• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

I think they can still sign and trade JR, which would make up for that Varejao money. Still, don't see them doing that though, probably gonna end up with Crawford.

demolitio

I think they can still sign and trade JR, which would make up for that Varejao money. Still, don't see them doing that though, probably gonna end up with Crawford.

Yea, I think they'll just settle for Crawford. I just can't see them doing that to Varejao since LeBron still adores him.

demolitio

I'm pretty sure the NBA closed that loop hole after the Cavs traded Z to the Wiz, and then later brought him back that season.

Maybe if it's done earlier?

Yea. As far as I know, that can't be done anymore but I'm not 100% sure. Someone said they'd have to sit out the rest of the season if that happened now.

demolitio

I don't think the Nets can receive a player in a S&T.

Neither can the Cavs. Hell, that's why Thompson is holding out knowing that they HAVE to pay him since they can't replace him at this point. I love him, but we're bound to overpay him and that was before this past season.

I feel bad for Moon mentioning he wants to return to the Cavs now.

demolitio

Who the heck is Moon.

Another player looking to return to the Cavs:
Craig Ehlo.

https://twitter.com/IAmJamarioMoon/status/618254148816007168

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamario_Moon

Now you know why I think it's sad. I liked him, but really? This isn't a reunion event out of charity. Mo gives us a better scorer off the bench and someone that can run the offense if Kyrie goes down so Delly isn't playing 40 minutes.

Oh, and I'm sure if Ehlo came back, the Spurs would sign Michael Jordan for a couple pennies just so they had the anti-Ehlo. The arms race must go on.

demolitio

Mo Williams just couldn't stay away from LeBron huh.

He begged not to be traded after LeBron left and still considers Cleveland home (his sister still lives in the region I believe) so it goes beyond LeBron even though I'm sure that's why he was willing to take a pay-cut since he gets a chance to contend now with LeBron there. :p

He even posted a while back about visiting his old house and how Cleveland is still his city, etc.

Mo Williams just couldn't stay away from LeBron huh.

Thundercats-Lion-O-and-Panthro-Costumes.jpg

After striking out on David West the Cavs have no reason not to go after Jamario Moon.

Well, the Spurs were after Mo Williams as well, so at least the Cavs got something they wanted. ;p

fertygo

Lol wow you went there lol

Funny thing is the Warriors, rockets, mavs, and spurs are going to beat up on each other so much that when the finals rolls around, the Lebrons may actually have a shot just based on lack of fatigue.

Mavs ain't shit, will fighting out 7th seed with the Jazz.

legend166

I still think people are underrating the Warriors next season. Who on that team gets worse next year?

Hopefully we get a Warriors vs Spurs WCF.

I still think people are underrating the Warriors next season. Who on that team gets worse next year?

Hopefully we get a Warriors vs Spurs WCF.
They will finish in the top 2 in the West if they stay healthy and could win it all again, but they might need the Spurs and/or Cavs to get hurt again.

legend166

They will finish in the top 2 in the West if they stay healthy and could win it all again, but they might need the Spurs and/or Cavs to get hurt again.

Yeah but what would YOU know?

sup ratcliff?

Seriously though, I think it's too simplistic to just look at things in a vacuum and say the Cavs would have won without the injuries. The Warriors were a historically great team all season.

I think what we saw was a young team who got swallowed up by the occasion in the first few games and then managed to pull out of it and get back to their best. There wasn't a single player on that team with even Conference Finals experience (I think). That won't be the case next season obviously.

Mo and delay should try doing that dbz fusion dance.. A mixture of them will turn out a good PG.

Edit: I think frank the tank will be good enough that he won't be on the list of scrubs mj drafted. Decent 3 and can put the ball down to the hole.. That against some flabby and slow bigs he be facing from time to time that's easy 6ppg every game lol.

Downplaying Warriors is really lame indeed, they had awesome team structure.

Saying the Cavs could have won if Love and Irving wasn't injured isn't downplaying the Warriors at all, they knew they were a great team. Would have been nice to see two healthy squads go at it though.

demolitio

There's zero chance they're getting Johnson. Brooklyn doesn't have a first round pick this year and the Cavs don't have a first round pick this year to offer.

I wouldn't say zero chance but now it's a lot less likely with West going to the Spurs and the Cavs most likely wanting to keep Varejao despite the horrible contract. It's meant to be a trade to help the Nets' salary situation, not improve them directly. :p

It's more about the Nets trying to avoid the repeater tax when they're not contenders and getting rid of Johnson would save them $40M in taxes alone whereas the Cavs are in win now mode and are willing to take the hit this year knowing Johnson will have a different contract next year along with a bigger cap. If Mikhail still wants to sell the Nets, a huge luxury tax issue isn't going to help at all and they're not going anywhere in the playoffs with Joe Johnson eating up the salary along with the 12 other players.

The Nets were the ones willing to pull the trigger if the "sources" are to be believed, but for the Cavs, it relied on picking up West and trading Varejao along with Haywood which is LeBron's favorite teammate so who knows how that would've went. But with West signing with the Spurs, I don't see them willingly giving up Varejao now which is why the rumors of a trade with the Clippers for Crawford doesn't include Andy.

https://twitter.com/WFNYJacob/status/618052222069436416

I think it was a smoke screen on cleveland's part all along. They were never serious about shipping Andy, and just wanted to prolong negotiations in hopes that David West would reconsider taking a huge pay cut and playing for a team that the Cavs would potentially face in the finals. David West will be a great fit in San Antonio and once they pick up one more solid big man that can comfortably play center, I feel they are the favorites. Cavs front court is fine. Two 7 footers that can shoot with one of them being a decent shot blocker. Then they have Love and Thompson that will eat up the boards. Cavs would've been a bit undersized with less flexibility if they shipped off Andy for West. Andy as your backup is a great thing to have and it will allow you to better control his minutes and prevent wear and tear. With MO Gatti on board, they just need a backup at the 2 spot and/or a SF/flex guard who can play the 2 and the 3 and they will be set.

I'm not gonna lie, even tho I poked a bit of fun at the Lakers and Knicks, at least they're signing free agents.

Not a peep out of my Hawks since free agency started. Yeah, sure, we have absolutely no cap space thanks to Millsap and the Splitter trade but can I at least get a glimmer of hope that the guys in the front office are at least looking at other possibilities like trading Mike "Mike Scott" Scott or something. Makes me sad man because we only have one-legged Thabo to play SF :(

Yeah but what would YOU know?

sup ratcliff?

Seriously though, I think it's too simplistic to just look at things in a vacuum and say the Cavs would have won without the injuries. The Warriors were a historically great team all season.

I think what we saw was a young team who got swallowed up by the occasion in the first few games and then managed to pull out of it and get back to their best. There wasn't a single player on that team with even Conference Finals experience (I think). That won't be the case next season obviously.
At least I'm not some Ozzie pretending to understand American sports.
Sup Andy.

And yeah nerves would be less of an issue for the Warriors next year, but the same could be said for the Cavs too. Most of that team had never even been to the playoffs much less the finals.

stop that.

?

Doc needs a bench. We have bench players we want to part with. We need someone that can help us during the 20-30 games wade takes off so that his knees don't turn to powder. It's a win win for both teams.

Only other team interested in him seems to be the cavs and unless they can convince someone to take that haywood contract it aint happening.

?

Doc needs a bench. We have bench players we want to part with. We need someone that can help us during the 20-30 games wade takes off so that his knees don't turn to powder. It's a win win for both teams.

Only other team interested in him seems to be the cavs and unless they can convince someone to take that haywood contract it aint happening.
The Clippers need a starting center more than anything.

Downplaying Warriors is really lame indeed, they had awesome team structure.

I'm not sure anybody is seriously downplaying the Warriors. I think the West will be just as competitive as it was this year. While I see teams like Portland and LAC taking steps back, I think Phoenix, Minnesota and New Orleans will make things interesting for the bottom seeds. As happy as I am about the Spurs signings this summer, they still have to play a full season. Anything can happen.

Gigglepoo

Yeah, i pointed that out in my post.

hopefully they don't get him because lol cavs. they're stuck trying to make moves while TT and Bron Bron hold them hostage. Good luck with that.

Thompson isn't holding them hostage. He's negotiating with the Cavs but the two sides can't agree on an amount.

LeBron, however, is being a passive-aggressive prima dona again. I can't of another athlete who has repeatedly pulled this non-negotiating plow. He wants stuff done but doesn't want the stigma that goes along with demanding changes.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Thompson isn't holding them hostage. He's negotiating with the Cavs but the two sides can't agree on an amount.

LeBron, however, is being a passive-aggressive prima dona again. I can't of another athlete who has repeatedly pulled this non-negotiating plow. He wants stuff done but doesn't want the stigma that goes along with demanding changes.

This really gets to why I don't like him. It's the off the court nonsense he does. Seems so babyish and immature.

Fjordson

Lebron's been like that for years. Didn't he tell a Nike rep to jack some video tape someone recorded of him getting dunked on at a Nike camp?

cyborg009

Banned
I wasn't playing attention much this offseason but Tristan Thompson wants 80million? I personally feel like that's way too much.

I'm surprised Josh Smith hasn't gotten more attention by teams. He seemed to play pretty well next to Howard...I remember him abusing the Mavs in the playoffs. He can stretch the floor, rebound, pass pretty well...yet no one seems interested? I know he can be a bit of a headache, but I'm sure some teams should be desperate enough at this point to at least give it a try.

I wasn't playing attention much this offseason but Tristan Thompson wants 80million? I personally feel like that's way too much.

Because it IS way too much. I'd rather the Cavs let him walk than let him consume that much of the salary cap while only being useful on one side of the floor. We can do better for that kinda money.

Top Bottom