• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2014-15 Men's Basketball |OT| It's Cal's World, We're Just Living In It

The best part was Jay describing how great of a move it was.

UK was dominated us quite easily. They certainly didn't need that shit.

Haha, yeah. I called it here. Someone else on our team did it in the 2nd half too. The refs messed up some out of bounds calls both ways too. Sometimes they get confused when Duke isn't playing.

You all will have a great season though. Hopefully we meet again in March and you guys get a chance at redemption. I doubt that would be optimal for your alls run though.

GG KU if I have to root for a Big 12 team it is always your guys.

Goddamnit Grover :lol

I mean...you saw that team tonight. When they're fully locked in and engaged, they aren't losing. To anyone.

They won't go 40-0 because they'll eventually play some lowly SEC team on the road and, being the young team that they are, will be caught napping and the effort won't match the talent.

The scariest part is how will they look when the O comes around.

devilhawk

Haha, yeah. I called it here. Someone else on our team did it in the 2nd half too. The refs messed up some out of bounds calls both ways too. Sometimes they get confused when Duke isn't playing.

You all will have a great season though. Hopefully we meet again in March and you guys get a chance at redemption. I doubt that would be optimal for your alls run though.

GG KU if I have to root for a Big 12 team it is always your guys.
Hell, KU played a 17 year old serious minutes tonight. UK doesn't even have a 17 year old. We are young as shit. Self will work his magic.

CronoShot

KU will be fine, but Kentucky's on a whole other level.

The question of the season will be what team (if any) is on the same level.

Seth C

I dunno, maybe Kansas just sucks. It's early in the season, I think I am wrong, but it is a distinct possibility.

Kansas will win their conference. They do not suck. They haven't sucked in a decade.

(They probably will choke in the tournament -- sorry Bill but you know it's true)

Sorry, I must have missed your question and can't seem to find the original post. What were you asking?

I just was curious about your thoughts on the IU-UK series being interrupted. I miss those games, even with UK having a fairly heavy upper-hand for a while now in the head-to-head. I know the whole thing devolved into finger-pointing by both sides when it ended but...I miss those games.

CronoShot

Fun facts: this was Bill Self's worst loss in 12 years of coaching KU (old record was losing by 25 to Texas), the lowest point output by KU in over 30 years, and the fourth worst loss in school history.

Yikes.

Seth C

I just was curious about your thoughts on the IU-UK series being interrupted. I miss those games, even with UK having a fairly heavy upper-hand for a while now in the head-to-head. I know the whole thing devolved into finger-pointing by both sides when it ended but...I miss those games.

Ah! The last game we played, undortunatelyV wasn't pleasant. IU fans spitting on UK fans and the like. It was an unfriendly atmosphere. I don't blame Cal for calling it. Also, it has traditionally been a neutral game on both ends (Indy and Louisville) and I understand the need to fill that Louisville game. If Indy had been willing to go back to rotating between Indy and Louisville we would still be playing it. They weren't, so here we are.

IU is really a dumpster fire right now so I guess it's for the best anyway. Between louisville, kansas, texas, and north Carolina our pre-conference schedule is pretty full. I have a feeling once Crean gets booted the series will be renewed.

Ah! The last game we played, undortunatelyV wasn't pleasant. IU fans spitting on UK fans and the like. It was an unfriendly atmosphere. I don't blame Cal for calling it. Also, it has traditionally been a neutral game on both ends (Indy and Louisville) and I understand the need to fill that Louisville game. If Indy had been willing to go back to rotating between Indy and Louisville we would still be playing it. They weren't, so here we are.

IU is really a dumpster fire right now so I guess it's for the best anyway. Between louisville, kansas, texas, and north Carolina our pre-conference schedule is pretty full. I have a feeling once Crean gets booted the series will be renewed.

I never had an issue with the alternating between Louisville and Indianapolis. I actually ended up getting great seats to those games through my connections. Not so much when the games went back on campus. Although historically speaking, I think the neutral court agreement comprised a rather short period of time in the rivalry. I want to say that scheduling began in the early 90's and I think it was simply based on selling more tickets since obviously the neutral venues had more tickets to sell.

Seth C

I never had an issue with the alternating between Louisville and Indianapolis. I actually ended up getting great seats to those games through my connections. Not so much when the games went back on campus. Although historically speaking, I think the neutral court agreement comprised a rather short period of time in the rivalry. I want to say that scheduling began in the early 90's and I think it was simply based on selling more tickets since obviously the neutral venues had more tickets to sell.

Well, I should have said "recent tradition" I suppose. Let's be honest though, the early 90's would comprise the majority of the modern era of college basketball. I'm 35 and in my lifetime, that match-up had almost always been a "neutral" court. We had a contract to play one game a season at Freedom Hall and after the IU game switched to home and home the teams we played at Freedom Hall were awful, crap, garbage that no one wanted to watch.

Also, Assembly Hall seats about 7,000 fewer people than Rupp and UK got seriously short-changed on tickets when we had to play there. If we resume the game it should go back to Freedom Hall/RCA. Hell, Calipari offered to play it exclusively in Indianapolis and got denied. So the fault is on Crean. That's a generous offer he shouldn't even have made.

PS - Kentucky had as many blocks as Kansas had made field goals. That's...huh, wow.

scoobs

I dunno, maybe Kansas just sucks. It's early in the season, I think I am wrong, but it is a distinct possibility.

I'm the biggest KU fan you'll meet, and not one of my fellow jayhawks thinks this team is any good nor has the potential to be any good. No leadership, bad offense, and soft players.

Seth C

I'm the biggest KU fan you'll meet, and not one of my fellow jayhawks thinks this team is any good nor has the potential to be any good. No leadership, bad offense, and soft players.

I don't think that's fair. You'e definitely a top 20 team and I suspect you'll end up with a 1-3 seed after winning the Big 12 or whatever it's called now.

scoobs

I don't think that's fair. You'e definitely a top 20 team and I suspect you'll end up with a 1-3 seed after winning the Big 12 or whatever it's called now.

The big 12 is the best its been, people are going to see pretty soon that OU, Texas and Iowa State are legit. I'm not saying we can't win it, I'm just saying the general feeling around Lawrence is that nobody really thinks this team is all that good, and we are ALWAYS confident we're good.

Call it a hangover from the Wiggins/Embiid hype train, or whatever, but man... never seen this fanbase so disappointed with this team.

I ride with my Hawks til' I die, but I can't say I've been impressed with a damn thing we've done. I really like Texas this year, I think your matchup with them should be exciting. They have the length to matchup with you a lot better than we do.

Seth C

At least KU didn't lose to Kentucky by 55. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzqhEQ-fUmE

That's a real yikes.

Yeah, your coach should feel like a big man running up the score on a team while they were under the "death penalty" so severe that this game wasn't even broadcast in Kentucky. Super impressive. And our walk-ons still dropped almost 100 on you? Damn dawg. How did your boys do that season? Punked in the second round? That's cool. I bet you're proud. And what's that you say? The very first season Kentucky came out of probation, with a bunch of scrubs, they still whacked your team? Kansas has got bragging rights for sure.

And somehow Kansas has STILL has twice as much time on probation as Kentucky. Now that's impressive. ;)

Context: It matters. Let me know the next time Kentucky is ranked in the top 5 and gets humiliated so bad they barely scored 40. It ain't happening. Mmmm, it feels so good spanking that ass. Roooooooooooock Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllk Jaaaaayhaaaaawk.

devilhawk

Yeah, your coach should feel like a big man running up the score on a team while they were under the "death penalty" so severe that this game wasn't even broadcast in Kentucky. Super impressive. And our walk-ons still dropped almost 100 on you? Damn dawg. How did your boys do that season? Punked in the second round? That's cool. I bet you're proud.

And somehow Kansas has STILL had twice as much time on probation as Kentucky. Now that's impressive. ;)
"Our coach" haha. Go blame the deputy to the east. Next time tell your old coach not to give the middle finger to the opposing coach.

But take solace by exploring the basement of your shopping mall and "finding" some more wins when UNC or KU gets close again.

Seth C

"Our coach" haha. Go blame the deputy to the east. Next time tell your old coach not to give the middle finger to the opposing coach.

But take solace by exploring the basement of your shopping mall and "finding" some more wins when UNC or KU gets close again.

Bwahahaha...you mean the ONE win we added against Louisville? Which Louisville already listed in their official records? Try again, my man. Try again.

(North Carolina "found" 5 wins the next year.)

But hey, you can have it. Hell, take ten wins from Kentucky's record. Let me know where KU stands. Your extra 150 losses are especially impressive. I'm sure UNC will hang a banner for you. They really like banners. IU will probably throw a parade and give out rings.

PS -In 4 minutes of playing time, our 3rd string forward, Derek Willis, outscored your starting forward Perry Ellis.That's gotta be embarrassing. ;) But you keep living in 1990 if it helps you sleep. Were you even alive back then?

Seth C

college fanboy bickering is the worst, and the best at the same time.

Let the record show that I was happy to compliment Kansas and I still think they will win their conference. I try not to start shit (but sometimes I do get drunk...).

devilhawk

PS -In 4 minutes of playing time, our 3rd string forward, Derek Willis, outscored your starting forward Perry Ellis.That's gotta be embarrassing. ;) But you keep living in 1990 if it helps you sleep. Were you even alive back then?
Was most definitely alive. Hell, I remember your old drunk coach. I mean, the one before the last one.

Seth C

Was most definitely alive. Hell, I remember your old drunk coach. I mean, the one before the last one.

Eddie Sutton? He's the one before the one before the one before the one before the last one.

I think. That's a complicated phrase to turn. Plus I think ole Billy Clyde might have been more of a drunk, despite all odds. He definitely spent more time at the college bars. Eating cheese crackers, drinking Dr Pepper, prescribing Pop Tarts. Oh Mitch Barnhart, at least you are good at second tries.

Maybe you can find some more Helm's titles...

Coach

10406619_4796829215666_7324140174124011194_n.jpg

Final (quick) thoughts on notable teams from the tip-off marathon:

Kentucky: Will be a monster in March. The rest of us will have to hope that they have an off night or suddenly forget how to play basketball or all suddenly shrink, otherwise...oh boy

Duke: They looked pretty good to me. Unfortunately, that's the highest praise I can afford them. I've just become conditioned to not overhyping good Duke performances in November. I've been burned too many times for it. They play this well against Wisconsin and we can talk.

Kansas: Will be just fine. They just got punched in the mouth by a bully and were never able to recover last night. They will still be a team to contend with in March.

Louisville: Beat up on a Nobody U and did what they were supposed to.

Florida: Has pretty significant issues to work out. Probably over-ranked at the beginning of the year, but they were missing a lot of key guys. Will still be a contender in the SEC.

Virginia: Beat up on a Nobody U and did what they were supposed to.

Wichita St: Is it just me or has Ron Baker been in school for like 11 years?

Villanova: Beat up on a Nobody U and did what they were supposed to.

Gonzaga: Wiltjer and Pangos are a hell of a starting combination. I like Sabonis coming off the bench as well. Looks like another Gonzaga team that will rip through the WCC and then knock off a team or two in the NCAAT.

San Diego State: That new and improved offense

Michigan State: They showed classic Izzo grit and tenacity. Once they get back to full strength, they will be a very good team.

Seth C

I'm really glad Wiltjer is at a school that's s better fit for him. It seems like he's also more focused on basketball. At Kentucky he just seemed very distracted.

I'm really glad Wiltjer is at a school that's s better fit for him. It seems like he's also more focused on basketball. At Kentucky he just seemed very distracted.

I watched the game on Monday. I always did like him. He seemed like a good kid and I admire his enthuasism to improve. Idk if he is an NBA player without bulking up. My guess he will end up in Europe since he seems convinced playing ball is his career.

Seth C

Looks like the NCAA is dropping the UNC hammer on Weber State.

A Weber State University math instructor violated NCAA ethical conduct rules when she completed coursework for five football student-athletes, according to a decision issued by a Division I Committee on Infractions panel. During the investigation, student-athletes said they received hints about the proper approach, formulas or help with quiz and test answers. Although alleged by enforcement staff, the panel determined the school did not fail to monitor the academic coursework of student-athletes because the compliance system detected the violations and the school quickly took action.

Penalties include three years of probation; scholarship reductions for the football team, more than $5,000 in fines and a five-year show-cause order for the math instructor. During that period, if the instructor works for a member school and has responsibilities in its athletics department, the school must appear before a committee panel.

All that for one rogue instructor, five athletes, and one semester. So if I do the math correctly UNC will be on probation for the next 100 years or so. I mean, if they hand out penalties in a fair and consistent manner.

Fjordson

All that for one rogue instructor, five athletes, and one semester. So if I do the math correctly UNC will be on probation for the next 100 years or so. I mean, if they hand out penalties in a fair and consistent manner.
Sounds about right. NCAA is usually consistent with this stuff.

humgiddygiddy.gif

Top Bottom