• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Gar/Pax make me so mad.
4785786-0729334663-hulk_.gif

I don't see why you are mad, unless you were one of the LaVine + Dunn for Butler types.

but Rose is a bum and should have been shipped out earlier.

xHiryu

fml we drafted valentine, another nigga who cant defend

i wanted luwawu or baldwin at least. wtf at thong maker going 10.

I don't see why you are mad, unless you were one of the LaVine + Dunn for Butler types.

but Rose is a bum and should have been shipped out earlier.

I'm mad they traded Rose and picked up another overseas player in the second round. I forgot to mention they got rid of Thibs who gave them a 255-139 record with five trips to the playoffs with a injured team most of the time. Gar and Pax are the Bulls downfall.

RedAssedApe

Banned
dunno if he's gonna be any good but i like this Zubac kid's enthusiasm towards the Laker franchise. hope it translates into him putting in the work.

Jonm1010

Banned
fml we drafted valentine, another nigga who cant defend

i wanted luwawu or baldwin at least. wtf at thong maker going 10.
Tom Izzo spoke very highly of his defense. Not sure what you are talking about?

Valentine is a really good pick aside form the knee concerns.

Jake.

i ask this every year: thoughts on the celtics picks? i live in australia so don't follow/have almost zero knowledge regarding college ball.

Tom Penny

i ask this every year: thoughts on the celtics picks? i live in australia so don't follow/have almost zero knowledge regarding college ball.
👎 really nobody knows. Took an athlete and not a ball player with the first pick and a two Euros to stash overseas. Most people wanted a trade that never happened.

Derwind

Now that things have settled in a bit, I really do feel optimistic about the draft picks. Long term these picks might be exactly what we need to fill out our bench nicely.

In Masai we trust.

Cornbread78

The consensus is that they didn't have a good draft considering where they picked and how many picks they had.

This ♤.

I'm getting angrier listening to the front office spew all this crap about the big free agents they are going to get... uugghh.

I'd say the Hawks did above average on the draft. Fulfilled needs, got more athletic. Took safe picks. Can't really go wrong with wings. Hopefully they can develop a jumper lol.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
As Marshall Plumlee's agent, this entire draft was a sham.

Look at my client out here stroking corner threes.

https://youtu.be/tN44rLX13Fs?t=140

The dream of Team T-Rex Arms is dead my friend. But there is still hope for that special edition G I Joe figure.

Duke Basketball posted up a nice little video on Brandon Ingram, which gives some insight into him growing up in Kinston NC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4aG13dR3IQ.

I think Ingram will be Duke's best pro since Grant Hill, hopefully without the ankle issues.

I always turn to Bill Simmons for my draft night hot takes on the Celtics. With the #3 pick:

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 13h
Could someone go to Beacon Hill and carry my dad's lifeless body out of his house?

After 16

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 12h
The Celtics just took the 7th pick in the draft at no. 3 and used no. 16 on a French guy sitting in the stands. I'm gonna make a drink.

Later

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 11h
My son just asked me to go online and buy him a Ben Simmons/76ers jersey. This entire draft has hurt my feelings.

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 11h
My son is upset that Ben Simmons/76ers jerseys aren't available for purchase for 2-4 weeks. I'm putting my son on eBay.

But by the end of the night, Simmons was talking himself into it... a little.

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 7h
Just caught up on French Draymond on YouTube. Um... I kinda like him...

The dream of Team T-Rex Arms is dead my friend. But there is still hope for that special edition G I Joe figure.

Duke Basketball posted up a nice little video on Brandon Ingram, which gives some insight into him growing up in Kinston NC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4aG13dR3IQ.

I think Ingram will be Duke's best pro since Grant Hill, hopefully without the ankle issues.

But he's a Laker now. :(

TRADE HIM, MITCH

Tom Penny

All these draft grades, lol.

Why does everyone love what the Celtics did outside of Boston?

SI Draft Grades

Fox Sports Draft Grades

[url="http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/draft/2016/06/23/nba-draft-live-tracker-ben-simmons-brandon-ingram/86303580/] USA Today Draft Grades[/url]
Addressing no needs is the newest trend going!!! Really I'm kind of stepping away from the ledge. I wouldn't have gutted the team for Butler and that Noel trade was iiaght. The problem is I already know free agency is going to eat a bag of dicks for the Celtics.

spyder_ur

All these draft grades, lol.

Why does everyone love what the Celtics did outside of Boston?

SI Draft Grades

Fox Sports Draft Grades

Addressing no needs is the newest trend going!!! Really I'm kind of stepping away from the ledge. I wouldn't have gutted the team for Butler and that Noel trade was iiaght. The problem is I already know free agency is going to eat a bag of dicks for the Celtics.

I don't agree that they addressed no needs - they spent almost all their picks on frontcourt players, hopefully finishers, and they got longer and more athletic for sure. What they didn't get was shooting - this is a bummer.

Cornbread78

I've calmed down a little bit from my highly agitated feeling last night, but I was butt-hurt like the rest of Celtics nation. I'm glad Danny didn't go all-in on that stupid Butler offer that Chi. put out there. Although, I might have taken the Noel Deal. Maybe they can still work out a Noel/Smart deal that would make sense for both teams.... I'd take the Defense of Noel here over Okafor's offense.... They could still make a trade with the Bucks for Monroe and pair him up with Noel to give them a pretty balanced front court with Oly in there and if the Frenchman somehow made the roster, he is a good stretch player like Oly., however, I'm expecting him to stay over seas for another few years...

Now if they went the Free agent route, I would be comfortable with them picking up Horford, as long as they can also pick up Beal of Parsons. I would rather take the pure shooting of Beal here and Parson's is probably going to resign in Dallas anyhow...

With those moves, it would give Boston a clear #2 roster in the East, but still not enough to take out Lebron and Co.

FA Route:
PG: Thomas/Smart
SG: Beal/Bradley
SF: Brown/Crowder/Turner
PF: Horford/Johnson/Sully
C: Olynak/Johnson/Sully

Via Trades:
PG: Thomas/Rozier
SG: Bradley/Hunter
SF: Brown/Turner
PF:Monroe /Johnson/Oly
C: Noel/Olynak/Johnson

FTW Route:
PG: Thomas/Jackson/Rozier
SG: Beal/Bradley/Hunter
SF: Brown/Turner
PF:Horford /Johnson/Oly
C: Noel/Olynak/Johnson

Cornbread78

Because Boston fans are getting impatient even after only missing the playoffs for one year. We've been hearing about these picks for years, so expectations come with that. And because fans like to think they are better talent evaluators and roster managers than GMs. I fall into that myself. I think it has very little to do with the actual players selected and moreso to do with the disappointment that this was another day where the Celtics were projected to possibly take a major step towards contention and didn't. Also, amongst the top 7 or 8 prospect Brown was easily the most polarizing. Some guys, including stats guys, hate him. Some talent evaluators saw him as the #2 talent in the draft.

I'm happy they didn't blow up things for Butler and Noel if the deals weren't there. Forcing trades because of desperation is how you become the Knicks, Nets or Kings. I'm just disappointed they didn't get any shooting. What they have done is built a young, ridiculously long and athletic roster.

God damn their summer league team is gonna be fun too - Brown, Rozier, Hunter, Mickey, Demetrious Jackson, Bentil, maybe Zizic.

I don't agree that they addressed no needs - they spent almost all their picks on frontcourt players, hopefully finishers, and they got longer and more athletic for sure. What they didn't get was shooting - this is a bummer.

We're pretty much on the same page here and the bolded are the most important parts. However, I think they can still get a Noel deal done for Smart or other future picks, which is much better then getting to MORE late 1st rounders like was offered.

I'm just hoping they can entice Beal and Horford to jump into the Boston, which would give them a highly competitive roster. They will still lack star power, but they will be good contenders and could really give CLE fits in the play-offs with their athletic approach.

Given that neither Philly nor the Bulls made a deal for the 5th pick I have to assume the offers we thought the Celtics got weren't real. Beyond that I think our draft was ok, Brown seems like a reach but if he's who they thought was the best option then what the fuck do I know?

Tom Penny

Given that neither Philly nor the Bulls made a deal for the 5th pick I have to assume the offers we thought the Celtics got weren't real. Beyond that I think our draft was ok, Brown seems like a reach but if he's who they thought was the best option then what the fuck do I know?

At least we drafted this guard

giphy.gif

qcf x2

I like the Pacers' 2nd round pick, besides him being 23 already. He's a point forward. Can't jump but I don't need my backup point to jump.

Cleveland really lucked out with Kay Felder falling into their laps. He is going to be so much better than Dellavedova it isn't even funny. He's smart and can do everything well on offense except dunk.

Speaking of tiny point guards, Phoenix gets an A+ from me. Dragan, Chriss and the best pure point prospect in Tyler Ulis. They have to trade a few of their starters to make room for those guys, but it's Phoenix so they might actually try to play with 3 point guards and two stretch bigs at the same time.

As for Boston, lol. I almost feel bad for Celts fans.

YaBish

Fairly pleased with the Grizzlies picks. Even if picking Baldwin makes me a little apprehensive about our chances at resigning Conley, we got a pretty decent perimeter shooter. On top of that, I think Deyonta Davis is a steal at 31. We got some youth in this draft, something we desperately needed, even if it was kinda risky.

ACE 1991

I'm excited to see Simmons play but next season is going to be really frustrating with all the bigs and no starting caliber PG. Ugh.

spyder_ur

Georgios PapaJohn's dad is apparently Twitters biggest hater of The Dragan.

Clql9jhWgAQxupG.jpg

This is great, I'm down for some good old fashioned Euro rivalries. and I like everything about PapaJohn, including that nickname and the fact he is going to the Kings.

Simmons is your PG.

I'm not against Simmons as PG, in fact I think it's really interesting because it maximizes his skills and minimizes his weakness of shooting. You can't walk into the season with just that, especially as you are trying to develop the slew of big men on the roster. Colangelo will go get a steady hand at PG this summer.

Top Bottom