• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

PYLVQgm.png

What a bitch.

Why Russell Westbrook chose a post-KD Oklahoma City - The Vertical

When Russell Westbrook traveled to Oklahoma City to meet with general manager Sam Presti in the aftermath of the franchise’s lost weekend in the Hamptons, Westbrook held no interest for a post-mortem on Kevin Durant. For a front office still mired in angst and anger, Westbrook delivered a sobering splash of ice water: What’s next?

No nostalgia, no reflection and no regret: In Westbrook’s world, Durant had been deleted like his old teammate’s text message saying goodbye on the way to Golden State.

Durant broke up with Westbrook via text? What a bitch.

FZZ

Banned
Westbrook bout to average a triple double and then drop a quadruple double on KD's bitch ass their first meeting

SSB mode activated brehs

Ronin Ray

Westbrook...he is a King. The next page should just be pictures of Westbrook dominating. In preparation for next season.

But then the next page we would have to post nothing but pictures of him taking bad shoots and coming up small at the end of games. We have to keep things fair and balanced in the NBA Offseason Thread

TylerD

Russ has been the heart and soul of the Thunder for a loooooong time now. His fire, competitive effort and athleticism were a sight to behold for the 3 years I got to watch him in person. The True Alpha has his own team for now.

Shame that KD seems to be 100% bitch made.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
hATSetI.png

You know what? Kanter is alright.

Enes Kanter is awesome, and the Thunder have a legit team on paper with him, Adams, Oladipo and Ilyasova as a starting five.

I loved watching Domatas Sabonis play at Gonzaga. He has a lot of potential and should contribute off the bench even in his rookie year.

watershed

Banned
Not sure if serious. Ola, that tall mustached dude and ynb is a great core. Billy donovan is a great coach too. Sure they are not Dubs level stacked, but ynb ain't a pussy. He can hold his own.

With Westbrook on that team, OKC will always do well in the west but I don't think they're a team that is improving year after year. Westbrook is about to go off next season for sure, and Donovan was a good hire, but I don't see them as ascending.

Hitta93

Banned
I must ask...

Does anyone truly believe Westbrook ever surpassed Durant as the superior player in OKC?

The narrative has been constantly changing with that organization for years.

I must ask...

Does anyone truly believe Westbrook ever surpassed Durant as the superior player in OKC?

I thought he could've he just made better shot selections and became a better shooter. He already does everything else better.

qcf x2

I must ask...

Superior? Maybe not. More valuable? Yes, I truly believe that.

Marz

I fuck with Russell Westbrook. Fuck the Warriors.

Gonna enjoy watching Lebron and Westbrook dominate next season.

Ronin Ray

I thought he could've he just made better shot selections and became a better shooter. He already does everything else better.

Wait what you think Westbrook could become a better shooter then KD if his shoot selection was better? Nah I can't believe anyone who watches basketball thinks this.

Ronin Ray

I don't know. I don't know what "like a bitch" means.

Come on you know in sports if you leave a team and there are reports out there where you didn't leave like every tough guy on the internet would have your a bitch. Even though none of us know how KD and Westbrook relationship really is.

Fjordson

Come on you know in sports if you leave a team and there are reports out there where you didn't leave like every tough guy on the internet would have your a bitch. Even though none of us know how KD and Westbrook relationship really is.
Pretty much.

Like he handled a super awkward and uncomfortable situation in a potentially super awkward and uncomfortable way (allegedly). Humans do that sometimes.

Misterhbk

I think a lot of you are going to be reeeeally disappointed in the Thunder this season. Where do you guys have them getting any offensive production from? I mean sure guys can get better but how much more than his 16 a game is Oladipo going to score? Russ will already be doing way too much for the team so expecting him to score 30 every night and dish out 10 assist to a bunch of guys who can't shoot seems like a stretch. Kanter can give them his usual 15-17 a night I suppose but we know the defensive issues that he comes with the moment he touches the court. Adams is strictly a roll man/put back scorer and probably won't get more than 10 a game. I just don't see where they generate any offense. Especially with how cramped their floor spacing is going to be. Add in that only 3-4 rotation guys they play will actually be plus defenders and it's just disaster waiting to happen.

nillah

Banned
Who is hyping up the thunder lol

They are treadmill status right now
I mean, they're a strong playoff team. Right now I'm still seeing the Spurs coming out of the West with Aldridge taking them to another level.

Does anyone think players would be less injury prone if the league was year round with games more spaced out?

And to be fair with KD, he's not the only fake tough guy the lil dubs signed 😎

Resilient

I think a lot of you are going to be reeeeally disappointed in the Thunder this season. Where do you guys have them getting any offensive production from? I mean sure guys can get better but how much more than his 16 a game is Oladipo going to score? Russ will already be doing way too much for the team so expecting him to score 30 every night and dish out 10 assist to a bunch of guys who can't shoot seems like a stretch. Kanter can give them his usual 15-17 a night I suppose but we know the defensive issues that he comes with the moment he touches the court. Adams is strictly a roll man/put back scorer and probably won't get more than 10 a game. I just don't see where they generate any offense. Especially with how cramped their floor spacing is going to be. Add in that only 3-4 rotation guys they play will actually be plus defenders and it's just disaster waiting to happen.

who you talking to man

Can't wait to see Russel fucking dominate this season!!

Bread

Banned
I mean, they're a strong playoff team. Right now I'm still seeing the Spurs coming out of the West with Aldridge taking them to another level.

Does anyone think players would be less injury prone if the league was year round with games more spaced out?

And to be fair with KD, he's not the only fake tough guy the lil dubs signed 😎
They are a bottom 4 playoff team at best. They will get wins but they don't have the shooting skills to win tough games against the best.

Fjordson

Thunder and Westbrook are getting way too much shine right now lol.

Some of these Westbrook articles are too funny. The guy made it so that he got a raise for the short term and then will hit the market right as he's eligible for the 10 year max. As usual with sports, think his deal had very little to do with "loyalty" and was more just a smart financial move.

This would shock me tbh. Got bounced early last year with a better team.

overcast

Yeah, I'm thinking this was just the logical step for Westbrook and the Thunder. Gonna have to praise him for loyalty though, cause fuck KD basically.

I get it, but it's certainly not pure loyalty.

jdstorm

Banned

Let's take a look at the scoring they lost.
Durant, Ibaka, waiters and foye averaged 56.2 points per game on 44.9 shots per game

What they still have
Westbrook 23.5 points 18.1 shots Enes Kanter 12.7 points on 8.8 shots Steven Adams 8 points on 5.3 shots. Andre Roberson 4.8 points on 3.9 shots and Cameron Payne 5 points on 4.9 shots.

Totals 54ppg on 40.8 shots
That's reasonably efficient throw in 24.1 points on 20.1 shots for Oladipo and Ilyasova and that leaves OKC at 78.1 ppg with 24.8 spare shots.
Assuming OKC played at the same pace and scored at 1ppp on those spare shots that would give OKC an estimated 102.9 PPG next season

Edit Adjusting for Pace. That would give OKC an 107.1 ORTG and place them within last years top 10 on Offense.

It's also worth noting that OKC may actually improve as a 3pt shooting team without Durant. Durant shot .387 on 6.7 attempts per game. And he was OKCs best 3pt shooter last season. With Ilyasova and Alex Abrines noted Shooters who are joining the roster, combined with better shot selection. It is possible that OKC will shoot better from 3 next season without Durant.

Some of these Westbrook articles are too funny. The guy made it so that he got a raise for the short term and then will hit the market right as he's eligible for the 10 year max. As usual with sports, think his deal had very little to do with "loyalty" and was more just a smart financial move.

The offseason it's the time for hopes & dreams, even philly has increased levels of hopium (they should though). There's plenty of time to process reality and sadness.

rambis

Banned

He couldve been on the market this year, though. Demanding whatever salary he wanted. Its not like OKC is the only one who would pay him. He could have left for any team he wanted on a short term deal with PO and opt out and have the same paycheck by 2018.

Misterhbk

Let's take a look at the scoring they lost.
Durant, Ibaka, waiters and foye averaged 56.2 points per game on 44.9 shots per game

What they still have
Westbrook 23.5 points 18.1 shots Enes Kanter 12.7 points on 8.8 shots Steven Adams 8 points on 5.3 shots. Andre Roberson 4.8 points on 3.9 shots and Cameron Payne 5 points on 4.9 shots.

Totals 54ppg on 40.8 shots
That's reasonably efficient throw in 24.1 points on 20.1 shots for Oladipo and Ilyasova and that leaves OKC at 78.1 ppg with 24.8 spare shots.
Assuming OKC played at the same pace and scored at 1ppp on those spare shots that would give OKC an estimated 102.9 PPG next season

Edit Adjusting for Pace. That would give OKC an 107.1 ORTG and place them within last years top 10 on Offense.

It's also worth noting that OKC may actually improve as a 3pt shooting team without Durant. Durant shot .387 on 6.7 attempts per game. And he was OKCs best 3pt shooter last season. With Ilyasova and Alex Abrines noted Shooters who are joining the roster, combined with better shot selection. It is possible that OKC will shoot better from 3 next season without Durant.

This would be nice if defense didn't exist. Durant made them a much more difficult team to defend a year ago. How do you defend OKC now? Sag off all their guards, and stay home on the forwards. Gives the guards no shooters to pass to (they won't shoot better from 3 without Durant lol) and gives the guards no lanes to work with. They don't have a second superstar to bail them out. No one fears Roberson or even Dipo shooting so Russ is going to feel that added defensive pressure big time. Will Donovan be willing to sacrifice defense and play Albrines and Illyasova at the same time to have better shooting? Seems highly risky. Especially now that Adams is the only defensive big they have he'd have to be playing with those two at all times, and that may be asking too much of him.

That's what interest me most about OKC. Not the Russ show cause we've seen it before (and it was impressive), but how will Adams hold down the fort without Ibaka there to play next to him. Ibaka was still amazing defensively last year, and I think there's merit to the thought he made Adams look better than he really is.

Top Bottom