• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2010-2011 Season OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth C

GodfatherX said:
just stating the obvious that UK will be starting 2-3 new kids every year, with that rotation it will be near impossible for Cal to make a Final 4 run, even at Memphis he had players that stuck around to compensate the one and dones, will not happen at UK. Even with that talent I think the nation as a whole, and others here can back me up, don't believe in Cal's ability to actually coach. see that inbound play last night for a perfect example

and the shady part was strictly about the players, rose, camby, bledsoe, kanter ect. I don't even bother calling Cal dirty anymore, it's purely redundant. What Shadiness has Pitino done sans an affair? and how does said affair have any implications to his coaching or the program at all? it doesn't

And what shadiness has Calipari actually been accused of or found guilty of by the NCAA? Damn. Sucks for you. I guess you must loathe that dirty, shady Coach K. He actually played a player who was paid by an agent (and yes, I know Calipari did also...neither coach was found to have knowledge of it)! Meanwhile Cal tried to get Kanter cleared to play the right way, by asking the NCAA for it openly. So shady. Next thing you know he will recruit players that beat up women. Oh wait.

Ah hell, nevermind, the nation as a whole knows Kentucky will be back to a Final Four before Louisville or Pitino anyway. We may be back to the Final Four before Louisville actually manages to beat Kentucky again. Our coach can't coach (according to you), our rotation isn't good enough to get to the Final Four (according to you), and your coach still can't figure out a way to win a game against them. That's so weird. I wish I could figure out what that meant.

Being real though, when you are constantly recruiting top talent, and this goes for every coach who does so, you are absolutely going to be dealing with filth. It can't be avoided because the AAU circuit is nearly overwhelmed with it. I'd be willing to bet there hasn't been a coach who has won the NCAA title in the last 10 who didn't recruit and try to win the services of one of the players you listed, or some other high level recruit who was guilty of breaking rules or cheating. Not Bill Self, not Roy Williams, not Mike Krzyzewski, not Billy Donavon, not Jim Calhoun. So you can either recruit them, hope the ones you get aren't the ones cheating, and do your best to follow the rules yourself, or you can not recruit any of them and never have a real shot at winning.

So, has Florida clinched the SEC East title yet? If they lose out and Vandy wins out it would be a tie, with a 1-1 split, each having lost on the road. What is the tie breaker? Division record? Overall record?
Anyways, they are looking good, but they have a tough stretch with Kentucky, Bama (I know they are in the west, but an 11-2 conference record is impressive, regardless), and a final game at Vandy.

I am curious how the Ohio State game would play out at this point in the year as opposed to so early on. I still think we take the loss, but maybe the second half doesn't turn into a slaughter.

Stupid shit ass ESPN3 disconnected me from the Gonzaga/St. Mary's game and now it's nowhere to be found. When I click on watch live from the score page it keeps sending me to Pitt/WV. BS! Was a good game to watch.

OT I guess. Hopefully they get the game back up now.

edit-Fuck yes, it's back up.

edit2-Gonzaga wins. St. Mary's looked slightly better than when I saw them before but still they don't impress me.

ascii42

SerArthurDayne said:
So, has Florida clinched the SEC East title yet? If they lose out and Vandy wins out it would be a tie, with a 1-1 split, each having lost on the road. What is the tie breaker? Division record? Overall record?
Anyways, they are looking good, but they have a tough stretch with Kentucky, Bama (I know they are in the west, but an 11-2 conference record is impressive, regardless), and a final game at Vandy.

I am curious how the Ohio State game would play out at this point in the year as opposed to so early on. I still think we take the loss, but maybe the second half doesn't turn into a slaughter.
I think it goes to overall record first. Florida is 22-5 currently, and Vandy is 20-7, so Vandy would win the SEC east.

jjasper

Cal is dirty and shady there is no doubt. I don't really see the reason to argue it. Nor do I see why Kentucky fans agrue it when they were right there with everyone else 2 years ago talking about how dirty he was. Dude is good at avoid getting cought there is no shame in that. In fact it is what seperates coaches who are mearly average to being good/great. Kentucky fans should embrace his dirty/shady tactics college basketball is the dirties, most corrupt sport in the country so it isn't like he is alone. Hell I wish my coach was as good as him at cheating cause Pearl clearly sucks at it.

jakncoke

Banned
jjasper said:
Cal is dirty and shady there is no doubt. I don't really see the reason to argue it. Nor do I see why Kentucky fans agrue it when they were right there with everyone else 2 years ago talking about how dirty he was. Dude is good at avoid getting cought there is no shame in that. In fact it is what seperates coaches who are mearly average to being good/great. Kentucky fans should embrace his dirty/shady tactics college basketball is the dirties, most corrupt sport in the country so it isn't like he is alone. Hell I wish my coach was as good as him at cheating cause Pearl clearly sucks at it.

716e6aa915c7c2d1d755e4373f02c893.jpg

SerArthurDayne said:

I think they clinched a share of it, at the least. I think another win secures it outright, unless I'm missing something. I must admit I'm surprised with how this Florida team actually responds to adversity and doesn't just give up whenever they get down by a decent margin of points. Impressive second half for the Gators, and I think they've got a great shot at winning the East outright.

In regard to the Ohio State game, I think it would be much closer, assuming everyone is healthy. I do think it's a loss still, as the Ohio State team is just overall a better team. That said, I do think the game against the Gators was absolutely one of the best games they've played all year, and it'd be tough to repeat that performance.

I still think we would put a pretty big beating on UF, you gotta remember we're playing with 2 freshman in our starting 5 as well as a true freshman in our 7 spot. This team has gotten a lot better, as I assume UF has, but everything just seems to be clicking right now. But everyone has the formula to beat us, play at home and have one of youre players have a once in a lifetime performance and you'll win, not too hard right?

bucknuticus said:
I still think we would put a pretty big beating on UF, you gotta remember we're playing with 2 freshman in our starting 5 as well as a true freshman in our 7 spot. This team has gotten a lot better, as I assume UF has, but everything just seems to be clicking right now. But everyone has the formula to beat us, play at home and have one of youre players have a once in a lifetime performance and you'll win, not too hard right?

I don't think it would be a big beating, by any means, assuming both teams play close to their potential. Both teams have certainly improved, and I've already admitted tOSU is a better team overall, and that would get them the win. Florida just flopped the second half of the game earlier this season while tOSU kept on marching like they had the first half. Since then, Florida has shown the ability to respond to adversity, so I think they could definitely keep it a much closer game.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Seth C said:
And what shadiness has Calipari actually been accused of or found guilty of by the NCAA? Damn. Sucks for you. I guess you must loathe that dirty, shady Coach K. He actually played a player who was paid by an agent (and yes, I know Calipari did also...neither coach was found to have knowledge of it)! Meanwhile Cal tried to get Kanter cleared to play the right way, by asking the NCAA for it openly. So shady. Next thing you know he will recruit players that beat up women. Oh wait.

Ah hell, nevermind, the nation as a whole knows Kentucky will be back to a Final Four before Louisville or Pitino anyway. We may be back to the Final Four before Louisville actually manages to beat Kentucky again. Our coach can't coach (according to you), our rotation isn't good enough to get to the Final Four (according to you), and your coach still can't figure out a way to win a game against them. That's so weird. I wish I could figure out what that meant.

Being real though, when you are constantly recruiting top talent, and this goes for every coach who does so, you are absolutely going to be dealing with filth. It can't be avoided because the AAU circuit is nearly overwhelmed with it. I'd be willing to bet there hasn't been a coach who has won the NCAA title in the last 10 who didn't recruit and try to win the services of one of the players you listed, or some other high level recruit who was guilty of breaking rules or cheating. Not Bill Self, not Roy Williams, not Mike Krzyzewski, not Billy Donavon, not Jim Calhoun. So you can either recruit them, hope the ones you get aren't the ones cheating, and do your best to follow the rules yourself, or you can not recruit any of them and never have a real shot at winning.

I'm pretty sure Piggie was an AAU coach and not an agent and he gave Corey Maggette a total of $2000 in four cash payments between his junior and senior year of high school, right before Duke even started to recruit him. I'm not debating that Maggette's eligibility was compromised by taking money, but I've always taken issue with people that insist Duke knew about the whole thing and buried it or some shit like that. Look I can give a kid $2000 right now and he can blow it on sneakers, clothes and other BS that doesn't leave much of a paper trail, I fail to see how anyone would ever know unless the kid admitted it, which Maggette did.

You have to realize that as Florida fans, we might not have much basketball glory left since the back-to-back years. But, it is very nice to have a solid team to watch and cheer on. Its also nice that this team hasn't collapsed down the stretch. For the past several years Florida has been a team that would get down by six in the second half and just collapse. This team has some fight in it.
We barely deserved to make the tourney last year, and certainly didn't deserve the seed we got. But this year we might even have a chance to win in the first round. Although probably not if we have to face BYU again!

bucknuticus said:
While it would be closer I still think tOSU would win by 10+.

I think it's very possible for Florida to let that happen, but I would argue the margin would not be that big if both teams played at a high level. Maybe from free throws at the end, which just basically inflates the score.

SerArthurDayne said:
You have to realize that as Florida fans, we might not have much basketball glory left since the back-to-back years. But, it is very nice to have a solid team to watch and cheer on. Its also nice that this team hasn't collapsed down the stretch. For the past several years Florida has been a team that would get down by six in the second half and just collapse. This team has some fight in it.
We barely deserved to make the tourney last year, and certainly didn't deserve the seed we got. But this year we might even have a chance to win in the first round. Although probably not if we have to face BYU again!

It's pretty obvious this team is nowhere near the skill level displayed by the 06 and 07 teams, but I agree it's wonderful to see the team at a competitive level. We still have three games to go, so I wouldn't speak TOO soon, but they've fared better than in previous years by far. I like the toughness the team has displayed. They're not going to win the tournament, but they're a good team and fun to watch.

I think we'll get a good seed this year, and should definitely have the capability to move past the first round unless the seeding ultimately screws us. I think BYU will be seeded higher than last season as well, so I don't foresee a rematch, at least not in the first round.

MightyHealthy said:
UK fans don't get it, that we have hated Cal'd shady ass since at least his early Memphis days. Personally my hate for him was during Umass' "can we lose?" season. I didn't hate UK when Tubby was there. Didn't hate any players from Ford to Rondo.

Our coach is the first to take 3 teams to the final four, theirs will be the first to have 3 teams with vacated final fours, if they ever make it past the elite 8. If Tubby had dropped an elite 8 game, then 2 months later said that getting 5 players drafted was the greatest day in UK's history they would have had his head.

The fact that they all were proud they took the high road when hiring Billy G instead of dirty Cal makes this all the more entertaining. Hell even their media loud mouth matt jones blasted Cal back then because he knew he was dirty. Now look at him

And yes, I would gladly bet that we will be in a final four before UK, absolutely no doubt in my mind. At least Cal gave us one of the best post game moments of any sport, Cheney's rant/attempted assault

Kalnos

Banned
Even if Cal wasn't dirty, he still sucks. Guy couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag.

I don't hate UK (even current UK) and I actually really liked UK in their Tubby/Pitino days, but man I don't like Cal.

Sir Pant

Wow, so far this game is a joke, kstate just walking all over us, and MU not able to make a single shot. On top of that, big 12 refs that call absolutely EVERYTHING.

Fatalah

jakncoke said:
St.Johns bitchslapping Nova

I wish the Knicks were coached this well. Lavin has these guys playing so crisp, and they only look better with each game.

Oh, and Hardy is f'n amazing.

Edit: It's all about our coaches man. What a difference they've made!

Steve Lavin - Head Coach
Mike Dunlap - Assistant Coach
Tony Chiles - Assistant Coach
Rico Hines - Assistant Coach
Moe Hicks - Director of Operations
Gene Keady - Special Assistant/Advisor
Derrick Wrobel - Assistant to the Head Coach

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Anybody else find this Cassidy Hubbarth girl a bit annoying? She does the ESPN3 halftime show.

She tries too hard to enunciate or something. She also looks a little rigid. I don't know.

She's kind of hot.

Sir Pant

BYU pulling away....I'm disappointed in how much of a point disparity in that game, I was really looking forward to a close one. They need something to get this turned around!

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Nova is a garbage team.

They make a ton of lazy passes, they don't box out on the defensive glass, they take horrible shots, and they don't even seem to guard the three point shooter half the time.

Bowser

Sir Pant said:
BYU pulling away....I'm disappointed in how much of a point disparity in that game, I was really looking forward to a close one. They need something to get this turned around!
That's what happens when a team gets unconscious from 3...it's ridiculous

Man, BYU is lighting it up from outside. I'm checking out this game, then have a couple friends coming over to watch Arizona-UCLA and Cal-Oregon State back to back. Should be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom