• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

Are the Laker oblivious to the fact that they're in complete rebuild mode? You can go get a big out of the D-League and get about the same production for a fraction of the price you're paying Mosgov.

Jarate

Banned
Damn. Well at least we can still root against the Kings indiscriminately!
No, this is amazing. The Lakers can't possibly be worse then last year, right? Next years draft is loaded not only with talent, but with a lot of good PG's

That's why I'm glad Colangelo refused to trade the pick for Dunn. Next years pick if it falls to like 5-8 is way more valuable then Dunn

Jarate

Banned
Where's Hinkie now? Was he blacklisted by Silver? He proved his competence. If I were an owner I would hire him as a consultant in a heartbeat if he doesn't want an assistant position.

I'm assuming he'll get a job probably next year. It won't stop Sixer's fans from building a statue

This Mosgov deal set the precedence for the future of Center contracts. Unbelievable
Each one of the Warriors bigs should be able to command as much.

This shit is going to take some getting used to

It's going to take some time for people to wrap their heads around these numbers. Marginal players getting $10-15 million is going to be the new normal. Good players will make $18-20 million. Stars will get $25+ million.

Same thing happened in baseball when revenue sky rocketed. People freak out when a team gives $15 million a year to a number 3 pitcher, but that's where the market is now.

SaintR

At this point with Mozgov and Noah getting 15 and 18 4 year deals respectively then maxing out Horford or Whiteside seems like a no brainer, more value for just a couple of mill more.

Dwight might be had for a discount!

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16657295/dwight-howard-seeks-deal-24m-starting-salary

When Dwight Howard starts having his free-agent meetings Friday, he'll seek a contract starting at $24 million a season, according to a source.

Howard is expected to conduct his meetings in his hometown of Atlanta, with the Hawks and Celtics having secured the first discussions with the center.

The Portland Trail Blazers and Charlotte Hornets also have expressed interest in Howard, who declined a player option with the Houston Rockets at $23.2 million.

The amount Howard is seeking isn't that far from what he declined with the Rockets. However, the Rockets didn't believe Howard was worth $23.2 million and wanted the 30-year-old to take a contract with a reduced financial package.

CmQP-6IVUAAPhzo.jpg:medium

Kevtones

Don't forget to ask how his knee is. I'm glad the Mavs are walking away from this experiment.

This isn't the worst point as Stotts comes from the Carlisle umbrella. He could be falling for the same things.

Still:

Lillard/CJ/Aminu/Parsons/whichever Center Portland has

GREAT lineup.

Tim Reynolds ‏@ByTimReynolds 3m3 minutes ago
Hassan Whiteside told at least one Heat teammate earlier this week that he was staying in Miami, AP is told. We shall see.

In response to tweeter

Tim Reynolds ‏@ByTimReynolds 1m1 minute ago
Not a bomb. We shall see what happens tonight. I wouldn't bet on him staying. But I found it interesting.

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 2m2 minutes ago
The Joakim Noah-to-NY deal isn't done, but I'm told the fourth year of the $72 mil deal - as currently discussed - would be guaranteed.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
The Knicks have several shooting guards on their radar, including Austin Rivers, Evan Turner, Eric Gordon and Courtney Lee, per sources. The first domino for New York is Joakim Noah, though. If and when they agree to a number with Noah, they will move on to shooting guard. The club also hasn't ruled out the possibility of meeting with Kevin Durant, sources say. Their meeting with Noah is scheduled for tomorrow and will take place in Orlando, according to ESPN's Ramona Shelburne. The Knicks' interest in Rivers and location of the Noah meeting was first reported by The Vertical.

It's happening.gif

Dr.Acula

Banned
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16616002/nba-lebron-james-see-200m-payday-cleveland-cavaliers

Under such parameters, James would become the highest-paid player in league history for the 2017-18 season by earning $35 million, passing Michael Jordan's record of $33 million in 1997-98. James would also become the league's first $40 million per season player in the 2019-20 season.

Crazy that they were paying MJ $33 mil nearly 20 years ago, and the #1 guy from this year was Kobe, with a paltry $25 mil.

B.O.O.M

4-Year MAX for Parsons coming from Portland.

Hmmmmm… Kind of like.

How is his D/passing?
Didn't realize he was 6'10"

He is a decent playmaker as I recall. Health is the main issue here :S It makes me nervous

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 2m2 minutes ago
The Joakim Noah-to-NY deal isn't done, but I'm told the fourth year of the $72 mil deal - as currently discussed - would be guaranteed.

lol holy shit

Gigglepoo

The crazy thing is that no owners are 'freaking out' at this money. Means they've been REALLY pulling it in.

That's probably not true. I imagine the Pacers built through trades namely because they balked at shelling out so much money. There are other small market teams that will similarly be scared to dole out massive contracts for marginal players.

Kevtones

He is a decent playmaker as I recall. Health is the main issue here :S It makes me nervous

He's versatile and 6'10'' but he's a surprising choice given our supposed focus on BIGS (which may or may not have been a media run).

We're keeping Crabbe it seems.

I think Harkless and Leonard maybe out of the picture (in that order)… I wish we could keep both and spring Parsons.

Looking at Gasol too. I like that for the roster but not at the price. He fits the framework well though he's kind of LMA-ish.

Top Bottom