• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

ViciousDS

Banned
David Aldridge ✔ @daldridgetnt
Kevin Durant meeting with Warriors is still going on, per source. Been talking with each other for two-plus hours.

interesting.....maybe they popping the champaign already lol

Dre3001

Tanking brought us DLO and Ingram. I'd rather be bad and have draft picks than mediocre.

I'm a fan of both DLO and Ingram but at this point they are all potential that Lakers are hoping pan out. If they never pan out or only reach half of their potential then you are basically stuck in the same spot hoping that the next draft pick turns out to be something.

I would rather sign a sure thing like Durant or Lebron which instantly turns you into a contender and also could make other top free agents want to join you to win a championship.

Kickz

Twolves talking to Luol Deng, also interested in the Bazemore sweepstakes.

Michael Scotto: Sources: Minnesota Timberwolves have expressed strong interest in free agent Kent Bazemore.
– via Twitter MikeAScotto

I'm a fan of both DLO and Ingram but at this point they are all potential that Lakers are hoping pan out. If they never pan out or only reach half of their potential then you are basically stuck in the same spot hoping that the next draft pick turns out to be something.

I would rather sign a sure thing like Durant or Lebron which instantly turns you into a contender and also could make other top free agents want to join you to win a championship.

The Lakers never had a shot at LeBron or Durant though.

Durant probably just trying to get advanced scouting reports for his return to OKC..

I hope the Warriors have a strong contingency plan should they strike out on Durant. Surprised no one has put an offer out on Barnes nor Ezeli yet. You figure if they're going to sign them, now would be the best time to put out an offer.

Al Jefferson close to a deal with the Pacers per Woj.

Durant probably just trying to get advanced scouting reports for his return to OKC..

I hope the Warriors have a strong contingency plan should they strike out on Durant. Surprised no one has put an offer out on Barnes nor Ezeli yet. You figure if they're going to sign them, now would be the best time to put out an offer.

I don't think you can sign restricted free agents for another week or so.

phanphare

Banned
Al Jefferson looked completely washed up last year.

he started to look pretty good after his surgery and he showed he still had it in the playoffs. dude demoralized whiteside play after play after play after play. his bag of tricks on the low block is seemingly infinite and he essentially demands a double team every time the ball is in his hands.

glad the hornets are parting ways with him though. love me some al but it was time.

I forgot JR signed a short deal worth pennies basically
$$$$$$ incoming for JR the god

crazy thing is he was pretty much the #3 option on that team

Two Words

And it's all his own making so I can't feel sorry for him .He blew up his championship team to save money and now Free Agents threaten to go to Mavs just to get better offers from other teams.
He new up a championship team to go after free agents. Seems like he should give up on it. For whatever reason, free agents seem to never come here. Dallas seems to be the ultimate bait team that players claim to have interest to go to for leverage.

ViciousDS

Banned
holy shit....Big Al to the pacers would be amazing. That team is actually looking really good.

Al Jefferson and the Indiana Pacers are close to verbally agreeing on a three-year, $30 million deal, according to league sources

Furyous

3 years 30 million for Al, that seems like a good deal.

Jeremy Lin got more than Big Al..... LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

JR Smith somewhere demanding negotiations start above 40 mill.

Chandler, D12, and Dame in one city is a sitcom waiting to happen. The big 2.2546 wrecks the league in the future as Dwight looks washed and whines when he doesn't get the ball. Do Oregon businesses drug test? I'm asking for a friend and hope Blazer fans are ready to partake in prime botanicals to get through the upcoming season.

Dr.Acula

Banned

Iczefuf.jpg

Two Words

At this point, Dallas should just do what LA did. Pay Dirk a ridiculous salary as a thanks for taking cuts before. Play two seasons where Dirk can ball as much as he wants and let him max out his numbers. Have a "Dirk is retiring" season in 2017-18 season. Then just use the picks from tanking to rebuild when he's gone. Dallas is B never going to get a target free agent. Give up Mark Cuban. You're being played as leverage. These players never had interest to sign with you. They just wanted to use you to get more money.

Ethan J. Skolnick
‏@EthanJSkolnick
New info on Whiteside deal: it's not necessarily a 4 for $98M max. He agreed to some wiggle room if Durant wants to come

Riles getting it done

These guys don't want to sign with bad teams. That's what has changed about free agency. It used to be that guys would sign with teams that have the most cap space, knowing that it's going to take time to fill out the roster and build around them. Look at Shaq in 96. The Lakers gutted their entire team just to offer him a contract and he wasn't worried about who else was on the roster. The landscape of the league has changed. Everyone has money and cap space, you can get endorsements anywhere. Guys want to go where they can play with other good players and win right away. People might say it's worse for the league or a bad thing, but I think it represents the nature of how these guys are perceived now and the increased pressure to win. If you are a star player in your prime every year you don't win a title is another year people start questioning if you are a bum or a fraud or what your "legacy" is. The onus is on teams like the Lakers or the Knicks or Sixers to put together solid teams, develop young players, and create an environment that a star might want to come play in, not the other way around.

Marc J. Spears ‏@MarcJSpearsESPN 2m2 minutes ago
NBA announced free agent O.J. Mayo has been dismissed & disqualified from the NBA for violating terms of the NBA/NBPA Anti-Drug Program.

What a bust

megalowho

That Big Al deal has me thinking (hoping) the Mozgov stunner was a reach out of the gate by Lakers management instead of the new reality for bigs in the NBA. The Lin and Clarkson contracts seem reasonable too.

phanphare

Banned
Jeremy Lin got more than Big Al..... LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

is this at all surprising? al's an old man at this point, he's injury prone, and his game is seemingly a relic of the past. not to mention his defense aka his lack of defense. jeremy lin is a pg in his prime who proved himself to be valuable this past season.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
These guys don't want to sign with bad teams. That's what has changed about free agency. It used to be that guys would sign with teams that have the most cap space, knowing that it's going to take time to fill out the roster and build around them. Look at Shaq in 96. The Lakers gutted their entire team just to offer him a contract and he wasn't worried about who else was on the roster. The landscape of the league has changed. Everyone has money and cap space, you can get endorsements anywhere. Guys want to go where they can play with other good players and win right away. People might say it's worse for the league or a bad thing, but I think it represents the nature of how these guys are perceived now and the increased pressure to win. If you are a star player in your prime every year you don't win a title is another year people start questioning if you are a bum or a fraud or what your "legacy" is. The onus is on teams like the Lakers or the Knicks or Sixers to put together solid teams, develop young players, and create an environment that a star might want to come play in, not the other way around.

Max deals mean that everyone can basically pay you the same amount, so at that point, it comes down to winning.

This FA going crazy is because the NBA is dumb about having max deals. They got lucky that Miami didn't win 4 in a row and cause the CBA to get blown up. Max deals basically lead to super teams.

is this at all surprising? al's an old man at this point, he's injury prone, and his game is seemingly a relic of the past. not to mention his defense aka his lack of defense. jeremy lin is a pg in his prime who proved himself to be valuable this past season.

Outside of foul baiting Hassan he looked ancient our there.

That Big Al deal has me thinking (hoping) the Mozgov stunner was a reach out of the gate by Lakers management instead of the new reality for bigs in the NBA. The Lin and Clarkson contracts seem reasonable too.

It was def an overpay to get a guy to agree right away and avoid having to get into a bidding war, but the big Al deal is probably more of a testament to where the league values all offense/post up bigs. This is why I was glad we didn't draft Okafor last year. Guys who are run down but still have defensive anchor chops like Tyson Chandler last year or Joakim Noah this year are going to get almost double what Al Jefferson is worth.

Top Bottom