• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

qcf x2

It's not like OKC actually needs to talk contract details with KD.

Well, that's kind of my point. What's there to discuss, since he's visiting them before his arranged visits w/ the other teams? If he knew he was going to re-sign with them he would not have arranged other meetings. So he's not going there to say "guys, I'm staying."

Ainge should have every single trophy in the meeting, have some behind the door and under the table
"We don't have enough space for our trophies"

"And, hey, look at that, here's Robert Parish, walking through that door. There's Kevin McHale, walking through that door. Yes, look at that, it's Bill Russell. And here's a 8 by 10 glossy of Larry Bird."

CmIeSqCVYAEXYK4.jpg

Those are their listed heights.

Jarate

Banned
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16597961/sam-hinkie-just-win-tale-process-ultimate-fall

Hinkie is going to get a job real soon, national guys are now looking at what he did with an actual lens of truth rather then hot takes, and are finding out is that he was amazing as a GM, and not only that, Philadelphia, one of the hardest markets to get accepted him, absolutely love him to death

There are so many franchises that could use a Hinkie teardown, it's not even funny.

Now consider this: The Lakers won 17 games this season, and their prized rookie, D'Angelo Russell, secretly filmed a conversation in which he asked teammate Nick Young about being with women other than his then-fiancée, Iggy Azalea. Yet no one blamed that incident on the organization's culture the way Okafor's troubles were linked to The Process.

Consider too: The Kings haven't finished with a .500 record since 2005-06 and just hired their sixth coach in five years. In neither case did the NBA force a regime change.

By stepping in and facilitating the Jerry Colangelo move in Philadelphia, then, Silver sent a message: Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not.

Fjordson

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16597961/sam-hinkie-just-win-tale-process-ultimate-fall

Hinkie is going to get a job real soon, national guys are now looking at what he did with an actual lens of truth rather then hot takes, and are finding out is that he was amazing as a GM, and not only that, Philadelphia, one of the hardest markets to get accepted him, absolutely love him to death

There are so many franchises that could use a Hinkie teardown, it's not even funny.
Yeah, some fans and media are super inconsistent when it comes to tanking / rebuilding.

Like if someone is against it period for whatever reason then fine, but at least be consistent about it.

Jarate

Banned
Yeah, some fans and media are super inconsistent when it comes to tanking / rebuilding.

Like if someone is against it period for whatever reason then fine, but at least be consistent about it.

The Sixers were definitely the first team to actively tank and tell people they were actively tanking

Ive been writing a paper on Tanking in different leagues for a college class and have 2 reasons why Silver shut it down (and make no mistake, Silver knew exactly what he was doing when he brought in Jerry Colangelo), The first is that Tanking is generally bad for the sport, and if this "process" works, every team under the sun are going to copy it, not knowing that when a lot of teams tank, tanking becomes a lot less effective, and doesnt become worth it. The other, and I think the major reason is that Vegas hates teams that Tank. Vegas has known about tanking for years, but if the NBA has hopes for sports betting becoming big for the NBA again, they have to quell these ideas before they happen. It was one of the things AFL (Australian rules Footbal League) have talked about when they were trying to get rid of tanking. Vegas wants every team to be competing equally and not lose on purpose, because they make a lot more money when random tanking teams dont tell them they are about to tank.

The Sixers were definitely the first team to actively tank and tell people they were actively tanking

Ive been writing a paper on Tanking in different leagues for a college class and have 2 reasons why Silver shut it down (and make no mistake, Silver knew exactly what he was doing when he brought in Jerry Colangelo), The first is that Tanking is generally bad for the sport, and if this "process" works, every team under the sun are going to copy it, not knowing that when a lot of teams tank, tanking becomes a lot less effective, and doesnt become worth it. The other, and I think the major reason is that Vegas hates teams that Tank. Vegas has known about tanking for years, but if the NBA has hopes for sports betting becoming big for the NBA again, they have to quell these ideas before they happen. It was one of the things AFL (Australian rules Footbal League) have talked about when they were trying to get rid of tanking. Vegas wants every team to be competing equally and not lose on purpose, because they make a lot more money when random tanking teams dont tell them they are about to tank.
I've mocked the sixers, but my beef wasn't necessary about the tanking, which was nothing more than the shameless exploitation of the new talent system in the NBA, it was more about the professional culture, you need professional NBA players to mentor the new talent cause the coach and the organization can only do so much. That was my displeasure with his process. Then again, I could be wrong and these players were there all along. Can't say I know the team in depth.

KD already knows he's signing with the Lakers he doesn't even need a meeting. He's only meeting with those teams to tell them to their face that he's gonna be a Laker, and to tell Boston personally that Fuck Paul Pierce.

Jarate

Banned
I've mocked the sixers, but my beef wasn't necessary about the tanking, which was nothing more than the shameless exploitation of the new talent system in the NBA, it was more about the professional culture, you need professional NBA players to mentor the new talent cause the coach and the organization can only do so much. That was my displeasure with his process. Then again, I could be wrong and these players were there all along. Can't say I know the team in depth.

I disagree with the idea that the Sixer's didn't have a "professional" mind set in place for their players. As much shit as people give them, the only 2 player issues were Joel Embiid liking Shirley Temples a lot, and Okafor 2 spats early in the season (which I have no problem with beating up a Celtics fan tbh) and this is also ignoring that they had Carl Landry on their roster the entire season. You can read Elton Brands thoughts on the organization and how it was run. The Practice Facility is going to be the best in the USA and maybe the world once it's done, probably will be used by Team USA, the sports science programs were amazing, and you can see that with Carl Landry and Elton Brand having viable NBA seasons. Carl Landry is going to be a huge piece for the Sixer's to trade this trade deadline, especially if he continues his shooting.

This idea that you need veterans is absolutely asinine to me tbh. Every team on earth has had veterans on their team and have had way worse cultural issues then the Sixer's ever had.

Fjordson

I just remembered that bizarre rant from Stephen A. Smith where he basically threatened KD after KD said he was wrong about the KD to LA rumors. Lmao.

Sifl

I think it would be hilarious if he meets teams in New York and doesn't even give the Knicks a meeting, and I say this as a Knicks fan.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I'm shocked any high value free agent would want to meet with us. Duncan is back next season. Having Durant on the team would make it awkward. Where do you play him? 3 is Leonard. 4 is LMA. He's not tall enough to be a center. I'd rather go after Dwight and let Pop mold him into a man.

Tim needs the money and probably for salary cap reasons.

Jarate

Banned
Stephen A Smith also implied as if he was one of the big reasons why the Sixer's fired Hinkie

Stephen A Smith is a fucking joke unless you're looking for echo chamber hot takes.

Fjordson

I'm shocked any high value free agent would want to meet with us. Duncan is back next season. Having Durant on the team would make it awkward. Where do you play him? 3 is Leonard. 4 is LMA. He's not tall enough to be a center. I'd rather go after Dwight and let Pop mold him into a man.
Yeah, I think a guard would be better for SA.

What about Conley? An upgrade at guard would be perfect imo. Parker is a legend, but he just ain't the same these days.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Yeah, I think a guard would be better for SA.

What about Conley? An upgrade at guard would be perfect imo. Parker is a legend, but he just ain't the same these days.

TP was tired this season. He played in the Eurobasket and carried France during the prelims. Then they got upset. He needed some extra rest. I hope France doesn't win the Olympic qualifying tournament next week. That way TP can chill and get ready to score 28.8ppg next season :(

Tubobutts

Tim needs the money and probably for salary cap reasons.
Can't Leonard play the 2?

Why does Tim Duncan need money? Wasn't he paid the max X endorsements throughout his career?

I thought he'd be smart to sign the vet min along with Ginobili to save money X sign the future

Lol KD having the meetings in New York , Knicks sweatn'
Might just go unannounced if they find out where the meetings are

Top Bottom