• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2010-2011 Season OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
kkaabboomm said:
i hope you're not being serious, i havent looked at the box score from tonight to see if you are or not. but i really hope you're not being serious.

oh, and fuck duke. besides that, i'll be back saturday to comment on how much better terrance jones is than harrison barnes.

You need to wait to Saturday to do that? Oh and fuck UK/Calamari

I think as a team MSU played better than Duke did. They rebounded better, ran their offense more efficiently, forced Duke into bad shots, actually got to the foul bonus before Duke did (but Duke gets all the calls?!?!?!) really Irving was the difference here. Despite the 2 loses, I think Michigan State has less work to do than Duke does, turnovers were their only issue.

SyNapSe

Dark FaZe said:
so howz dat harrison barnes

8de09-NotSureIfSerious.jpg

jayhawker

It was a debatable call, but it was also debatable when the refs didn't call the bump on Reed that led to the steal and three to tie it.

devilhawk

jayhawker said:
It was a debatable call, but it was also debatable when the refs didn't call the bump on Reed that led to the steal and three to tie it.
Definitely didn't "get the call" there.

devilhawk

caliblue15 said:
Hometown refs don't give you ALL the calls but the majority. Don't deny it doesn't happen, it happens at every home game.
Never said otherwise. Don't think that it doesn't happen at the Octagon either.

LegoDad

devilhawk said:
Never said otherwise. Don't think that it doesn't happen at the Octagon either.

It does, just not against KU, maybe this year we will get the calls since we were favored. :D

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
caliblue15 said:
Welcome to watching KU/Duke basketball, they will always get the call.

Its a (not so) secret cabal between the NCAA, CBS and the Illuminati to ensure that we get all the calls because it makes everyone more money, even though everyone hates us. I was told by UNC fans that it was painfully obvious that Wednesday nights outcome was scripted, look no further than the number of FTs Duke attempted vs Sparty, even Yahoo sports can't ignore such an obvious bias. Of course lets ignore the following facts like:

1. MSU got to the bonus before Duke did

2. The foul differential was 9, 25 called on MSU, 16 on Duke. When you consider that MSU fouled Duke at least 5 times in the final minute to stop the clock, it doesn't look so egregious.

3. Duke finally has a pro caliber PG that excels in attacking the basket and drawing contact while shooting, Kyrie had 16 attempts in that game, almost double the next closest player, Nolan Smith with 10.

But still, the Refs are in the tank for Duke, FTs attempted PROVES it! Of course when you mention that UNC lead the nation in FTs taken during 2009 (Hansbrough and Lawson got there a lot) well then FTs attempted doesn't mean anything except that UNC is superiorly talented.

Anyway, carry on.

Bowser

Man, I wish we had Irving instead of Barnes. Not because he's looked better than Barnes so far (he is, no question), but because he seems like a natural fit at PG in Roy's system. Hope Barnes can finally break out against UK. He just needs to stop pressing.

LegoDad

truly101 said:
Its a (not so) secret cabal between the NCAA, CBS and the Illuminati to ensure that we get all the calls because it makes everyone more money, even though everyone hates us. I was told by UNC fans that it was painfully obvious that Wednesday nights outcome was scripted, look no further than the number of FTs Duke attempted vs Sparty, even Yahoo sports can't ignore such an obvious bias. Of course lets ignore the following facts like:

1. MSU got to the bonus before Duke did

2. The foul differential was 9, 25 called on MSU, 16 on Duke. When you consider that MSU fouled Duke at least 5 times in the final minute to stop the clock, it doesn't look so egregious.

3. Duke finally has a pro caliber PG that excels in attacking the basket and drawing contact while shooting, Kyrie had 16 attempts in that game, almost double the next closest player, Nolan Smith with 10.

But still, the Refs are in the tank for Duke, FTs attempted PROVES it! Of course when you mention that UNC lead the nation in FTs taken during 2009 (Hansbrough and Lawson got there a lot) well then FTs attempted doesn't mean anything except that UNC is superiorly talented.

Anyway, carry on.

The difference in fouls is never a good way, because you can add non shooting, tick tacky fouls to keep the foul count close.

Getting to the bonus first doesn't guarantee actually shooting the ball for a free throw though.

It's an endless debate that the schools called out will never see, or agree on.

Agree to disagree.

Seth C

caliblue15 said:
The difference in fouls is never a good way, because you can add non shooting, tick tacky fouls to keep the foul count close.

Getting to the bonus first doesn't guarantee actually shooting the ball for a free throw though.

Agree to disagree.

The best way to compare is free throws attempted at home versus away, for a season. If there is a very large difference then the team gets solid home cooking. I'm bored at work so I ran the numbers from last year for three teams:

Duke
Home: 24.5
Away: 21
Favoritism: +3.5

Kansas
Home: 25.36
Away: 23.36
Favoritism: +2

Kentucky
Home: 26.16
Away: 23.66
Favoritism: +2.5

What's interesting is that when you add in the neutral court appearances (21.2, 22, 26) you see that while Duke gets even treatment on the road and at neutral courts, Kansas gets even worse treatment at neutral courts than they do on the road, and Kentucky is the odd man out, getting statistically identical treatment on neutral courts as at home.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
caliblue15 said:

Agree to disagree.

The other issue is that fans of said teams have seen it happen several times to their teams as well, but it never gets any fanfair or publicity. Nobody remembers Indiana mugging Carlos Boozer as he went up for a go ahead shot at the end of that sweet 16 game, no call. on the opposite end, the refs decided to call a foul on every Duke player within 2 feet of Okafor in 2004, they did this within the last 2 minutes of the game when Duke had a 8 pt lead. Both Shelden Wlliams and Shavlik Randolph fouled out, we had nobody to stop Okafor and it wouldn't have mattered as they would call the slightest contact on him anyway.

Getting to the bonus first generally means shooting free throws first and it did for MSU on Wednesday. You're not going to get a lot of non shooting fouls particularly when your past the 7-10 foul range, its pretty rare.

Foul differential to me does make a difference, as those fouls add up quick and can limit the effectiveness of a player. Second, it seems disingenuous to simply look at one stat (number of FTs taken here) and taking it out of context to tell whatever story fits their agenda. Sure, seeing that Duke took 33 FTs and MSU took 15 looks terrible, complete home cooking, but then you see the foul differential is only 9 (knowing at least 5 of those committed in the last minute or so) and then you see that the Duke PG attempted 16FTs, far more than any other Duke player. Whats the real story here, K intimidated the refs for the umpteenth time or Kyrie Irving took advantage of his quickness to drive and draw contact?

I'm not naive enough to think that home court advantage doesn't play into fouls called and that Duke has not benefitted from it. There are stats out there that show most of your perennial top 25 teams benefit from home officiating and foul differential, its not unique to Duke at all. You just have a select group of morons out there that truly believe that Duke couldn't win a game cleanly without the refs help, and point to FTs attempted to somehow validate this. This is more aggrevating when their own team has very similar stats when it comes to fouls.

NewLib

Banned
jjasper said:
Any chance Kanter can just say his dad dealt with the money and he didn't know about it?

That is the rumor on what new information Kentucky decided to give to the NCAA.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
caliblue15 said:

Agree to disagree.

Right, just like how the government planned 9/11 and the Kennedy assassination was an inside job. The fact that you can't prove a conspiracy theory like "school X gets all the calls!" only proves it further!

jjasper said:
Any chance Kanter can just say his dad dealt with the money and he didn't know about it?

Yeah, it's a complete crock of shit. The Auburn situation might be the best thing to happen to UK this year, haha

Kansas State is just not a great team without Clemente. Jacob Pullen is still struggling

edit: I changed good to great because they are a good team, just not top 20 imo

perfectchaos007 said:
Kansas State is just not a great team without Clemente. Jacob Pullen is still struggling

Have watched the whole game and both teams have been awful. Half the the possesions have ended in a turnover or missed ft.

KSU is clearly over rated but damn they have a ton of 6-5, 6-6 athletes on the team. Should be a lot better by the end of the year.

NewLib said:
That is the rumor on what new information Kentucky decided to give to the NCAA.
except in an appeal no new evidence is looked at

edit: i see sandy bell's magic fax machine can fax checks to ncaa HQ

LegoDad

perfectchaos007 said:

K-State is very young and the immaturity shines though alot. I really hope Pullen and Kelly can step up and get this team together.

KSU also always plays rough, they don't look good, but get the job done. They also have beaten two top 25 teams already, handily. So they top 20 is a little low, but I don't think they are top 5 material, but I thought the same thing last year.

LegoDad

Nerevar said:
Right, just like how the government planned 9/11 and the Kennedy assassination was an inside job. The fact that you can't prove a conspiracy theory like "school X gets all the calls!" only proves it further!

I just see no reason to debate it, because no one on either side will agree, which is why I said agree to disagree, move on.

jjasper

vas_a_morir said:
Yeah, it's a complete crock of shit. The Auburn situation might be the best thing to happen to UK this year, haha

Pretty much. And pretty much every player that has been rule ineligible. NCAA opened up a huge mess for themselves.

Seth C

jjasper said:
Pretty much. And pretty much every player that has been rule ineligible. NCAA opened up a huge mess for themselves.

Don't worry. Kanter still won't be cleared to play. He's at Kentucky, after all. Will be probably have to vacate the season just for having him sitting on the bench at home games.

NewLib

Banned
I dont think you could find two more opposite teams. Kentucky has no post presence whatsoever and North Carolina has the shittiest guards I have seen for a major college basketball program.

Bowser

NewLib said:
I dont think you could find two more opposite teams. Kentucky has no post presence whatsoever and North Carolina has the shittiest guards I have seen for a major college basketball program.

And yet Roy still has yet to offer an elite PG (Rodney Purvis plz).

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
NewLib said:
Turnover Jesus

#based

its crazy how strickland and drew just freeze barnes out...

DY_nasty

How a school like UNC can have the worst guards in the nation is mind-boggling...

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Amaker continues to haunt Michigan from beyond the grave. Hasn't he done enough damage already?

DY_nasty

At least UNC's defense seems to be back...

Hack-a-Henson uggggggggggggggghh

omfg these unc guards are clowns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom