• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playoffs |OT| AKA Derrick Rose's family time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

There's no splitting...Walton isn't even considered.
Well Walton was on the ballot, I thought he might get more of the "Golden State" votes.

Would a guy get MVP if he missed half of the season? Even on a record breaking team?
Feel like a coach can influence the team more in that situation than an injured payer. I mean Kerr was still working with the team and at home games. And it was the system he implemented last year that they played in.

Don't wanna defend him too hard though, COTY doesn't mean much as an award imo.

How is that even the same? You're taking credit away from the rest of the coaching staff when you discredit the award because Kerr was out.

it's coach of the year, not coaching staff of the year. If it was attributing credit to the entire staff why was Walton separate on the ballot?

I just think it's silly that had they gone 69-13, Kerr probably isn't even considered.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Six people are fucking morons. No way Casey should be anywhere close to COTY. And how can Kerr be the COTY when the team won so many games with him out? Pop should win.

And, yeah the dubs should be heavy faves regardless of whether Curry plays or not. Draymond/Klay/Iggy should still be able to beat and shut down Dame/CJ or a CP-less Clippers. Hell, Livingston might be a better matchup to shut down Lillard than Curry. In fact, it might work out well if Curry gets rest and is good to go for the conference finals against the Spurs/Thunder than if he gets dragged through this next series.

Look I hate Casey as much as the next guy but let's not act like he didn't have a good season coaching.

Most of the year top 10 in defense and offense. Went 20+ games with JV and majority of the season with Demarre Carroll and still won 56 games and comfortably finished second in the East.

I'm not saying he should have won but I can see why he got votes.

Homerism, but I really do fucking think Spo deserves more votes.

No Bosh means nothing?

He should easily be top 5. We won the division and almost won 50 games without arguably our best player for a large portion of the season. He has also done a phenomenal job continuing to develop Whiteside and the two rookies.

Brinbe

Look I hate Casey as much as the next guy but let's not act like he didn't have a good season coaching.

Most of the year top 10 in defense and offense. Went 20+ games with JV and majority of the season with Demarre Carroll and still won 56 games and comfortably finished second in the East.

I'm not saying he should have won but I can see why he got votes.

Not hard when we play in a division with Philly/New York/Brooklyn to beat up on. But I can def see why he gets the votes he did. Doesn't mean he deserves them. Just my opinion.

Also, going to game five tonight. This is what I have to look forward to!

oJybzSf.png

LpGSYFa.png

We The Beavers now. Smfh...

I don't see why he deserves it over Stotts.

Because even the biggest Warriors optimist delusional fan wouldn't have predicted them to break the NBA record for all time wins in a season in an era when players rest every other game.

I get what the Blazers did was great and all but they won 29 games less than the Warriors did. Maybe the Blazers talent deserves a little bit of credit.

Let's put it this way. The Rockets are maligned as trash all year and they win only a few games less than the Blazers. So I personally don't understand how Stotts is white knighted when his team is more talented than the Rockets.

Because even the biggest Warriors optimist delusional fan wouldn't have predicted them to break the NBA record for all time wins in a season in an era when players rest every other game.

I get what the Blazers did was great and all but they won 29 games less than the Warriors did. Maybe the Blazers talent deserves a little bit of credit.

I'm not sure I agree with that first part, they won 6 more games this year than they did last year. The Blazers should've been a lottery team.

I'm not sure I agree with that first part, they won 6 more games this year than they did last year. The Blazers should've been a lottery team.

Why? I added a part about the Rockets in my last post. I think your discounting the teams talent. It was extremely undervalued pre season.

Eos

Blazers lost 4 of their starters and still managed to make the playoffs. Stotts absolutely should've won COTY. Only 1 and maybe 2 teams would've been able to do that, and blazers aren't one of them.

They lost 4 of their starters and they were replaced with solid players and arguably upgraded at shooting guard. They were still worse than last year, which is expected obviously, but it's not as if they made the playoffs with no talent. I don't really understand how Stotts is getting this praise if a guy like Carlisle isn't, considering his team had less talent than the Blazers.

phanphare

Banned
would have liked to have seen clifford higher than that. dude put together a top 10 defense without his best defender not to mention an elite rebounder at his position. dude plays to the strengths of his roster with the best of em.

Let's put it this way. The Rockets are maligned as trash all year and they win only a few games less than the Blazers. So I personally don't understand how Stotts is white knighted when his team is more talented than the Rockets.
Half the West was awful as hell. Like, all credit to the dubs for their humongous accomplishments but when you have dumpster fire like Houston as the 8 seed it's obvious half the competition was hot garbage.

Fjordson

As usual on twitter, people have to swing for the fences and go overboard with their hot takes for some attention.

"anyone could coach that team to 75 wins!!!"

That logic is more applicable to GS and Kerr IMO.

Stotts was working with 4 new starters. To get them into the playoffs was a monumental coaching effort that no one predicted.

That logic is more applicable to GS and Kerr IMO.

Stotts was working with 4 new starters. To get them into the playoffs was a monumental coaching effort that no one predicted.

Just because it wasn't predicted doesn't mean it was some impossible task that wasn't equal to 10 other teams in the league.

Just because it wasn't predicted doesn't mean it was some impossible task that wasn't equal to 10 other teams in the league.

I don't know if Stotts should be COTY or not but I'm glad he was considered. All I'm saying is that your logic that the team's talent should be given more credit is more applicable to Kerr's situation considering how this season started.

Steve Kerr was 34-5 this year. Luke Walton was 39-4. I mean, I like Kerr a lot and I recognize why he won the award (73 wins is a milestone worth celebrating), but given the circumstances, it was frankly absurd to give him the nod. Still, I can't be upset about it; if he had been there the entire year, I'm pretty sure the end result would have been pretty much the same.

megalowho

Holy shit I was sure Stevens would at least be 2nd. How ridiculous.
I can see how, in the lens of a single season, lots of factors contribute to who ends up getting votes and why. But in terms of pure coaching talent, we know what we've got in Stevens. Great piece today on ESPN from Jackie MacMullan on Brad, wouldn't take anyone else on the list over him long term. He'll get accolades in time.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15356168/brad-stevens-next-superstar-head-coach

winjet81

Holy shit I was sure Stevens would at least be 2nd. How ridiculous.

They're a poor team vs +.500+ teams and have a losing road record. Anyone can get to the playoffs in the east when your team feasts on bottom dwellers and has the luxury of tommy heinsohn approved home-cooked reffing.

megalowho

They're a poor team vs +.500+ teams and have a losing road record. Anyone can get to the playoffs in the east when your team feasts on bottom dwellers and has the luxury of tommy heinsohn approved home-cooked reffing.
They have a lot of quality wins against playoff teams in both conferences, have lost some real stinkers to bottom feeders like the Nets and Lakers and have basically a .500 record on the road at 20-21. You sure you've watched the Celtics this season?

Kerr should not get COTY when he missed a third of the season. Especially when they didn't miss a beat with him gone. Stevens, Stotts and Carlisle should be the top 3.

Yes, this is perfectly how I feel. But COTY is the Gold Glove of the NBA, motherfuckers almost never get it right. From 05 to 09, the winners were Pringles, Avery Johnson, Sam Mitchell, Byron Scott and Mike fucking Brown.

spyder_ur

They beat the Thunder, Warriors and Cavs on the road - certainly the only team to do that since they were the only team to beat the Warriors.

The losing team vs +.500 sounds like a cool stat until you realize that the majority (yes, majority) of playoff teams have a losing record against winning teams.

The bottom of the West was just as soft if not softer than the bottom of the east this year, all you have to do is look at the bottom 4 playoff teams in the West's records in the same categories this year.

The Celts are not a great team but they're a very tough out and a fantastically coached group, and I do not think you know what you are talking about.

Yes, this is perfectly how I feel. But COTY is the Gold Glove of the NBA, motherfuckers almost never get it right. From 05 to 09, the winners were Pringles, Avery Johnson, Sam Mitchell, Byron Scott and Mike fucking Brown.

Wow that's pretty damning. D'Antoni and Avery to a lesser extent are fine but the other three are coaching abominations.

I have no problem rewarding the Warriors for the regular season but it's pretty silly to give it to a guy who participated in half of the games. They'll have plenty other accolades coming their way. Honestly I would've been fine if they would've combined Walton and Kerr on the ballot since it was a unique situation.

NHale

Blake Griffin and Chris Paul out of the playoffs

Arash Markazi
ESPN Senior Writer

Blake Griffin is out for the rest of the playoffs with a left quad injury.

Arash Markazi
ESPN Senior Writer

Chris Paul had surgery this morning on the fracture in the third metacarpal in his right hand and will miss the rest of the playoffs.

And to think 24h ago everyone was saying how lucky the Clippers were because of the Curry injury and every Warriors (and some bball fans) were rooting for the Blazers to prolong the series to 7 games...

spyder_ur

Blake has played his last game as a Clipper. God speed.

I doubt it personally, though it's going to be an offseason of reckoning for them.

If Blake is on the market though, I'd love for the Celtics to buy low-ish on him. He's only 27 but people quickly forget how dominant he was last postseason.

I doubt it personally, though it's going to be an offseason of reckoning for them.

If Blake is on the market though, I'd love for the Celtics to buy low-ish on him. He's only 27 but people quickly forget how dominant he was last postseason.

He's the only thing they have of value in order to shake up that team. They have no flexibility otherwise. CP3 ain't going nowhere on Doc's watch, and DeAndre probably wouldn't fetch as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom