• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Kevtones

sux0Y4B.png

Dirk to the Celtics.

Aw. I kinda liked the idea of Dirk finishing in Dallas :/

bender

What time is it?
Aw. I kinda liked the idea of Dirk finishing in Dallas :/

He probably still will. This move will give the Mavs more wiggle room to fail in free agency and if nothing pans out, he'll be able to demand more money and another year under contract. He wants to play 20 years.

B.O.O.M

Jaylen Brown was so bad towards the end of the year last year. Watch his awful performance in the NCAAs against Hawaii and be very very afraid.

He seems like a Sacremento Lings draft pick at this point

Bill Walton for 3 games a year please. Mychal Thompson might be a good choice tbh. He's pretty okay for the Lakers and his personality is a good fit in Portland.

Bill Walton would be like a less drink Mike R..and I'm all for it (I still watch the Shaq Phoenix rant of his from time to time lol)

i'm not too high on Mychal Thompson tbh.

Pachimari

The draft lottery was already held last month and the Lakers got the second pick in the draft.

I didn't realize this. Thanks for enlightening me, now it all makes more sense!

So after the draft when everyone have picked two players, can all clubs then proceed to do trades, buy off each other and sign free agents?

Bread

Banned
Dirk would look good in a Celtics jersey, he could back up Kelly Olynyk and be a good guy to have at the end of the bench.

Brian Windhorst gives every decision the Cavs have made in the last two years an A because they won a title.

Heard that on the Lowe Post podcast, too. Can you argue with it? Yeah, they traded Wiggins. Yeah, they gave up their own first and somebody else's recently acquired first for Mozgov. Yeah, they overpaid Tristan Thompson. Yeah, they overpaid Shumpert. Yeah, they're going to have to figure out what to do with Kevin Love.

But they won a championship. 29 other teams in the league didn't. 12 other teams in the league never have. And Cleveland hasn't had a championship since 1964.

Every move: A. Better yet? Rip the report card up, it doesn't matter, they won a ring.

Sandfox

The Lakers will be officially introducing Luke Walton in 15 minutes.

I didn't realize this. Thanks for enlightening me, now it all makes more sense!

So after the draft when everyone have picked two players, can all clubs then proceed to do trades, buy off each other and sign free agents?

Most teams discuss trades either before or during the draft, but trades may happen afterwards. Free agency starts July 1st.

Gigglepoo

Zach Lowe is saying the Cavs were really pissed when Klay said the Warriors were better than the Showtime Lakers. I always thought that comment was a sly jab toward his dad. Good for the Cavs for using that as fuel but I never took the comments seriously.

Heard that on the Lowe Post podcast, too. Can you argue with it? Yeah, they traded Wiggins. Yeah, they gave up their own first and somebody else's recently acquired first for Mozgov. Yeah, they overpaid Tristan Thompson. Yeah, they overpaid Shumpert. Yeah, they're going to have to figure out what to do with Kevin Love.

But they won a championship. 29 other teams in the league didn't. 12 other teams in the league never have. And Cleveland hasn't had a championship since 1964.

Every move: A. Better yet? Rip the report card up, it doesn't matter, they won a ring.

Um,yes? The results are incredible but that doesn't mean every move they made was great, that's just silly. They won despite their GM (at times), not because of him. But, as Windhorst said, LeBron covers up a lot of mistakes. Dude is good at basketball.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters

Tristan is only overpaid in the sense that he isn't generally that great. However, he is Warrior kryptonite which means he is basically invaluable.

So, ESPN "sources" indicate Warriors plan full push for Durant:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16395589/kevin-durant-golden-state-warriors-top-target-free-agency

Max contracts are completely unbalancing the NBA. Considering how the Warriors almost won the title without any contribution from a starter (Barnes was 5 for 32 and most of those were open shots...) and swap in the second best offensive player in the NBA...game over barring injuries for the next 5-6 years.

Bread

Banned
Tristan Thompson and Kevin Love combine to be an elite player against all other teams in the league, and they only make over $40 combined! I give that contract an A.

offtopic

Zach Lowe is saying the Cavs were really pissed when Klay said the Warriors were better than the Showtime Lakers. I always thought that comment was a sly jab toward his dad. Good for the Cavs for using that as fuel but I never took the comments seriously.

I find "fuel" reasons for a team winning to be largely laughable. In the last 4+ minutes the teams only made one combined basket. If Curry makes one of his 3s and Kyrie misses that contested 3 then there is a totally different "fuel" argument but the reality is that a good team made one more shot than another good team.

Gigglepoo

I find "fuel" reasons for a team winning to be largely laughable. In the last 4+ minutes the teams only made one combined basket. If Curry makes one of his 3s and Kyrie misses that contested 3 then there is a totally different "fuel" argument but the reality is that a good team made one more shot than another good team.

i mean, you're right. But who knows? The Cavs came out like molten lava in G3 and G6.

Also, Wilbon was saying on PTI yesterday that the Warriors lost because they're a jump shooting team, ignoring how the two teams went 2-18 down the stretch, the two makes 3 pointers from Cleveland. Hating analytics turns people into terrible basketball evaluators. You don't have to use numbers as law but if you think the whole science is trash, you're just ignoring reality to fit your narrative.

Wilbon did the same thing with Kyrie. When he started to score, he argued he had changed his game, but that wasn't true. He was still a ball-dominant over dribbler, but that's not a problem anymore when you're making the most acrobatic shots I've ever seen.

Fjordson

Also, Wilbon was saying on PTI yesterday that the Warriors lost because they're a jump shooting team, ignoring how the two teams went 2-18 down the stretch, the two makes 3 pointers from Cleveland. Hating analytics turns people into terrible basketball evaluators. You don't have to use numbers as law but if you think the whole science is trash, you're just ignoring reality to fit your narrative.

Wilbon did the same thing with Kyrie. When he started to score, he argued he had changed his game, but that wasn't true. He was still a ball-dominant over dribbler, but that's not a problem anymore when you're making the most acrobatic shots I've ever seen.
It's all a bit silly. Especially when the go-ahead basket was a contested step back 3 lol.

I'm on ESPN / sports talk blackout until free agency. Not interested in all the ignorant hot takes.

Sandfox

i mean, you're right. But who knows? The Cavs came out like molten lava in G3 and G6.

Don't listen to anything Wilbon says. Even SAS was calling him out yesterday lol.

shwimpy

Is Mitch really the best person the Lakers have to introduce new personnel to the team? Dude is the antithesis of excitement.

offtopic

My favorite is how Kyrie manages to make a huge number of absolute circus shots and that is an indictment of Curry's defense (even the decisive 3 pointer was contested and wll defended). As a defender all you want to do is force your opponent into low percentage shots knowing that they'll make some. Kyrie made a lot so congrats him.

Fjordson

I listen to PTI everyday. TK is my favorite guy working at ESPN but Wilbon is just so ignorant it kind of hurts. I'd be happier if it was TK and Le Batard.
Yup.

Wilbon's the guy who consciously said this in an article for ESPN.

One stat, according to ESPN Stats & Information, assigned Curry some number in excess of 100 for his 3-point sniping from the corners. This tells you just how bogus the exercise is if the “percentage” reports to be greater than 100.

It’s like calculating points per 100 possessions, a very popular go-to stat in NBA circles. Why is that more important than points per 48 minutes, which is the actual time in which an NBA game is played?
kpTtT.gif

Gigglepoo

My favorite is how Kyrie manages to make a huge number of absolute circus shots and that is an indictment of Curry's defense (even the decisive 3 pointer was contested and wll defended). As a defender all you want to do is force your opponent into low percentage shots knowing that they'll make some. Kyrie made a lot so congrats him.

You're totally right. Klay was also great against Kyrie but, as we've seen many times in the past, great offense > great defense. I'm still shocked at how great Kyrie was during the Finals. I never thought he had it in him. What were the odds that he would outperform both Steph and Klay going into the series? 100:1? 1000:1?

It's all a bit silly. Especially when the go-ahead basket was a contested step back 3 lol.

I'm on ESPN / sports talk blackout until free agency. Not interested in all the ignorant hot takes.

Yeah I'm on sports talk blackout for a while...all this shit still stings.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Luke sounds like a young Phil Jackson. It's kind of freaky.

Hopefully he ends up doing a better job than the old Phil Jackson.

Also can't believe anyone is surprised Dwight opted out. He's still a top 5 FA this year and 20+ teams can make a max work and then some. He is going to get the max, I don't know why people seem baffled by this.

Fjordson

Man I think Dwight could really help GS. Maybe even more than Horford. Just not sure he's worth the risk with the recent injuries, though.

I don't think we can afford Dwight (thankfully) ...He's looking for more than his current 23 mil a year..We have roughly 18 mil to work with but only 6 players under contract (well 5 but taking the team option on Livingston is a no brainer).

Nafai1123

Banned
These rumors about KD going to GSW are just going to crush my dreams all over again. When is it enough you damn click-bait bastards!?

It's like the whole Kobe to the Clippers thing... A lot of pundits talking but you know it ain't gonna happen. KD is smart enough to recognize that he has all the necessary pieces to compete for a chip.

Someone tell me why Derrick Williams and Arron Affalo are opting out of their contracts with the Knicks.
How fucked is this new cap hit?

Knicks are already winning this off-season.

Tom Penny

You're totally right. Klay was also great against Kyrie but, as we've seen many times in the past, great offense > great defense. I'm still shocked at how great Kyrie was during the Finals. I never thought he had it in him. What were the odds that he would outperform both Steph and Klay going into the series? 100:1? 1000:1?
Kyrie went HAM the last 5 games and without that they don't win the title on the other side GS couldn't get away with 3 straight games of vet min Barnes. Curry clearly did not play good enough either.

Gigglepoo

Kyrie went HAM the last 5 games and without that they don't win the title on the other side GS couldn't get away with 3 straight games of vet min Barnes. Curry clearly did not play good enough either.

If the Pacers can't win the title, I'm rooting for the rubber match. Cavs were the better team but I think a lot of that came down to attitude.

Tom Penny

If the Pacers can't win the title, I'm rooting for the rubber match. Cavs were the better team but I think a lot of that came down to attitude.

It came down to simply tough shot making and the Cavs were able to somehow get away with 75% of the offense in ISO with Lebron and Kyrie.

Basketball noob here with a question.

Was lurkin a thread on gaf and saw some posts on coli (about durant/gsw). Would Silver stop the Durant to GSW thing for "basketball reasons"?

Or were those posts a joke referencing the stern thing?

Sandfox

Was lurkin a thread on gaf and saw some posts on coli (about durant/gsw). Would Silver stop the Durant to GSW thing for "basketball reasons"?

The league can't stop KD from signing with another team.

No. Basketball reasons was a one-off thing due to the circumstances. The Hornets were in the middle of being sold, so technically all of the other owners collectively owned them until then. The NBA stupidly decided to still let the Hornets GM make trades, he made one with the Lakers, publicly announced it, and other owners (Cuban and Gilbert IIRC) bitched about it, causing the league to have to cancel the trade. The league put themselves in a dumb spot to begin with, but it's not like they are going to go around blocking trades or free agent signings.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Someone tell me why Derrick Williams and Arron Affalo are opting out of their contracts with the Knicks.
How fucked is this new cap hit?

Knicks are already winning this off-season.

Afflalo will get 15+ mil a year. This FA is going to be insane. I expect Gasol and Noah to get 16+ mil mil a year as well. Barnes will get a max even after the finals. There are 20 teams with room for a max player.

Did those last few finals games remind anyone else of Pleasantville lol?

It's like the splash bros found about sex and couldn't hit anything.

The league can't stop KD from signing with another team.

No. Basketball reasons was a one-off thing due to the circumstances. The Hornets were in the middle of being sold, so technically all of the other owners collectively owned them until then. The NBA stupidly decided to still let the Hornets GM make trades, he made one with the Lakers, publicly announced it, and other owners (Cuban and Gilbert IIRC) bitched about it, causing the league to have to cancel the trade. The league put themselves in a dumb spot to begin with, but it's not like they are going to go around blocking trades or free agent signings.

Ahh, ok, got it now. Thought it would be stupid for the commissioner to be able to just block someone signing to a team like that. The issue with Hornets being in the middle of being sold also clears up most of the stern/basket reasons things as well.

Top Bottom