• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

jbug617

Banned
Seems like the only deal that Danny could get is Okafor or Noel for #3 and he doesn't want to do that.

The Philadelphia 76ers, sources say, have been trying for some time to convince the Celtics to part with the No. 3 pick in a deal headlined by Sixers big man Jahlil Okafor or teammate Nerlens Noel, but Boston, to date, has resisted those pitches.‎

To be fair, the Mozgov trade sounds better when you say it was Dion Waiters + late 1st rd pick. :D

And let's be real: last year Mozgov was almost single-handedly the reason the team didn't implode. He brought a lot the team needed on the court to help get them some good wins at a time when they were fracturing. Those wins calmed the frayed nerves and attitudes that year. While I wish he'd find his mind and his game again, his contribution last season made that trade worth it. Dion Waiters was cancerous. I hope the summer is good for him if CLE plans to keep him on the roster. He's too young and showed too much promise in year 1 for me to feel comfortable shedding him.

Perhaps a bad habit that I don't give up on players that have shown potential. He was *so good* for us last season that I can't even reconcile 2015 Mozgov with 2016 Mozgov. Whether injuries or personal mental issues, I hope he figures them out. His low post game and defense was and is exactly what CLE needs at the C position, and I'd assume his contract will be quite affordable.

random25

Can't believe Dirk opted out to become free agent. With Howard and Dirk joining the free agent pool, we got a pretty interesting offseason so far.

Can't believe Dirk opted out to become free agent. With Howard and Dirk joining the free agent pool, we got a pretty interesting offseason so far.

I don't blame him. He took a massive paycut and they did absolutely nothing with it. I think he'll go to someone willing to pay him and not somewhere just to chase a ring. He would be perfect on the Celtics, especially if they draft Bender.

DCX

DCX
How in the world do the Knicks expect to trade for Rose with a pack of gum and a moldy sandwhich as assets?

DCX

jmizzal

I didnt think Kevin Durant going to GS at first made sense I thought it would be a bad fit, but after the disappearing act of Klay, Barnes and Curry in the finals, adding Durant would makes sense for them, his rebounding and length would be huge

I still hope he comes to the Heat and Pat Raily works that magic

I didnt think Kevin Durant going to GS at first made sense I thought it would be a bad fit, but after the disappearing act of Klay, Barnes and Curry in the finals, adding Durant would makes sense for them, his rebounding and length would be huge

I still hope he comes to the Heat and Pat Raily works that magic
And the byproduct of it hurting OKC is just an added bonus

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
And the byproduct of it hurting OKC is just an added bonus
It's almost as big of a bonus. Not only would GS get hugely upgraded, they would ROMP to the finals. Everyone is expecting OKC to be GS's biggest threat next year and if KD isn't there, cakewalk.

If KD goes to any team, it's actually a positive for the Warriors (unless he goes to the Spurs, lol).

Warriors with the long con. Throw one finals to get KD
I'm only kidding Cavs fans
and then win 4 straight. 4 for 1, who says no?

ACE 1991

At work watching Ben Simmons highlights on YouTube... So excited for this kid, his passing ability is unbelievable. I'm SO freaking ready for relevant basketball in Philadelphia again. If Embiid can play (and not get hurt) I think the Sixers are positioned to build something special over the next few seasons.

I've given in to the fact that the Celtics are taking Dunn and we'll now have a million guards that can't shoot.

Edit:

Manu Ginobili opted out of the last year of his deal.

Bread

Banned
I'm not the biggest Dunn fan but that's not an awful draft, although I'd like the C's to take a chance on Thon.

I always thought that was the one big knock against him.
I think the biggest issue is that he's not a one and done, and it took him a little while to develop. Scouts are crazy about him though, I wouldn't mind taking a PC boy at all.

I hate you.

Well yeah, I don't want him with our first pick but I'd rather take a chance on him than some international draft and stash guy with one of our later picks.

The thing is though, he's going to be a draft and stash guy. Scouts say he's so raw (no fundamentals/all flash) that any team that picks him up, should just send him overseas to play international ball for a few years. I get it though..You watch his highlights and it's damn some of those moves are ridiculous but then he doesn't consistently do it. His shooting isn't accurate despite his videos demonstrating his range and he gets bullied in the post against similar competition at the HS level in Canada despite looking like a bulked up pro player already. That said, I'd want the Warriors to draft Thon with their 1st round pick....only with Logo's approval though.

Looks like Boston might spend their second round pick on Zhou Qi.

84GZE9S.png

In more important news, Ingram, Dunn, Dragan and Jaylen Brown have all signed with adidas, while to nobody's surprise Ben Simmons signed a $20 million deal with Nike. Kinda surprising that for all the buzz about their deal with Curry that Under Armor was seemingly shut out when it comes to the biggest draft day names.

Biolink

Maybe go Gibson as a small ball 5? Depends what you think Mirotic's future is. If we can get Baldwin as PG, maybe get something for D Rose (Lopez?) - could be a decent team. Could go wings as Baldwin / Butler / Mirotic and bigs as Lopez / Gibson / Portis?
=

I would hate this scenario. Baldwin is not ready to start. He has shaky handles, average court vision, and he's a bad finisher at the rim. The only thing that projects is his defensive versatility and his shooting. Even in the case of his shooting there is an unreasonably steep drop-off everywhere after his spot-up shooting(which is strange for someone that is touted as a shooter). I'll go a step farther and say he's not even ready to run the 2nd unit offense if he has to shoulder the burden of Snell, and Dunleavy.

random25

I don't blame him. He took a massive paycut and they did absolutely nothing with it. I think he'll go to someone willing to pay him and not somewhere just to chase a ring. He would be perfect on the Celtics, especially if they draft Bender.

I doubt he'll go anywhere though. Maybe Cuban will offer him something bigger to make him stay. Cuban likes him more than any other player.

spyder_ur

One of my favorite draft/prospect themes is the case when noone is sure how old a guy is. Will probably keep him out of the first round.

Reading/listening to alot of draft stuff. There's a lot of buzz about Valentine falling because of questions around his knees - that's usually a very bad sign when that leaks around this time. Hernangomez, Baldwin, and the two bigs from the Adriatic League (Zubac and Zizic) are definitely rising. That league has produced a lot of good NBA bigs recently (Pekovic, Nurkic, Jokic).

I think the group of American bigs that have been lumped together from the end of the lottery to the middle of the first round will be interesting to see. Someone will fall into the 20s out of Poeltl, D. Davis, Sabonis, Ellenson, Skal. All have major questions, especially with today's NBA trends.

Top Bottom