• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

So I guess we should do a quick roll call. State your primary team allegiance

<--Warriors (obviously)

Cleveland (more on that)
Charlotte (that, too)
Potentially anyone (ditto)

I live in Charlotte (5+ years), whole life in North Carolina. I like the Hornets, but I wouldn't consider them my favorite team. But they're certainly far more preferable than the local NFL team, I'll give them that. They got a big boost with the change back to the Hornets from the Bobcats, too.

I like to follow players, notably Duke players. Kyrie is my favorite of recent years, so that draws me towards Cleveland. With that in mind, Duke players are all around the league, so if it comes down to a game between a team with one and without one, I'll generally pick the team with one unless that team is insufferable (Lakers).

PBY

Banned
Cleveland (more on that)
Charlotte (that, too)
Potentially anyone (ditto)

I live in Charlotte (5+ years), whole life in North Carolina. I like the Hornets, but I wouldn't consider them my favorite team. But they're certainly far more preferable than the local NFL team, I'll give them that. They got a big boost with the change back to the Hornets from the Bobcats, too.

I like to follow players, notably Duke players. Kyrie is my favorite of recent years, so that draws me towards Cleveland. With that in mind, Duke players are all around the league, so if it comes down to a game between a team with one and without one, I'll generally pick the team with one unless that team is insufferable (Lakers).

I went to Duke - join the Heat bandwagon. McBob for lifeeeee.

WTF was Kobe doing playing in the 3rd anyways. God damn it Byron. This dude really has no idea what hes doing. He may have stolen more money from teams than Mike Brown, who is a fraud.

Laker management really is a joke.

<--Warriors (obviously)

I'm gonna state it all, playboy

<--Raptors (hometown lovin', even on their reddit.)

Secondary-- Cleveland (Lebron is my favorite active player)

Sacramento (Curious if Rondo & Boogie can get it done, and I'm curious about Seth Curry.)

Charlotte (I have bet going on with someone on another forum.)

WTF was Kobe doing playing in the 3rd anyways. God damn it Byron. This dude really has no idea what hes doing. He may have stolen more money from teams than Mike Brown, who is a fraud.

It's to get them prepared for December! Don't worry about injuries, we will just have more energy than the rest of the league because we will have trained harder!

Fjordson

<--Warriors (obviously)

Warriors fan since June of 2015. I'm a winner so I tend to like winning teams.

nah, been a Warriors fan since I moved to San Francisco from London as a kid

I'm more of a fan of players than teams. My players are Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant, and Kawhi Leonard. I'm adding Emmanuel Mudiay to that list since he's my pick for Rookie of the Year.

Hmm, I guess my team would be the Spurs? I enjoy their style of basketball.

I used to be a fan of players along with the W's back in the 90's but I find it just too hard these days to pay attention to multiple teams.

Sandfox

Why wouldn't Kobe play in the 3rd? He only logged in 17 minutes before hitting his knee.

zychi

Banned

<--Warriors (obviously)
Its in my name.

Chi all day

The "not being able to follow other teams and players" narrative is weird. Its easier than ever. Nbatv, nba on tnt, twitter and nba.com makes it soooooo easy

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Fuck anyone not the Miami Heat, everyone is the enemy. Those 4 seasons of non-stop hate make me wish failure on almost every fanbase and success only to mine. In the Game of Zones there are no allies only interests.

Cheebo

Banned
My hometown team is Pistons but I don't have much of an expectation outside of a first round playoff loss. I will always root for them though.

I like the Heat a lot though and I am really warming up to the Pelicans, they are quickly becoming my west team of choice. So I would say those are my 3.

There are honestly no teams I hate. If a team is good that is a great thing, I like watching talented players play. So watching the Warriors at their best is fantastic. I hope the big 3 in Cleveland are healthy for the playoffs and do great and so on. I want talented players to play and do well. That's good basketball.

El Topo

Mavericks. Any team with a German has my sympathy, but obviously Mavericks come first. Only follow the NBA sporadically though.

The "not being able to follow other teams and players" narrative is weird. Its easier than ever. Nbatv, nba on tnt, twitter and nba.com makes it soooooo easy

Oh it's definitely more convenient to follow the league more broadly. At the same time, it's also a lot easier to spend (waste) tons of time digging into content specifically on one team. So, I have a hard time paying attention to any team that's not the Warriors these days due to time and interest. Hence why I said "I have a hard time".

Fjordson

Yeah, I'm the same way sort of. I catch all the Warriors games on local TV, but I don't watch much outside of that these days.

Of course that changes a bit once the playoffs start. I pretty much watch every series when they start.

Yeah, I'm the same way sort of. I catch all the Warriors games on local TV, but I don't watch much outside of that these days.

Of course that changes a bit once the playoffs start. I pretty much watch every series when they start.

Playoffs are a different beast. I'll watch more games but I tend to ignore the early Eastern Conference rounds.

Last year I did the online streaming NBA League Pass with the 5 payment plan. I ended up cancelling the service in the middle of November, got charged 44.00 dollars on Nov 29th, and my service continued to work for the rest of the season without ever being charged again.

I'm sure I won't get lucky like that this year, but it may not hurt to try.

overcast

Gonna be honest. Warriors are my favorite to take it this year. I feel like the Cavs are 2nd, Spurs 3rd.

Pretty big gulf between them. Then maybe some of the other western teams.

StMeph

I am, weirdly, a fan of front offices before teams or players. Being in Houston helps, since I think Morey is easily one of the best GMs in the business. It also means I like PHI (Hinkie), and can't not respect SAS (Buford).

Jarate

Banned
<---------- Sixers fan who stopped watching the NBA during the mid 2000s and started watching again recently enough too see my team gather enough assets to trade for a potential superstar

Ill try to post every now and again in here, but I generally like to lurk most of the sports threads

I am, weirdly, a fan of front offices before teams or players. Being in Houston helps, since I think Morey is easily one of the best GMs in the business. It also means I like PHI (Hinkie), and can't not respect SAS (Buford).

I feel like the jury's still out on Hinkie. But then I don't really pay attention to the 76ers. What's the inside scoop on them from a fan's perspective?

Hinkie's got balls, but yeah, remains to be seen if he can actually craft a decent team.

Embid is out again (potentially a bust) but Noel and Okafor could be a solid frontcourt tandem. MCW was traded away last year but then 76ers fans said he was overrated anyways. Judging from the web, sounds like Stauskas and Kendall Marshall will be the starting backcourt...Maybe he'll be better this year, but Stauskas looked like hot trash last year on the Kings.

zychi

Banned
He's played more than that lol. If there's an issue with Kobe playing ~22 minutes a night during preseason he should just retire.
He should just sit like Melo did all of last yeat. No reason to have him earn his contract or actually play in the reg season, when ya know the team is gonna suck

StMeph

I feel like the jury's still out on Hinkie. But then I don't really pay attention to the 76ers. What's the inside scoop on them from a fan's perspective?

The Hinkie connection comes from him being VP of basketball operations in HOU before being hired as PHI's GM. He's putting his own career and reputation on the line to tank to the extreme, which other tanking teams can only dream of doing. Not even pretend to try to win, just maximize the number of rolls at the top with each draft to try to get a true franchise/HoF-level player.

Morey did it the hard way because Alexander didn't want to endure losing seasons, but the general idea is that it's much easier to bottom out and get a top player from the top of the draft. The 2010 pools -- so far -- haven't been that amazing though. Once you do get that player, everything is easier. FAs want to come, you get some clarity with positions to know what roles to fill, etc., rather than just chasing blindly.

SAS has just always been incredible with being ahead of the league in exploiting value, especially with international scouting.

Jarate

Banned
Embid is out again (potentially a bust) but Noel and Okafor could be a solid frontcourt tandem. MCW was traded away last year but then 76ers fans said he was overrated anyways. Judging from the web, sounds like Stauskas and Kendall Marshall will be the starting backcourt...Maybe he'll be better this year, but Stauskas looked like hot trash last year on the Kings.

1. MCW could become a really fucking good point guard of he could learn to shoot. Due to his heavy use on a bad team, MCW shot never really improved, and I'd say that it might be because the shots he was forced to take were usually pretty inefficient shots.

MCW has all the necessary talents of being a really good PG, he passes well, he's tall for his position, and he is a really good guy apparently (although him and Nerlens apparently argued a few times). He just turned the ball over way too much (will be solved when he doesnt have to hero ball) and he also can't shoot.

Trading him for the Lakers pick has a good possibility of netting you a good pick in this years draft. It's top 3 protected, and the lakers should improve enought to probably be the 5-10th pick in tne draft.

2. Stauskas actually played not horribly in the second half of the season. If he hits threes like he did in the last half of the season he's gonna be useful with Okafor on the team.

Considering we got him and draft pick swapping rights basically for taking on salary is one of the biggest fleeces in NBA trade history. Kings look like a mess already, and they are most definately going to be a lottery team, and while the sixers dont seem to be good, even the kings being in the lottery nets you a higher chance at getting one of the top 3 picks in the draft.

Stauskas hasnt played with the team yet due to an ankle injury he suffered while playing well for team canada. If he can learn to ball handle like he did in college, he can be a damn good player, but most likely he's a 3 hitting machine.

3. Sixers fans are somewhat divided, most don't care and won't care until they are good, Philly is a football town and bandwagons their other sports pretty hard. The vocal majority is generally in favor of what Hinkie is doing, as the mediocrity of the sixers since 2001 has been absurdly dull. There's a strong vocal minority of older fans who generally see this as a disgrace, and don't trust Hinkie. Some like what Hinkie is doung but dont like Hinkies talent evaluation (which I think is a load of bs. Only draft miss so far has been Embiid. MCW, and Nerlens Noel were both absolute steals for the pick and the draft. Dario Saric is apparently playing incredibly well in Europe, and Jahlil has shown flashes of being at least a good player, but has also struggled mightily at times.)

I think most people should value what Hinkie has done. He took a team with no draft picks, The corpse of Andrew Bynums knee, and Jrue Holiday and turned that into a team that has at least 3-4 tradable players, and 4 first round draft picks in the 1st round in the NBA draft and a metric shit ton of salary cap space that they can use to possibly lure players.

AcridMeat

Banned
I used to be a fan of players along with the W's back in the 90's but I find it just too hard these days to pay attention to multiple teams.
Anthony Davis (and the Pelicans I guess) and the Bucks are who I'm curious in seeing this season apart from the Warriors. I want to see Davis blow records out of the water.

It's also fun to watch the newest season of Meet the Knickerbockers.

StMeph

a metric shit ton of salary cap space that they can use to possibly lure players.

The only knock against that is that nearly every team is going to have a ton of cap space this coming offseason due to the Players Union blocking any kind of staggered cap increase as a result of the giant new TV deal kicking in.

Cheebo

Banned
<-- Cleveland is the city that we come from so run run run

I need to adopt a West Coast team just because. Any recommendations?
Jumping on one of the major contenders isn't nearly as much as fun as picking an up and comer and rooting for them as they rise. Utah and New Orleans are fun examples. Especially they likely won't be true contenders up against this current Cleveland team.

Not gonna lie that is some
damn.png
tocry.png
stuff right there..

Fjordson

Good to see us smashing the Rockets, but Andrew Bogut has a broken nose...

We must be getting payback from the basketball gods for being healthy all of last year.

Edit: not seeing any Houston starters in the box score, so not quite as impressive lol.

overcast

We must be getting payback from the basketball gods for being healthy all of last year.

Edit: not seeing any Houston starters in the box score, so not quite as impressive lol.
Yeah, Mchale mentioned a lot of them were 50/50 but it's preseason.

Bogut's situation isn't payback from the basketball gods. It's just par for the course. Something always happens to him.

Fjordson

I noticed Patrick Beverly played last night. The guy who would have shut down Curry last year and propelled the Rockets into the finals if he had been healthy.

Could really see the difference with Golden State scoring 82 in the first half
sass1.png

And Curry was a ghost last night, scoring 19 of those 82 points on 6-7 shooting
sass2.png

Fjordson

Yeah, defense has been lackluster.

Maybe it's just post-title + pre-season malaise? Hopefully the D will go up a few notches once the season starts.

Top Bottom