• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Cornbread78

If they sign Durant they would have to waive Amir and Tyler Zeller. Not worth it.

Lol. This better be sarcasm, lol

Celtics can also offer a 2nd max to another player. I think they are the only team in the 6 that can do that.

Might be, but who is that second player?

Only Beal and Parson have what they need unless, they ho cheaper with J.R

Horford wouldn't be a bad pairing, but defense yo...

Somehow trade for Noel and I'll sign off on it, so they have an athletic interior defender.

Lol. This better be sarcasm, lol

Might be, but who is that second player?

Only Beal and Parson have what they need unless, they ho cheaper with J.R

Horford wouldn't be a bad pairing, but defense yo...

Somehow trade for Noel and I'll sign off on it, so they have an athletic intrior defender.

DeRozan. Then trade Bradley and Sullinger for Tyson Chandler.

Chase17

Again, why is that wrong rather than just different? It's a lot harder to build through the draft nowadays without outright tanking (another thing people complain about, so which is it?). The Celtics and Lakers of the 80s built their teams through the draft by taking advantage of stupid owners who gave up draft picks like candy. The league actually had to step in and create a rule to prevent these owners from themselves. For crying out loud, the Lakers WON THE FUCKING title and then proceeded to get the number 1 pick in the following draft. Imagine how high the cries of "rigged!" and "the league is fucked!" we'd be hearing if the Warriors or Cavs were able to draft Ben Simmons?

The stuff about rivalries is also pretty overblown. Yeah Lakers/Celtics was the dominating rivalry of the 80s, but the West back then was almost as bad as the east now, and the East in the 80s was pretty much Celtics/Sixers and, towards the end of the decade, Pistons, much like you have Warriors/OKC/Spurs now.

It's a response to the way the league has changed, with regards to free agency (which is earned, not FORCED), and the culture of the players, who are feeling more empowered thanks to guys like LeBron. They don't have to wait for their owner or their GM to build a team around them, often sitting idly by as their prime years are wasted, they have the power to do it themselves. Why is that wrong? It's just like in baseball and football, when people are like "I miss the days when guys would play their entire careers with one team!" when, in reality, most of the time that was not by choice.

I'm disappointed by the lack of NBA is rigged for CLE talk. We started to get there with the green suspension but it's stopped.

3 out of 4 overall 1st picks to lure Lebron back despite Gilbert.

Someone pulling Kerr's strings and causing him to inexplicably play Varejao and Ezeli.

It all adds up.

Bread

Banned
Why bother with Durant when you can get a younger guy at the same position who has been to the finals the past 2 years?

BadAss2961

Again, why is that wrong rather than just different? It's a lot harder to build through the draft nowadays without outright tanking (another thing people complain about, so which is it?). The Celtics and Lakers of the 80s built their teams through the draft by taking advantage of stupid owners who gave up draft picks like candy. The league actually had to step in and create a rule to prevent these owners from themselves. For crying out loud, the Lakers WON THE FUCKING title and then proceeded to get the number 1 pick in the following draft. Imagine how high the cries of "rigged!" and "the league is fucked!" we'd be hearing if the Warriors or Cavs were able to draft Ben Simmons?

The stuff about rivalries is also pretty overblown. Yeah Lakers/Celtics was the dominating rivalry of the 80s, but the West back then was almost as bad as the east now, and the East in the 80s was pretty much Celtics/Sixers and, towards the end of the decade, Pistons, much like you have Warriors/OKC/Spurs now.

It's a response to the way the league has changed, with regards to free agency (which is earned, not FORCED), and the culture of the players, who are feeling more empowered thanks to guys like LeBron. They don't have to wait for their owner or their GM to build a team around them, often sitting idly by as their prime years are wasted, they have the power to do it themselves. Why is that wrong? It's just like in baseball and football, when people are like "I miss the days when guys would play their entire careers with one team!" when, in reality, most of the time that was not by choice.
As it stands, the Warriors won't need Ben Simmons, they'll just acquire an established top 5 player instead who's not even a need for them. Just like how LeBron and Wade was a little redundant. But hey, gotta stack the deck... It's one thing for players to take charge by actively recruiting in free agency, but it's another to join forces with your fellow stars. It's not about beating your rivals anymore, it's about chasing rings by any means. Playing anywhere, with anyone to make that happen. That's the precedent set by LeBron.

I can't remember which player it was, who said that guys didn't even think like that back then. Join so and so? what? I want my squad to beat his. That's the edge that's missing in today's league.

As it stands, the Warriors won't need Ben Simmons, they'll just acquire an established top 5 player instead who's not even a need for them. Just like how LeBron and Wade was a little redundant. But hey, gotta stack the deck... It's one thing for players to take charge by actively recruiting in free agency, but it's another to join forces with your fellow stars. It's not about beating your rivals anymore, it's about chasing rings by any means. Playing anywhere, with anyone to make that happen. That's the precedent set by LeBron.

I can't remember which player it was, who said that guys didn't even think like that back then. Join so and so? what? I want my squad to beat his. That's the edge that's missing in today's league.

It never was. TV marketing had you fooled.

They didn't have to. Their teams were already stacked. If Michael Jordan or Larry Bird, in their prime, looked at their teams and the next best players were Mo Williams and Anderson Varajao, you don't think that might have changed the way they thought about things? All you are really seeing here is a side effect of the pendulum swinging in the power struggle between the owners and the players. The owners used to have all the power, they'd hold a player until they used them all up, and then trade or release them. The players have more power now and are using that to dictate how their careers should play out.

This is exactly who I want on my team. Make sure they actually sell Whiteside on BASKETBALL, and not star power or trying to sell a brand name. Frankfully, I am a Lakers fan because of what they bring to the game itself, not due to flash.

That's like the exact opposite of what the Lakers should be doing if they want to get Whiteside.

That's like the exact opposite of what the Lakers should be doing if they want to get Whiteside.

I don't know....I think playing for Luke is a good selling point though. We'll see; I don't know how they convey knowledge behind closed doors. Maybe I'm just too optimistic because I put all of the Free Agency woes on Bryon Scott being our coach.

I don't know....I think playing for Luke is a good selling point though. We'll see; I don't know how they convey knowledge behind closed doors. Maybe I'm just too optimistic because I put all of the Free Agency woes on Bryon Scott being our coach.

I think you have to sell Whiteside on a max contract and the bright lights / marketing opportunities in LA. There are much better teams for him if he really cares about winning basketball.

Lakers going hard after Whiteside

I'm not a fan of his but he certainly fits a need. Horford is my dream get but he's not going to a rebuilding team. I was hopeful maybe we could snag someone like Noah on a cheap deal but it looks like there aren't going to be any cheap deals this summer. Hopefully they kick the tires on Bazemore too, oh and get rid of Nick Young already.

Give Noah the max.

Rowdy-Roddy-Piper.gif

This is why I hated the Zubaz pick in the 2nd instead of going after a more defensive minded, athletic type big. Big guys that can protect the paint, guard PNRs are valuable as fuck. You don't even have to be able to score. I would have tried to do anything to avoid having to give a C a max this offseason. I don't trust that market one bit.

Tubobutts

I'm not a fan of his but he certainly fits a need. Horford is my dream get but he's not going to a rebuilding team. I was hopeful maybe we could snag someone like Noah on a cheap deal but it looks like there aren't going to be any cheap deals this summer. Hopefully they kick the tires on Bazemore too, oh and get rid of Nick Young already.
But according to NBA 2K16 Nick Young is the best perimeter defender on the Lakers.

Jonm1010

Banned
Durant to the Spurs is the most intriguing to me.

Mostly because I think it then becomes an easy sell to Conley if they can move a few pieces around to gain cap space.

Conley, Green, Durant, Kawhi and Aldridge would be sick. It would give up none of the issues the GS small ball lineup would and would have post scoring and be sustainable for most of the game.

phanphare

Banned
aldridge's midrange game would benefit and the 3's that kawhi takes would likely be higher percentage shots with durant on the floor

Jonm1010

Banned
I like that Spurs line up far more than the one he would have in GS. Do Spurs have cap room for both Durant and Conley?

I mean I guess it all depends on what they would command/accept to come aboard but I don't think they do right now.

It would maybe require the tough decision to trade Tony Parker for peanuts TBH. Though I am literally just spit balling so someone more in the know should probably answer that.

Top Bottom