• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'd disagree wholeheartedly. Picks are worth a lot due to contracts. With the spike in cap space, we'll see a lot of inflation for free agents, which means that picks gonna be worth more. \

The picks aren't worth anything when the draft pool sucks. Perhaps they'll be more valuable in future years but every team has cap space right now so the need for rookie contracts to round out rosters is pretty mitigated.

Jarate

Banned
I'm not that down on him, but he's no sure thing. His lateral quicks are lacking and he'll have trouble guarding quicker 4s/5s in the league. He's basically a taller Love with some shot-blocking. I'm not down on him either, but he'll have to find the right role/fit. Reminds me of a Markieff Morris in that he can be a stretch 5.

Yeah, his defense is gonna be bad, but he was an analytics darling in college, and I always view them as good picks in the drafts

also, speaking of big men who can't defend, the Bucks are looking to trade Greg Monroe. Would the Celtics be willing to trade #16 for him?

Jarate

Banned
The picks aren't worth anything when the draft pool sucks. Perhaps they'll be more valuable in future years but every team has cap space right now so the need for rookie contracts to round out rosters is pretty mitigated.

good teams will look at the long term situation of contracts and realize that after 2 years, no one will have money again. You'll still have all these good contracts with 2 years of flexibility.

You just got the 12th pick for Jeff Teague, who just had knee issues he publicly reported on, which included him going against his teams well wishes of revealing said information on his instagram, and also wanted to get out. That's a huge win for the Hawks, 4 year of garaunteed great contract, even if its a role player, is a really good thing to have.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

This.

Weak draft means 12 player in the draft isn't a guaranteed starter.

I'm fine for moving him. Got weak value in return though.

spyder_ur

Makes sense for Utah to trade for a veteran (you can see my post last page saying I thought they'd be active), although it seems like they preferred Hill to Teague which is a little strange to me.

I love Ellenson, dont know why he's having issues moving up big boards, if the sixers didnt have 600 bigs, i'd be begging for them to try and trade for him.

But I don't think Ellenson will last that long. He's a top 10 guy imo.

He's all mixed up in that big tier with Poeltl, Davis, Skal, Sabonis and now the international bigs.

The idea of Ellenson is really intriguing, a ball handling big who's kind of a Kevin Love light with better ball handling. Unfortunately he didn't shoot very well. Pelton's analytics don't really like him much (#23).

This.

It's never meant that, even in 'strong' drafts. Hawks should have flipped Teague at the deadline; this is bad value for him.

Jarate

Banned
This.

getting the 12th pick in this draft for Jeff Teague, a player whos about to get overpaid big time and leave in a year, who has tried to force the Hawks to basically tade, is a really good deal for the Hawks.

The goal of the draft is not to purely have starters. There's nothing wrong with drafting a backup player at 12. Getting a quality back up player for 4 years, who's going to have a really good contract for 4 years, for Jeff Teague, who was going to be a backup player btw, is a really good deal imo.

Gigglepoo

Teague for Hill? I strongly disagree with this move. One of the Pacers biggest advantages was having elite defenders at PG and SF. Not super happy about this one.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Teague for Hill? I strongly disagree with this move. One of the Pacers biggest advantages was having elite defenders at PG and SF. Not super happy about this one.

Both Hill and Teague are expiring deals. It might not have just been a preference of one or the other but one guy willing to work out an extension with them and the other guy not doing that.

Jarate

Banned
Makes sense for Utah to trade for a veteran (you can see my post last page saying I thought they'd be active), although it seems like they preferred Hill to Teague which is a little strange to me.

He's all mixed up in that big tier with Poeltl, Davis, Skal, Sabonis and now the international bigs.

The idea of Ellenson is really intriguing, a ball handling big who's kind of a Kevin Love light with better ball handling. Unfortunately he didn't shoot very well. Pelton's analytics don't really like him much (#23).

He shot like 75% from the free throw line, which is a much better indicator of how a player is going to shoot in the pros then pure shooting% stats. Shooting 75% gives you good knowledge that his shot isnt broken, and that he has the ability to shoot midrange and 3s in the pros.

That's why I have a big red flag for Ingram, who's very high up due to his shooting ability. He shot under 70% FTs in college which honestly scares me.

spyder_ur

Teague's not much worse of a defender than Hill, if at all; Teague was actually better in defensive win shares for what it's worth. He's also way more explosive which I feel the Pacers really needed.

Jarate

Banned
Yeah, Hill is also 31 on an expiring contract, which shows how much value Teague has.

Hawks got out really well in that trade

spyder_ur

He shot like 75% from the free throw line, which is a much better indicator of how a player is going to shoot in the pros then pure shooting% stats. Shooting 75% gives you good knowledge that his shot isnt broken, and that he has the ability to shoot midrange and 3s in the pros.

That's why I have a big red flag for Ingram, who's very high up due to his shooting ability. He shot under 70% FTs in college which honestly scares me.

Yup, I agree that he has the potential, just that he hasn't proven it yet.

And also agree about Ingram. I've said it before - he's not as good of a shooter as people think at this point. He's certainly got the ability, of course, and I think he should be the #2 pick in the draft, but I don't think he's dramatically better than the rest of the draft, which everyone seems to.

Gigglepoo

Teague's not much worse of a defender than Hill, if at all; Teague was actually better in defensive win shares for what it's worth. He's also way more explosive which I feel the Pacers really needed.

Is he? I guess he never leaped out me as a great defender. I guess we'll see how this works. Pacers usually make smart trades and draft well.

Uksvzpd.png

It's happening.gif

jbug617

Banned
Do the Knicks leap over the C's with this deal?

@ShamsCharania: Sources: The Bulls and Knicks are in advanced discussions on Derrick Rose-Robin Lopez deal that involves guard Justin Holiday to New York.

spyder_ur

Uksvzpd.png

It's happening.gif

It's too perfect. And I actually don't think it's a terrible move for the Knicks depending on the price.

Trades heating up - this is fun.

That's fine for the Knicks. Incredible end to the saga of Rose in Chicago - I'm surprised they were able to actually pull the trigger for what are essentially spare parts, given his connection to the city.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Good for the Bulls to finally move on. If thats the deal they got -way- more than I would have thought they could get for Rose.

For the Knicks... its a chance they'll take because whats the alternative?

jbug617

Banned
Good for the Bulls to finally move on. If thats the deal they got -way- more than I would have thought they could get for Rose.

For the Knicks... its a chance they'll take because whats the alternative?

had the same feeling. Outside of Cleveland, the East is one big mess. Take a chance with Rose, Melo and Porzingis.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
getting the 12th pick in this draft for Jeff Teague, a player whos about to get overpaid big time and leave in a year, who has tried to force the Hawks to basically tade, is a really good deal for the Hawks.

The goal of the draft is not to purely have starters. There's nothing wrong with drafting a backup player at 12. Getting a quality back up player for 4 years, who's going to have a really good contract for 4 years, for Jeff Teague, who was going to be a backup player btw, is a really good deal imo.

Someone has to be a starter. It's 5 on 5. Unless your insinuating Schroder is better than Teague.

Atlanta has never been a destination place for free agents either.

The Hawks were in the conference finals in 15. The 2nd round this year. This move feels like another step back to like a 6-8th seed.

spyder_ur

I'm still not really seeing that trade for Utah. Seems like and indictment of Exum and the other guards on their team, or maybe I'm reading too much into it

his trade would've been alright if they're werent giving away Rolo

The dream of the reality TV series featuring the Lopez brothers living together and roaming NYC is dead.

Gigglepoo

Should I know who Jerian Grant it?

Also, the two players involved in the Indy/Atl/Utah trade are better than anyone in this Bulls/Knicks deal.

This deal makes me sad.

I don't know what to make of this...there has to be another move Phil makes here.

Problem is, it could be a stupid one like fucking Dwight Howard.

...fuck

Jarate

Banned

Also, the two players involved in the Indy/Atl/Utah trade are better than anyone in this Bulls/Knicks deal.

Played for Notre Dame 2 years ago and was drafted in the 20's by the Knicks.

Also brother of Jerami Grrant, hyper athletic shit big who was one of the league leaders in blocks, and im also pretty sure in getting his shot blocked

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Phil Jackson really is just Isaiah Thomas 2.0. There is no long term plan here, hes going for broke right now because if it doesn't work out then he'll just go into the sunset. There was no way he was going to be up for a long term process. Hope it works out better for Knicks fans this time.

spyder_ur

Jerian Grant has some potential but most notably is the better Grant brother's (
Harvey
) son. Brother Jerami is on the Sixers.

spyder_ur

9aEZLqM.png

This seems unnecessary.

I was about to post that. Doesn't dumping Teague do that anyways?

Late first round picks are going to be for sale very cheap tomorrow. I actually think the Celtics second rounders are 31 and 35 are just as valuable as late first rounders.

Jerian didnt do shit in the league, while Jerami is a legit 3/4 in the league and would be a good back up.

He was only drafted last year.

Top Bottom