• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Brinbe

I actually think Bradley turned a corner this season and was on his way to reaching another level. He was really good. They really missed him in the playoffs.

And you could argue that it's Middleton that's reached his potential and has actually dropped off from where he was a few years ago with the Bucks.

Also, I don't know anyone that thinks that Middleton is a better defender than Avery Bradley, who is an All-NBA first team level defender.

ClfZhKQVAAEVkSO.jpg

The process is dead, long live the process.

Jarate

Banned
Simmons is also nowhere near the prospect Lebron was when he came out of high school.

Also, from everything I've read, I don't see any indication that Simmons doesn't have a "killer instinct"

spyder_ur

Bradley had basically reached his ceiling already Middleton has not. That is the difference. I've seen Bradley's whole career and the things he can't do well Create his own shots and plamaking are basically the same and barely improved. I would swap 3 and Bradley for Middleton Bucks pick.

Bradley's improved every year in the NBA and is only 25. Why can't he continue? Hell never be great at what you describe but he's very good to elite at a ton of things.

People forget how young Bradley is.

I'd take Middleton over Bradley any day of the week

Middleton is a really good defender

I'd probably prefer Middleton in a vacuum slightly for the better scoring, but the difference isn't huge and definitely not worth #3. That's crazy.

Also, Middleton has never played on a good team. Kind of concerns me. And he makes what, $5M more per?

Bread

Banned
LeBron was LeBron without the killer instinct for the first ten years of his career. You can learn when and how to take over games.
He doesn't have that look in his eyes, I don't think he wants it bad enough.

I actually think Bradley turned a corner this season and was on his way to reaching another level. He was really good. They really missed him in the playoffs.

And you could argue that it's Middleton that's reached his potential and has actually dropped off from where he was a few years ago with the Bucks.

Also, I don't know anyone that thinks that Middleton is a better defender than Avery Bradley, who is an All-NBA first team level defender.
Bradley is fantastic, don't get me wrong. He turned into a good spot up shooter which no one projected. The Cs need another guy who can create his own offense to take the load off of Isaiah's tiny shoulders.

Jarate

Banned
Middleton being on a bad team doesn't matter for multiple reasons. First, he's on off the ball player, which means he needs a proper #1 to be good. Isiah Thomas is much better then any of the primary ball handlers Middleton had other then the Greek Freak. Basically, Middleton is a really good 3 and D type player which add extra value over Bradley's elite defensive skills.

Middleton I think is also 23 right now, so if we put him on the standard basketball progression curve, he's still about 2 years away from his peak while Bradley is just hitting his peak. This can be a huge diffence between the two

Also, no one values the Celtics players because no on their team can really score all that well, and teams are looking for players who can shoot the ball effectively. They are also viewed as a "system" team that has a great coach rather then great players.

Also, Ainge is notorious for asking the world for stuff and over valuing his own stuff.

Jarate

Banned
Simmons looked pretty bad last year whenever I watched him. Of course the Sixers would take him.

You don't pass up a prospect who went 19-12-5 in college, especially one as freakishly athletic as Simmons is and who's only 19

I think I've seen that the only prospects who people would easily take over Simmons in the past few drafts are Anthony Davis, KAT, and pre-injury Embiid. That's a really good pedigree from scouts

I just don't see why you'd pass up on him for an "elite" scorer who shot less then 70% from free throws this year. Ingram is a good prospect, don't get me wrong, but Simmons is a top tier prospect, Simmons is like an Okafor or D'Angelo Russell tier prospect

Tom Penny

Bradley's improved every year in the NBA and is only 25. Why can't he continue? Hell never be great at what you describe but he's very good to elite at a ton of things.

People forget how young Bradley is.

I'd probably prefer Middleton in a vacuum slightly for the better scoring, but the difference isn't huge and definitely not worth #3. That's crazy.

Also, Middleton has never played on a good team. Kind of concerns me. And he makes what, $5M more per?
Bradley is what he is. A great defender who shoots 20 footers and can hit threes. He does not create his own offense for himself or others. Meh rebounder and terrible finisher at the rim. His weaknesses have marginally improved.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
the things I would've said after game 2 of the 2nd round of the western playoffs would've been enough to permaban me for 5 lifetimes. I have not watched a single second or know who won anything after that series. Did the Blazers pull the upset?

Brinbe

The power of Vivek!

Maybe they reach on Sabonis since the owner/Vlade loves his daddy. I can only hope and pray!

spyder_ur

Bradley is what he is. A great defender who shoots 20 footers and can hit threes. He does not create his own offense for himself or others. Meh rebounder and terrible finisher at the rim. His weaknesses have marginally improved.

His weaknesses have absolutely improved more than 'marginally', including most importantly shooting. He's not a terrible finisher - not sure where that's coming from. Whatever though. Trade him for Middleton so people can pick apart his weaknesses.

Again, Bradley has gotten better every year; that impresses me. And he's proven he can be very valuable for good teams.

Listened to a podcast with Kevin Pelton. His Jaylen Brown prediction and analytics terrifies me. Least favorite player in the top 10.

Jarate

Banned
more Sixers news too, Joel Embiid cleared for "light" 5 on 5 scrimmaging

it's happening guys, we might see Embiid play!

His weaknesses have absolutely improved more than 'marginally', including most importantly shooting. He's not a terrible finisher - not sure where that's coming from. Whatever though. Trade him for Middleton so people can pick apart his weaknesses.

Again, Bradley has gotten better every year; that impresses me. And he's proven he can be very valuable for good teams.

Listened to a podcast with Kevin Pelton. His Jaylen Brown prediction and analytics terrifies me. Least favorite player in the top 10.

Which podcast is this? I've been feening for some draft content.

spyder_ur

Which podcast is this? I've been feening for some draft content.

Weirdly, David Locke who is the Jazz PBP guy. He does a podcast called Locked On Jazz and another called Locked on NBA. Both have draft content now. Pelton pod was on the NBA feed.

Draft Express has a feed but it rarely works for me. Follow Givony on Twitter and you'll get links to some of his radio spots.

Jarate

Banned
Why do you get your hopes up?

I still expect Embiid to play effective minutes for Philly this year, and just the level of prospect he is is enough to make me salivate. Embiid, pre-injury, was one of the best prospects to ever come, comparable to Anthony Davis. He's grown 2 inches since that time, and has also put on muscle like no ones business. He's basically been likened as a basketball savant, and everyone who has seen him play including current basketball players have all raved and gushed about how good he is.

Of course, since he's a 76er player, he's going to destroy his knee bowling or something.

Im more excited to see him play finally much like I am with Saric, who is also looking incredible throughout his euro career. They both just have the physical tools to be really good basketball players, which im excited to see translate to the NBA. Embiid especially is something absolutely brilliant.

Jarate

Banned
lmao

For the sake of sanity of Philly fans, I hope the have at least a decent season

Ive preached this before, but most sixers fans actively supported the tanking. People didnt show up for the Iguodala years, the only time they'll show up is when a great player is playing for them, or they're good. It was an easier sell to the public because at least the GM and Owners were honest with the fans. It's much easier to accept losing when you're actively trying to lose to try and win later.

We're so used to loosing when our team is actively trying to win that it doesnt really bother us all that much tbh

jbug617

Banned
Noel is the guy the C's would want from the 76ers. Kind of crazy Noel is more valuable than Okafor but that is the NBA today.

Jarate

Banned
Noel is the guy the C's would want from the 76ers. Kind of crazy Noel is more valuable than Okafor but that is the NBA today.

Noel would be a good fit on any team, but the Celtics need scoring more then they need defense. I could see Isiah Thomas + NN Alley Opp being really good though, and this would definitely strengthen their team

In terms of trade, NN for #3 seems like an overpay for the Celtics, or shows how shitty value the #3 pick is this year.

76ers are going to have a really weird team comp again next year, but goddamn, if they get Dunn, their defense will become a lot more solid.

Tom Penny

Bradley is not a good finisher. I've seen him brick countless layups especially on the break. He hasn't improved as a playmaker or ball handler in three years nor at getting to the line. He's literally the same player the last 3 years. I don't know what you're seeing.

Jarate

Banned
Bradley is not a good finisher. I've seen him brick countless layups especially on the break. He hasn't improved as a playmaker or ball handler in three years nor at getting to the line. He's literally the same player the last 3 years. I don't know what you're seeing.

according to his stats last year, he shot 71% from within 3 feet which was the best % on the team. Im not saying you're wrong, because I havent watched enough of Bradley to know for sure, but the stats indicate he's the best "finisher" on your team

Tom Penny

according to his stats last year, he shot 71% from within 3 feet which was the best % on the team. Im not saying you're wrong, because I havent watched enough of Bradley to know for sure, but the stats indicate he's the best "finisher" on your team
I'll take watching nearly every game he's played.

Bread

Banned
He's certainly not a better finisher than IT.

Chase17

Kinda of want the C's to trade for Kevin Love. Although halfway throw typing this I'm already regretting having the idea.

Kevtones

Jaylen Brown was so bad towards the end of the year last year. Watch his awful performance in the NCAAs against Hawaii and be very very afraid.

He seems like a Sacremento Lings draft pick at this point

Yep. I will miss Mike and Mike (especially Mike B. Mike R was starting to sound 'too' drunk lol) but yeah Calabro is a very nice get. Now to see who the other fella is

Bill Walton for 3 games a year please. Mychal Thompson might be a good choice tbh. He's pretty okay for the Lakers and his personality is a good fit in Portland.

I mentioned this before but is that a ring you'd really want? I feel like it'd just be a reminder of the heartbreak of getting so close.

It'll sting for Varejao for sure, but remember it wasn't his choice that he got traded. He still loves this group, so he'll be glad to have it, it just won't have the same significance.

Top Bottom