• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playoffs |OT| AKA Derrick Rose's family time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit. Its really happening.

How does OKC match up against the Cavs?

Warriors fans shouldnt feel sad. Yall chipped last year and had a historic regular season this year so its all good.

Jonm1010

Banned
Agreed, Minnesota is a team on the rise. If they pick the right guy in this draft, that line-up will be deadly AND they picked the right coach for the job. Next 10 years should be fun.

Kris Dunn should be that guy(though if Bender is there then maybe take that risk).

KAT, Wiggins and Lavine has to be the best young core to come along since OKC.

TheFixer

Neo Member
Lmao! Let's do it. Let Luke take Festus and Harry B to LA and start the Dwight Renaissance in Golden State.
Lol, way to misdiagnose the problem. Namely:
@FredKatz about 14 minutes ago
Thunder lineup of Westbrook, Waiters, Roberson, Durant, Ibaka has outscored the Warriors 91-35 in 26 minutes the last two games.
The so-called "death lineup" is being outclassed in length and athleticism at every single position by the Thunder. It would be absolutely hilarious watching Dwight try to guard Ibaka on the perimeter.

Much like with the Spurs of 2012, it's abundantly clear that the Warriors just don't have the athletes to compete with a juggernaut of a switching defense. It's a fundamental roster construction issue, and essentially what the naysayers from last year foretold would happen once the Warriors played a legitimate (and healthy) contender.

The Warriors would've been swept by the Heat of 2012/2013.

B.O.O.M

I agree on all the Minny talk. They are in a great position for the coming years.

man as Blazer fan...this fking NW division lol

statuez

Banned
Kris Dunn should be that guy(though if Bender is there then maybe take that risk).

KAT, Wiggins and Lavine has to be the best young core to come along since OKC.

Yup. Bucks also have a solid core with Giannis, Jabari and Middleton. I'd put them as the top 2 young cores right now. Hope Giannis makes the jump next season and Jabari continues to improve upon his game like he did after the all star break.

Fjordson

The so-called "death lineup" is being outclassed in length and athleticism at every single position by the Thunder. It would be absolutely hilarious watching Dwight try to guard Ibaka on the perimeter.

Much like with the Spurs of 2012, it's abundantly clear that the Warriors just don't have the athletes to compete with a juggernaut of a switching defense. It's a fundamental roster construction issue, and essentially what the naysayers from last year presaged would happen once the Warriors played a legitimate (and healthy) contender.

Lots of hilarious stuff in this post, but yes. Dwight on Golden State would fix everything right now. That was a 100% serious point I was trying to make with that Twitter photoshop.

74 wins and a title is obviously in the bag once GS replaces Festus and Bogut with Dwight, but I think breaking 80 wins is in play tbh.

That's one way of looking at Davis. Another way is that he's an absolute monster even while being banged up (he's also missed less time over his career because of injury than George).

I mean if you are including the PG leg break than sure but I mean, that's a freak accident that I couldn't possibly hold against a guy for being unable to stay healthy.

I don't think there is a single executive in the league that wouldn't take Davis over George.

At this point if you're taking Davis over PG you're gambling on Davis managing to stay healthy, something which is not rooted in anything other than hopes and dreams. Until the dude stays healthy and gets his team into a decent post season run I dunno why anyone is going to go that route. If you wanna build a franchise today why gamble?

Also, George has yet to win anything of consequence in the playoffs either despite the built-in advantage of playing in the East.

He made it to the conference finals twice and took Lebron's Heat to 7 games. CP3 has failed to make it to the conference finals in his entire tenure in the league with way more depth in his roster. CP3 is 31, PG is 26, in 5 more years he's underachieved George. (yeah I know the east is weaker than the west but you play where you are drafted)

He's also never finished above CP3 in the MVP voting. I don't think there's a huge gap between the three at this point, but Davis and Paul rank slightly higher by just about any metric.

I don't think the gap among them on a pure talent level is that big either but I'm still picking PG if you asked me to pick today. Younger, not as injury prone, still producing at a high clip.

Holy shit. Its really happening.

Warriors fans shouldnt feel sad. Yall chipped last year and had a historic regular season this year so its all good.

If GS do not chip this year its a failed season imo. If they don't make it to the finals its an embarrassment. You don't have that regular season to potentially go out 4-1.

mjp2417

Banned

OKC, when they're right, match up well against just about anyone. However, LeBron has historically had KD's number and the Cavs have more viable, active big men than either the Spurs or the Warriors to partially negate the Adams/Kanter/Ibaka advantage. It would almost certainly be a long, close series.

Much like with the Spurs of 2012, it's abundantly clear that the Warriors just don't have the athletes to compete with a juggernaut of a switching defense. It's a fundamental roster construction issue, and essentially what the naysayers from last year foretold would happen once the Warriors played a legitimate (and healthy) contender.

Waiters and Roberson were completely useless in the first 2 games. Role players naturally perform well at home but we'll see if it travels.

Why y'all doubting waiters man. There was a point in time I thought him and Kyrie would be one of the best backcourt a in the league lol. Then I saw that he wants the ball ALL the time lol.

jdstorm

Banned
OKC, when they're right, match up well against just about anyone. However, LeBron has historically had KD's number and the Cavs have more viable, active big men than either the Spurs or the Warriors to partially negate the Adams/Kanter/Ibaka advantage. It would almost certainly be a long, close series.

I think matchup wise it's going to be interesting. Kevin Love has traditionally killed OKC and Kyrie is fast enough to cause OKC problems inside.

Yet okc's Westbrook Waiters Roberson Durant Ibaka line up is close to a mirror image defensively to the Raptors Lowry Derozen Carrol Paterson Biambo lineup that is greatly bothering the Cavs this series. Not to mention OKC has the option to slow it down and Bang Cleveland inside with Kanter and Adams.

I think matchup wise it's going to be interesting. Kevin Love has traditionally killed OKC and Kyrie is fast enough to cause OKC problems inside.

Yet okc's Westbrook Waiters Roberson Durant Ibaka line up is close to a mirror image defensively to the Raptors Lowry Derozen Carrol Paterson Biambo lineup that is greatly bothering the Cavs this series. Not to mention OKC has the option to slow it down and Bang Cleveland inside with Kanter and Adams.

Makes me wonder when Lue is going to dust off Mozgov, if ever.

J2 Cool

I don't even buy that one. They had so many blowouts and rested so many 4th quarters the last 2 years. They got punched in the mouth and wilted. It doesn't happen often to defending champs, but it's happening. Injuries and fatigue are just bullshit excuses.

Basically this. They're a dancing team, and they ran into a fight.

jdstorm

Banned
Agreed, Minnesota is a team on the rise. If they pick the right guy in this draft, that line-up will be deadly AND they picked the right coach for the job. Next 10 years should be fun.

That guy is Jacob Poeltl. He's not going to be a superstar but he could easily be Marc Gasol, Andrew Bogut or Steven Adams. Which Minny will need to be competitive against teams with good C's. Plus it allows KAT to play PF in some lineups.

Then offer a SG like Eric Gordon a 2yr MAX deal to be 6th man

Seeing the so called greatest team in NBA history with the player some have started calling one of the best ever get totally outclassed like this is extraordinary. Throughout these games I'm thinking ok any minute now Curry is going to show some energy and actually change the momentum of the game. But nope. Nothing. He's kind of pouting out there with horrible body language.

That's not the best player in the league or best team in the league attitude or performance. Really really crazy seeing this happen.

Lightning

Banned
I'm not sure what pisses me off more. The fact that the Cavs fucked that game 4 up after leading in the 4th quarter and not putting that series to bed already or the fact that the Warriors aren't playing very well.

Now my Cavs vs Warriors dream with both teams healthy looks like it will remain a dream. The Cavs are a home loss away from losing to the Raptors.... that's ridiculous. There are no health, fatigue or lack of help excuses for this nonsense from the Cavs. I still hope the Warriors pull it out but looking unlikely now, not sure they can beat the Thunder 3 games in a row the way the Thunder are playing.

Working nights shift is the woat if you're a sports fan. Can't watch anything live. Mjcry.png

As for dubs and cavs...

It was all good just a week ago.

Yeah, i just stole kanye and jays line.

Brinbe

Hahahaha, this is all crazy cocky owner karma coming to roost. Simmons was right all along. Blame Lacob!
KuGsj.gif

https://youtu.be/s40aJB1Ryp0?t=42m

Marz

So if Curry loses in the WCF, his Finals record will still be perfect.

But the narrative on Lebron will still be "hurr durr 2-4 in the Finals".

mjp2417

Banned
Basically this. They're a dancing team, and they ran into a fight.

I think it's also easy to forget just how loaded OKC actually is. They have 2 of the 4 best players in the world, a big man rotation that is the envy of just about any team in the NBA, and more athleticism than anyone in the league. There just aren't many passing lanes or fast breaks for a pace-and-space team like the Warriors because of the length and speed, and Westbrook and Durant can alternate between taking over games offensively (with the bigs cleaning up if they happen to miss).

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I think it's also easy to forget just how loaded OKC actually is. They have 2 of the 4 best players in the world, a big man rotation that is the envy of just about any team in the NBA, and more athleticism than anyone in the league. There just aren't many passing lanes or fast breaks for a pace-and-space team like the Warriors because of the length and speed, and Westbrook and Durant can alternate between taking over games offensively (with the bigs cleaning up if they happen to miss).
When the Thunder are firing on all cylinders they're unbeatable. Even as a Thunder fan, and local, I'm kinda stunned by their composure in this series. I still worry about the GSW skill. Crossing fingers for the next game.

thats how it should be honestly, you have been shooting three's with 5 foot gaps all season. that time is over

Can we talk hero ball a bit

How do you feel three point shots have made a change in the conference finals versus what was happening pre that for most of the season and preseason

IMO- hero ball was never a way to make a team because apparently defense has gotten very relaxed juding from what transpired during the regular season.

Now that teams are really playing defense three pointers have been missed a lot more in the conferences as far as I can tell. (no stats to back that up) but feel OCK are winning it playing against what Warriors were use to and winning with d and driving to the hole pretty well.

I think this is what a lot of old timers have been saying as far as saying GS or any small team wouldn't have lasted in the pre 2000's era and especially 80's to early 90's where defense was much harder and complete.

A lot of records were set for three's this year as well in the playoffs and those teams that were setting them are also having tough times winning at the moment.

Now, rather hero ball comes back and wins it for either cavs or play GS I would still feel it's not the way to go long term against a good defense and you have to play out of that 3 mindset as it can just as easily be the reason you get beat.

SCChappy

Banned
My hope is that the 4th quarter near comeback win revitalized the Cavs and that's how they'll play the rest of the series. Toronto barely survived that and if the Cavs play that way the entire game it should be an easy win.

But this is the Cavs we're talking about so I expect nothing.

My hope is that the 4th quarter near comeback win revitalized the Cavs and that's how they'll play the rest of the series. Toronto barely survived that and if the Cavs play that way the entire game it should be an easy win.

But this is the Cavs we're talking about so I expect nothing.

I said this near the first round and people were saying cavs are going to win the championship etc

I did say I don't expect okc, warriors and cavs to win a championship but obviously that is pretty huge odds. I pointed to their emotional issues and confidence issues. Other reasoning for GS was always that if you play defense and stop their style that you can beatg them because they have no other way to play after that (and playing all year the same way) they are simply use to taking semi open easy threes and making teams feel they can't be beat.

I could still see the cavs or gs winning, not impossible but a big uphill battle for GS.

Cavs can still win this series without a doubt but at this point it depends on their heads more than skill. There is some justification in what I said close to mid regular season, you just guard steph and guard him hard with touching him up and you will stop him. you can stop most players in the world if you do that but it isn't about knocking them down, it's all about what you see in that gif up above. bang him and stick to him, don't let him drive down the court and shoot threes from 40 feet which he often did and did well. That is the only thing that pissed me off in the regular seaon was seeing his demonor and his steps (he wother till often get a certain look to his head) and a slight shift in forward movement at half court when he is going to take the shot. but at that point even if the other team sees that like I do it's still too late cause they can't reach him even at a full sprint at that moment. even though it takes step a full second to a second and a half to take the shot from his body guesture of knowing he will take the shot, they are about four feet behind the three point line or jogging often. glad that is over for the playoffs for now.

Lightning

Banned
In all honesty I have a really terrible feeling that the Cavs will lose this series.
I don't believe so but it will lead to a few players getting shown the door in Cleveland should they lose in my opinion. Can't see it though but game 5 will tell the story. Cavs win that one they will win the series imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom