• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

jmizzal

Marc J. Spears ‏@MarcJSpearsESPN 2m2 minutes ago
NBA announced free agent O.J. Mayo has been dismissed & disqualified from the NBA for violating terms of the NBA/NBPA Anti-Drug Program.

What a bust

Lol last guy to be kicked out the NBA was Birdman right, and he made a come back

Cm16hod.png

lol

Because they're bringing in so much tv money Jeremy Lin can make $10M a year and everyone thinks its a good deal?

The money is there. A $10-15 million deal isn't going to cripple a team, I don't see the problem. It's going to take some getting used to, I know, but it's not a bad thing. Teams and fans will adjust.

phanphare

Banned
Outside of foul baiting Hassan he looked ancient our there.

I mean....nah tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyQU-kozEG8;t=27s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyQU-kozEG8;t=39s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyQU-kozEG8;t=47s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyQU-kozEG8;t=58s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jj7qLEV8rI;t=9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jj7qLEV8rI;t=26s

like I said play after play after play after play

at work so I only looked up two games haha

edit: lol, the description for the first video

"New plan for the Hornets in game 3: just throw the ball to Al Jefferson in the post and see how many times he can make Hassan Whiteside his bitch before Whiteside freaks out and gets ejected for punching his smug face. Once Whiteside is out of the way, it should be smooth sailing and Big Al can probably rack up 40 to 50 points abusing Amar'e Stoudemire's mangled knees."

The league is in great shape. The games popularity is expanding globally. Ratings are great. And for a star driven league there are as many stars and potential stars now than maybe in any other period I can remember. It's not all hinging on one guy like it was in the 90s. The owners would need to pull off some real fuckery to claim a lockout is needed.

Cheebo

Banned
So when can we expect another lockout? Cause all this money being thrown around doesn't seem sustainable.

We have all this money because it is sustainable. The league is ranking in the cash and it will only continue to grow. Ratings have been rising, the average age of viewers is very young (which the NBA wants) and the league is growing dramatically overseas. It is the only major American sport with any significant presence in China. NBA is is the most sustainable and viable of all the major US sports leagues for the next 50 years, no question.

ViciousDS

Banned
We have all this money because it is sustainable. The league is ranking in the cash and it will only continue to grow. Ratings have been rising, the average age of viewers is very young (which the NBA wants) and the league is growing dramatically overseas. It is the only major American sport with any significant presence in China. NBA is is the most sustainable and viable of all the major US sports leagues for the next 50 years, no question.

I will agree with this.....outside of Soccer........basketball is quickly becoming the worlds second biggest sport. I mean look at how big international and now even club teams have become.

Kickz

Darren Wolfson: #Twolves GM Scott Layden has reached out on Brandon Bass, and they have reached out on Kris Humphries, as previously reported here.
– via Twitter DWolfsonKSTP

Gross, just get Deng, and let that be it.

Tom Haberstroh Retweeted Kevin Pelton
Kevin Pelton points out that by paying $64M, Lakers basically punted on '17 2-max cap space ... for the Cavs' 10th man.

gutshot

Jon Krawczynski @APkrawczynski
AP Source: 76ers agree to terms with Jerryd Bayless on 3 year, $27M deal

The Sixers signed someone!

BadAss2961

Obviously the NBA's doing very well financially. Players were going to be making more money with the big cap increase, but teams are being irresponsible, paying well beyond value to fill it. So it's quickly becoming a league of bad contracts. GM's were already getting dumber and dumber, now they're going to fuck the balance completely with getting too much wiggle room too fast. The separation from what a decent player can demand to a good one is closing, and a good player to an actual superstar is just about non-existent. Bench players, prospects that have proven nothing, and broken down guys are starting to eat cap space with serious money. Bradley Beal is a max player... He might as well be LeBron.

Things might balance out to something somewhat sensible after awhile, but these first few years are going to be ugly. I'm kinda shook at what the Bulls are about to offer Barnes just to say we got something out of this free agency.

So of the Cavs remaining 2016 roster, how many are likely to be retained? Starting to feel kinda bad...
Love probably will be traded.. Someone check me on this but Lebron opting out means he cannot take a pay cut. Cavs can sign him if the new contract has more $ value than the contract he opted out for. They already got 70mil going to Kyrie, love, TT, and Frye next year. The cap is rising 90+mil. Unless dan gilbert don't mind paying what could possibly end up being the highest luxry tax ever paid by an nba team.

steroids again?
My guess is crack.

Two Words

Love probably will be traded.. Someone check me on this but Lebron opting out means he cannot take a pay cut. Cavs can sign him if the new contract has more $ value than the contract he opted out for. They already got 70mil going to Kyrie, love, TT, and Frye next year. The cap is rising 90+mil. Unless dan gilbert don't mind paying what could possibly end up being the highest luxry tax ever paid by an nba team.

My guess is crack.
I'm pretty sure things like 2 year bans is for performance drugs, not recreational drugs. Why assume crack?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Obviously the NBA's doing very well financially. Players were going to be making more money with the big cap increase, but teams are being irresponsible, paying well beyond value to fill it. So it's quickly becoming a league of bad contracts. GM's were already getting dumber and dumber, now they're going to fuck the balance completely with getting too much wiggle room too fast. The separation from what a decent player can demand to a good one is closing, and a good player to an actual superstar is just about non-existent. Bench players, prospects that have proven nothing, and broken down guys are starting to eat cap space with serious money. Bradley Beal is a max player... He might as well be LeBron.

Things might balance out to something somewhat sensible after awhile, but these first few years are going to be ugly. I'm kinda shook at what the Bulls are about to offer Barnes just to say we got something out of this free agency.

The average NBA player is going to get roughly ~12-13 million with how large the cap is. Thats pretty simple math. The max number has never been about being an accurate reflection as to what the top talent in the league is worth, its always been intended to simply limit what the top of the market can get.

DeRozan making the same amount of money as KD doesn't mean they're equals, its just the owners successfully limiting the amount of money the best talent can get in the mirage of competitive balance.

The NBA PA is totally cool with this because the less money the Lebron's of the world makes the more that goes down to the the bottom 7-8 guys of the roster. If the max didn't exist guys like KD and Lebron would seriously take up like 70% of a teams payroll and justifiably so.

spyder_ur

I'm torn on this. On one hand, the league has arguably never been in a stronger place. Still, I have heard
(from actual people who work for NBA franchises - sorry to do the 'sources' thing)
that there is a real potential of a lockout next summer. It's great that franchise values are going up, but there are egos involved here. I'm not sure the owners of, say the Nuggets or Timberwolves are thrilled about having to drastically overpay marginal players to hit the salary floor when they are not competitive for top free agents and are not competing for a title. I think the league has real competitive balance problems to navigate.

This is a gravy train for the players right now and the owners aren't making out half bad either, but this can't be the permanent state. There are signs of a bubble here. I do think any issues are more easily solvable than what we had in 2011, though, and I trust Silver.

Jarate

Banned
Jon Krawczynski @APkrawczynski
AP Source: 76ers agree to terms with Jerryd Bayless on 3 year, $27M deal

The Sixers signed someone!

5th in the league in catch and shoot 3's last year, played really well with Giannis at point guard.

really like this pick up right now

Mortemis

Banned
I keep seeing from some fans that the Mosgov deal has year three being partial guarantees and year four being a team option. Has anyone seen a source on that or is it just wishful thinking from fans?

Still a bad deal, but if it's essentially filling out cap space for the next two years it's not as bad. Not like big name free agents were gonna come next year either. The thing that's especially shitty was the four year part of it, big men don't age well past their thirties. I'd rather not see even more punished Mosgod.

nillah

Banned
Pretty much, it's why I can't get invested in any of this Durant hype when it's most likely going to end in him resigning with OKC for another year.
Durant has his skills that can carry him anywhere, he'd be taking a risk going else where with all the chemistry invested into the band he's been with all these years. I do think the Warriors would be a good fit and he'd probably grow as a player.

Top Bottom