• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playoffs |OT| AKA Derrick Rose's family time

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSM

About time the Celts started playing with some pace. It was painfully obvious the half court sets were favoring the Hawks.

Undefined

San Antonio can rest all their starters for this series and it would still be an easy sweep.
These grizzlies are one of the worst teams in the league right now, even worse than the phoenix suns.

Eos

San Antonio can rest all their starters for this series and it would still be an easy sweep.
These grizzlies are one of the worst teams in the league right now, even worse than the phoenix suns.

these grizzlies would be the suns in 6
they'd sweep them if they had conley and gasol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Boston is a fraud team. Good luck signing any free agents after this sham of a performance. Might as well blow it up Danny. Buy one undersized combo guard get one free.

At least they beat Golden State this season.

That puts them on the same level as the Lakers!

Jarate

Banned
wrong thread :p

Anyway, all this series is showing is that the Celtics need a guy who can make a shot. They don't have one on their team. Their defense is great, but they still lack that #1. KD is really the only shot you guys have, unless you guys are willing to trade your pick for Kyrie, Butler, or another Disgruntled star]

ok friskykillface

LOL

I was buying a old ass sony recorder thats worth $400 for $7, ninja turtle figures and mario 64 at a thrift store while that game was going on
I had the better night.

smh Celtics, what a shitty team tonight, get someone good Ainge, they are lost as fuck
7 point quarter, WHAT

Whiteside pls
Simmons or Ingram pls
Cousins pls

pick up Batum , ryan anderson, noah for cheap

wrong thread :p

Anyway, all this series is showing is that the Celtics need a guy who can make a shot. They don't have one on their team. Their defense is great, but they still lack that #1. KD is really the only shot you guys have, unless you guys are willing to trade your pick for Kyrie, Butler, or another Disgruntled star]

Between the two I'd say Butler would be the more likely.

Finally, the Spurs have rediscovered the 3pt shot. Mills, Ginobli and Martin have done good this game. Hope they can continue that throughout the series and into the next. Just wondering why I haven't seen Simmons? Was hoping Pop would play him some.

serious question: Who would you rather have, Julius Randle or Marcus Smart?

Ainge needs to be held accountable for his poor draft selections past few years. Olynk and Smart over Randle and Giannis Antetokounmpo? I mean the Raptors under Masai Ujiri tried to get a 1st in that draft for Giannis but Bryan Colangelo fucked up the Raptors assets so badly we couldn't.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Celtics fell out of top 3 and picked another SG.

Screen-Shot-2014-09-25-at-12.48.21-AM-630x405.png

James Young was an awful pick. That being said, I'm not the biggest Smart or Olynyk fan in the world, but both are pretty serviceable players. Plus the Celtics were supposed to be very bad by now, the rebuild is still ongoing, however good buy low deals and a top 5 coach have them in the playoffs. If Ainge fails with the Nets picks, then we can judge his work. As it is they could have done better, but they could have done worse. One of the top picks in those drafts was Anthony fucking Bennett for example. It's hard to look at picks that turned out to be steals and say it's your GM fault, I mean, the current second best player in the NBA started his career being traded for George Hill. Weird shit happens.

Besides, Rodney Hood looks better than both Smart and Randle. So does Jusuf Nurkic.

Bread

Banned
a perimeter player who can't shoot or score in 2016 is pretty worthless too. Both are rotation players at best unless they get dependable jumpers.
sure, i'm with you there.

my post was more in response to metalfear who said that ainge needs to be held accountable for that "miss" though.

sure, i'm with you there.

my post was more in response to metalfear who said that ainge needs to be held accountable for that "miss" though.

I don't know that he was a miss, as he was BPA. I don't think most people predicted he would have so much trouble scoring though. That and the league shifted so much in the span of 2 years. Many people said his ceiling was Tony Allen, but even prime Tony Allen would not be as valuable as he was, say 5 years ago. Same with Randle. A PF who can attack the basket and rebound but can't shoot isn't what he used to be.

Bread

Banned
I don't know that he was a miss, as he was BPA. I don't think most people predicted he would have so much trouble scoring though. That and the league shifted so much in the span of 2 years. Many people said his ceiling was Tony Allen, but even prime Tony Allen would not be as valuable as he was, say 5 years ago. Same with Randle. A PF who can attack the basket and rebound but can't shoot isn't what he used to be.
The draft is a crap shoot. Smart was seen as the most prepared player for the NBA that year and he got to the league and stopped doing what he was good at, driving to the hoop. I still believe that he will be a really useful player though. Not sure about Randle, he'd have to develop a ZBo type mid range game to get there.

At least we can all agree that both are better than Nik Stauskas, the following pick and a guy I really really liked before the draft so what the fuck do I know.

Marz

God round 1 is bad. How I wish we had 5-gm series back.

The talent in the NBA is just not at the levels it was from like 1991-2005.

Some of these teams have no business being in the playoffs and the east is pathetically weak outside of the Cavs

J2 Cool

Some of these teams have no business being in the playoffs and the east is pathetically weak outside of the Cavs

Mm don't really agree with that. East is resurgent, with some interesting talent if not elite teams, West's back half is garbage.

And I would say nba's talent was pretty high 91-94 but...99-2003 is the pits. Not too fun watching the Lakers teams break through AI's Sixers or Kidd's Nets.

2008-2016 has been high, its just in some transition from 2012-14 where talents not combined into but a couple elite teams that tower above a bunch of medicority. But the league is much more talent heavy than 2002.

The top talent is more concentrated that's all.
Wait for the semi conference finals match ups.
The guard and forward play on the top NBA teams is awesome, especially out West.

If you really think that the period of time when the league underwent expansion and that MJ got 6 rings was a time where talent was better distributed then I want whatever you're having.

Also, lets not pretend that the league hasn't always had like 2, maybe 3 teams every year who have a legit shot while the rest aren't even close. It's pretty much always been like that.

stop being nostalgic for a time that didn't exist

I dont think theres been a more skilled era in terms of guard and forward play. I think the only position you can legitimately say had more talent back in the day is the 5 spot.
Todays top guards and forwards are some of the most skilled in the history of the league.
Ball handling, penetration ability, stretch shooting, passing, rebounding, defending (except for James Harden)...they do it all.

I'm not going to get too upset with Ainge's draft selections. Yeah, Giannis obviously would've been the better player in hindsight but that draft was full of garbage and Olynyk is decent.

As for Smart, he was the best player available and even with the benefit of hindsight I don't think I'd take anyone that was selected after him. He may not be the star the C's desperately need but even if he never develops his shot he does everything else so well that I'm happy he's on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom