• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

KD, you want to cement your legacy as an all time great? Do you want to be considered the holy savior of the nba and one up LeBron and Steph? Bring a title to the ATL. Every stripper we have will be at your beck and call.

Marz

I doubt KD even considers GSW if they had won the finals this year. Not that anyone there is happy they lost, but hey, could be a silver lining.

But damn... Steph and KD on the same team would be insane. Not to mention Klay and Dray.

Yea would definitely be impressive.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't follow Boston super close, do they give KD a better shot at winning the title than OKC? Pretty sure his #1 motivation is to get a title, and I'm not sure if leaving Westbrook to team up with Thomas is really gonna help much.

mjp2417

Banned
I don't follow Boston super close, do they give KD a better shot at winning the title than OKC? Pretty sure his #1 motivation is to get a title, and I'm not sure if leaving Westbrook to team up with Thomas is really gonna help much.

Not immediately, no. They'll be No. 2 in the East, but the Cavs would still be clear favorites against them. Ainge and co. would have to sell him on the future, not the immediate present, which seems like a tough sell for someone who has been in the league as long as KD has without a ring.

Chase17

With players like Sullinger, Olynek, and Jerebko getting significant minutes I don't see how we could lose. Plus I see a lot of Westbrook in Marcus Smart (although it may be all of his worst aspects).

In all seriousness, with KD we probably have a free pass to the ECF but would have little chance against Lebron. I guess the idea would be to get a big piece with the remaining Brooklyn picks.

rambis

Banned
KD, you want to cement your legacy as an all time great? Do you want to be considered the holy savior of the nba and one up LeBron and Steph? Bring a title to the ATL. Every stripper we have will be at your beck and call.
I'm so surprised Atl doesn't get more consideration from big names. Sure the sports market is shit but, the A is black Hollywood. Probably more black celebrities and IG that models per capital than any other city in the US. And them skrippers.

I'm so surprised Atl doesn't get more consideration from big names. Sure the sports market is shit but, the A is black Hollywood. Probably more black celebrities and IG that models per capital than any other city in the US. And them skrippers.

Old ownership completely ruined the Hawks image. Cheap, didn't take care of the players, and terrible GMs. Just bad everything and it has soured any consideration for anyone to come. New ownership is making great strides but it'll take awhile before we become that free agent attraction. The foundation is definitely in place. All it takes now is one superstar.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
If Durant goes to GS I never want to hear anyone call Lebron a loser or bitch for going to miami. Lebron didn't get embarrassed by the Heat, Wade or Bosh before joining them. This is coming from a Lebron hater for the pain he's cost my bulls lol

Brinbe

If KD is that serious about winning a ring by any means, he should go there. Not all that often you can just seamlessly join a team with three other all-star level players.

Barnes finally trying to play for Coach K.

It's story time.

The one time I really got hyped up for recruiting, this dude, this heavy Duke lean, ended up picking Carolina. Kyrie had already committed to Duke, Barnes was supposed to be the next piece, and he decides to play for Ol' Roy. Carolina was fresh off a national championship and 2 in the prior 5 years, Duke was mired in a mediocre (by Duke standards) stretch, losing recruiting battles left and right, and then this.

But the cool thing that happened is that pretty much nothing has gone right for Carolina since. Duke won the title the year of the recruiting battle (before Barnes would have stepped on campus). Kyrie Irving became the #1 pick after 2011 despite only playing in 11 games (Barnes underwhelmed). Duke is now the team getting almost any recruit it wants, and added another title with Okafor, Winslow, and Stones.

Thanks, Harry. It all worked out.

Cornbread78

Isiah has been putting in that work on Durant's ear I see, lol. If they could land Durant and a spot shooter he could kick out to? Oh man, Look out East..

Crowder plays 3/4 depending on the lineup.

Pretty hood defensive defensive team:

Smart
Bradley
Durant/Brown
Crowder
Johnson (man, is there a Big Ben out there?)

I think they're talking about Boston's clam Chowder.

Lol, that too.

Tom Penny

Isiah has been putting in that work on Durant's ear I see, lol. If they could land Durant and a spot shooter he could kick out to? Oh man, Look out East..

Crowder plays 3/4 depending on the lineup.

Pretty hood defensive defensive team:

Smart
Bradley
Durant/Brown
Crowder
Johnson (man, is there a Big Ben out there?)

Lol, that too.

If they sign Durant they would have to waive Amir and Tyler Zeller. Not worth it.

BadAss2961

If Durant goes to GS I never want to hear anyone call Lebron a loser or bitch for going to miami. Lebron didn't get embarrassed by the Heat, Wade or Bosh before joining them. This is coming from a Lebron hater for the pain he's cost my bulls lol
LeBron is totally the catalyst for a move like that happening though.

It's a "big 3" league now.

I think it's just a change in culture. Guys come up in the AAU ranks, playing and becoming friends with other talented young players. Then they go for one year in college, often teaming up with other 4-5 star recruits at places like Kentucky or Duke or UNC. Teaming up with other great players isn't seen as a bad thing. It doesn't make them a "bitch". It's just the way things are.

BadAss2961

I think it's just a change in culture. Guys come up in the AAU ranks, playing and becoming friends with other talented young players. Then they go for one year in college, often teaming up with other 4-5 star recruits at places like Kentucky or Duke or UNC. Teaming up with other great players isn't seen as a bad thing. It doesn't make them a "bitch". It's just the way things are.
Problem is it makes the league as predictable and top heavy as ever. Every star has to join forces with other stars and stack the deck as much as possible to compete.
Celtics did that first.

They did, but the players didn't conspire to do it. It just happened (along with a gift from McHale.)

Chase17

Durant going to GSW would be awful. The finals would already be set before the season starts and it would be the same matchup for the third year in a row.

Edit: awful probably hyperbole

Problem is it makes the league as predictable and top heavy as ever. Every star has to join forces with other stars and stack the deck as much as possible to compete.

They did, but the players didn't conspire to do it. It just happened (along with a gift from McHale.)

The league has always been that way, it's just that due to differences in the free agency and the trade market, teams could form their own super teams. 20 years later the Celtics probably would have had to trade McHale, or he would have left to his own team, same with the Lakers and Worthy. The deck has always been stacked though. You think the 80s were less predictable? When the Lakers made the Finals every year and the Celtics and Pistons were the only viable teams out of the East? The league has ALWAYS been star driven, which leads to dynasties and seasons where really only 2-4 teams are viable championship contenders. This isn't changing anything. The whole "super team" thing is something that lots of people hate, because it "feels" wrong, but nobody can come up with a real argument for why it's bad for the league. It's not bad, it's just different.

Servbot24

Banned
Durant going to GSW would be awful. The finals would already be set before the season starts and it would be the same matchup for the third year in a row.

Edit: awful probably hyperbole

To be fair that's kind of what this year was. GSW were untouchable and assumed to be the champs for 90% of the year.

Marz

I'm fine with stars teaming up with each other, it just feels shitty when the team is already one of the best of all time.

But it's not? They won one championship beating a Cavs team that was playing Delly and Mozgov major minutes and then got beat down by Lebron the next year.

BadAss2961

The league has always been that way, it's just that due to differences in the free agency and the trade market, teams could form their own super teams. 20 years later the Celtics probably would have had to trade McHale, or he would have left to his own team, same with the Lakers and Worthy. The deck has always been stacked though. You think the 80s were less predictable? When the Lakers made the Finals every year and the Celtics and Pistons were the only viable teams out of the East? The league has ALWAYS been star driven, which leads to dynasties and seasons where really only 2-4 teams are viable championship contenders. This isn't changing anything. The whole "super team" thing is something that lots of people hate, because it "feels" wrong, but nobody can come up with a real argument for why it's bad for the league. It's not bad, it's just different.
It doesn't just feel wrong, it is wrong. We're well on our way to championships not being won through the draft and acquiring the right pieces, but purely through brute forcing free agency. Yeah, the league's always been star driven with dominant teams, but it was more competitive back then that is now. We had more rivalries, rivalries within conferences. Now, either you have multiple superstars or you're better off tanking, there is no in between.

It doesn't just feel wrong, it is wrong. We're well on our way to championships not being won through the draft and acquiring the right pieces, but purely through brute forcing free agency. Yeah, the league's always been star driven with dominant teams, but it was more competitive back then that is now. We had more rivalries, rivalries within conferences. Now, either you have multiple superstars or you're better off tanking, there is no in between.

Again, why is that wrong rather than just different? It's a lot harder to build through the draft nowadays without outright tanking (another thing people complain about, so which is it?). The Celtics and Lakers of the 80s built their teams through the draft by taking advantage of stupid owners who gave up draft picks like candy. The league actually had to step in and create a rule to prevent these owners from themselves. For crying out loud, the Lakers WON THE FUCKING title and then proceeded to get the number 1 pick in the following draft. Imagine how high the cries of "rigged!" and "the league is fucked!" we'd be hearing if the Warriors or Cavs were able to draft Ben Simmons?

The stuff about rivalries is also pretty overblown. Yeah Lakers/Celtics was the dominating rivalry of the 80s, but the West back then was almost as bad as the east now, and the East in the 80s was pretty much Celtics/Sixers and, towards the end of the decade, Pistons, much like you have Warriors/OKC/Spurs now.

It's a response to the way the league has changed, with regards to free agency (which is earned, not FORCED), and the culture of the players, who are feeling more empowered thanks to guys like LeBron. They don't have to wait for their owner or their GM to build a team around them, often sitting idly by as their prime years are wasted, they have the power to do it themselves. Why is that wrong? It's just like in baseball and football, when people are like "I miss the days when guys would play their entire careers with one team!" when, in reality, most of the time that was not by choice.

mjp2417

Banned
But it's not? They won one championship beating a Cavs team that was playing Delly and Mozgov major minutes and then got beat down by Lebron the next year.

73-9 and two plays away from back-to-back championships (that was far from a beat down) means your team is pretty stacked, possibly historically so. Also, Steph, Klay, and Dray are only now hitting their prime. There really isn't precedent for a team that loaded and that successful getting one of the 2 or 3 best players in the league.

KD joining GSW will be the ultimate bitch move in all of NBA. The fuck he joining a 73 win game team for? He's not even friends with any of those guys. Dubs don't need his sorry ass. If he didn't shoot 2 for 19 in one half of a close out game he could have a ring by now.

Marz

73-9 and two plays away from back-to-back championships (that was far from a beat down) means your team is pretty stacked, possibly historically so. Also, Steph, Klay, and Dray are only now hitting their prime. There really isn't precedent for a team that loaded and that successful getting one of the 2 or 3 best players in the league.

Don't mean a thing if their ain't no ring.

Top Bottom