• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

So....Lakers aren't playing that bad!

Yay?

EDIT: Six minutes on the floor and Upshaw already got a block, god damn.

EDIT2: Dear Byron Scott,

Shoot more threes.

Thanks,

Andrew

Fjordson

Yet another preseason game for Golden State tonight that isn't on TV.

What the shit is up with that. Defending champs and they can't even get a preseason game on television. Not even the local station is showing it.

Teemo

Banned
I haven't follow much of the nba in the offseason, but who are the favorites right now? Spurs, Clippers, GS and Cavs?

I haven't follow much of the nba in the offseason, but who are the favorites right now? Spurs, Clippers, GS and Cavs?

Okc as well just a matter of health with that team. They got arguably the best player on the NBA. And if I had to add one East team.

The Miami Heat.

Kevtones

Sure it's pre-season but Portland looks surprisingly sharp. Deep too. Aside from playing 2/3rd stringers for one quarter/OT against Sac, they've completely dominated 7/8 quarters. They put 75 against the Warriors 1st stringers in the 1st half for instance.

Taking the OVER on 30 wins.

Sanjuro

LeBron James is no longer a part of the McDonald's Universe. He now will be the spokesman for Blaze Pizza, a hipster pizza place nobody cares about.

Still the GOAT.

RVOqH4V.png

Cheebo

Banned
Hasn't McDonalds been on a sharp downward trend lately? They have been losing customers left and right. If anything Subway would be the gold standard fast food chain to associate with these days.

Sanjuro

Hasn't McDonalds been on a sharp downward trend lately? They have been losing customers left and right. If anything Subway would be the gold standard fast food chain to associate with these days.

Subway is the top fast food place, but in no way would a image conscious spokesperson would jump at the chance to replace a pedophile.

McDonalds would still be the preferable place for pretty much anyone. Guy isn't strapped for cash, so he is looking to help create something out of nothing.

Okc as well just a matter of health with that team. They got arguably the best player on the NBA. And if I had to add one East team.

The Miami Heat.

i'm cautiously optimistic for the heat. they have to have a lot of things break right for them to be a contender. For one, Wade has to be efficient offensively as he continues to decline defensively to make up for that end of the court. Then you have Whiteside, who can be an amazing player one day and a fucking meathead moron the next. besides that, you gotta hope that they're not prone to injury, which last season didn't exactly leave me thinking that they could be a healthy team.

if all things work out, a starting 5 of Deng, Bosh, Whiteside, Wade, and Dragic should be pretty fun to watch. And if the starting lineup stays healthy you have Amare, Winslow, and McRoberts coming off the bench which isn't bad at all. the team has the potential to be deep if they don't get injured.

but i fear they're gonna get injured so i have zero expectations for this season

Dwight Howard told SportsRadio 610 that he played through a torn MCL and meniscus during the Western Conference Finals vs. the Warriors. He averaged 14.4 PPG and 14.4 RPG while playing 38 minutes per game in the series.

Cheebo

Banned
Subway is the top fast food place, but in no way would a image conscious spokesperson would jump at the chance to replace a pedophile.

McDonalds would still be the preferable place for pretty much anyone. Guy isn't strapped for cash, so he is looking to help create something out of nothing.
Oh many that is right about Jared! Wow good point.

I used to hate them, if they ever get good again maybe I'll consider hating them again. As it is now I barely even think of them.

And this is the biggest change in the last 5 years. No one cares anymore.

Very sad. I think its the biggest fall from grace in franchise sports history, and it breaks my heart. The Sideale Threat, Elden Campbell days seem like distant glory days compared to the last few years.

Fjordson

Just watched the Randle highlights. Damn he looks good. His ability to grab a rebound and start the break is pretty dope. That's something Draymond Green does so well for Golden State. It seems like a small thing, but it can catch the other team's power forward (or center if Draymond is playing the 5) way out of position when he blows by them.

Cheebo

Banned
And this is the biggest change in the last 5 years. No one cares anymore.

Very sad. I think its the biggest fall from grace in franchise sports history, and it breaks my heart. The Sideale Threat, Elden Campbell days seem like distant glory days compared to the last few years.
The younger generation of NBA fans who first got into the game last few years associate LA with the Clippers. It's a pretty remarkable shift.

Sure it's pre-season but Portland looks surprisingly sharp. Deep too. Aside from playing 2/3rd stringers for one quarter/OT against Sac, they've completely dominated 7/8 quarters. They put 75 against the Warriors 1st stringers in the 1st half for instance.

Taking the OVER on 30 wins.

I think it comes down to Stotts coaching ability. It's easy to look at all the big names we lost and be down on the team but if Stotts can get these newer and younger guys in-sync it will be exciting to watch still. Blazers were horrible at second chance points and scoring on turnovers last year but that doesn't seem to be the case with these new guys. They are young and scrappy and not afraid to get in there. I went to the Portland vs Sac game and it was immediately apparent how much faster and athletic this new team is.

Then if Crabbe/McCollum proves dependable and can score then there's no way Blazers end up under 30 wins.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
i'm cautiously optimistic for the heat. they have to have a lot of things break right for them to be a contender

but i fear they're gonna get injured so i have zero expectations for this season
Pretty much how I feel. Plus I know Spo is going to have a short leash on Winslow instead of giving him minutes that will go to Wade and Deng. With Winslow and Green, there really is no reason for Deng and Wade to play more than 30 minutes a game in the regular season.

Yet another preseason game for Golden State tonight that isn't on TV.

What the shit is up with that. Defending champs and they can't even get a preseason game on television. Not even the local station is showing it.
I couldn't find the Heat locally either. It must be a contractual thing.

Bread

Banned
lol oh give me a break

your team is bad for once, no need to be so melodramatic

lol oh give me a break

your team is bad for once, no need to be so melodramatic

Its not just bad, its the largest regression in modern times, and whats even more scary is that it seems to be acceptable to win 21 games. If my father we around to see this, he would not even have believed it. Ive never experienced a half decade like this in my life, and Im not young.

Its not just bad, its the largest regression in modern times, and whats even more scary is that it seems to be acceptable to win 21 games. If my father we around to see this, he would not even have believed it. Ive never experienced a half decade like this in my life, and Im not young.

WTF...I can't say I sympathize with this one bit.

Ok so I decided to post a preview of the season thread. Feedback would be nice. It is a work in progress. Will add more teams when I can.

Title Suggestions? For OT

121210092244-nba-logo-wordmark-275-wide.story-top.jpg

THE NBA IS BACK.. That puts a smile on all faces including Kendrick Perkins.. Keep collecting them checks Perk.

perkins-bigger-role.jpg

121210092244-nba-logo-wordmark-275-wide.story-top.jpg

The 2015–16 NBA season is the 70th season of the National Basketball Association. The regular season will begin on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at the United Center, home of the Chicago Bulls, who will be hosting a game against the Cleveland Cavaliers in the early game, followed by the 2015 NBA champions Golden State Warriors hosting the New Orleans Pelicans in the night game. Christmas games will be played on Friday, December 25, 2015. The 2016 NBA All-Star Game will be played at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on Sunday, February 14, 2016. The regular season will end on Wednesday, April 13, 2016. The playoffs will begin on Saturday, April 16, 2016.
1297705319248_ORIGINAL.jpg

Retirement
On June 18, 2015, Shawn Marion officially announced his retirement after playing 16 seasons with one NBA championship with Dallas Mavericks in 2011.
On June 23, 2015, Andrei Kirilenko officially announced his retirement after playing 13 seasons in NBA.
On July 2, 2015, Kenyon Martin officially announced his retirement after playing 15 seasons in the NBA.
On July 22, 2015, Stephen Jackson officially announced his retirement after playing 14 seasons with one NBA championship with San Antonio Spurs in 2003.
On August 11, 2015, Elton Brand officially announced his retirement after playing 16 seasons in NBA.
On September 23, 2015, Jason Richardson officially announced his retirement after playing 14 seasons in NBA.

Coaching Changes
Off-season
On April 22, 2015, the Oklahoma City Thunder fired head coach Scott Brooks after seven years with the team.
On April 30, 2015, the Oklahoma City Thunder hired Billy Donovan as head coach.
On May 12, 2015, the New Orleans Pelicans fired head coach Monty Williams after five years with the team.
On May 28, 2015, the Chicago Bulls fired head coach Tom Thibodeau after five years with the team.
On May 29, 2015, the Orlando Magic hired Scott Skiles as head coach.
On May 30, 2015, the New Orleans Pelicans hired Alvin Gentry as head coach.
On June 2, 2015, the Chicago Bulls hired Fred Hoiberg as head coach.
On June 15, 2015, the Denver Nuggets hired Michael Malone as head coach.
On September 10, 2015, the Minnesota Timberwolves announced that assistant coach Sam Mitchell would take on the interim head coach role while Flip Saunders recovers from Hodgkin's Lymphoma.[15]

Key NBA dates for 2015-16:
Sept. 10-12 -- Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Enshrinement (Springfield, MA)
Sept. 25 -- First allowable date for players participating in preseason NBA Global Games to report to their teams (no earlier than 11 a.m. local time)
Sept. 26 -- Training Camps open for all teams participating in preseason NBA Global Games
Sept. 28 -- First allowable date for all other players to report to their teams (no earlier than 11 a.m. local time)
Sept. 29 -- Training Camps open for all other teams
Oct. 4 -- NBA Canada Series 2015, L.A. Clippers vs. Toronto Raptors (Vancouver)
Oct. 6 -- NBA Global Games 2015, Olimpia Milano vs. Boston Celtics (Milan, Italy)
Oct. 8 -- NBA Global Games 2015, Real Madrid vs. Boston Celtics (Madrid, Spain)
Oct. 10 -- NBA Canada Series 2015, Chicago Bulls vs. Minnesota Timberwolves (Winnipeg)
Oct. 11 -- NBA Global Games 2015, Charlotte Hornets vs. L.A. Clippers (Shenzhen, China)
Oct. 14 -- NBA Global Games 2015, Charlotte Hornets vs. L.A. Clippers (Shanghai, China)
Oct. 14 -- NBA Canada Series 2015, Minnesota Timberwolves vs. Toronto Raptors (Ottawa)
Oct. 17 -- NBA Global Games 2015, Flamengo vs. Orlando Magic (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
Oct. 23 -- NBA Canada Series 2015, Toronto Raptors vs. Washington Wizards (Montreal)
Oct. 23 -- NBA Preseason ends
Oct. 26 -- Rosters set for NBA Opening Day
Oct. 27 -- Start of the 2015-16 NBA Regular Season (NBA Tip-Off 2015)
Dec. 3 -- NBA Global Games 2015, Boston Celtics vs. Sacramento Kings (Mexico City)
Jan. 5 -- 10-day contracts may now be signed
Jan. 10 -- All contracts are guaranteed for the remainder of the season
Jan. 14 -- NBA Global Games 2016, Orlando Magic vs. Toronto Raptors (London)
Feb. 12-14 -- NBA All-Star 2016 (Toronto, Canada)
Feb. 18 -- Trade deadline, 3 p.m. ET
March 1 -- Playoff Eligibility Waiver Deadline
April 13-16 -- Portsmouth Invitational Tournament (Portsmouth, VA)
April 13 -- Regular Season ends
April 15 -- Rosters set for NBA Playoffs 2016, 3 p.m. ET
April 16 -- NBA Playoffs 2016 begin
April 24 -- NBA Early Entry Eligibility Deadline (11:59 p.m. ET)
May 2 -- Conference Semifinals begin (possible move up to April 30 or May 1)
May 11-15 -- NBA Draft Combine 2016 (Chicago)
May 17 -- Conference Finals begin (possible move up to May 15 or 16)
May 17 -- NBA Draft Lottery 2016
June 2 -- NBA Finals 2016 begin
June 13 -- NBA Draft Early Entry Entrant Withdrawal Deadline (5:00 p.m. ET)
TBD -- The Finals 2016 latest possible date
June 23 -- NBA Draft 2016

NBA Draft Results for 2015 1st round
GettyImages-478549644.0.jpg

Golden State Warriors

CHrHngUUAAAozxH.jpg

ocbczDV.gif

Spurs
ynHptaG.png

cockypop2.gif

Cavs
Cleveland-Cavaliers-2016.jpg

Meanwhile TT and Rich Paul "Waiting to get over paid."

5YAsa8A.png

For the Lakers fan. This season will be better than the last.

The Lakers are ... in the famous words of Lakers great Swaggy P or now known as Nicholas Young. "Back in the Building"

swaggy.gif
laskdjaskldjasd.png

JGKrIFZ.png

For the Knicks fans. "Stay Melo" because help is on the way.

lKavr8U.png

Derek Fisher has successfully implemented the triangle offense.

K6DrhhD.jpg

OKC has Conan the Barbarian, forget about this Kevin Durant guy.
64aebg2.png

Mavs, don't know if they upgraded at PG since Jose Calderon.
UfhBPMi.png
DeAndre-Jordan-Face-After-Brandon-Knight-Dunk.gif

Ride Together....
WellmadeThunderousFlatfish.gif
Together.
JSIYAgx.jpg

Yes, I know Stern isn't the commissioner anymore

Bread

Banned
you've experienced 2 losing seasons in the past 5 years, boo fucking hoo.

Ydahs

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone could help me understand how the Standing rankings work? I have a shallow understanding of it, but the finer details on the ordering confuse me.

From my understanding, this determines rankings within divisions:
  1. Overall win-loss ratio
  2. Division win-loss ratio
  3. Points ratio
Though if we look at the image below, Utah is above Denver despite Denver having the better points ratio. Is it because of the conference win-loss ratio? Though if we take into account the conference win-loss ratio, wouldn't New York be above Boston?
Sorry if it's obvious, the sports I usually follow don't have a division/conference system.

lIEU3tl.png

Damn Klay....

Regarding OT- Good start.. I'd get rid of all the offseason dates to save space. I'd say keep the offseason stuff in general to a bare minimum as well. Focus should be on the regular season.

Miracle

Every single franchise goes through a rebuilding phase. It's not some end of the world or "fall from grace" bull crap. Lakers have been very fortunate to be so good for so long but eventually this would have to happen and when it did, they have to finally do a good old fashioned rebuild.

Also, did you know the Lakers use to suck in 2005 too? Even 2006-2007! Might have made the playoffs those two years but it was because a prime, freak of nature Kobe single handedly took an otherwise worst roster for a playoff team I have ever seen. Literally we would have sucked like we did in the last couple of seasons now too if it wasn't for prime Kobe. For you to say you have never experienced a half decade like this would be a lie if you have been a fan of the team for that long. :p

However, difference between those 3 years and the last 3 years is that NOW, I actually look forward to watching this team game by game again. I haven't felt this excited about a Lakers team since 2010. Watching the core 3 (Clarkson, Russell and Randle) growing together, exciting role players (Lou Williams, Hibbert), and another possible diamond in the rough (Robert Upshaw), I'm completely ok with heading into this season, whatever happens. :)

Fjordson

lIEU3tl.png

Damn Klay....

Regarding OT- Good start.. I'd get rid of all the offseason dates to save space. I'd say keep the offseason stuff in general to a bare minimum as well. Focus should be on the regular season.
Love this. Clippers are a trash franchise. Trash roster, Doc is a trash coach and a worse GM. So much talk for an annual one and done team.

Top Bottom