• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA March Madness 2016 - Men's Tournament |OT| Nobody is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

UNC fans, please do not ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever talk about how easy Duke's path was to the 2010 championship. This is the cakiest of cakewalks, and every team that has posed even a slight threat to you has been eliminated beforehand.

I expect Hield to score 80 pts on Nova and 7 against UNC in the championship game. Just give Roy his retiring gift so we can get on with next year.

IU and Providence probably better than anybody yall played that run tho. Shit #16 FGCU probably better than a couple teams in that run.

swear to god if Roy don't get us to the final...ahhhhh fuck

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
IU and Providence probably better than anybody yall played that run tho. Shit #16 FGCU probably better than a couple teams in that run.

swear to god if Roy don't get us to the final...ahhhhh fuck

Please this years Duke team beat IU by 20, and that Providence team wasn't any better than Purdue or Cal. Baylor and WVU would have wiped the floor with every team you played and the next two you will play. Hell Butler had more NBA talent than most of them.

Talon

Please this years Duke team beat IU by 20, and that Providence team wasn't any better than Purdue or Cal. Baylor and WVU would have wiped the floor with every team you played and the next two you will play. Hell Butler had more NBA talent than most of them.
y u so salty, mane

Bowser

GESXZNK.jpg

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
y u so salty, mane

Truth is always low sodium tho. And you know its true. I've come to terms with it. You heel fans will do a lot of back slapping on how great this run is when at best your competition is that dude from Oklahoma. If you beat Villanova, then thats 1 good team out of 6 you beat. Cuse is trash, ND is nowhere as good as last year. IU has Tom Crean as their coach.

They might as well put a light blue bow on the trophy.

Talon

Truth is always low sodium tho. And you know its true. I've come to terms with it. You heel fans will do a lot of back slapping on how great this run is when at best your competition is that dude from Oklahoma. If you beat Villanova, then thats 1 good team out of 6 you beat. Cuse is trash, ND is nowhere as good as last year. IU has Tom Crean as their coach.

Truly, you reverse jinxing hard right now. Gotta be 100 wit ya, mad respect. Game respect game.

Sho' is.

Also, who has a larger forehead, Tom Crean or Sheldon Williams?
13823.jpg
d1da727725012eb28dc22eea6f7e40cc.jpg

DominoKid

goddamn right. after the last 5 years of NCAA fuckery i expect Carolina fans to be absolute assholes to anyone within earshot if we win.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Truly, you reverse jinxing hard right now. Gotta be 100 wit ya, mad respect. Game respect game.

Sho' is.

Also, who has a larger forehead, Tom Crean or Sheldon Williams?

You mean Shelden Williams? Errybody know he's Worf's cousin.

goddamn right. after the last 5 years of NCAA fuckery i expect Carolina fans to be absolute assholes to anyone within earshot if we win.

Hey, that Creighton thing wasn't our fault.

Ben VolinVerified account
‏@BenVolin
Syracuse makes the Final Four a year after a self-imposed postseason ban for academic and extra benefits scandal. A true Hollywood story

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
The way I've always judged it (and I admit it's harsh) if you're coaching a blueblood program you don't get out of bed for anything before the Elite 8 so that's bare minimum expectation to me. The 2-4 in the Elite 8 @ Kansas is just really glaring to me.

my numbers might be a bit off cause i'm trying to rush through it. i included some other records where coaches were at another blueblood

Self @ Kansas
13 seasons
2-4 in Elite 8 (did also take Tulsa and Illinois to Elite 8)
1 ring

Shady @ Kentucky
7 seasons
4-1 in the Elite 8
1 ring

Roy @ Carolina
13 seasons
3-3 in Elite 8 with tonights game on deck (also 4-1 at Kansas)
2 rings

K @ Duke
too many seasons smh go away Coach K.
12-2 in the Elite 8 (jesus)
5 rings

Slick Rick @ Louisville
15 seasons
3-3 in Elite 8 (also 3-2 at Kentucky)
1 ring (also 1 Kentucky ring)

Nosepicker @ Syracuse - wiki has 3 of his mid-00s seasons wiped for NCAA issues so im not sure what happened in those years
like 40 seasons
4-2 in Elite 8 w/ the game tonight on deck (can't believe he's only been 7 times)
1 ring

Crean @ Indiana - did have to do some rebuilding after NCAA issues but once he got it together he still hasn't been able to perform in the tournament. this season saved his ass imo.
8 seasons
no Elite 8 apperances
no ring

Izzo @ Mich St - it's not a blueblood but people consider him an elite coach now
20 seasons
7-2 in Elite 8
1 ring

so like it's not terrible for Self considering he's taken 3 schools to Elite 8s and he gets there at a reasonable clip. But once he gets there good fucking luck. it really gets a bit suspect. out of the blueblood bunch right now i'd only say he's better than Boeheim (never bet on Cuse in the tourney) and comfortably Crean.

didn't bother w/ UCLA because I know their coach & program aint shit.

if i had time i'd check out how each coach/team did against seed in the years they didn't reach the Elite 8. maybe in the offseason while we're waiting on the new thread.

Damn, those numbers are much better than I was expecting. 2-4 does looks pretty bad now. It's going to be a really interesting coaching landscape in 10 years when most of those guys are gone.

Eh, UNC is still a legit team this year. Pretty impressive run through the ACC season and tournament, except for a couple of head-scratchers like melting down against us (and almost twice). Give 'em some credit.

Bentil and Dunn
Troy Williams and Yogi (you didnt say they had to be good starters in their case)

shit the only future starter we got is Brice.

Homeless man's Dante Cunningham will not be a starter in the league, that's preposterous. And Yogi Ferrell will be playing for Zalgiris Kaunas in 3 years. Believe that.

People seem to forget that that Butler team made it to the championship game again, after they lost an all-star caliber player in Gordon Hayward. That team was legitimately great.

DominoKid

Darren Rovell ‏@darrenrovell 13m13 minutes ago
BET OF THE NIGHT: At the start of the 2nd half, a bettor bet $2,400 on Virginia to win straight up at @WilliamHillUS. Would have won $80.

02iTYvL.png

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Eh, UNC is still a legit team this year. Pretty impressive run through the ACC season and tournament, except for a couple of head-scratchers like melting down against us (and almost twice). Give 'em some credit.

I agree, its been a very good UNC team since the 2nd Duke game. They bought in, everyone knows their roles, they can shoot the 3 and defend. They were always good enough to beat anyone in the tourney, I'll never say otherwise. But as its shaped up, they aren't going to be challenged by anyone until the title game, not talent for talent, best vs best anyway.

My point is that Duke 2010 was a really good team post Georgetown. They only lost one game since that one and that was an extremely competitive game vs Greivis Vasquez and UMD. People just see "lol Duke barely beat Butler for the title" and really didn't pay attention to the tourney as a whole. Butler was better than a lot of teams that year, was ranked in the top 25 and had a ridiculous win streak going into the dance. Everyone had their hopes pinned on John Wall and UK and when WVU bounced them (WVU was a 2 seed btw) everyone said it was a cakewalk. Duke didn't coast to any of those wins, and they probably had a better margin of victory last year.

DominoKid

I agree, its been a very good UNC team since the 2nd Duke game. They bought in, everyone knows their roles, they can shoot the 3 and defend. They were always good enough to beat anyone in the tourney, I'll never say otherwise. But as its shaped up, they aren't going to be challenged by anyone until the title game, not talent for talent, best vs best anyway.

My point is that Duke 2010 was a really good team post Georgetown. They only lost one game since that one and that was an extremely competitive game vs Greivis Vasquez and UMD. People just see "lol Duke barely beat Butler for the title" and really didn't pay attention to the tourney as a whole. Butler was better than a lot of teams that year, was ranked in the top 25 and had a ridiculous win streak going into the dance. Everyone had their hopes pinned on John Wall and UK and when WVU bounced them (WVU was a 2 seed btw) everyone said it was a cakewalk. Duke didn't coast to any of those wins, and they probably had a better margin of victory last year.

protip: just say something like "don't matter. still won." it's like sex. as long as you aint paying or taking it nobody can really clown how you get there.

As a person who lives in Syracuse, goes to the University, & has followed the team all year, I need to say, this team does suck. Still in the Final Four though LOL

DominoKid

Darren Rovell ‏@darrenrovell 14m14 minutes ago
Each ACC school will receive at least $2,657,910 (paid out over 6 years) from the conference's performance in this year's NCAA Tournament

ew can we make BC and some of these other cellar dwellers return their share?

ryseing

Darren Rovell ‏@darrenrovell 14m14 minutes ago
Each ACC school will receive at least $2,657,910 (paid out over 6 years) from the conference's performance in this year's NCAA Tournament

We need that money for Gottfried's buyout.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
We need that money for Gottfried's buyout.

Seriously tho, whats with all the transfers and kids leaving early that have no business leaving early (not talking about Cat). Gottfried can recruit, far better than Herb did, but he has trouble keeping players. I heard something like none of the players hes recruited to state have made it to their senior years?

DominoKid

Seriously tho, whats with all the transfers and kids leaving early that have no business leaving early (not talking about Cat). Gottfried can recruit, far better than Herb did, but he has trouble keeping players. I heard something like none of the players hes recruited to state have made it to their senior years?

He's fucking all of their girlfriends. That's the only answer. Otherwise he really is just that shit of a coach.

ryseing

Hence the increased calls for his firing in the last week despite his decent performance thus far. For the record, we've had 10 transfers since Gott's arrival, including the transfer of the twins last week. A couple of those were understandable- one kid left because of family and a couple were Lowe's guys so didn't really fit. Some of them made no sense including Purvis and now the twins. Honestly, I think it goes back to Gott's second season where the team was ranked top 10 preseason and imploded thanks to poor chemistry (CJ Leslie was quite possibly the whiniest star we've ever had). I think Gott can talk the recruiting talk fairly well but can't deliver on the actual coaching part, especially when he's up against two HoFers in his backyard. The European guy that left actually said as much.

Heard this on PackPride

"Man, with all these transfers and guys leaving early we're just like Kentucky! Except the whole, being good at basketball part."

It hurts. PP does deliver on occasion.

#archiewillsaveus

Jonm1010

Banned
Hield will go top 10, but I think he's going to top out as a Jamal Crawford type sixth man that can get you quick buckets against 2nd units. A valuable rotational player, but he's not going to be a superstar IMO. I would take both Ingram and Simmons over him for sure, and probably Bender and Murray. But after that, wouldn't be surprised to see him go anywhere from 5-8. Think he'd fit well on the Wolves, Pelicans, or Kings (Kings would prob ruin him though trying to shoehorn him into the superstar 2G role like they did with McLenore and Stauskas).

Crawford has always been a high volume, low efficiency player.

If he becomes Crawford I think he would have somehow regressed quite tremendously in his shot selection and shot IQ which is frankly pretty elite right now.

I would say a better JJ Redick would be a more apt comparison but still not quite perfect. Hield is undersized for height but his wingspan at 8'8.5 puts him right in the middle of NBA SG's according to Nylon Calculus.

Bowser

ND played pretty much a perfect half and are still down 5. Hopefully some of these crazy shots with <5 on the clock stop going down, forcing them to speed up the game.

Lkr

Darren Rovell &#8207;@darrenrovell 14m14 minutes ago

be careful, you might have to give your BCS/CFP payouts back to the schools that got you that money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom