• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

I'm going to miss Horford. Unless him following KD means ATL has a chance lmao

A chance at what? Tanking the season away?

8pJqbIx.png

What are the odds that either the Lakers or Ramona Shelburne are behind this?

jmizzal

They can't officially sign until next week. See: Deandre Jordan last year.

NBA tv just said they shorten time between when they can sign due to Jordan, I wish they would just let them sign right away, but at least its not such a long time like last year

Durant giving Pat the Don and the Heat the last pitch at him hmmm make it happen Pat

jbug617

Banned
Celtics pushed back the date to guarantee Amir's and Jonas's contract

@GoodmanESPN: Celtics have agreed to amend the guarantee date for both Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko to July 7 instead of July 3, per source.

What does this mean exactly? They have more time to decide? How are they allowed to just push it back - mutual agreement?

Yeah it looks like Amir and Jonas agreed to push it back a few days. They stand to make a lot more money if the C's decline their options anyways.

Messi

Are the Rockets going to get anyone this year? I don't want another season like last year...plus now Dwight is gone :(. More time for Clint Capella tho.

jdstorm

Banned
Are the Rockets going to get anyone this year? I don't want another season like last year...plus now Dwight is gone :(. More time for Clint Capella tho.

Houston are going to try and get everyone. But with so much money around, they are looking like a low tier option

spyder_ur

It means when we strike out in free agency the fall back is the same roster as last year.

I feel like other people are way more disappointed if this happens than me. 3rd youngest team in the NBA who won 48 games? Not the worst thing.

Celtics out on Howard confirmed...

Did they say that or just assuming? I don't think the salary concerns them - it's the years that makes teams hesitate.

Tom Penny

Did they say that or just assuming? I don't think the salary concerns them - it's the years that makes teams hesitate.

I would take Howard on any short deal. I don't like him but i know Crowder/Bradley/Smart funneling guys to him is way different that Amir and worthless defender Zeller.

spyder_ur

I would take Howard on any short deal. I don't like him but i know Crowder/Bradley/Smart funneling guys to him is way different that Amir and worthless defender Zeller.

They'd probably the best defensive team in the league. It's intriguing. I get that Whiteside is a better long-term option, but Dwight is still a really good player right now.

I just don't think he'll want to take a 2-3 year deal at this point in his career.

Hearing Sixers got an offer planned for restricted guard Jordan Clarkson, might put a dent in the Lakers cap room and fuck em over. Could it be possible that nobody wants Dwight and Lakers pick him up because they practically have no center? lol...shiieeetttt.

Jon Armdog

I think Dallas ends up with Whiteside and Conley stays in Memphis. Not really sure about Batum.

I think Whiteside may actually go to Dallas, but Conley and Batum are most likely using the Mavs as leverage to get that extra year from their current teams. I don't think there's much chance either of those dudes change teams

spyder_ur

https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/748212250171875328

Howard would fill a need defensively but he's not really a pick and roll guy and comes with a lot of baggage. C's are going to be players in FA but I don't see them being overly desperate.

Thanks. I hadn't seen that. Yeah, he's not a perfect fit system-wise, although I think he's be a PnR upgrade given that we have noone who can catch the ball above the rim and finish right now.

I get Whiteside and Biyombo are the sexier long-term options, but they're not the player Dwight is now. There are risks to signing all three long term - in particular I'd be terrified if the wrong team signed Whiteside.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
So who signs their contract at midnight this year?

AD got it last year.

I'm ready to be disappointed!

Jarate

Banned
Hearing Sixers got an offer planned for restricted guard Jordan Clarkson, might put a dent in the Lakers cap room and fuck em over. Could it be possible that nobody wants Dwight and Lakers pick him up because they practically have no center? lol...shiieeetttt.

Clarkson has Arenas provision right?

From Libertyballers.com

Clarkson is probably a lock to get a five-year max deal from the Lakers, and I'm sure they'd laugh in his face if he chose to pursue one of these types of deals with another team, because he'd save the Lakers (and lose himself) about $30 million while they match anyway. Barring a major swing, it's not happening with him.

Offering Clarkson a max would probably save the Lakers a lot of money overall if they are looking to max out Clarkson. Because with FA that only played 2 years or less, they have Arenas Provision rules which means that they can't pay him more then 5.6 mil the first year and that number only goes up by 5% the next. Basically, if Clarkson was ever going to get max money, it would be a bad deal for him and lose him 30 mil. Even then, something even less then the max would lose him money overall, but im not to good on this provision

The NBA definately has the worst contract rules in all of pro sports. This shit is so weird

spyder_ur

Clarkson has Arenas provision right?

From Libertyballers.com

Offering Clarkson a max would probably save the Lakers a lot of money overall if they are looking to max out Clarkson. Because with FA that only played 2 years or less, they have Arenas Provision rules which means that they can't pay him more then 5.6 mil the first year and that number only goes up by 5% the next. Basically, if Clarkson was ever going to get max money, it would be a bad deal for him and lose him 30 mil. Even then, something even less then the max would lose him money overall, but im not to good on this provision

The NBA definately has the worst contract rules in all of pro sports. This shit is so weird

Yeah I heard that provision referenced a few times during podcasts and it still kind of confuses me.

NBA contracts are a freaking convoluted nightmare and it only gets worse with every CBA.

Jarate

Banned
Yeah I heard that provision referenced a few times during podcasts and it still kind of confuses me.

NBA contracts are a freaking convoluted nightmare and it only gets worse with every CBA.

Yeah, from what I'm reading is that it can be good or horrible depending on what the use is. The Rockets used it to get Lin due to the back end of the contract being absurdly high, too high for the Knicks to want to deal with. It's really useful for teams looking to sign middling RFAs, but bad for teams looking to sign good ones

Top Bottom