• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Bread

Banned
I can't see him going to the Warriors or Spurs. Warriors because it would be bitchmade, and Spurs because they already have two star forwards.

Thunder, Knicks, or Celtics IMO.

Again, why is that wrong rather than just different? It's a lot harder to build through the draft nowadays without outright tanking (another thing people complain about, so which is it?). The Celtics and Lakers of the 80s built their teams through the draft by taking advantage of stupid owners who gave up draft picks like candy. The league actually had to step in and create a rule to prevent these owners from themselves. For crying out loud, the Lakers WON THE FUCKING title and then proceeded to get the number 1 pick in the following draft. Imagine how high the cries of "rigged!" and "the league is fucked!" we'd be hearing if the Warriors or Cavs were able to draft Ben Simmons?

The stuff about rivalries is also pretty overblown. Yeah Lakers/Celtics was the dominating rivalry of the 80s, but the West back then was almost as bad as the east now, and the East in the 80s was pretty much Celtics/Sixers and, towards the end of the decade, Pistons, much like you have Warriors/OKC/Spurs now.

It's a response to the way the league has changed, with regards to free agency (which is earned, not FORCED), and the culture of the players, who are feeling more empowered thanks to guys like LeBron. They don't have to wait for their owner or their GM to build a team around them, often sitting idly by as their prime years are wasted, they have the power to do it themselves. Why is that wrong? It's just like in baseball and football, when people are like "I miss the days when guys would play their entire careers with one team!" when, in reality, most of the time that was not by choice.
my basketball history is not that strong Ninja.. So I'm curious.. How the hell did that work?

I can't see him going to the Warriors or Spurs. Warriors because it would be bitchmade, and Spurs because they already have two star forwards.

Thunder, Knicks, or Celtics IMO.
Boston Bound then.. I really think he will stay or go to the Warriors personally.

Chase17

my basketball history is not that strong Ninja.. So I'm curious.. How the hell did that work?

Boston Bound then.. I really think he will stay or go to the Warriors personally.
The Lakers had traded Don Ford and their first round pick for Cleveland's first round pick and someone else. Cleveland's pick ended up being number 1 overall. So the Lakers won the title then got to add James Worthy with the pick.

I kind of hope Durant to Knicks to happen. Would be fun.

The Lakers had traded Don Ford and their first round pick for Cleveland's first round pick and someone else. Cleveland's pick ended up being number 1 overall. So the Lakers won the title then got to add James Worthy with the pick.

I kind of hope Durant to Knicks to happen. Would be fun.
Oh god.. Now I remember why I forget every time.. I try to block out fucking Ted Stepian and pretend he doesn't exist because every time I remember I wanna drink bleach to cleanse myself. God the worst.

Thank you.. Yet damn you for making me remember at the same time.

Where was "Basketball reasons" then NBA?

Also.. Why would KD really consider the Knicks.. How do you sell it to him? Pretend you're Phil.

Chase17

Also.. Why would KD really consider the Knicks.. How do you sell it to him? Pretend you're Phil.
I think there is very little chance he goes there. When I say I think it be fun, it's in the sense that it's the Kicks and there's an 80% something would go terribly wrong and the media will over scrutinize everything that happens with them.

The ideal scenario is the Knicks getting Dwight.

I think there is very little chance he goes there. When I say I think it be fun, it's in the sense that it's the Kicks and there's an 80% something would go terribly wrong and the media will over scrutinize everything that happens with them.

The ideal scenario is the Knicks getting Dwight.
I like where your head is at. Then magically add Rondo and we can have a stew goin.

Lime

imagex8yf2.jpeg

Cipherr

I'd love to see Durant go to the GSW. Especially because those great teams are so good for the league. All the hand wringing and crying about legacy and teaming up means nothing.... people tune in at record fucking numbers to watch the Heat play 4 years straight. And it would happen again if Durant went to the Warriors.

Pachimari

this is why ZUBAZ! is the perfect Laker

Hmm, I'm pretty excited about Zubac but I don't know much about basketball yet, and I have only seen one highlight video of his game. I hope he turns out well for the Lakers sake though.

---

So I see that Jabari Brown and Zach Auguste will suit up for us during Summer League. Are these guys youth talents the Lakers got, or where did these players come from?

I also look at the official roster, and I had no idea that we have 16 players. Isn't that a lot? I didn't know about Hibbert, Huertas, Bass, Black, Sacre, Kelly and Metta World Peace - are these reserves?

I'm not too familiar with the other guy, but Jabari Brown played with us a couple seasons ago. I liked him back then, and I'm glad he's back. He was a decent shooting Guard, all things said.

In 1980 the Cavs traded a future first round pick to the Lakers for Don Ford, a guy who had just finished averaging a whopping 6 points per game the prior year. By 1982 when the Lakers cashed in that pick, it became the number 1 overall. The Cavs during that span traded away FIVE first round picks in a row, which led the NBA to implement the Stepian rule (named after Cleveland's owner, Ted Stepian) which denied teams the ability to trade first rounders 2 years in a row.

Keep in mind that just a few years earlier, they got THREE first round picks from the Jazz for Gail Goodrich (granted, unlike Ford, he was at least a great player, but he was also 32), one of which became Magic Johnson.

Hmm, I'm pretty excited about Zubac but I don't know much about basketball yet, and I have only seen one highlight video of his game. I hope he turns out well for the Lakers sake though.

---

So I see that Jabari Brown and Zach Auguste will suit up for us during Summer League. Are these guys youth talents the Lakers got, or where did these players come from?

I also look at the official roster, and I had no idea that we have 16 players. Isn't that a lot? I didn't know about Hibbert, Huertas, Bass, Black, Sacre, Kelly and Metta World Peace - are these reserves?

Hibber, Sacre, Kelly and Metta World Peace are free agents and likely won't be resigned. Black may or may not be resigned. I wouldn't mind it as he would probably come cheap and he played decently last year, but if Zubaz does indeed come over there may not be space for him (depending on whether or not the Lakers sign a starting C via free agency, like Whiteside for example). Bass is a vet on a cheap salary, he could probably be traded if necessary but I wouldn't mind just hanging on to him to have someone with some experience on the roster.

the roster right now is probably looking something like:

D'Angelo/Huertas
Clarkson/Lou Williams/Nick Young
Ingram/Brown
Randle/Nance/Bass
Tarik Black/Zubaz

Lot of youth and inexperience. I wouldn't mind trading Lou as I've said before, and Young needs to be cut yesterday, which means signing an experienced, versatile swingman (someone like Bazemore?) would be nice. Obviously if have to start the season with Black as the starting C it's going to be a loooooong year and probably back to the tank for LA.

Cornbread78

What I would give to watch a Durant Warriors squad go against the Lebron Heat team.

Gs would win in a second.

Sounds terrible, but if KD goes to GS, I probably wouldn't bother watching a single game all season. This season was bad enough knowing it would be CLE x GS before the season started, but that would be a GS only team the entire season. Fickle, I know, but why bother at that point.

KD playing in Rucker park was hype as hell ages ago
He should just sign a one year deal and try the Knicks ship, it could sink or it could be amazing , 1 year deal GOAT

I wouldn't boo KD if he went to the warriors, make the USA X people mad >:)

kaiju

It would be a bitch made move and he would be booed everywhere.

I'll take some salt with my Bread.

EDIT: Ayesha Curry is getting hit with some fucking brutal meme's on twitter of the NSFW variety. If I were her I'd just get off that shit for now.

Ronin Ray

I'd love to see Durant go to the GSW. Especially because those great teams are so good for the league. All the hand wringing and crying about legacy and teaming up means nothing.... people tune in at record fucking numbers to watch the Heat play 4 years straight. And it would happen again if Durant went to the Warriors.

The Warriors shattered ever viewer record this year without KD. Highest views ever in TNT history, Highest rated finals ever, I think they also set the record for ABC regular season game.

Gigglepoo

I wonder how receptive Chicago would be to a straight up Lou Williams for Robin Lopez trade?

Does Lou Williams have any value on a bad to middling team? His worth is playing the Vinnie Johnson role and who gives a shit about a hot-shooting sixth man if your team is liquid garbage?

Just swap him for Greg Monroe. Win/win (even though he's not a good defensive C he'd be a big help to the Lakers).

Does Lou Williams have any value on a bad to middling team? His worth is playing the Vinnie Johnson role and who gives a shit about a hot-shooting sixth man if your team is liquid garbage?

Just swap him for Greg Monroe. Win/win (even though he's not a good defensive C he'd be a big help to the Lakers).

The value is that he has 2 years left at $7 million a year, while Robin has 3 years at $14 million., so for a bad to middling team looking to rebuild it's a pretty nice salary dump. You could always flip him a contender too.

Not a fan of Monroe. He can't defend for shit.

Bread

Banned

Lakers would be insane to do that deal

Man as a Raptors fan, I am starting to fear the Knicks.
Team gonna have some talent.

DRose
Whoever they decide at SG
Melo
Porzingis
Howard or Noah depending on whoever they want.

Raptors can't beat that team.

Jarate

Banned

DRose
Melo
Porzingis

I1PLR8k.gif

EDIT: Actually, this requires a Stephen A Smith tier reaction

JZTAt6y.gif

Marz

I actually like that Knicks team. The no.2 team in the Eastern Conference this year was the terrible Toronto Raptors for Christ sake.

That team on paper contends in the East depending on how healthy Rose and Noah are.

DRose
Melo
Porzingis

Whoever thet decide at SG you said??
That team needs some championship experience. Someone who can glue the team together. A guy that can be a leader and get teammates in line for one goal. There is this starting SG from Cavs that just won a championship and is a FA.

S1tmQLD.gif

rVd9vq1.gif

ommkV30h.jpg

Do it, Swish.

I actually like that Knicks team. The no.2 team in the Eastern Conference this year was the terrible Toronto Raptors for Christ sake.

That team on paper contends in the East depending on how healthy Rose and Noah are.

It's the Knicks.. Shits bound to end like the titanic every season
(or mid season)

Top Bottom