• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Fjordson

He couldve been on the market this year, though. Demanding whatever salary he wanted. Its not like OKC is the only one who would pay him. He could have left for any team he wanted on a short term deal with PO and opt out and have the same paycheck by 2018.
He had no reason to, though. The Dunc'd On podcast talked about this in more detail, but basically with Cleveland and Golden State being what they are at the moment going somewhere else would have been a lateral move competitively. This guarantees him more money immediately under the guise of loyalty and still sets up him for a 10 year max offer. It doesn't' necessarily signal long term commitment to OKC.

That's not to say Russ doesn't genuinely enjoy playing in OKC or that he's for sure leaving for somewhere else in a few years, but it's silly to paint this as some pure act of heroic loyalty.

jdstorm

Banned
This would be nice if defense didn't exist. Durant made them a much more difficult team to defend a year ago. How do you defend OKC now? Sag off all their guards, and stay home on the forwards. Gives the guards no shooters to pass to (they won't shoot better from 3 without Durant lol) and gives the guards no lanes to work with. They don't have a second superstar to bail them out. No one fears Roberson or even Dipo shooting so Russ is going to feel that added defensive pressure big time. Will Donovan be willing to sacrifice defense and play Albrines and Illyasova at the same time to have better shooting? Seems highly risky. Especially now that Adams is the only defensive big they have he'd have to be playing with those two at all times, and that may be asking too much of him.

That's what interest me most about OKC. Not the Russ show cause we've seen it before (and it was impressive), but how will Adams hold down the fort without Ibaka there to play next to him. Ibaka was still amazing defensively last year, and I think there's merit to the thought he made Adams look better than he really is.

2 seasons ago, OKC were faced with this very same situation. After the All Star break, Durant, And Ibaka were both injured. OKC were fine offensively playing Westbrook, Augustin Waiters, Roberson, morrow, Kanter Adams and McGary as their main rotation. From that group OKC next year will be upgrading at SG with Oladipo ( who is a much better shooter then he's getting credit for. He shot >.400 from the corners last season) and Augustin with Cameron Payne who is also projected to be a good shooter, and was the 3rd best passer on the team last season behind Westbrook and Durant.

In practice OKC will rely on Kanter/Adams to rebound defensively and trigger as many fast breaks on offense as they can, and then have them clean up as many perimeter bricks as possible. Westbrook and Oladipo will just Jack shots if they are open, and if one of them is off the floor Payne and Abrines will provide floor spacing since they are good shooters. Offensively they will be fine. Defensively... A best case scenario is probably 15-20th

rambis

Banned
He had no reason to, though. The Dunc'd On podcast talked about this in more detail, but basically with Cleveland and Golden State being what they are at the moment going somewhere else would have been a lateral move competitively. This guarantees him more money immediately under the guise of loyalty and still sets up him for a 10 year max offer. It doesn't' necessarily signal long term commitment to OKC.

That's not to say Russ doesn't genuinely enjoy playing in OKC or that he's for sure leaving for somewhere else in a few years, but it's silly to paint this as some pure act of heroic loyalty.
Yeah but the point is he could go to LA or Miami or some other huge market and make alot more than he ever could in OKC. And he could've did it next year. And probably attract better free agents. I don't think competing with CLE/GS factored at all in his decision.

Yeah but the point is he could go to LA or Miami or some other huge market and make alot more than he ever could in OKC. And he could've did it next year. And probably attract better free agents. I don't think competing with CLE/GS factored at all in his decision.

NBA salary-wise, he'd make the same. IN terms of endorsements, Durant and Harden both signed seven figure shoe deals playing in OKC and Houston respectively. Westbrook himself is the face of Jordan Brand despite playing in a mid-small market. The game is global enough now that you don't have to be in a big market to become a huge, bankable star. What Westbrook basically did was sacrifice one year of free agency in exchange for a pretty huge raise and some security and familiarity both financially both on and off the court, and it gives him an extra year to see how the landscape of the NBA looks before deciding where he wants to spend the rest of his career. Unless he completely falls off a cliff physically and becomes Derrick Rose over the next 2 seasons he will come out of this ahead and with a massive, guaranteed contract, either from the Thunder or someone else. It's pretty much a win-win for him barring something catastrophic.

Fjordson

Yeah, a market doesn't really limit guys off the court these days like it used to imo. Westbrook is a main guy for Jordan brand right now and he has his hands in a ton of fashion stuff already.

I don't think competing with CLE/GS factored at all in his decision.
Totally disagree there. Uprooting for competitive reasons makes a lot less sense right now than it does in a few years. I mean GM's have been saying that off the record to media guys for a while now, I'm sure the players are cognizant of it as well.

Bread

Banned
Man team USA up 29 lol. Is there anyone that can challenge them this year? Haven't kept up with international bball.
Probably the usual suspects, sprain and Argentina I guess. This team is so ridiculously athletic and skilled though, they should dominate.

Fjordson

Probably the usual suspects, sprain and Argentina I guess. This team is so ridiculously athletic and skilled though, they should dominate.
Argentina got smashed in their exhibition game though.

Wish Britain wasn't shit at basketball. Our best Olympian has been Luol Deng :lol

rambis

Banned
NBA salary-wise, he'd make the same. IN terms of endorsements, Durant and Harden both signed seven figure shoe deals playing in OKC and Houston respectively. Westbrook himself is the face of Jordan Brand despite playing in a mid-small market. The game is global enough now that you don't have to be in a big market to become a huge, bankable star. What Westbrook basically did was sacrifice one year of free agency in exchange for a pretty huge raise and some security and familiarity both financially both on and off the court, and it gives him an extra year to see how the landscape of the NBA looks before deciding where he wants to spend the rest of his career. Unless he completely falls off a cliff physically and becomes Derrick Rose over the next 2 seasons he will come out of this ahead and with a massive, guaranteed contract, either from the Thunder or someone else. It's pretty much a win-win for him barring something catastrophic.
Of course you can sign mega deals anywhere but thats not what Im talking about. Not talking about salary either.

Players like Lebron Wade in Miami or Kobe in LA take millions off the court in local endorsements. Why? Because theres alot of money being spent there and they are the faces of those cities. The same simply cannot be said of a city like OKC.

I think before the playoffs most people were thinking both KD and WB were departing on Westbrooks FA coming up next year for larger market competitiors. It doesnt make any sense that he would sign for guaranteed years if that was the case.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/07/04/thunder-russell-westbrook-contract-no-extension

If his goal is megamillions then risking another year with OKC makes absolutely no sense. He's a top 5 player in most peoples eyes. He can go anywhere he wants, and play the same game that Lebron does of opting out yearly and renegotiating mega contracts. He had far more options this year by being able to force a trade with his current salary. The fact that he extended now means effectively the if he were to leave OKC it can now only be to a team ready to sign a max. I don't think the 9million or so extra he gets this year is worth this if his goal is truly to jump ship.

Of course you can sign mega deals anywhere but thats not what Im talking about. Not talking about salary either.

Players like Lebron Wade in Miami or Kobe in LA take millions off the court in local endorsements. Why? Because theres alot of money being spent there and they are the faces of those cities. The same simply cannot be said of a city like OKC.

I think before the playoffs most people were thinking both KD and WB were departing on Westbrooks FA coming up next year for larger market competitiors. It doesnt make any sense that he would sign for guaranteed years if that was the case.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/07/04/thunder-russell-westbrook-contract-no-extension

If his goal is megamillions than risking another year with OKC makes absolutely no sense. He's a top 5 player in most peoples eyes. He can go anywhere he wants, and play the same game that Lebron does of opting out yearly and renegotiating mega contracts. He had far more options this year by being able to force a trade. The fact that he extended now means effectively the if he were to leave OKC it can now only be to a team ready to sign a max. I don't think the 9million or so extra he gets this year is worth this if his goal is truly to jump ship.

He can't go anywhere he wants. He was not going to be a free agent for a year. YOu seem to be ignoring that part of it in your analysis. It's a give and take. Russell essentially gave up one year of free agency, but in return he got a ton of money (which likely more than makes up for local endorsements, it's not like he was going to be making tens of millions of dollars shilling for regional car dealerships in Boston or LA) and some security with a team/coach he's familiar with. Ultimately who knows what his goal is. There's been all this noise about Russell wanting to play in NY or LA, but really none of that has ever come from him, everyone just assumes that. He's one of the more private guys around, and doesn't talk to the media much, so that could all just be assumptions from people who don't know. Maybe he wants to stay in OKC long term, or maybe he's not ready to decide that yet?

Jarate

Banned
Man team USA up 29 lol. Is there anyone that can challenge them this year? Haven't kept up with international bball.

France wouldve been a tough out, but they got crushed

Theyll have to actually play against Australia, Lithuania and Spain, also watch out for croatia, they are my dark horse team.

rambis

Banned
He can't go anywhere he wants. He was not going to be a free agent for a year. YOu seem to be ignoring that part of it in your analysis. It's a give and take. Russell essentially gave up one year of free agency, but in return he got a ton of money (which likely more than makes up for local endorsements, it's not like he was going to be making tens of millions of dollars shilling for regional car dealerships in Boston or LA) and some security with a team/coach he's familiar with. Ultimately who knows what his goal is. There's been all this noise about Russell wanting to play in NY or LA, but really none of that has ever come from him, everyone just assumes that. He's one of the more private guys around, and doesn't talk to the media much, so that could all just be assumptions from people who don't know. Maybe he wants to stay in OKC long term, or maybe he's not ready to decide that yet?
No, I said multiple times that his free agency is next year. But this year would have been the year for him to force a trade, if that was his goal.

I'm just saying that if his goal was contending now or getting to the team of his choice or making the big bucks, this extension makes no sense. He's essentially traded his path to alot of teams currently for 9m more with the Thunder this year. And he didnt have to necesarily bite now either on the extension, he could've played this out until the deadline.

No, I said multiple times that his free agency is next year. But this year would have been the year for him to force a trade, if that was his goal.

I'm just saying that if his goal was contending now or getting to the team of his choice or making the big bucks, this extension makes no sense. He's essentially traded his path to alot of teams currently for 9m more with the Thunder this year. And he didnt have to necesarily bite now either on the extension, he could've played this out until the deadline.

Maybe he just wanted to give management one less thing to worry about and build the team up. Give me a contender in two years or I'm leaving type thing.

legend166

I just realised the Australian team has as many guys with rings as the US team. Bogut, Mills, Baynes and Delly. Against Green, Thompson, Kyrie and Barnes.

CpQ_gBmWIAQ3VMc.jpg

Jaylen Brown switched his number.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Dario Saric is the real deal, been saying it for a minute. Going to be interesting to see where he fits on the Sixers roster though.

The only team on the planet that could compete with this U.S.A. national team (or any U.S.A. national team for that matter) is if we lived in an alternate universe where the country of Yugoslavia did not split.

Fjordson

Australia looking pretty good! Shame they couldn't have Exum and Ben Simmons playing also. Patty Mills and Delly combined for 49 points though and Bogut is playing well. Made me remember how much I'll miss him on Golden State.

Gülenist NBA player Kanter disowned by family for ties with FETÖ - Daily Sabah

Prominent NBA player Enes Kanter, who is known for his staunch support of the Gülen Movement and its leader Fethullah Gülen, has been disowned by his family.

Kanter's father Mehmet Kanter disowned his son for his ties with the Gülen Movement. Saying that Enes was hypnotized by the Gülenist Terror Organization [FETÖ], his father wrote: "I apologize to the Turkish people and the president for having such a son."

Following the release of the letter, Daily Sabah reached out to Mehmet Kanter, who told Daily Sabah that he has been quite disturbed by his son's behavior and insulting tweets directed at President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

Stressing that he has been educating students for almost 30 years, Kanter said: "His statements and behavior trouble our family. I told Enes that we would disown him should he not change his course. He did not care."

The elder Kanter said he has not been able to communicate with Enes since 2015. "I would not have taken Enes to the U.S. for the basketball camp where his talent was discovered had I known that it would come to this point," he said.

Top Bottom