• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

B.O.O.M

He's versatile and 6'10'' but he's a surprising choice given our supposed focus on BIGS (which may or may not have been a media run).

We're keeping Crabbe it seems.

I think Harkless and Leonard maybe out of the picture (in that order)… I wish we could keep both and spring Parsons.

Looking at Gasol too. I like that for the roster but not at the price. He fits the framework well though he's kind of LMA-ish.

Gasol is too old I reckon. We need someone in the same age range or close to it. Whiteside would have been perfect

yeah, the cavs are gonna miss his 1.2 points per game on a .447 TS%

i know that's snark, just wanted to mention that the lakers are about to be paying $16 million a year to a guy with that line

Kevtones

That's probably not true. I imagine the Pacers built through trades namely because they balked at shelling out so much money. There are other small market teams that will similarly be scared to dole out massive contracts for marginal players.

So you're saying they balked at this to no avail prior to this all going down? I think the revenue sharing is pretty ace in the NBA, no?

That Mozgov signing basically means Whiteside, Horford, Biyombo, etc. wouldn't even answer the Lakers calls lmao?

Whiteside and Horford didn't want to meet, but I think in terms of guys like in that Biymobo tier I think the Lakers didn't want to wait around and get into bidding wars.

Is the mosgov signing set in stone already? Lots of fans are shitting on this deal but IDK anyone that would go on a 17 win team with a bunch of 20 year olds.

Kevtones

Gasol is too old I reckon. We need someone in the same age range or close to it. Whiteside would have been perfect

If Gasol had some crazy secret 'retire in Portland' shit going on then maybe we could get him for a price but he doesn't. You're right, that just isn't happening.

I have this weird feeling that Portland lands:

Parsons
Biyombo/Hibbert (on the cheap)

or

Parsons
Horford

Is the mosgov signing set in stone already? Lots of fans are shitting on this deal but IDK anyone that would go on a 17 win team with a bunch of 20 year olds.

agreed to by both sides so pretty much. It would be a bad look for the Lakers to back out of an agreed to deal, but technically they can until signings are official (I htink a week or so from now?)

odd offer, don't really know what to think, is this really an upgrade from Hibbert?

lVxohX3.png

Technically, yes.

odd offer, don't really know what to think, is this really an upgrade from Hibbert?

Hibbert is awful, so yeah. Mozgov can at least run and dunk. It's definitely not a great deal, but when you consider the context, that the Lakers had a really huge, gaping hole at C, that they are a terrible team loaded with super young players. Guys like Whiteside and Hibbert aren't signing to such an unproven roster, so you are into that Biymobo/Ezili/Mozgov tier of player, so it seems like Mitch decided to grab one of those guys when he could rather than wait out on the others and possibly have to pay more, or get have them go somewhere else. I'm not the biggest fan of the signing, but it's not some franchise crippler. $16 million a year is going to be the going rate for marginal starters, especially big men.

Gigglepoo

Hibbert is awful, so yeah. Mozgov can at least run and dunk. It's definitely not a great deal, but when you consider the context, that the Lakers had a really huge, gaping hole at C, that they are a terrible team loaded with super young players. Guys like Whiteside and Hibbert aren't signing to such an unproven roster, so you are into that Biymobo/Ezili/Mozgov tier of player, so it seems like Mitch decided to grab one of those guys when he could rather than wait out on the others and possibly have to pay more, or get have them go somewhere else. I'm not the biggest fan of the signing, but it's not some franchise crippler. $16 million a year is going to be the going rate for marginal starters, especially big men.

I wonder how much Ian Mahinmi is going to get. It doesn't look like the Pacers are going to resign him and he's much better than Mosgov.

I wonder how much Ian Mahinmi is going to get. It doesn't look like the Pacers are going to resign him and he's much better than Mosgov.

Probably in that same ballpark. You have to think that Mozgov probably got a little more for agreeing so quickly. It's the tax the Lakers paid to not have to wait for a guy to shop around for better deals. I could see Biyombo getting something closer to Noah's deal, if not more, as he's younger and coming off a much better playoff showing.

So I just got here is Mitch Kupchak senile or did he knowingly just give a 30 year old who just had knee surgery and was a bottom tier center 4 years 64 million.

Probably in that same ballpark. You have to think that Mozgov probably got a little more for agreeing so quickly. It's the tax the Lakers paid to not have to wait for a guy to shop around for better deals. I could see Biyombo getting something closer to Noah's deal, if not more, as he's younger and coming off a much better playoff showing.

Tough deal to swallow, almost made me forget the great things that happened this offseason (ingram,walton,etc..). Kinda hurts my excitement but im still optimistic.

Kevtones

Fuck. I'll play center for the Lakers for 1.3 million a year and guarantee them the best odds in the lottery.

I am the better option.

I don't think Mozgov is being evaluated solely on last season. Noah is getting more and he played like 15 games last season and was horrible. The bad teams have to take what they can get.

Mitch probably realizes the Lakers aren't doing anything relevant for the next few seasons, so he decided to troll others teams' caps by inflating the market price for centers with this horrendous deal.

I wonder if KD is regretting not taking the Lakers meeting yet.

I don't think Mozgov is being evaluated solely on last season. Noah is getting more and he played like 15 games last season and was horrible. The bad teams have to take what they can get.

I'd rather keep the cap space than sign Mozgov or Noah to either of those deals. I'm setting myself up for some bad karma where the C's sign Dwight to a billion dollar contract, I know it.

Kevtones

Mitch probably realizes the Lakers aren't doing anything relevant for the next few seasons, so he decided to troll others teams' caps by inflating the market price for centers with this horrendous deal.

So give Hasheem Thabeet an 11-year/14 million contract and set a similar precedent.

Jarate

Banned
Travon Free, the guy from The Ringer who thought Curry wasn't the MVP, thinks Dwight Howard should stay in Houston. Bill Simmons has really assembled a crack staff over there!

Let's be real though, Simmons snatched a lot of great talent at Grantland, and most of those writers moved onto other, generally netter jobs. The farm system was probably dry tbh

Furyous

They have ATMs in LA and the checks clear on time. I'd drown my sorrows in my mansion sealed off from humanity hidden elsewhere on top of my 500 thread dolphin sheets. 4/65 is about 40 million more than Timofey deserves. Get them checks Timofey as you served the Cavs well during your stay in Cleveland. It feels weird having cap space now as world champions.

Is there a Lakers fan on youtube similar to EDP that can give this the rage it deserves?

They have ATMs in LA and the checks clear on time. I'd drown my sorrows in my mansion sealed off from humanity hidden elsewhere on top of my 500 thread dolphin sheets. 4/65 is about 40 million more than Timofey deserves. Get them checks Timofey as you served the Cavs well during your stay in Cleveland. It feels weird having cap space now as world champions.

Cavs have like zero cap space.

Top Bottom