• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2010-2011 Season OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silkworm

Should be interesting to see if FSU can maintain a competitive game against Duke. They've been able to do so in the past so it's not entirely out of the question (and so far they look to being doing well). An FSU win would help UF's SOS/RPI, but then again I can't say I would be that upset with FSU going on to a 3 game losing streak ;-) Still can't understand why FSU lost to Auburn. :p

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
ugly start...I still think we're dropping this one tonight. Team looks uninspired and not answering FSU's challenge. I'm cool with it since last years team really did grow from those losses to NCSU, Gtown and UMD

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Silkworm said:
Down by only 4 at the half despite hitting 28% for the half. Duke will be fine in the 2nd half :)

Did you see the UMD game? This is Duke's first true road game, and it shows.

Silkworm

truly101 said:
Did you see the UMD game? This is Duke's first true road game, and it shows.
No, but I know that that was a close game that Duke still won. But I suppose if they do lose tonight, it will be a "teaching moment" type of game similar to what you mentioned with their loses last year and that turned out pretty well for Duke in the end (still, if they had a healthy Kyrie Irving, I doubt they'd need any sort of "teaching moments") :)

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Duke exposed once again. No inside play, when the 3s don't drop we have nothing without KI.

EDIT man GAF really doesn't give a shit about NCAA BB I guess

Seth C

What a sad night for college basketball fans. :(

bucknuticus said:
And youre new number 1 team in the nation is............ The Ohio State University.

Damn. And no SEC schools coming up on their schedule.

jakncoke

Banned
truly101 said:
Duke exposed once again. No inside play, when the 3s don't drop we have nothing without KI.

EDIT man GAF really doesn't give a shit about NCAA BB I guess

This is fact, there is 300+ teams, 30 game schedule and I think the biggest season thread is like 3800 posts, thats very small. Most of gaf like the rest of the nation doesn't show interest in college bb till March Madness.

SyNapSe

jakncoke said:
This is fact, there is 300+ teams, 30 game schedule and I think the biggest season thread is like 3800 posts, thats very small. Most of gaf like the rest of the nation doesn't show interest in college bb till March Madness.

I think basketball is the second most popular sport in America anymore but College and even NBA hoops suffer a bit for having the starting point of their sport essentially lining up with the college and pro football finales and playoffs. They also suffer from having far too many games :( As a chitlin' I loved the NBA but the # of games is silly even if you ignore how many teams make the playoffs.

College hoops has just added more and more games, of course, it makes more money. Still, Duke lost to FSU last night but why watch? Duke will still make the tourney, probably even as a #1. Football has become king because any loss could end your season (effectively, if your goal was a championship).

via the NCAA tourney, it's clear people enjoy basketball in a 1 and done type format. I love football best, but it's pretty clear a lot of the reason is the all or nothing feel to games. Even in the NFL, I guess that's why they didn't like having teams shut down and not show with a 14-0 record for the season.

pxleyes

Banned
bucknuticus said:
We already beat UF earlier this year :p
Hope we get another crack at you guys in March, but you guys were clearly leaps and bounds ahead of us that day. OSU is for real this year.

bluemax

Banned
This Oregon opening ceremony for their new arena is one of the most self indulgent things I've ever watched.

Also it's ugly as fuck and I hope we beat the shit out of the ducks tonight.

And now there are fat guys dancing. This just got embarrassing.

Bowser

Heels come back from 16 down in the first half to take down Va Tech. Good to see the heart to come back, but man, I wonder when we're going to get back to 07-09 levels :(

DominoKid

we have the players. they just arent being played properly

Marshall/Bullock/Barnes need to be playing together, with the majority of the 1-2-3 minutes.

Strickland and McDonald to spell them when tired.

Drew should be planted firmly on the bench.

bluemax said:
This Oregon opening ceremony for their new arena is one of the most self indulgent things I've ever watched.

Also it's ugly as fuck
Just switched over to check out the court - it looks awful. Kind of a strain to watch it on tv.

Cal up 10 on WSU at HT. Hope they can close this out. The team has actually been playing a bit better since Gary Franklin took off to Baylor. Crabbe finally starting to score some points.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Look out, NCAA. After smacking Temple around, Duquesne is playing with a serious fire and they could very well be on a 9-game streak with a 6-0 conference record going into the game against Dayton on January 30th.

louisville came back from a billion down to win in the last minute. tennessee came back from a billion down to win in the last minute. i was all set for an 'all smiles' afternoon, and now i have a scowl. at least duke and florida are currently losing.

uk tipoff at 4!

Cubsfan23

Banned
kkaabboomm said:
louisville came back from a billion down to win in the last minute. tennessee came back from a billion down to win in the last minute. i was all set for an 'all smiles' afternoon, and now i have a scowl. at least duke and florida are currently losing.

uk tipoff at 4!

only means UK will lose

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I was reasonably calm during the FSU choke but I was pretty angry during half time of this one. Finally the team woke up about midway second half and decided they wanted to win. UVA is not a pushover like last year.

Proelite

DominoKid said:
unless one of Duke's big whites becomes Zoubek 2.0, Duke aint winning the title this year. with or without Kyrie.

I agree without Kyrie we don't have much chance, but with Kyrie, we have a credible chance, just like we did last year, abet playing in a completely different style of offense and defense. Kyrie's ability to drive at will creates so much for our bigs. Mason was averaging 10pts a game before Kyrie went down, and now he is averaging barely 3.

Once again, no team in history, post UCLA era, is favored to win the title against the other 63 teams. Without Kyrie we have about a 5% chance, with Kyrie maybe 10%. Duke last year had about 17% chance to win it all according to KenPom.

Bowser said:
Heels come back from 16 down in the first half to take down Va Tech. Good to see the heart to come back, but man, I wonder when we're going to get back to 07-09 levels :(

Thats's been my thought lately. I know you need a year to rebuild a bit after a championship, but I'm not used to droughts like this. I'm used to being a contender year in and year out :(

jjasper

Glad this team has taken the next step and instead of just being wildly inconsistent game to game they are now doing it by the half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom