• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

Fjordson

10518060_464932773671110_988342253_n.jpg

"You got 'em Chris. Fuck a Mark Cuban."

There's been instances of other players backing out of verbal agreements, but nowhere near of a FA this big. If a reversal happens I would expect some changes on the moratorium and FA signings.

zychi

Banned
You think when Chris got up to the bathroom the other guys talked about it?

All 3 of them have done it before.

You guys are weird on your criticism of players.

There's been instances of other players backing out of verbal agreements, but nowhere near of a FA this big. If a reversal happens I would expect some changes on the moratorium and FA signings.

Why? They can't sign until the official date, and if a player changes his mind, that's his choice

to me its just pathetic to agree to sign completely and then turn around and say hahahaha fuck you!

It's like watching a team clear room for you, after you agreed to sign, only to you say "you're shit out of luck, I never signed the papers." It could really ruin certain team completely.

it should be a written rule to be honest.

Carlos Boozer essentially did that to my Cavs many moons ago. And his career has been shit ever since. Someone put some voodoo on his bitchass.

"ESPN sources say Mavericks owner Mark Cuban arrived in Houston earlier today as Dallas tries to fend off the Clippers' 11th hour push" - Marc Stein

I want this to get crazy.

Carlos Boozer essentially did that to my Cavs many moons ago.

Cleveland tried to do an illegal run around the CBA with Boozer. He was under no obligation to sign, and further, they were trying to lowball him like crazy. The difference between what Cleveland and Utah would pay was insane.

And Boozer went on to multiple All Star appearances and an Olympic gold metal after leaving town, so his career was just fine.

If I'm DeAndre I ask for the full max, a no trade clause and I get to be captain.

"The Clippers are now "hopeful" that DeAndre will return, I'm told." - @RamonaShelburne

Cleveland tried to do an illegal run around the CBA with Boozer. He was under no obligation to sign, and further, they were trying to lowball him like crazy. The difference between what Cleveland and Utah would pay was insane.

And Boozer went on to multiple All Star appearances and an Olympic gold metal after leaving town, so his career was just fine.

Let me remember it how I fuckin want to. Fuck a Boozer.

Fjordson

Why? They can't sign until the official date, and if a player changes his mind, that's his choice
Because Mavs have their money tied up in DJ and basically stopped trying to making moves in free agency once DJ agreed to the deal. To go back on that fucks over the Mavs hard.

Obviously he is allowed to do it, but it's an unwritten rule for good reason. Wouldn't be surprised at all if there is discussion of changes to the system if this goes down.

h1nch

DeAndre should demand that all tablets used and issued by Clippers staff are iPads and NOT MS Surface tablets.

I want to see where Ballmer draws the line.

Because it opens the doors for teams to fuck with each other to make competition easier and to screw other franchises over.

If I had a rival team that wanted "X" player that's on my roster who is going to be UFA, I could have him gut his roster to make room only to have it planned all along for him to back out of the agreement. Doing so would leave the other team basically gimped.

If a player changes his mind that's fine, but there won't be any of this verbal agreement bs in the future.

"Who's in the limo? That's... That's Mark Cuban! Is that... it's Hollywood Hogan! And Kevin Nash! Mark Cuban is riding with the nWo!"

"What are we going to do now, Tony?"

Mark Cuban is actually a lot like Bischoff now that I think about it. Does that make Doc Larry Zbyszko?

Edit: Yeah I understand the rules for free agents not being able to sign immediately, but the pressure is so high to make a decision ASAP that it might as well not exist, especially if people are going to get pissed when somebody actually exercises their rights.

zychi

Banned
Because Mavs have their money tied up in DJ and basically stopped trying to making moves in free agency once DJ agreed to the deal. To go back on that fucks over the Mavs hard.

Obviously he is allowed to do it, but it's an unwritten rule for good reason. Wouldn't be surprised at all if there is discussion of changes to the system if this goes down.

Maybe make a rule that you can't negotiate terms before the signing date comes?

Boom. Fixed.

Because it opens the doors for teams to fuck with each other to make competition easier and to screw other franchises over.

If I had a rival team that wanted "X" player that's on my roster who is going to be UFA, I could have him gut his roster to make room only to have it planned all along for him to back out of the agreement. Doing so would leave the other team basically gimped.

If a player changes his mind that's fine, but there won't be any of this verbal agreement bs in the future.

Trade for him and get him to sign an extension before he's a free agent.

Not on the players. This is all on the owners. I want DJ to go to the Mavs too. But this is the system the owners have in place.

e: Lebron, Wade and Bosh did that. Lebron basically left MIA gutted last Offseason, and he did it to Cle a few years back.

Fjordson

Boom. Fixed.
Yeah, I can see some sort of change to the moratorium in the future. Teams could really cripple rival teams in theory with this sorta stuff. Have big name free agent agree to deal with team B that occupies a massive amount of cap space so that team B can't make any other moves. Then at the 11th Hour, double back and sign with team A, leaving team B out to dry.

Not on the players. This is all on the owners. I want DJ to go to the Mavs too. But this is the system the owners have in place.

e: Lebron, Wade and Bosh did that. Lebron basically left MIA gutted last Offseason, and he did it to Cle a few years back.

Different situation. LeBron left as a free agent. He never agreed to resign with CLE in 2011 and then change his mind. He never agreed to resign with Miami last offseason and then change his mind. What the poster you quoted is saying is that teams make arrangements on their roster based on these verbal agreements. For example, Phoenix had a couple of trades lined up that they were going to make contingent on LMA agreeing to sign with them. Had he done so, they would have made those trades to free up space and cap room. If LMA then turned around and changed his mind, PHX would be stuck with those trades.

It's shitty but I agree in that the owners are the ones that need to push to reform the moratorium rules. It's dumb that you can agree to sign with a team and then have to wait a week to actually sign. It's begging for something like this to eventually happen.

Boom. Fixed.

Yeah, saw on twitter that SVG even said "I don't know why we have a moratorium, period" lol

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 2m2 minutes ago Sources: Clips responded to Jordan expressing doubt on decision. Griffin, Redick may be in Houston w/ Doc today. Dallas fortifying response.

Chandler Parsons ‏@ChandlerParsons 2m2 minutes ago
✈️

Chandler is coming DJ!

zychi

Banned
Different situation. LeBron left as a free agent. He never agreed to resign with CLE in 2011 and then change his mind. He never agreed to resign with Miami last offseason and then change his mind. What the poster you quoted is saying is that teams make arrangements on their roster based on these verbal agreements. For example, Phoenix had a couple of trades lined up that they were going to make contingent on LMA agreeing to sign with them. Had he done so, they would have made those trades to free up space and cap room. If LMA then turned around and changed his mind, PHX would be stuck with those trades.

It's shitty but I agree in that the owners are the ones that need to push to reform the moratorium rules. It's dumb that you can agree to sign with a team and then have to wait a week to actually sign. It's begging for something like this to eventually happen.
You can do this with job offers out of college too. If there's no signature, there's no agreement. If the owners weren't trying to undercut the other owners for players, this wouldn't be an issue. DJ has free reign to choose what he wants and where he wants until he actually signs the paper. He's not making Cuban trade assets to fit him on the team. If Cuban wants him that badly, he could have traded for him before the deadline and had him sign an extension.

dream

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 2m2 minutes ago Sources: Clips responded to Jordan expressing doubt on decision. Griffin, Redick may be in Houston w/ Doc today. Dallas fortifying response.

Chandler Parsons ‏@ChandlerParsons 2m2 minutes ago
✈️

Chandler is coming DJ!

Blake just sent out a tweet from "Hawaii" though, but we all know it's a swerve.

I want like 5 teams to show up in an alley and fight over Jordan contract like that Anchorman scene.

Would the Lakers be the Spanish station and the Rockets be public access?

Edit: It would be hilarious if Blake had to book a plane from Hawaii to Houston right after settling down.

Fjordson

Lebron, Wade and Bosh did that. Lebron basically left MIA gutted last Offseason, and he did it to Cle a few years back.
That's not the same. Lebron never had an agreement in place taking up theoretical cap space.

I agree it's a dumb rule, though. No reason to have this long delay between agreements and signings.

1) Great coach
2) Great owner
3) No income tax

The Clippers with DJ would be better than the Mavs with DJ this season. But how about after that? As Paul breaks down and Doc ruins the team, would you rather hitch your wagon to a proven winner or a proven loser?

nah.. Staying with the Clips is just better for him. Lets not forget Mavs FO also did some questionable things in the past too.. Can't say Cp3 is breaking down yet. He was bugged with injury but its not on Wade/kobe trend yet. and Dirk has many years left? while Blake who he plays well with is going to be around for a while. Don''t even know is Mavs has a starting PG.

zychi

Banned
If Cubes can't even convince DeAndre to take less money to play for Dallas why does anyone think he can convince Durant to do the same.

I think KD and Bron are gonna team up after next year. Dunno where, but you give them a decent big man, and you have a dynasty if they're healthy.

Ronin Ray

I want to see Jordan on TV in a clippers shirt. Then he rips it off to reveal a Dallas shirt and cut to Mark Cuban losing his shit, but wait cut back to Jordan who rips off the Dallas shirt to reveal another clipper shirt. O MY GOD DOUBLE SWERVE.

I think KD and Bron are gonna team up after next year. Dunno where, but you give them a decent big man, and you have a dynasty if they're healthy.

Bron's not leaving Cleveland and Cleveland doesn't have any way to sign KD (not that he'd sign there even if they did)

I want to see Jordan on TV in a clippers shirt. Then he rips it off to reveal a Dallas shirt and cut to Mark Cuban losing his mind, but wait cut back to Jordan who rips off the Dallas shirt to reveal another clipper shirt.

And then he takes off that shirt, revealing just a plain shirt. "The only thing for sure about DeAndre... is nothing's for sure." Tony Schiavone is stunned and speechless.

Top Bottom