• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playoffs |OT| AKA Derrick Rose's family time

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if Curry loses in the WCF, his Finals record will still be perfect.

But the narrative on Lebron will still be "hurr durr 2-4 in the Finals".

Do you really think LeBron would've been to that many Finals if he played in the West? Granted those Heat teams were stacked and now he's also surrounded by all stars, but take a look at the league: there are zero championship contenders in the East. He basically has a guaranteed spot in the Finals every year. And if he doesn't he'll just take his talents to a place where it is guaranteed.

Now West isn't what it used to be either. There's like 3-4 really good teams who beat up on each other, The rest are mediocre or horrible. This is the first team that can match up with GS in the last two years in the playoffs. Suddenly there are no free three point shots and it's hard to get into a rhythm, unlike in 90% of the regular season games against inferior teams. And they have to face a great team every game, not just once a month like in the regular season. That 3 point percentage will always come crashing down when you are not ten times better than the opposition. Nobody will make 45% of their threes when they are getting kicked in the teeth. Maybe for a game or two, but not the whole series.

random25

Do you really think LeBron would've been to that many Finals if he played in the West? Granted those Heat teams were stacked and now he's also surrounded by all stars, but take a look at the league: there are zero championship contenders in the East. He basically has a guaranteed spot in the Finals every year. And if he doesn't he'll just take his talents to a place where it is guaranteed.

I really don't get this long running argument at all. If he's playing on the West, he'll be winning more than 2 championships by now.

Marz

Lol please. If he was in the West he would have been on the Mavs, Lakers, or Spurs paired up with Kobe, Dirk, or Duncan in their prime with a competent front office and an invested owner.

Why he gets penalized for going to a great organization that actually made the necessary moves to become a legit contender is beyond me.

OKC! One more game. That was a great game. I don't think they can close it out in Oakland, but I think it's less likely that the Warriors sweep the last three. Can't wait for game 5!

I really don't get this long running argument at all. If he's playing on the West, he'll be winning more than 2 championships by now.

Let's be more clear: if the team he played for in the East was in the Western conference, would he have been in the Finals with some of those teams? It's not wrong to say that right now he gets a free pass to the Finals, where he usually has had to meet a far more superior opponent than anything coming out the Eastern conference. That's the reason why his Finals record is so bad. Except the Dallas series, that's solely on him.

I don't know why it always seems to be that that East is so bad, but this might be one of the worst years ever. Or does somebody actually believe that the Raptors could beat OKC or GS in a series, or even win one game?

Oh and I wouldn't call Cuban competent. He tries hard I'll give him that, but he's also made a ton of terrible decisions with his personnel.

Joei

I saw this after both game ones... I think it should be flipped around lol

tfEfEf9.jpg

Lightning

Banned
This is insane, if they get eliminated next game I'd argue this is one of the greatest upsets in sports history.
OKC who have 2 of the best 5 players in the game and a healthy great squad beating the Warriors is not one of the greatest upsets in sports history. OKC have great players, they ain't scrubs beating the Warriors.

OKC who have 2 of the best 5 players in the game and a healthy great squad beating the Warriors is not one of the greatest upsets in sports history. OKC have great players, they ain't scrubs beating the Warriors.

It's no shot at the Thunder they are a great team but were talking about beating a team that went 73-9.

If they win the finals this has to be an all time great run, yes they have 2 top 5 players but they beat the 67 wins spurs and are on the way on beating a 73 win warriors squad without HCA. This is insane!

Lightning

Banned
It's not a shot at the Thunder they are a great team but were talking about beating a team that went 73-9.

If they win the finals this has to be an all time great run, yes they have 2 top 5 players but they beat the 67 wins spurs and are on the way on beating a 73 win warriors squad without HCA. This is insane!
Great achievement if they manage to pull it off but you do have to take into account the talent on the OKC team and didn't play with the consistent level until these series.

If you recall during the regular season OKC's defense was very hit and miss, there were several games they were just absolutely horrid while the Spurs had one of the best defenses until OKC exposed it. Regular season is not a good gauge, the level of intensity is not the same as the defense currently being deployed by OKC they are contesting almost everything. There were several media members predicting this series to go 7 games, just like the Spurs series.

If it was a team like Portland pulling this off you might have a point but OKC? Not for me. They are far far to talented to be written off against anyone. It's an upset for sure but "one of the greatest upsets" is disrespectful to the talent of that OKC team. They have a crew there.

Cheebo

Banned
There is no way if the Warriors fail even make the finals this year that the 73-9 will become something they will be endlessly mocked for rather than celebrated.

I don't know why it always seems to be that that East is so bad, but this might be one of the worst years ever. Or does somebody actually believe that the Raptors could beat OKC or GS in a series, or even win one game?

Fuck it, I'll take the bait. If Raps play OKC in the Finals they will win the NBA championship. I dunno why everyone finds the preposition so offensive that they might win a single game but yah, I can see the Raps beating OKC in a 7 game series.

The Dubs look pathetic out there, like they don't even care. Thursday they have a chance to respond to adversity but if they choke it away I have no problem stating the Raps would give OKC a more difficult series.

I dont get this whole bitter ass talk about Lebron has an easy route to the finals. He wouldn't have taken dumpster fire teams to the finals two of those years. He is gonna play for contenders.

If Dubs lose it wont be one of the greatest upsets in sports history. OKC had 2 of the top 5 players in the league with a former MVP and scoring champ and someone putting up Tripe Double numbers unseen for years. It would be more along the lines of most embarassing season for the Warriors though. Thr haters will be validated.

It's no shot at the Thunder they are a great team but were talking about beating a team that went 73-9.

Sorry, HCA? Not quite sure what that means.

BumRush

How much credit does Donovan get? It's like watching those Florida Championship teams all over again. Just shutting down the main scorers

A lot of the credit, for sure. Their defensive strategy is playing PERFECTLY into their individual strengths and making them really tough to score on.

phanphare

Banned
How much credit does Donovan get? It's like watching those Florida Championship teams all over again. Just shutting down the main scorers

a ton. dude got past a great coach pop/spurs team and is on the cusp of beating a great warriors team.

I had my doubts during the regular season because of all those blown 4th quarters but something clicked for them in a big way during the playoffs

rambis

Banned
I mean offensively they seem to just do whatever but defensively they are just so impressive. That has to be mostly coaching.

Ronin Ray

Great achievement if they manage to pull it off but you do have to take into account the talent on the OKC team and didn't play with the consistent level until these series.

If you recall during the regular season OKC's defense was very hit and miss, there were several games they were just absolutely horrid while the Spurs had one of the best defenses until OKC exposed it. Regular season is not a good gauge, the level of intensity is not the same as the defense currently being deployed by OKC they are contesting almost everything. There were several media members predicting this series to go 7 games, just like the Spurs series.

If it was a team like Portland pulling this off you might have a point but OKC? Not for me. They are far far to talented to be written off against anyone. It's an upset for sure but "one of the greatest upsets" is disrespectful to the talent of that OKC team. They have a crew there.

Nah OKC didn't expose the Spurs Defense, It was never the same after Tim came back for his knee injury. It was in decline since then and had been discussed multiple times during the season. It was also a lopsided mismatch at PG and overall athleticism before that series started (Leonard cant stick everyone). It makes me wish the spurs had the money to keep Cory Joseph last off season.

spyder_ur

That's a great clip to get a sense of what's going on defensively by the Thunder. 3 people make contact with him in that 5 seconds, and Westbrook is close by too. Just good discipline and focus by a team that has not shown that consistently in the playoffs the last 5 or 6 years.

Is there any point guard in the league who can give Westbrook trouble? How does Chris Paul do against him?

More than anything, Westbrook gives himself trouble when he struggles. He's on another planet right now though.

It might be because of the injury, but Curry has been atrocious on defense this series. He's getting roasted by Westbrook or Waiters whenever he's on ball. When he's off ball, he's consistently getting back cut forcing defensive help, slow on closing out to shooters, or (most commonly) being a huge liability on the defensive boards (Roberson and Westbrook had 7 combined offensive rebounds and watching the game, several of those were against Curry). The first of those defensive issues is understandable given the matchup, but off the ball D and rebounding aren't acceptable. It's been a bad performance.

ampere

Honestly I thought OKC was in for a trainwreck of a season with the coaching change. Definitely eating my words about Donovan

I laughed at the hire but he's been money this postseason and has out coached COTY Steve Kerr. The Thunder are winning this series because of matchups. If Scotty Brooks were still their coach he probably would have been busy trying to figure out the best way to get Kendrick Perkins in the game against GS.

I laughed at the hire but he's been money this postseason and has out coached COTY Steve Kerr. The Thunder are winning this series because of matchups. If Scotty Brooks were still their coach he probably would have been busy trying to figure out the best way to get Kendrick Perkins in the game against GS.

nooooooooooooooo XD

not-like-this.gif

Is there any point guard in the league who can give Westbrook trouble? How does Chris Paul do against him?

Beverly and Conley probably have been able to slow him down a little, but he's too quick for most PG's, and the ones that are quick enough to guard him end up getting posted up and outmuscled.

Pretty much. Sam Presti took a BIG gamble with all the trades at the deadline last year and the coaching change in the offseason. As recently as Feb/March of this year, those decisions were not looking so good. Gotta' give him credit for having the stones to make some big decisions and take some real chances right before Durant's free agency. Looks like he made all the right moves now.

Abounder

Banned
Thunder are freaking awesome and finally healthy, good to see a big lineup in this small ball era. Warriors, like the rest of the west, are getting exposed big time, It's like Kerr/Curry has never faced against a team with multiple and healthy all-nba talent

Oh yea and Draymond Green deserves to be suspended for tripping Kanter, but they're the golden boys so good luck punishing them with anything....might even be doing Thunder a favor by playing that homophobe anyway!

spyder_ur

fyi, fwiw, via sportscenter: Teams to trail 3-1 have a 9-223 series record overall in NBA postseason history.

I'd be curious how many of those teams still had 2 of the last 3 at home - I'm guessing the record looks less exagerrated. It stands to reason that the vast majority of teams down 1-3 also had 2 of the last 3 on the road.

Thunder are freaking awesome and finally healthy, good to see a big lineup in this small ball era. Warriors, like the rest of the west, are getting exposed big time, it's like Kerr/Curry has never faced against a team with multiple and healthy all-nba talent

Well I mean that is max 2 or 3 teams in the NBA at a given time, so it's not saying much. There aren't too many teams with the talent level of OKC, which is why they've generally been considered disappointments in the postseason. They've certainly got it all rolling now though. They're getting beat. They're not getting exposed (with the exception of Curry's defense). There's a difference.

In all honesty I have a really terrible feeling that the Cavs will lose this series.

Same here. I'll be nervous tonight. Toronto played really well on both sides the past two games and Valanciunas is going to be playing at some point. Here they have a rare opportunity for home court advantage if the Thunder win their series, and it may not even matter if they can't make the Finals. I want to see them get back into the paint like the first two games and stop lobbing endless three pointers (unless they are actually making them like Hawks series).

spyder_ur

Does anyone have numbers on how many minutes the GS 'Lineup of Death' has gotten together in this series? It doesn't seem like that many - OKC has done a great job pushing them away from that. It's tough to play that type of lineup when you can't rebound, but more importantly cant guard the opponents PG. Totally breaks down.

I kind of think the Dubs have to live or die by it the rest of the series though.

Abounder

Banned
Well I mean that is max 2 or 3 teams in the NBA at a given time, so it's not saying much. There aren't too many teams with the talent level of OKC, which is why they've generally been considered disappointments in the postseason. They've certainly got it all rolling now though. They're getting beat. They're not getting exposed (with the exception of Curry's defense). There's a difference.

It says that the Warriors record /status as an all time team is fool's gold (unless they pull off a comeback, lol), they do not match up well against equally talented teams. I suppose Curry already got exposed when he couldn't win a FMVP against an injured Kyrie. Goldenrods are getting exposed and beat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom