• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2010-2011 Season OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
DY_nasty said:
Emo Turner happened during the summer league and combine. I still think he'll 'wake up' one day, but Doug Collins isn't exactly the guy to pick a rookie up.

Barnes just looks like he doesn't fit in this offense at all. 10 turnovers for UNC so far...

I don't want to blame Doug for all of his shit but yeah Kwame Brown says otherwise ( although Jordan's shower rape couldn't have helped either).

as for Barnes it doesn't help that Larry Drew is the worst starting point guard I have ever seen.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
truly101 said:
Wait did Henson hurt himself pounding his chest? :lol :lol :lol :lol
All UNC PFs break their wrists/hands at one some point. Its a rite of passage.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DY_nasty said:
All UNC PFs break their wrists/hands at one some point. Its a rite of passage.
He's having a good game and I think he'll be a good player is all is said and done, but he excels in making an ass out of himself. Like I could see him throw down a monster dunk only to trip over his own feet strutting down the court.

NewLib

Banned
North Carolina, Im rooting for you. The SEC outside of the Big Four (UK, UT, UF, and Vanderbilt) looks like another shit show this year and thus we UK needs some OOC opponents that actually hold up this year.

DY_nasty

truly101 said:
He's having a good game and I think he'll be a good player is all is said and done, but he excels in making an ass out of himself. Like I could see him throw down a monster dunk only to trip over his own feet strutting down the court.
He's weird... reminds me of smaller, more skilled, less athletic Tyrus Thomas. But yeah he's definitely got to grow into himself.

Talon

DY_nasty said:
He's weird... reminds me of smaller, more skilled, less athletic Tyrus Thomas. But yeah he's definitely got to grow into himself.
I feel like Brandon Wright is the more obvious comparison...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Talon- said:

Wright had a far better offensive skill set than Henson, he didn't do himself any favors going to a squad with an established 5 along with two other newly recruited highly ranked post players as well.

DY_nasty

Talon- said:
Brandan Wright was at least a somewhat traditional PF. Henson just... he's just weird to watch.

omfg... i hate larry drew

DY_nasty

Who's dick do I have to suck to be a starting PG for a big school like UNC?

Talon

truly101 said:
Wright had a far better offensive skill set than Henson, he didn't do himself any favors going to a squad with an established 5 along with two other newly recruited highly ranked post players as well.
I don't know if that's true. He relied on put backs and hustle for a lot of his points. Dude could not create his own shot.

Just an athletic freak.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Marshall is not a 5 star PG, but he's so much better than turnover jesus...I'm glad that Huckleberry is stubborn or stupid or both.

DY_nasty

truly101 said:
Marshall is not a 5 star PG, but he's so much better than turnover jesus...I'm glad that Huckleberry is stubborn or stupid or both.
I'd rather see him travel non-stop and learn from his mistakes than watch Drew get progressively dumber as the game goes on...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Talon- said:
I don't know if that's true. He relied on put backs and hustle for a lot of his points. Dude could not create his own shot.

Just an athletic freak.

Thats really all Hansbrough did his career, though he had a bit more range and muscle. You don't have to create your own shot playing the post in college, just clean up the shit and put in the easy dishes...and make FTs.

NewLib

Banned
DY_nasty said:
I'd rather see him travel non-stop and learn from his mistakes than watch Drew get progressively dumber as the game goes on...

When is Roy going to learn that it doesnt matter how many 5 star big men you recruit if Larry Drew is giving them the ball.

Talon

truly101 said:
Thats really all Hansbrough did his career, though he had a bit more range and muscle. You don't have to create your own shot playing the post in college, just clean up the shit and put in the easy dishes...and make FTs.
You and I know this isn't true. Hansbrough developed a reliable post game through his sophomore year, and he got that 15-18 foot jumper down pat his junior and senior years.

Yeah, his hustle was his defining trait due to his lack of size and mediocre athleticism, but he knew his way around the basket. You don't become NPOY on only hustle.

jakncoke

Banned
lol shot clock violation and Freeman was totally oblivious to the matter :lol

Edit: wtf why does it have to get choppy now..fucking espn3 DICKS.

Bowser

truly101 said:
stupid Illini fans, UNC ISN'T rated, you morons.

I thought they were chanting overrated at Barnes, but it makes more sense to be chanting at the team as a whole.

Looks like this year has been reduced to me hoping we don't get blown out by Dook again.

DY_nasty said:

He's exactly the same as the guy the Jazz picked in the second round this year, Jeremy Evans.

Which is weird because I hadn't seen a player like them before this year.

Bowser said:
I thought they were chanting overrated at Barnes, but it makes more sense to be chanting at the team as a whole.

Looks like this year has been reduced to me hoping we don't get blown out by Dook again.
Not so sure about that. Your team is raw, but I wouldn't stick the fork in them just yet. They've hung around pretty nicely tonight, despite Illinois wanting to blow them out of the gym the whole second half.

Wait and see how they look in February.

DY_nasty

I'm not pissed at Roy yet, but geez... give Barnes the ball. These point guards are shit and he's probably the smartest guy on the team to begin with.

Bowser

They are directing the overrated chants at Barnes. Poor guy didn't come in all cocky acting like he was going to own college BB, not his fault he was hyped by fans and the media.

You know, if MD had played like this against Texas the Illini would've won that game going away.

(instead he was passive and invisible)

DY_nasty

Bowser said:
They are directing the overrated chants at Barnes. Poor guy didn't come in all cocky acting like he was going to own college BB, not his fault he was hyped by fans and the media.
Certainly isn't his fault that Roy won't let him do what he knows how to do.

Sucks even more than Larry Drew III is his point guard, goddamn

Good game, Carolina fans. I didn't see the Minny game, so no comment on that... but don't mail in the season just yet, you might be surprised.

Illinois played better tonight than they did against Texas. They were at home, which might've been the reason -- but take that for what it's worth.

Proelite

North Carolina playing improved bball compared to Puerto Rico. Staying withing 15 points against an opponent playing at home and shooting over 50% from the 3 is not a bad effort.

What I don't get is why Roy Williams has 4 timeouts remaining at the end of games.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Proelite said:
North Carolina playing improved bball compared to Puerto Rico. Staying withing 15 points against an opponent playing at home and shooting over 50% from the 3 is not a bad effort.

What I don't get is why Roy Williams has 4 timeouts remaining at the end of games.

Roy doesn't know how to use a timeout to save his life. Barnes seemed to be loosening up a bit in the 2nd half but gets yanked with about 6 minutes left and the sheep down by 10? You could see the look on his face that he wasn't happy.

Also the Illinois fans did the overrated chant again about a minute left and Barnes wasn't even on the floor. At least the didn't rush the court.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Bowser said:

Yeah, but you don't skype your recruiting announcement as a big deal for ESPNU and not expect the hype and pressure and media scrutiny, surely he is not that naive. He also knows with the way that superstar freshmen only stay 1-2 years, the sports media is going to cover them like crazy, there are too many examples of this. Barnes may not have been mr cocky, but he had to know that being the number 1 player, playing for one of the most storied programs in CBB, having just emerged from a well publicized recruiting war with another blue blood, struggling program yada yada, you know the story. He was originally billed as our savior before he jumped ship and our program no longer needed saving, now its UNCs turn.

The media is to blame for a good portion of it, SI's best freshman ever? Thats the dumbest thing I'd ever heard. But, his idol would have relished this challenge, all alpha dog players do. If he wants to be "that dude" or "black falcon" or whatever nickname he gives himself, he needs to be way more assertive. Your team has NO leader on the court right now. Mr Barnes, step the fuck up.

Seth C

truly101 said:
Roy doesn't know how to use a timeout to save his life. Barnes seemed to be loosening up a bit in the 2nd half but gets yanked with about 6 minutes left and the sheep down by 10? You could see the look on his face that he wasn't happy.

Also the Illinois fans did the overrated chant again about a minute left and Barnes wasn't even on the floor. At least the didn't rush the court.

Tubby always liked to hold on to his. I hear at the end of the season he cashed them in for airline points.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I know Clemson isn't exactly a top 10 opponent but it was still a big road win for an extremely young Wolverines team tonight.

SyNapSe

Lots of good games on last night and I fell asleep :(
Saw Gtown vs Mizzou at half and then switched to watching Illini-UNC. McCamey was playing really well at the time.

I get up this morning and check the scores and Gtown vs Mizzou ends up 111-102 in OT? Wowza. My first thought was, well, you can give Mizzou some credit for getting Gtown out of their normal style of play. You have to assume if you can get a team to play your tempo, you normally will have a better shot of winning. I thought I'd check the box score to see if Gtown was really hot from 3.

They were pretty hot from 3 at 46%. 18-18 Free throws. 56% from the field but that's a bit expected when you score 111 points, you had to get a lot of easy layups. As I'm looking at the boxscore it's pretty clear Gtown played more guys. Mizzou mostly played 5 guys the whole game. 2 reserves got 11 and 12 minutes. I wonder what is going on there? Do they have injuries? I know that one 5-star recruit didn't clear academically but if that's how deep you are then you need to slow the game down.

jakncoke said:
Tonight better not be like last year, being down to Duquesne by 16 at one point was a very unpleasant experience

Sadly it seems like these games are ALWAYS closer than they need to be. Pitt needs to beat the dukes by 30 if they want to be considered the 3rd best team in the country.

vas_a_morir said:
Catspause is the worst forum on the internet. I am shocked by the sheer stupidity displayed by the posters there.

Any specific teams forums are terrible. I cant even read the Ohio St ones any more, every day its about firing Tressel or Matta, its such a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom