• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Jarate

Banned
Knicks would not max Noah though. He would have to take a hometown discount for a year or two and prove that he is healthy.

#MaxNoah

I really don't get the criticism of Ainge as a drafter, personally. Brown was the first top 5 pick he's ever made. He's made a lot of great picks out of the lottery which is where he has drafted, consistently getting starter quality players far more often than other GMS. Sure he's missed a couple players and hasn't hit a grand slam on any particular pick (other than maybe Rondo) but 2/3 of the league missed those very same guys.

The fact that he's made few lottery picks is a testament to the fact that the team has been pretty good under his tenure.

Don't get me wrong, in comparison to the Kings for instance, Id take Ainge's drafting over them any day of the week. He's a solid drafter in the grand scheme of things. The Celtics have their own little process going on right now in a similar way to the Sixers had, and that is testament to the wonderful job Ainge does of trading away garbage for future 1st round picks. Ainge is probably the most consistently good trader in the league now that Hinkie is gone, and a few of his signings for new players have been pretty darn good.

I'd just be nervous if I was a Celtics fan, honestly, Colangelo, outside of Bargnani has been a pretty good drafter. Im honestly not as nervous about the draft as I used to be. But, you guys also dont have to worry about Ainge making a bad trade or a bad free agent pickup, which are much more harmful to franchises then failed picks. I'd just be worried about the treadmill right now if I was Boston

Jarate

Banned
If Whiteside decides to walk, I really hope the Heat ends up pursuing Horford. I feel like between KD, Whiteside, and even Dwight, Horford has been overshadowed this off season. He apparently does not want to play as a Center anymore, which could work for us. He could be our PF and Bosh can be moved back to Center.

From everything ive heard and read regarding Bosh's problems, is that even if he does play, his minutes have got to be severely limited, and he can't really travel with the team anymore on away games. Flying is pretty much a no go for him now.

It's really sad for me to say this, but I don't think he's ever going to play again.

spyder_ur

Don't get me wrong, in comparison to the Kings for instance, Id take Ainge's drafting over them any day of the week. He's a solid drafter in the grand scheme of things. The Celtics have their own little process going on right now in a similar way to the Sixers had, and that is testament to the wonderful job Ainge does of trading away garbage for future 1st round picks. Ainge is probably the most consistently good trader in the league now that Hinkie is gone, and a few of his signings for new players have been pretty darn good.

I'd just be nervous if I was a Celtics fan, honestly, Colangelo, outside of Bargnani has been a pretty good drafter. Im honestly not as nervous about the draft as I used to be. But, you guys also dont have to worry about Ainge making a bad trade or a bad free agent pickup, which are much more harmful to franchises then failed picks. I'd just be worried about the treadmill right now if I was Boston

I am a bit worried about the treadmill as you put it. But really, I don't think that's any fault of Ainge. It is really hard to get a team to an elite level in the NBA because the top players dominate the game more than any other sport. The other thing is I don't really think there would be talk of the Celtics being stuck in mediocrity or whatever if they didn't get back to the playoffs so quickly. They've been a top 10 NBA team since the 2015 All-Star break, and so expectations are rising accordingly, perhaps faster than is realistic.

Ainge is particularly good at contracts. You'll hear some talk about how money doesn't matter that much with the exploding cap. There's some truth to that, but every time you spend money to sign a free agent or make a trade there is also a hidden opportunity cost, some asset that you now can't use in another fashion. He seems to have a good understanding of that.

Chase17

Oh, I'm ready for the treadmill. If we don't land Durant (which I'd be shocked if they somehow did) we probably will have to wait out Lebron before we can be ready for a title run. I'm just hoping that Lebron starts to slow down by 2019/2020 and/or Kyrie doesn't get even better or leaves Cleveland.

For some reason, last year felt like a really damaging year for them as a franchise. Or at least a step back. (not that I thought they'd ever get KD).

Wall is entering his prime and Beal should be established by now and they couldn't make the playoffs in the East. An elite free agent isn't going to seriously consider joining that situation.

Jarate

Banned
Beal was majorly injured for them im pretty sure. I think they got bit by the injury bug bad. If Beal can recover from his injury, then they are still a mediocre team. I don't like Beal and Wall mix, but Wall is a #2 on a great team and Beal is a #3 on a great team. If they get KD, they are instantly a title contender, just need to fill the rest of the roster with vets who will play for dirt cheap to win a chip.

Beal was majorly injured for them im pretty sure. I think they got bit by the injury bug bad. If Beal can recover from his injury, then they are still a mediocre team. I don't like Beal and Wall mix, but Wall is a #2 on a great team and Beal is a #3 on a great team. If they get KD, they are instantly a title contender, just need to fill the rest of the roster with vets who will play for dirt cheap to win a chip.

You can say the same thing with the Knicks with Melo as the second guy and Porzi the third. Around 20 teams are borderline contenders if they can add KD. Which is why he has insane leverage right now.

Jarate

Banned
I don't want Durant to go anywhere near Golden State purely for the reason that everyone in 2K will just pick Golden State whenever I play with them

I don't want Durant to go anywhere near Golden State purely for the reason that everyone in 2K will just pick Golden State whenever I play with them

But that's how it is now anyways. I hate that 2K doesn't let you see which team your opponent selected before the game starts.

XPDjgJY.png

This summer is going to be so stupid.

How do you not think "east is still shit, LeBron actually likes me , we going back to the finals at least 2 more years straight"

Max Sully is best Sully

At least one reporter has already asked Reggie Lewis' mother how she would feel about the Celtics unretiring 35. So many people are going to be heartbroken when Durant stays in OKC.

spyder_ur

At least one reporter has already asked Reggie Lewis' mother how she would feel about the Celtics unretiring 35. So many people are going to be heartbroken when Durant stays in OKC.

The Celtics are going to have to reckon with the amount of numbers they have put in the rafters at some point, especially with Pierce, KG and Perkins getting retired in the next 5 years.

El Topo

How old is LyleLanley really though? Users at Reddit have dug out evidence of threads as early as 4/22/14 and there are indications he may have joined as early as 22/2/11.

Gigglepoo

The Celtics are going to have to reckon with the amount of numbers they have put in the rafters at some point, especially with Pierce, KG and Perkins getting retired in the next 5 years.

I just looked it up and they have 21 retired numbers. That's insane! And it will go up to 23 pretty soon. In comparison, the Yankees have 21 retired numbers and the Lakers have only 9.

One thing I hate about being a Hawks fan besides being a fan of the Hawks is that 99.9% of any rumors are not true. Leaks just don't exist in this franchise.

Doesn't surprise me one bit that Bryan Colangelo is going after Harrison Barnes.
This is the dude that gave a 3 year deal to Landry Fields, making him 2nd highest paid player on Raps at one point.

Tom Penny

Doesn't surprise me one bit that Bryan Colangelo is going after Harrison Barnes.
This is the dude that gave a 3 year deal to Landry Fields, making him 2nd highest paid player on Raps at one point.

Barnes wasn't being used right. He should have been the number one option and took a back seat for the betterment of the team.

The Lakers intend to contact Durant and his representatives July 1 and are confident they will get a meeting, the source said. “I can’t imagine Durant wouldn’t talk to us,” the source said. “That would shock me.”

– via ESPN.com

Lakers still stuck in 2009 confirmed. They're nowhere near close to competing for a ring lol.

The Lakers intend to contact Durant and his representatives July 1 and are confident they will get a meeting, the source said. “I can’t imagine Durant wouldn’t talk to us,” the source said. “That would shock me.”

– via ESPN.com

Lakers still stuck in 2009 confirmed. They're nowhere near close to competing for a ring lol.

They haven't yet accepted the harsh realities of living the tank life for extended periods of time.

Lakers probably got excited when KD mentioned GS "other business opportunities" as a sign that they could use their Hollywood pitch again.

"Yo that pitch didn't work on LMA but I think KD will bite on this one."

Hitta93

Banned
Kind of have a love/hate thing with the Cavs wearing the sleeved jerseys for Game 6/7.

It just being a black jersey is a great thing for one but it if you could just take off the sleeves...

I think it as the Lowe pod today (or it could have been the Dunc'd On) mentioned that if the Spurs want to make a run at KD or Conley they might be wanting to unload Danny Green's salary. I'd take that off their hands if I were the Lakers. He had a down year but in this market I'd take a flyer on a 3 year/$33 million three-and-D guy. They also mentioned that Greg Monroe can opt out of his deal after this season? I don't know how the Bucks are going to dump that contract unless they settle for like a future 2nd rounder in return.

I think it as the Lowe pod today (or it could have been the Dunc'd On) mentioned that if the Spurs want to make a run at KD or Conley they might be wanting to unload Danny Green's salary. I'd take that off their hands if I were the Lakers. He had a down year but in this market I'd take a flyer on a 3 year/$33 million three-and-D guy. They also mentioned that Greg Monroe can opt out of his deal after this season? I don't know how the Bucks are going to dump that contract unless they settle for like a future 2nd rounder in return.

I hope the Lakers just grab a bunch of mid tier guys instead of focusing on the big names. Bazemore, Green, etc.

jbug617

Banned
Wade being left out in Miami so far. He probably not going to leave Miami though.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...e-agency-offers-negotiations-miami-heat-stall

Dwyane Wade's initial contract discussions with the Miami Heat have not produced a common ground between the parties, and he is preparing to field outside offers when free agency opens Friday, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that Wade's representatives have made it known to multiple teams over the last several days that he will be on the market. Some teams have been skeptical, wondering if Wade would seriously consider leaving the franchise where he has played 13 seasons and won three titles.

Top Bottom