• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playoffs |OT| AKA Derrick Rose's family time

Status
Not open for further replies.

random25

and he sat out the entire 4th. Dude hasn't dipped into any of his energy reserves this playoffs.

Bodes well for going forward.

Glad the help he needed is healthy this time. Takes so much load off of him.

If they pull out all the stops they might keep it within 20!

Thank god the Thunder have stepped up their game, at least we have one competitive conference finals.

The Raptors at least need to force LeBron to shoot jumpers. His shot chart in this game is a joke to their defense, or lack thereof.

I'm also glad that the Thunder are putting up a good fight to make that series more interesting.

Missed the game, but how did the Raptors do on LeBron? Did they try to play him straight up with Carroll for the most part? It seems that unless teams have a guy that can check LeBron somewhat without help, the Cavs are a much, much better team.

Marz

The Raptors remind me of Utah against the Spurs in the WCF in 2007.

Just completely outmatched and no business of even being there.

Lightning

Banned
The Raptors have to double team LeBron and Lowry has to guard Kyrie a lot better. It's games like this as to why I don't like Lowry because he was shit today, 4 from 14 with 0 from 7 form 3pt range while like the rest of his team not defending very well.

The Cavs shot very well but that defending was stupid. There's no point in blocking the 3pt shot if you allow the Cavs to dominate the paint the way they did. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, that was literally a training session.

Chris Haynes ‏@ChrisBHaynes 29m29 minutes ago
DeMarre Carroll says #Cavs looked like a team that has been off for nine days and said they looked like a team that just came off a series.
lol

Missed the game, but how did the Raptors do on LeBron? Did they try to play him straight up with Carroll for the most part? It seems that unless teams have a guy that can check LeBron somewhat without help, the Cavs are a much, much better team.

I lasted until midway in the 3rd and to that point the Raptors tried leaving Carroll straight on Lebron. Which didn't work at all. More than anything, the Cavs owned the paint, it seemed whenever they drove to the basket the Raptors defense would vanish. It's hard to take any lessons from this game or try to get a read on the Cavaliers, because it was one of the worst defensive efforts I ever witnessed on a playoff team.

Cavs defense was also a bit lackadaisical and the Raptors also looked like absolute ass early on against the Heat, so maybe it won't be a sweep. That's a big maybe, this shit looks done already.

sytadel

Maybe when Curry and Durant come East next year, the Conference won't completely suck ass.

Lebron will just go West, of course, since he's soft.
Tell us more nostradamus. Durant ain't going anywhere, he'll sign a one year contract and then cash in on the TV money the following year with a max at OKC. Curry/LeBron leaving lol

Lightning

Banned
These LeBron and east comments really come across as sour grapes. LeBron's greatness is undoubted, the west teams are stronger obviously, although not so much this playoffs but I don't see reason to belittle LeBron's accomplishments due to that.

LeBron rejoining the cavs was the great challenge. When he left the cavs went to shit, when he doesn't play they lose 80+% of the time, he returns and they go straight to the nba finals and beating Golden State twice before ultimately succumbing to a superior team who didn't have the injuries.

I'm not sure if he left Miami to join the Spurs or Thunder or Clippers that's any greater challenge just because they are in the western conference than joining the Cavs given the state of the cavs at the time of joining them. To satisfy some in here it's like he had to join Utah or something to validate himself.

These LeBron and east comments really come across as sour grapes. LeBron's greatness is undoubted, the west teams are stronger obviously, although not so much this playoffs but I don't see reason to belittle LeBron's accomplishments due to that.

LeBron rejoining the cavs was the great challenge. When he left the cavs went to shit, when he doesn't play they lose 80+% of the time, he returns and they go straight to the nba finals and beating Golden State twice before ultimately succumbing to a superior team who didn't have the injuries.

I'm not sure if he left Miami to join the Spurs or Thunder or Clippers that's any greater challenge just because they are in the western conference than joining the Cavs given the state of the cavs at the time of joining them. To satisfy some in here it's like he had to join Utah or something to validate himself.

Let's not act like the Cavs team he rejoined was bottom 5. They had a ton of good assets to build around when he rejoined. He obviously elevated them to a ridiculous level but that was a borderline .500 team with Wiggins joining (assuming Love doesn't agree to the trade without Lebron) them.

How bad are ma bulls that they didnt even got to the playoffs in this joke of a conference?

Cavs are a great team and Lebron is still the most dominant force of the league...doesnt change that the East is complete garbage and some of his playoff runs are competitive irrelevant.

The East did not get better this year as it was so many times mentioned, its the West that got a lot worst.

Lightning

Banned
How bad are ma bulls that they didnt even got to the playoffs in this joke of a conference?

Cavs are a great team and Lebron is still the most dominant force of the league...doesnt change that the East is complete garbage and some of his playoff runs are competitive irrelevant.

The East did not get better this year as it was so many times mentioned, its the West that got a lot worst.
I'm not defending the eastern conference teams. I'm just saying that it doesn't take away from LeBron's accomplishments in destroying them year after year. That is to be respected, what the Cavs are putting on display should be respected and not be simply dismissed as 'oh it's just the pathetic east' and call it a day.

I'm simply not convinced that aside from the big 3 anyone else can take the Cavaliers no matter conference their in. And even the big 3 'Spurs, Thunder and Warriors' there's no guarantee that the would beat the Cavs, it would be a great battle. For the other western conference teams it would be competitive as they wouldn't get swept like the Hawks/Pistons did but chances are Cavs still prevail. They're playing really well.

rambis

Banned

The East has gotten better and the West has gotten worse. Pacers, Celtics, Hornets, Detroit and Toronto were all bottom tier teams that have gotten better. In the West the Clippers, Rockets, Grizzlies and Mavs have gotten worse. Whether it's because of injuries or whatever,the conferences are alot more even and the numbers show this.

Pacers were bad because of an injury.
Bulls got a whole lot worse.
Wizards stopped playing basketball
Nets became a joke.

Cant' really see how it got much better. Not that Celtics, Hornets, Detroit and Toronto didnt improve , but they are just marginally better. They won more games cause other teams from the east sucked and the west has a lot of mediocre teams. It kinda evens out.

rambis

Banned
Pacers were bad because of an injury.
Bulls got a whole lot worse.
Wizards stopped playing basketball
Nets became a joke.

Cant' really see how it got much better. Not that Celtics, Hornets, Detroit and Toronto didnt got better, but they are just marginally better. They won a lot more games cause other teams from the east sucked and the west has a lot of mediocre teams. It kinda evens out.
Have you maybe looked at the records or the head to head stats? For the first time in Idk how many years the lowest East seed has a better record than the Wests. Hell Detroit would be a 5th seed in the West this year. I mean, the proof is in the pudding...

J2 Cool

Imagine a non-conference seeded playoffs. We could be watching a Spurs/Warriors, Cavs/Thunder on alternating nights. Instead it feels like going from some of the best basketball ever to preseason.

phanphare

Banned
Imagine a non-conference seeded playoffs. We could be watching a Spurs/Warriors, Cavs/Thunder on alternating nights. Instead it feels like going from some of the best basketball ever to preseason.

I think it'd be warriors/okc and spurs/cavs

either way adam silver needs to fix the playoffs this next season

If you look at the bottom 4 spots on each side, the East made some gains this year. The West is still much better from 1 to 4, though. Toronto wouldn't have had a prayer of making it out of the second round in the West. Even Cleveland may well not have.

Cheebo

Banned
I think it'd be warriors/okc and spurs/cavs

either way adam silver needs to fix the playoffs this next season

There is absolutely no chance they combine East/West seeding anytime soon. Unlike stuff like the Hack-A rule there is no real push from anywhere outside a handful of fans.

phanphare

Banned
There is absolutely no chance they combine East/West seeding anytime soon. Unlike stuff like the Hack-A rule there is no real push from anywhere outside a handful of fans.

I doubt they do it anytime soon but it needs to be done imo. the playoffs would be better for it.

Can you wear the other team out through overshooting... this is another option the Raps have.

ha.

I'm still trying to decide how TOR makes game 2 more competitive. We know their back court is erratic, but if we give Lowry 25 on his usual ~40% shooting, they still lose by 15+. DeRozan had a good game by all accounts, as did some of the roleplayers. On the other side, Love and JR smith will probably not have a second super-quiet game.

They really need JV. Like, whew.

nillah

Banned
Cavs game 1 ass whop'n will be remembered decades from now.

Looking forward to this Western Conference game tonight. OKC playing some truly beautiful basketball now.

Come to me, Ben Simmons.

Save it for the off-season thread there buddy lol

Think Simmons would mesh better with 76ers and duke guy in LA. Crazy to think an eastern conference team in Toronto has a top ten lottery pick. Good for them.

Have you maybe looked at the records or the head to head stats? For the first time in Idk how many years the lowest East seed has a better record than the Wests. Hell Detroit would be a 5th seed in the West this year. I mean, the proof is in the pudding...

That's just a consequence of the west decline. If they got so much worse, it's only natural the east teams win games against them. That doesnt make east better. That just makes the west much worse. As the playoffs are clearly showing.

That will be the greatest thing for playoff promotion. They need to do it as quickly as possible.

When was the last time the Eastern Conference overall was better than the Western Conference (not just 1-2 East teams at the top)? I honestly am having a hard time remembering at this point...maybe as late as the mid 90's?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
When was the last time the Eastern Conference overall was better than the Western Conference (not just 1-2 East teams at the top)? I honestly am having a hard time remembering at this point...maybe as late as the mid 90's?

Mid 90s maybe?

Bulls
Pacers
Magic
Knicks
Charlotte maybe?

The west still had

Sonics
Rockets
Jazz
Suns
Spurs

These were the top teams 95-98 I think. West was loaded back then too.

random25

The majority part of the 90's. Jordan's 2nd retirement, the top East teams aging, Shaq moving to LA, 1996 draft class with a lot of players coming to the West bloomed in 2000's and Duncan getting drafted by the Spurs caused the big shift favoring the West.

Edit: It's also unfortunate that the East has probably the most injury-plagued superstars/all-stars. It could have been a different story had the East stars remained relatively healthy.

Mid 90s maybe?

Bulls
Pacers
Magic
Knicks
Charlotte maybe?

The west still had

Sonics
Rockets
Jazz
Suns
Spurs

These were the top teams 95-98 I think. West was loaded back then too.

That's about the timeline I thought too. East has been mostly garbage with 1-2 frontrunner teams every year after that. I feel like the NBA needs to at least look into it this point. I mean it's been 20 years at this point since the East was as good as the West...

Anth0ny

can someone explain why gs/okc gets 3 days off between games 2 and 3 while raps/cavs only get one?

what's the fucking rush with these conference finals? the teams can't get two or three days off between games? for fucks sake

DAMN I'M SALTY

googly

can someone explain why gs/okc gets 3 days off between games 2 and 3 while raps/cavs only get one?

what's the fucking rush with these conference finals? the teams can't get two or three days off between games? for fucks sake

DAMN I'M SALTY

Why would the league want to let a team that just finished 2 7 game series rest when the preferred draw in the finals is already fully rested?

I find this West > East talk to be overstated TBH. The West is almost as lopsided as the East. Until the Golden State emergence last year, for the past 5 years or so it was always a foregone conclusion that either the Spurs or OKC were coming out of the West. Even now, the only difference between the two conferences is the West has three elite teams to the East's one.

Fjordson

I find these East vs West debate to be really overstated to be honest.

When you dissect it, the West really isn't that much different, it just have three top heavy teams instead of 1. Look at the first round of the playoffs; Golden State, OKC, and the Spurs all steam rolled through their matchups.

Yeah, shit is crazy.

I wonder what it will be like when he's done though. No chance Nike can retro Lebrons for eternity like Jordans.

rambis

Banned
That's just a consequence of the west decline. If they got so much worse, it's only natural the east teams win games against them. That doesnt make east better. That just makes the west much worse. As the playoffs are clearly showing.

That will be the greatest thing for playoff promotion. They need to do it as quickly as possible.
Its just your confirmation bias letting you reach a conclusion despite what they actual evidence is saying. You don't think the eastern teams got better but thats subjective and wrong anyway as someone that has followed mostly eastern teams this year. Playoffs arent showing anything but how important matchups are which had always been the case.

Gigglepoo

I find this West > East talk to be overstated TBH. The West is almost as lopsided as the East. Until the Golden State emergence last year, for the past 5 years or so it was always a foregone conclusion that either the Spurs or OKC were coming out of the West. Even now, the only difference between the two conferences is the West has three elite teams to the East's one.

The difference is that LAC, Houston, Dallas, Memphis, Portland and one or two other teams every season were real challenges. There was no cake walk. There's no chance of going 12-0 before reaching the Finals. There was no chance of reaching the Finals 6 straight years.

rokkerkory

no way it's way easier in the East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom