would DEFINITELY not trade next years nets pick with how loaded the draft projects to be and I definitely wouldn't include smart. Smart has more upside than both AB0 (overrated) or Crowder who i actually have grown to like. If the celts do settle for Blake, AB0, Crowder, and the '18 nets pick would be disappointing, but best case given the other scenarios. I honestly think that team would be worse. The celtics desperately need shooters and they lose two of their top shooters, and 2 top tier defenders.

To be fair he plays with DeAndre Jordan so yeah his rebounding would be down, but I get he has health concerns.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
To be fair he plays with DeAndre Jordan so yeah his rebounding would be down, but I get he has health concerns.

I get that, but I think it has more to do with his legs. I think all the different surgeries and injuries have slowly but surely sapped him of his explosiveness. That's not to say it doesn't exist, because he still is tops in the league at that, but I think he's lost part of it or at least the willingness to go hard in certain situations. One bad landing and his career is never the same, and with all the cartilage and meniscus damage he's a time bomb.

jdstorm

Banned
If I were Boston I'd much rather go after Deandre Jordan then Blake Griffin, but that's just me. Boston is a little stuck because they have a whole bunch of average players on good contracts and they are treating them like superstars, because they are cheep. This becomes a problem in the playoffs when you are only playing 5 guys in crunch time and your best 5 is worse then the oppositions.

If I were Ainge I'd try to get Keneth Faried or Danillo Galinari, and an upgrade at PG

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
If I were Boston I'd much rather go after Deandre Jordan then Blake Griffin, but that's just me. Boston is a little stuck because they have a whole bunch of average players on good contracts and they are treating them like superstars, because they are cheep. This becomes a problem in the playoffs when you are only playing 5 guys in crunch time and your best 5 is worse then the oppositions.

If I were Ainge I'd try to get Keneth Faried or Danillo Galinari, and an upgrade at PG

They will not be upgrading at PG considering Danny and all of Boston LOVE isaiah. I'd take Jordan over BG all day I don't think that's an option though. The celtics struggled in the playoffs because of the lack of shooting and their depth took some serious hits with AB0 going down, Kelly Olynyk never getting to even 70% due to the shoulder, and Sullingers horrific conditioning.

Tom Penny

Celtics have average players so they get Faried and Gallo to add more average players?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yeah I don't see them replacing Isaiah, especially after all the recruiting he did to get Horford there.

I'm not a huge IT fan tbh, but I like his efficiency and I like his enthusiasm, he seems genuinely psyched to be a celts fan and has been going hard to recruit players. I truly believe he was a major factor in swaying horford this way, which in turn should help bring others in. That being said I like their pieces for the most part. I think bradley is very expendable.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Jaylen Brown seemed to have a good game today.

It was up and down, but it's clear why he went 3rd and was so highly recruited. When he puts it together he is ridiculously good. A monster rebounder for his size, incredibly lengthy and quick, super explosive, and ridiculous hops. He needs to tighten up his handle and lock down his jumpshot, but he's got a ridiculous amount of upside.

To be honest I think because of Blake's contract and off-court/injury issues he's probably more available than DJ.

The NBA has officially tweaked the "Hack-a-Shaq" rule for the 2016-17 season.
"The current rule for away-from-the-play fouls applicable to the last two minutes of the fourth period – pursuant to which the fouled team is awarded one free throw and retains possession of the ball – will be extended to the last two minutes of each period." In regards to inbounds situations, "a defensive foul at any point during the game that occurs before the ball is released by the inbounder will be administered in the same fashion as an away-from-the-play foul committed during the last two minutes of any period."
Via Roto:
Hack-A-player

pislit

Milwaukee Bucks' official Facebook account character assassinating TD. lol.

qR6qEjR.png

jdstorm

Banned
To be honest I think because of Blake's contract and off-court/injury issues he's probably more available than DJ.

I'd agree with that. I just feel like if you are going to give up that much for a player you may as well get someone who's better and suits what you want to do.

You wouldn't spend 50k on a Ford when 70K could net you a Porsche assuming that you had up to 100K to spend on a car. So for me I'd rather aim high

I'd agree with that. I just feel like if you are going to give up that much for a player you may as well get someone who's better and suits what you want to do.

You wouldn't spend 50k on a Ford when 70K could net you a Porsche assuming that you had up to 100K to spend on a car. So for me I'd rather aim high

If you were Mitch Kupchak you'd spend $45,000 on a 2007 Ford Taurus.

Kobe is having another Baby

Thank the Lord, God is good

Lord, give him a boy this time and allow him to fulfill the prophecy and help the San Angeles Lakers defeat the Cleveland Trumps in the 2040 NBA Finals and hang another banner in the rafters of the Condom Depot Center.

jbug617

Banned
Still trying to figure why would the Clippers trade Griffin. The only thing I could think of is that CP3 does not like him. Both can become FA after the season and it's possible the Clippers have to choose which one to keep. Keeping CP3 happy and keeps their door open to attracting more FA to come. I think more star players would choose CP3 over Griffin.

Cornbread78

Still trying to figure why would the Clippers trade Griffin. The only thing I could think of is that CP3 does not like him. Both can become FA after the season and it's possible the Clippers have to choose which one to keep. Keeping CP3 happy and keeps their door open to attracting more FA to come. I think more star players would choose CP3 over Griffin.

Outside of major injury concerns by Doc., that is one of my thoughts as well.

spyder_ur

Missed the Celts summer league game yesterday. Seems like Brown was pretty good and that Rozier was solid yet again?

I'm really excited about Brown's aggressiveness and ability to draw fouls. That's a real skill in the NBA. That slam over the big was awesome too.

Also, people are quickly forgetting how amazing Blake was just a season ago in the playoffs. Probably the 2nd or 3rd best player in that postseason. People that say his only skill is athleticism really aren't paying attention. I have some concerns about his health, but last season was kind of a freak (if idiotic) occurrence.

TheFatOne

Howard Beck says the buzz in Vegas is that Westbrook is going to be traded soon rather than later. The team that most likely will be trading for Russ is the C's.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/..._medium=share&utm_campaign=web-des-art-top-19

Do not want especially at the cost of the Brooklyn picks. Huge gamble if they traded for him, and the Cs don't have the best track record signing FA. Obviously if they can do it without the Brooklyns picks than go for it.

Cornbread78

Howard Beck says the buzz in Vegas is that Westbrook is going to be traded soon rather than later. The team that most likely will be trading for Russ is the C's.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/..._medium=share&utm_campaign=web-des-art-top-19

Only with a sign and trade that shows he is willing to stay. It's not worth it if he is going to bolt at the end of the year...

DVmamfv.gif

Look at fatty a$$' great defense... God Luck Toronto.

yrd8A6c.gif

MGVAsyQ.gif

He wants to be in LA with his woman though...

spyder_ur

It would be in keeping with their organization to make the move now instead of midseason. The nice thing about trading for Westbrook is it's easier to give up your backcourt pieces if you're getting one in return. 2 of Smart/Bradley/Crowder/isaiah is a solid place to start.

Do not want especially at the cost of the Brooklyn picks. Huge gamble if they traded for him, and the Cs don't have the best track record signing FA. Obviously if they can do it without the Brooklyns picks than go for it.

You have to give something up to get something. The Celtics just signed the #2 free agent so I'm not sure that narrative is so true. You know what else hasn't been kind to the Celtics? The lottery.

Obviously if you trade for Westbrook you need some indication he is open to resigning.

megalowho

Only with a sign and trade that shows he is willing to stay. It's not worth it if he is going to bolt at the end of the year...
There is no way OKC gets decent value for a one year rental of Westbrook, and if I'm Westbrook there's no way I agree to an extension when I'm a free agent next season. The fit in Boston is weird too - the guard rotation is nicely balanced, if they trade one of them it'll be for wing scoring or a versatile big.

All these Celtics rumblings over the past week seem like speculation and posturing at best, no legitimate sources are reporting anything.

TheFatOne

It would be in keeping with their organization to make the move now instead of midseason. The nice thing about trading for Westbrook is it's easier to give up your backcourt pieces if you're getting one in return. 2 of Smart/Bradley/Crowder/isaiah is a solid place to start.

You have to give something up to get something. The Celtics just signed the #2 free agent so I'm not sure that narrative is so true. You know what else hasn't been kind to the Celtics? The lottery.

Obviously if you trade for Westbrook you need some indication he is open to resigning.

It's an enormous gamble for a guy we already know wants to be in LA. Great player, but the risk is simply not worth it. They would need much more than just an indication that he is open to resigning. Why waste all your ammo trading for a guy who's going to be gone in a year. Might as well just wait a year, and try to sign him as a FA. Seems foolish to trade for a guy and hope he likes the Celtics enough that he would stick around.

nillah

Banned
Given the circumstances I still think what David Blatt did was remarkable, coming in straight to the game and leading a team to the championship which leaves me wondering why the dude doesn't have a nice position on a roster by now

spyder_ur

Given the circumstances I still think what David Blatt did was remarkable, coming in straight to the game and leading a team to the championship which leaves me wondering why the dude doesn't have a nice position on a roster by now

Isn't he coaching in Turkey? I got the sense he wasn't desperate to come back to the NBA; a lot of teams would like to have him as an assistant I'm sure.

Tom Penny

Can't trade for YNB without a guarantee. That being said if he said yes I'd do every pick. I know he won't commit he's an LA NY guy.

I don't see any way that Russell doesn't test free agency. Lakers and Knicks would be wise to cal OKC's bluff rather than pull a Melo and dump a bunch of assets for a guy they can just sign outright in a year.

Top Bottom