• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2010-2011 Season OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go figure this season...

I wonder if there has ever been a week where all of the top 4 teams lost a game in the same week. Could be the top 5 teams if Duke loses tonight, but they have an easy home game against GT so that shouldn't happen.

osmosis

Neo Member
perfectchaos007 said:
Go figure this season...

I wonder if there has ever been a week where all of the top 4 teams lost a game in the same week. Could be the top 5 teams if Duke loses tonight, but they have an easy home game against GT so that shouldn't happen.

Saw on ESPN that the last time this happened was 2002.

I think we may lose at Penn St, I said at the beginning of the season we will lose 3-4 games, at Wisconsin i had as a L, at Purdue was a loss I thought maybe but wast sure, then 1 or 2 losses on the road to teams we shouldn't lose to. Still think this team ends with 3 losses, either regular season or big 10 tourney.

osmosis

Neo Member
Still can't get over Moore's performance today. Very quietly became the 4th player in Big 10 history with 2000 points, 500 rebounds and 350 assists. Was in awe over the atmosphere in Mackey too. Definitely think that made a significant difference for us. Had a bunch of recruits/committs in house as well. Pretty much the perfect game for potential recruits to attend.

Even though Sullinger made both free throws, I laughed my ass off that this effort by the Paint Crew http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h27NIkjnMRY

As for rankings in the upcoming week, I think an argument could be made for any one of the top 5 teams. Doesn't seem like a lot separates any one of them at that point. Really no invincible teams this year.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Still not into Basketball much, but saw this photo at an Alabama blog and chuckled

56663_arkansas_alabama_basketball.jpg

Kansas above us makes me lol so hard, I'll give you dook but not ku, both of their losses weren't that good and we have better wins, and play in a tougher conference than ku.

bucknuticus said:
Kansas above us makes me lol so hard, I'll give you dook but not ku, both of their losses weren't that good and we have better wins, and play in a tougher conference than ku.

not if you look at Big 12 vs. Big 10 head to head records this year.

Yeah well espn and computers tell me it is, and all my opinions on anything are based on those two things. :p regardless or not over which conference is better it's still a joke ku is ahead of us. They get blown out by ut at home and absolutely get rolled by Ksu. Our 2 losses were at two of the hardest places to play. And who's ku's signature win? Arizona? Pff

bucknuticus said:
Yeah well espn and computers tell me it is, and all my opinions on anything are based on those two things. :p regardless or not over which conference is better it's still a joke ku is ahead of us. They get blown out by ut at home and absolutely get rolled by Ksu. Our 2 losses were at two of the hardest places to play. And who's ku's signature win? Arizona? Pff

After looking at teams records, I find out there were only six matchups between the Big 10 and Big 12 this season. The Big 12 won all 6. Because there were only 6 matchups I can't say that yeah the Big 12 is definitely better, but the conference strengths of the two are probably a lot closer than you think.

well here you go!

AP:
1 Duke (35)
2 Ohio State (10)
3 Kansas (5)
4 Pittsburgh (12)
5 Texas (1)
6 San Diego State
7 Brigham Young (2)

Jay Sosa

Lonestar said:
Still not into Basketball much, but saw this photo at an Alabama blog and chuckled

56663_arkansas_alabama_basketball.jpg

rofl what an awesome photo, just look at his facial expression. Anyway.. just wanted to post that UNC's Marshall is fucking amazing..

jakncoke

Banned
lol somehow as 12 pt victory over South Florida and a close loss to St.Johns gave us 6 more first place votes in the AP, although our overall pts dropped by 26

So whos the #1 seeds.

I still think OSU is the #1 overall, when you look at the entire body of work their still the team. Other number ones would be Duke, Pitt, then Texas/SDSU/KU, with I think Texas getting the nod.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Number one ranking going into Blacksburg against a team desperate for a signature win for the NCAA tourney....

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Pleasantly surprised with the maturity that this Florida team has showed. SEC may be a middling basketball conference, but the Gators are doing well nonetheless.

The pessimist in me anticipates an early round exit from the tourney anyway.

Silkworm

Kill The Bat said:
Pleasantly surprised with the maturity that this Florida team has showed. SEC may be a middling basketball conference, but the Gators are doing well nonetheless.

The pessimist in me anticipates an early round exit from the tourney anyway.
In address to your spoiler, that may be true if Parsons doesn't fully recover by that time. UF was able to win against LSU despite his absence, but against UGA, Vandy, UK and Alabama, I would really like to see Parsons back 100% to help lock up 1st seed in the SEC East (and maybe an overall SEC conference regular season title if they'd be so fortunate). But, we'll just have to wait and see. With the dreaded Thurs-Sat-Tues upcoming game schedule against UGA, @UK, and Bama, things could get ugly quickly (at least they're pretty much a lock to get into the NCAA tournament *fingers crossed, no wammy!*).

Silkworm said:
In address to your spoiler, that may be true if Parsons doesn't fully recover by that time. UF was able to win against LSU despite his absence, but against UGA, Vandy, UK and Alabama, I would really like to see Parsons back 100% to help lock up 1st seed in the SEC East (and maybe an overall SEC conference regular season title if they'd be so fortunate). But, we'll just have to wait and see. With the dreaded Thurs-Sat-Tues upcoming game schedule against UGA, @UK, and Bama, things could get ugly quickly (at least they're pretty much a lock to get into the NCAA tournament *fingers crossed, no wammy!*).

I think Kentucky may be one game the Gators drop, especially playing on the road. I'm hoping Parsons will be healthy soon, as he's really developed into a key player for the team. And at this point, I don't anticipate Florida dropping from the tourney. I'd say they are a lock by this point.

SyNapSe

bucknuticus said:
So whos the #1 seeds.

I still think OSU is the #1 overall, when you look at the entire body of work their still the team. Other number ones would be Duke, Pitt, then Texas/SDSU/KU, with I think Texas getting the nod.

I think Duke will be a really tough out but I don't know why you'd pick them definitely over the other 4.

SyNapSe said:
I think Duke will be a really tough out but I don't know why you'd pick them definitely over the other 4.

Well if things stood right now, im not overly impressed with their team, the acc, nor their wins. I could see you lumping them in with that KU/Texas/SDSU/Duke mix, I would probably lean towards that more the more I think of it. If Pitt doesnt lose again or only loses late in the big east tourney they get the nod because the big east is rough.

Silkworm

Kill The Bat said:
I think Kentucky may be one game the Gators drop, especially playing on the road. I'm hoping Parsons will be healthy soon, as he's really developed into a key player for the team. And at this point, I don't anticipate Florida dropping from the tourney. I'd say they are a lock by this point.
I agree that they should be a lock, it's just I didn't want to jinx things and then see UF fall into a 0-5 slump to end the season/SEC tournament and end up in "bubble team" discussions :-o I don't think this team would do that since they've showed enough toughness to win a number of close games, but weirder things have happened. I too don't think beating UK at UK has a high chance of happening, even with a 100% healthy Parsons and company (Macklin took a shot to his right shoulder in the LSU game near the end of the 1st half, but he seemed okay in the 2nd half, even if his shot wasn't falling as well as it had in the 1st half), but I'll still remain cautiously hopeful for a UF win at UK. Likewise playing at Vandy has me pretty worried since Vandy seems to be on a roll lately and their gym is never an easy place to play for visiting teams. Considering Jeffery Taylor from Vandy went 2-12 in his previous game against UF, I don't think he'll have such a bad repeat performance which could make things very difficult for UF. Also of course Vandy (and UK) want payback for their losses in Gainesville. If UF goes 2-2 down the stretch (wins against UGA and Bama) I can live with that :)

LegoDad

SyNapSe said:
wow. Thomas Robinson is in the game! I thought he was out for weeks with the surgery.

Massa Self is amazing with his lies of injuries. Wasn't it a MCL injury then a meniscus, then something else. lol.

SyNapSe

caliblue15 said:
Massa Self is amazing with his lies of injuries. Wasn't it a MCL injury then a meniscus, then something else. lol.

Really? Master - slave, jokes? classy. I doubt you find anything with Self about the injury being MCL. I heard that as well but like normal, I assume it's the twitter peeps trying to get info. out to get hits before the real info. comes out.

Seth C

caliblue15 said:

He also just "indefinitely suspended" someone. I'm guessing that lasts one game, two at most. Until the next big game.

Silkworm said:
I agree that they should be a lock, it's just I didn't want to jinx things and then see UF fall into a 0-5 slump to end the season/SEC tournament and end up in "bubble team" discussions :-o I don't think this team would do that since they've showed enough toughness to win a number of close games, but weirder things have happened. I too don't think beating UK at UK has a high chance of happening, even with a 100% healthy Parsons and company (Macklin took a shot to his right shoulder in the LSU game near the end of the 1st half, but he seemed okay in the 2nd half, even if his shot wasn't falling as well as it had in the 1st half), but I'll still remain cautiously hopeful for a UF win at UK. Likewise playing at Vandy has me pretty worried since Vandy seems to be on a roll lately and their gym is never an easy place to play for visiting teams. Considering Jeffery Taylor from Vandy went 2-12 in his previous game against UF, I don't think he'll have such a bad repeat performance which could make things very difficult for UF. Also of course Vandy (and UK) want payback for their losses in Gainesville. If UF goes 2-2 down the stretch (wins against UGA and Bama) I can live with that :)

Yeah, that would be an unfortunate end, but I don't see that happening, especially after seeing the team overcome some adversity throughout the season. I think two more wins guarantees a spot, even with an abysmal showing in the SEC tournament. Falling at Kentucky wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but I'll take a win if they can make it happen. They're going to need Parsons to do that unless Kentucky decides to play like they're on the road. Vandy will certainly be a tough matchup, but it's definitely a winnable game. Gators just need to play for 40 minutes, which they've done a far better job of this year compared to last year. 2-2 is fine by me, but I'd prefer a better showing, as I'm sure you would.

Just curious, are you a college basketball fan in general, Gators fan, or a UF student?

rockchalk

Neo Member
caliblue15 said:

T-Rob had surgery, but you probably think Self made that up too...

LegoDad

SyNapSe said:
Really? Master - slave, jokes? classy. I doubt you find anything with Self about the injury being MCL. I heard that as well but like normal, I assume it's the twitter peeps trying to get info. out to get hits before the real info. comes out.

The original press release was that is was an MCL, they then changed it. And it's a joke, get over it.

I agree to an extent but that was an awful fucking call in the charge. Sullinger isn't anywhere close to being set. Just sludges over into the lane. Utter crap.

Welp, inevitable.

That we hired Weber over Matta isn't quite Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan bad, but it's at least Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers bad.

Silkworm

Kill The Bat said:
Yeah, that would be an unfortunate end, but I don't see that happening, especially after seeing the team overcome some adversity throughout the season. I think two more wins guarantees a spot, even with an abysmal showing in the SEC tournament. Falling at Kentucky wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but I'll take a win if they can make it happen. They're going to need Parsons to do that unless Kentucky decides to play like they're on the road. Vandy will certainly be a tough matchup, but it's definitely a winnable game. Gators just need to play for 40 minutes, which they've done a far better job of this year compared to last year. 2-2 is fine by me, but I'd prefer a better showing, as I'm sure you would.

Just curious, are you a college basketball fan in general, Gators fan, or a UF student?
Oh, I'm a Gator fan (football, basketball, baseball, etc) :) I graduated from UF, so I have ties to the school and thus root for them. I do watch college sports in general more so than pro sports, with typically more interest in SEC teams. However I must say my interests lie mostly with UF. When UF isn't in the hunt for post-season play, my overall interest in how other teams are fairing isn't nearly what it would be when UF is in the mix.

BTW, I hope UT can beat Vandy tonight to give UF a little more breathing room to clinch the top seed in the SEC East :) So far so good, as the game is pretty close for now with a few minutes left until half-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom