• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playoffs |OT| AKA Derrick Rose's family time

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcridMeat

Banned
This shot by Barnes was key to tie it up in regulation. I slander Harry B a lot, but this was clutch: https://twitter.com/halfcourthoops/status/729911550941777920

Hammer set with the shot going to the screener. Fucking poetry from Kerr and Steph.
Yeah that play was fucking nice. Someone should send it to Dwane Casey.
Every goddamn basketball player who's ever played the game at any level is a rhythm player. Basketball at its core is a game of tempo, pace and rhythm.
That's what I've been thinking in my head every single time he's said it.

Misterhbk

I've been to a lot of basketball games by this was by far the best one. Steph is just so incredible to watch. TNT cameras caught be after I started up that MVP chant when Steph closed it out lol. So much fun.
8ahMBtI.png

Maybe he got jealous of Jack The Nipper's tag and is trying for one of his own.
Wouldn't say it's a positive tag

Gonna own that mod one day. After more than two years without touching a ball, I'm gonna record a first attempt half court shot without any practice shots at all. Can't wait to get nothing but net. Gonna name it curry killer

I can only imagine the atmosphere being there live. Curry completely took the air out of the crowd. I mean prior to that, Portland fans were out in full effect (you could totally feel the noise even on TV)...

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Lost in all this - don't overlook how unbelievable Dray was on many, many levels. My thoughts are that, while all the hype goes to the Thunder, the dubs have the best combination of two players in the league. Not sure it is even really close and doesn't even take Thompson into account (which is insane).

Fjordson

I've been to a lot of basketball games by this was by far the best one. Steph is just so incredible to watch. TNT cameras caught be after I started up that MVP chant when Steph closed it out lol. So much fun.
8ahMBtI.png
That was you?? Legendary breh.

Lost in all this - don't overlook how unbelievable Dray was on many, many levels. My thoughts are that, while all the hype goes to the Thunder, the dubs have the best combination of two players in the league. Not sure it is even really close and doesn't even take Thompson into account (which is insane).
You ain't lying. Draymond had 7 blocks tonight. And he's starting to score more, in addition to all the rebounding and usual hustle stuff. He's been a demon in the playoffs.

His defense was so insane (block on Lillard, block on Plumlee...etc..).. I feel like people underrate Draymond's athleticism. There's something to be said about how strong his core is. Guys way taller than him can't budge him in the post and then he's good enough to both anchor your defense as a rim protector and check the opposing 1. Couple that with his super high bball IQ. The crazy thing is that people knock him for not being a scorer but he finds a way to get points when the team needs it despite not really having a reliable shot. With Curry out, Dray stepped up and scored more buckets in a way we all wish Harrison Barnes would.

Draymond may not be a superstar...but he's certainly a winner...

Ethan Sherwood Strauss
Me: "You predicted a win.." Draymond: "I didn't predict that. I told you we were going to win." Me: "Are you worried about giving other teams bulletin board material?" Draymond: "I wanted to give them bulletin board material."

I thought Portland defense in the 2nd half was shit. Sagging off of Klay & Curry is beyond moronic, even more when they occupied the corners. They stopped contesting shots against a team with superior shot making ability. Credit to the dubs for making them pay though.

That ejection was the best thing that happened to the Warriors.

What's funny is right when it happend, I said "Livingston just sacrificed himself to give Curry that play time... it was the only way to keep him on the court outside of Livingston getting injured, and no one wants that"

Damn, that thompson three in the 3rd quarter, the net didn't even move

Fuck, I pointed out the same thing. I wasn't sure it even went in till they were taking out the ball and the score changed.

Amazing game by the Warriors, and I knew they were scared when they were holding Curry so he couldn't get that post whistle shot off, especially since he had just made that 3 right after Bogot got called for the bogus offensive foul.

I hope that ref gets demoted from the playoffs. His calls and non-calls were absolutely terrible. If I didn't know any better, I would think he was not so subtly trying to sway the game towards the home team.
That's when I knew that if the Warriors where gonna win, they were gonna have to do it decidedly. So glad Curry recognized that to and unleashed the Super Saiyan mode to bring the victory back to The Bay.

edit: and can someone do me a favor and gif that clip of Varejao mopping Blazer tears off the court using Clark as the mop? that shit was too funny.

rambis

Banned
They are great but idk about this. WB can fill up a stat sheet just as much as Green, even more going by his triple doubles. And the KD that showed up in the last thunder game is the most unstoppable force we've seen in a while. I mean he outscored the spurs for an entire 4th quarter.

Its alot closer than you are letting on and I would give the edge to OKC. Amazing finish in Portland though.

Cheebo

Banned
Remember when we worried Steph wouldn't be 100%? lol.

Cleveland probably can go 12-0 into the finals and still be fucked.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Yo, I was tired and went to sleep before the game started. Didn't even know Steph was playing.

Woke up, read the news.

League fucked.

Yo, I was tired and went to sleep before the game started. Didn't even know Steph was playing.

Woke up, read the news.

League fucked.

Gotta watch the video clips. The Warriors were in the game but struggling against the pressure and threes Rip City was putting up. Then OT hit and Curry basically murdered the crowd. You could see a couple of the Blazers just shouting in frustration because Curry didn't get enough coverage 5 feet behind the line. Legitimately started to feel worse about Curry taking shots inside the arc.

phanphare

Banned
8ahMBtI.png

this is epic

well done sir

I've always wanted to sit that close to be able to hear the chatter on the court

8ahMBtI.png
Nice I was in that area years ago when Toronto and Vince Carter came to play the Blazers.

This was before the moda center lol

offtopic

They are great but idk about this. WB can fill up a stat sheet just as much as Green, even more going by his triple doubles. And the KD that showed up in the last thunder game is the most unstoppable force we've seen in a while. I mean he outscored the spurs for an entire 4th quarter.

Its alot closer than you are letting on and I would give the edge to OKC. Amazing finish in Portland though.

What? Curry has been doing that all year long even while defenses have completely sold their souls to stop him.

Dray isn't the scorer westbrook is but he is so incredibly smart and athletic. People have a hard time seeing him as athletic but he is really explosive (watch him accelerate with the ball and you won't believe your eyes), strong and his tremendous hands. The defense he is playing is just unreal...even with 5 fouls he was challenging everyone with incredible intensity and physicality.

rambis

Banned
What? Curry has been doing that all year long even while defenses have completely sold their souls to stop him.

Dray isn't the scorer westbrook is but he is so incredibly smart and athletic. People have a hard time seeing him as athletic but he is really explosive (watch him accelerate with the ball and you won't believe your eyes), strong and his tremendous hands. The defense he is playing is just unreal...even with 5 fouls he was challenging everyone with incredible intensity and physicality.
No he hasnt, curry has hardly even played extended minutes in the 4th this season. And not every team is the Spurs with the DPOY on defense. Nobody sells their soul to stop Curry when you have all those weapons spotting up. Meanwhile Durant and WB are carring middling to scrub players to deep series against the Spurs.

The two situations are not really remotely comparable. KD/WB have to do far more to compete than any other tandem in the league and its not close.

offtopic

No he hasnt, curry has hardly even played extended minutes in the 4th this season. And not every team is the Spurs with the DPOY on defense. Nobody sells their soul to stop Curry when you have all those weapons spotting up. Meanwhile Durant and WB are carring middling to scrub players to deep series against the Spurs.

The two situations are not really remotely comparable. KD/WB have to do far more to compete than any other tandem in the league and its not close.

You must be watching different games than I do (and I watch almost every dubs game). The Green-Curry pick-and-roll has basically destabilized the floor as both defenders are forced to jump Curry resulting on 4 on 3s. Curry frequently gets doubled right as he crosses midcourt just to get the ball out of his hands. He can be standing 30' away from the basket without the ball and will have a defender in his shirt who won't help on anyone else no matter what. When the Warriors put shots up, defenders don't leave him to rebound or leak out on to the offensive end...they guard him carefully all the way until the ball is secured.

Yes, teams are selling their souls and compromising their defense just because he is somewhere on the floor.

rambis

Banned
GSW has the benefit of great screen setters, great passers and spot up shooters to defer to. The best in the league. Curry can get his one v one but most of the teams he is running defenders around multiple sets of single and double screens to get that one sliver of daylight he needs. He's not doing this solo at all.

Compare to OKC where KD/WB have not only mediocre team mates but mediocre play calling and have to produce in pure ISO. The level of difficulty is not even comparable. The level of teams they are playing right now are not comparable. Yet here we are tied with the Spurs. Again KD/WB have to do far more by their selves and its not comparable at all.

Curry's game is rhythm and if you bump him low he gets flummoxed. He'll still hurt with some floaters but finding ways to throw off his feet is absolutely his kryponite. Make him a distributor and you're playing the Portland Trailblazers.

In OT, he got space on Portland and then started hitting because they were tired. His threes were arm checks switches. Below the hips and you'll make Curry miss.

Why do people like this still exist? You think guys like Lebron James, Gregg Popovich, and the like are just fucking stupid and you figured if out?

I mean damn.

Servbot24

Banned

Not sure how much GSW you have watched, but Curry routinely faces double teams at 30 feet.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Huh? Have you seen how many 4v3s the Warriors get? Have you seen how much Curry gets doubled every single time off of a screen? Have you seen how he gets manned up one step beyond half court because coaches don't want him to see any light of day?

I think that KD and WB are the best duo in a vacuum, especially from a talent perspective. But on a team of 5 versus a team of 5, I think Steph and Dray are the best duo.

Also, I know tons of teams that would love to have Steven Adams, Kanter, Ibaka, and even Waiters (despite his inconsistencies)...

Remember when we worried Steph wouldn't be 100%? lol.

Cleveland probably can go 12-0 into the finals and still be fucked.

That's my fear as a Cavs fan, confirmed by the game last night. Here we assembled the best team in team history and are healthy and playing well, but it feels like being a sacrificial lamb if we have to face the Warriors in the Finals, much like so many AFC teams in the Superbowl during the 80's or any team that had to face the Jordan Bulls in the Finals.

I mean, a lot can happen, including injuries, or maybe we can somehow hit 25 3's in every Finals game, but I definitely don't feel good about it. Well, at least we have a good chance of beating up the Heat or Raptors. That can be our championship.

rambis

Banned
Not sure how much GSW you have watched, but Curry routinely faces double teams at 30 feet.

Huh? Have you seen how many 4v3s the Warriors get? Have you seen how much Curry gets doubled every single time off of a screen? Have you seen how he gets manned up one step beyond half court because coaches don't want him to see any light of day?

I think that KD and WB are the best duo in a vacuum, especially from a talent perspective. But on a team of 5 versus a team of 5, I think Steph and Dray are the best duo.

Also, I know tons of teams that would love to have Steven Adams, Kanter, Ibaka, and even Waiters (despite his inconsistencies)...

I've expanded in my latter post. He runs around 3 and 4 sets of screens and shakes free because of that. Those doubles are mostly nulled because he has great team mates.

rambis

Banned
must be LeBron fans ;p

I think Curry is more marketable , hes not a fucking giant so the average Joe can relate to him.

LeBron SHOOK too cause hes younger
If you're referring to me, no im not a LeBron fan. I follow the game. I enjoyed last night's performance just as much as anybody else barring theyre not a GSW fan. Its just the hyperbole I can't stand.

offtopic

I've expanded in my latter post. He runs around 3 and 4 sets of screens and shakes free because of that. Those doubles are mostly nulled because he has great team mates.

That is what people who watch all his games are trying to tell you - the doubles are not nulled at all because of his teammates. He gets double teamed at almost every opportunity the opposition has to double him. It is COMICAL at times - with a few seconds left on the clock on some inbounds play you'll see like 3 defenders simultaneously flying towards him before the ball is even inbounded leaving another cutter open for a lay-up (the Warriors score so many points on this it amazes me). Curry is warping the chessboard that is the NBA court.

He has certainly surpassed Durant as a scorer...and I think Durant is easily the most dangerous offensive player I've seen the past 8 years (other than Curry now). Westbrook suffers from not being very smart, chasing numbers and making really poor decisions in the 4th quarter. He isn't in Durant or Curry's class even remotely.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
That is what people who watch all his games are trying to tell you - the doubles are not nulled at all because of his teammates. He gets double teamed at almost every opportunity the opposition has to double him. It is COMICAL at times

CfAZFpvUEAAQeZX.jpg

rambis

Banned
I do watch all of GSW games. This do you watch them shit is stupid. If you want I could post Currys individual scoring videos that show every FG and we can count just how many screens he routinely runs around to shake free and score from the doubles. Idk why curry fans like to diminish hiw good his teammates are at assisting him to make it seem like he's doing more than what he's doing.

Servbot24

Banned
That is what people who watch all his games are trying to tell you - the doubles are not nulled at all because of his teammates. He gets double teamed at almost every opportunity the opposition has to double him. It is COMICAL at times - with a few seconds left on the clock on some inbounds play you'll see like 3 defenders simultaneously flying towards him before the ball is even inbounded leaving another cutter open for a lay-up (the Warriors score so many points on this it amazes me). Curry is warping the chessboard that is the NBA court.

He has certainly surpassed Durant as a scorer...and I think Durant is easily the most dangerous offensive player I've seen the past 8 years (other than Curry now). Westbrook suffers from not being very smart, chasing numbers and making really poor decisions in the 4th quarter. He isn't in Durant or Curry's class even remotely.

I think you gotta put James up there with Curry and Durant. James is more cerebral to his own detriment, but when he puts his head down you can't really stop him.

Nobody sells their soul to stop Curry when you have all those weapons spotting up.

Just because the Warriors are able to exploit mismatches better with team scheme and personnel doesn't mean that teams don't warp their defense/ sell out to contain Curry first and foremost. The Draymond pick 4 v 3 set was born out of teams doubling Curry as soon as he stepped past half court. Curry's gravity allows for mismatches all around the court. Just watch him run through screens on the baseline, there's always one guy shading him, and another help defender(s) to actively deny the pass. Devoting 2-3 defenders to prevent a guy from even receiving the ball for a perimeter shot is selling your defense to one player.

rambis

Banned
I'm not about to keep revisiting the same points over and over because a new curry fan wants to bring up the "4 vs 3" shit. Sorry.

I'm not about to keep revisiting the same points over and over because a new curry fan wants to bring up the "4 vs 3" shit. Sorry.

Keep doubling down despite evidence pointing otherwise. We forgive you.

I do watch all of GSW games. This do you watch them shit is stupid. If you want I could post Currys individual scoring videos that show every FG and we can count just how many screens he routinely runs around to shake free and score from the doubles. Idk why curry fans like to diminish hiw good his teammates are at assisting him to make it seem like he's doing more than what he's doing.

Of course he has to run through all those screens when the whole defense is chasing him. And Curry's individual brilliance doesn't take away from the rest of the team's. It's not an either or proposition. Defenses are geared to stop Curry by all means necessary and the rest of the team is talented and skilled enough to exploit this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom