• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Bread

Banned
Good time for the Bulls to be bad. Get some higher picks on a couple drafts with real players.
Why would they keep Butler if they were planning on being bad though? I expect them to go out and sign some middling players to stay on the treadmill.

Brinbe

After coming to grips with reality and disappointment, taking Poetl/Siakam isn't the end of the world. They'll probably both be solid, league-average hustle bigs, who can score efficiently on the inside and offer good rebound/defending on the other end.. Not the end of the world.

megalowho

All these draft grades, lol.

Why does everyone love what the Celtics did outside of Boston?

SI Draft Grades

Fox Sports Draft Grades

[url="http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/draft/2016/06/23/nba-draft-live-tracker-ben-simmons-brandon-ingram/86303580/] USA Today Draft Grades[/url]
Boston fans bought into the PR from Danny and Wyc like they do every summer. They're anxious and are waiting for another quick fix to contention like 2008, but thankfully the front office is focused enough to realize that adding talent, consistency and remaining flexible is key to their long term plan instead of lopsided moves for the sake of making moves. We don't know what was offered for #3 or what deals were close, but I'm inclined to believe at least half the Twitter rumors were posturing. Chicago isn't giving up Butler for anything other than a Godfather deal, not right now at least.

And Jaylen Brown is a hell of a prospect in my opinion. I'll gladly eat crow if he doesn't pan out a few years from now, but I loved the pick and he fits in with what Stevens and Ainge are building.

Outside of that the Celtics got crafty and ignored mock draft rankings, which isn't sexy but the moves make sense. Some reaches, some consensus BPA's. They avoided guaranteed rookie salary on the cap with draft and stash players in the first round (I like Zizic a lot too, could play this year) and took borderline first round talent late in the draft. Turned two second round picks in a middling draft into a likely 15-25 pick down the road.

Interesting draft overall, yet not surprised opinions are all over the board since expectations were high. Morning after draft grades don't mean much to me either way, total crapshoot.

Fjordson

I am jealous of the Yabusele pick for Boston. Wanted him on the Dubs. Or at least a Deyonta Davis. Lame we took another center from Vanderbilt. And this one is injured lol.

I hope Kevon Looney gives us consistent production off the bench next year. I don't know anything about this year's draft class, but I'm guessing the Warriors are going to just let Festus and Barnes go.

J2 Cool

Why would they keep Butler if they were planning on being bad though? I expect them to go out and sign some middling players to stay on the treadmill.

Indecision. I want the Bulls to tank, but Butler's my favorite player from a lot of standpoints post 2000. Better head on his shoulders than Rose ever did. Will be a very weird run.

In the West Bulls are successful tankers, in the East we might be fringe playoffs..

Gigglepoo

It's so weird when sites hand out draft grades but ignore what the Pacers did. "Here's our opinion on an international prospect we watched for two minutes but we won't bother to talk about how Thad Young will impact the Pacers."

Good job!

Sanjuro

I don't see the point in trading for someone who isn't a clear number one if you are going to get fleeced.

Realistically, Ainge did as well as he could have in the draft. We were expecting a trade. Didn't happen. Then you go Dunn, who already was passed and useless for this franchise as a player.

The only real leverage Dunn could have had was getting a notable player straight up or with little loss to the roster. Not sure that was happening.

Bread

Banned
I don't see the point in trading for someone who isn't a clear number one if you are going to get fleeced.

Realistically, Ainge did as well as he could have in the draft. We were expecting a trade. Didn't happen. Then you go Dunn, who already was passed and useless for this franchise as a player.

The only real leverage Dunn could have had was getting a notable player straight up or with little loss to the roster. Not sure that was happening.
Exactly. Going with a guy they wanted was the only option they had. I think Brown can be a great player if his work ethic is as good as advertised.

Sanjuro

Exactly. Going with a guy they wanted was the only option they had. I think Brown can be a great player if his work ethic is as good as advertised.

Fucking nerd better outsmart the competition.

We are going to see some Matthew Slater shit on the court.

Yeah, if he's really the guy they wanted then I'm ok with the pick. I'm just happy that he isn't a guard.

Cornbread78

Yeah, if he's really the guy they wanted then I'm ok with the pick. I'm just happy that he isn't a guard.

Danny just did an interview on WEEI and stated straight out that they didn't want to get stuck with Dunn if they couldn't work out a trade with the other teams, so they just took who they wanted. He also said he understands the faults Brown has in his game (shoot/ball control) but plans on making sure he really grows as a player through the year.

Still active in FA/Trade market, yadda yadda yadda....

I still content on Trading for Noel with Smart, Signing Horford and trying to pull Beal away from resigning with Wash. Parson's is another one that they can try to pull away from DAL and would fill that shooting need...

We'll see. It's all just band-aids until they can get a premier player or two.

Danny just did an interview on WEEI and stated straight out that they didn't want to get stuck with Dunn if they couldn't work out a trade with the other teams, so they just took who they wanted. He also said he understands the faults Brown has in his game (shoot/ball control) but plans on making sure he really grows as a player through the year.

Still active in FA/Trade market, yadda yadda yadda....

I still content on Trading for Noel with Smart, Signing Horford and trying to pull Beal away from resigning with Wash. Parson's is another one that they can try to pull away from DAL and would fill that shooting need...

I don't think Philly would do a Noel for Smart swap. As for Beal, as much as we need outside shooting I'd be worried about maxing him out. I also want no part of whatever gigantic contract Parsons is going to get.

Bread

Banned
Beal and Parsons would be terrible acquisitions. Beal because he will want a max despite disappointing every season and Parsons because we have 2 young/cost controlled forwards that need playing time. Danny should go nuts and get Horford and Whiteside.

Cornbread78

I don't think Philly would do a Noel for Smart swap. As for Beal, as much as we need outside shooting I'd be worried about maxing him out. I also want no part of whatever gigantic contract Parsons is going to get.

Not sure, but a Noel/Smart trade works for both parties... We can give them Mickey as well, lol.

Unfortunately, Boston is going to have to over pay for any free agents we get. If we can actually get a sharpshooter like Beal, it would help the offense a lot, especially by spreading the floor and spotting up for Thomas.

I'm not that high on Horford and/or Parsons, but you have to admit those couple changes would make a big difference. A starting 5 of:

5 of
PG: Thomas
SG: Beal
SF: Brown/Turner
PF:Horford
C: Noel

Still probably won't beat CLE, but would be a very fun and balanced team.

Beal and Parsons would be terrible acquisitions. Beal because he will want a max despite disappointing every season and Parsons because we have 2 young/cost controlled forwards that need playing time. Danny should go nuts and get Horford and Whiteside.

We need an outside shooter somewhere. Would you rather he throw a bunch of money at J.R Smith to come off the bench after Bradley?

I want zero part of that deal for Philly.

It actually works for both teams. We'll throw in a couple 2nd round picks or something, lol.

megalowho

I'm into two of those ideas, even though I think Smart will be a better overall player than Noel over time, but no interest in Bradley Beal. Beal is hunting for a max deal despite injury woes, Bradley provides a similar role with better defense on a much more favorable contract. Beal doesn't move the needle that much for the rotation and flexibility issues he introduces.

Servbot24

Banned
As an Iowan it's cool to have Niang go to the Pacers even if I doubt he'll do much.

Along those lines, I'm bummed Uthoff didn't get picked up. I figured someone would be able to do some things with him. When he's aggressive he can do damage - actually scored 30 points against Niang in a single half last season.

Cornbread78

Even with Jordan Mickey Philly probably hangs up on Ainge. If that deal was available Ainge would've done it and picked up Kris Dunn.

He doesn't like Dunn's game though..... Philly needs to unload one of those guys for a PG. Boston probably has the best matched pairing available, unless they want an older back-up PG off someone's roster and over value they and really get shafted..

Bread

Banned
I'm into two of those ideas, even though I think Smart will be a better overall player than Noel over time, but no interest in Bradley Beal. Beal is hunting for a max deal despite injury woes, Bradley provides a similar role with better defense on a much more favorable contract. Beal doesn't move the needle that much for the rotation and flexibility issues he introduces.
I don't think there's really shooter out there in FA that we should overpay for. I'd sign Horford/Whiteside (both if that was somehow possible) and trade Smart for a PG or SG that can shoot 3s.

He doesn't like Dunn's game though..... Philly needs to unload one of those guys for a PG. Boston probably has the best matched pairing available, unless they want an older back-up PG off someone's roster and over value they and really get shafted..

I like Smart but I don't think a point guard that can't shoot is the best partner for Simmons.

spyder_ur

I like Smart but I don't think a point guard that can't shoot is the best partner for Simmons.

The problem isn't that he'd be a point guard who couldn't shoot, the problem is that he wouldn't have the ball and couldn't shoot since Simmons seems ball dominant.

The ball has gravity, as they like to say.

Bread

Banned
The problem isn't that he'd be a point guard who couldn't shoot, the problem is that he wouldn't have the ball and couldn't shoot since Simmons seems ball dominant.

The ball has gravity, as they like to say.
I'm pretty sure I read that Smart's shooting strength is in pull up jumpers, not spot up shots. He would be a mess on the Sixers.

Derwind

After coming to grips with reality and disappointment, taking Poetl/Siakam isn't the end of the world. They'll probably both be solid, league-average hustle bigs, who can score efficiently on the inside and offer good rebound/defending on the other end.. Not the end of the world.

In another 1 to 2 years, we'll have a beastly squad consisting of wright/powell/caboclo/siakam/poeltl....

Time to dust off my 905ers jersey, it'll be seeing some more use now.

megalowho

I don't think there's really shooter out there in FA that we should overpay for. I'd sign Horford/Whiteside (both if that was somehow possible) and trade Smart for a PG or SG that can shoot 3s.
Biyombo's on my list too. Really liked what he showed when Valanciunas was out, even if he's a little undersized for C.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MySportsLegion/status/746396241479753728
If this is legit and the Wizards offer Noah a 4 year 120 million dollar contract (or any of the other teams, Bucks, Knicks, etc) they are going to hold the biggest L in terms of free agency for quite some time.
Please do it before the Knicks do something catastrophically dumb, I can already feel it in my chest.

Wizards lead four-team race for Joakim Noah in NBA free agency, sources say

That would quite possibly be the worst contract of all time.

Brinbe

379ch.gif

the stupidity is real... NBA GMs can't help themselves.

spyder_ur

I'm pretty sure I read that Smart's shooting strength is in pull up jumpers, not spot up shots. He would be a mess on the Sixers.

That's exactly my point.

I love Smart, but I agree that if they could have got Noel for him they would have done it. Only plus might be that these Philly bigs lose value by the day as they get closer to paydays and don't play with any veteran guards who can showcase them (perhaps Simmons can), so maybe it can happen one day.

haha Noah for 120 million, get the fuck outta here
Adams better get 240 million when he becomes a free agent then

I'd rather max Barnes , lol at max Noah

Fjordson

Max Barnes lives.
Hell yeah he does lmao.

I am kinda worried about replacing him tbh. For all his suckage, his ability to play as the backup 4 on D and rebound was valuable. Obviously someone like Durant would more than make up for that, but still not sure Dubs will be able to snag someone like that.

Top Bottom