• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2010-2011 Season OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proelite

Azwethinkweiz said:
ACC refs should not be allowed to officiate Duke home games.

Complaining about home court advantage on Senior night? Really? If they played to their potential all season, they shouldn't be trying to get on the bubble right now.

devilhawk

Mizzou Gaming said:
Pretty big game for the KU Beakers against A&M. KU WON'T WIN in our house, that's a GUARANTEE so they better take care of business tonight.
Bring back Quin!

Oh and, Back to back to back to back to back to back to back!

osmosis

Neo Member
Quite ridiculous. Props to BYU, I guess. They adhered to their "code", as backwards as it seems to me. Injuries to players are one thing, but something like this is a different kind of unfortunate.

GodfatherX said:
This has probably already been covered but

Brandon Davies was dismissed from BYU's basketball team after he admitted to having sexual relations with his girlfriend, the Salt Lake Tribune reported Wednesday.

really BYU? i mean really? a college kid? good luck on the recruiting trail
BYU is so full of shit.

And yeah, this could potentially kill their basketball and football recruiting. What college athlete would want to deal with bullshit like that when you could go to Pac-12 Utah and have all the sex you want?

Bowser

rayao9.gif

the lols continue

BYU Honor Code said:
Live a chaste and virtuous life
Use clean language
Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, and substance abuse
Participate regularly in church services

Homosexual Behavior
-One's stated same-gender attraction is not an Honor Code issue. However, the Honor Code requires all members of the university community to manifest a strict commitment to the law of chastity

Dress Code
Men
Men are expected to be clean-shaven; beards are not acceptable. Earrings and other body piercing are not acceptable

Women
Clothing is inappropriate when it is sleeveless, strapless, backless, or revealing; has slits above the knee; or is form fitting.

Residential Living
On Campus
-Visitors of the opposite sex are permitted in the lobbies and apartment kitchens but not in bedrooms or bathrooms

Off Campus
-Visitors of the opposite sex are permitted in living rooms and kitchens but not in the bedrooms in off-campus living units. The use of the bathroom areas by members of the opposite sex is not appropriate unless emergency or civility dictates otherwise, and then only if the safety, privacy, and sensitivity of other residents are not jeopardized

I know it's a private college, but holy shit (gasp) did the campus get stuck in the 1940s?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Bowser said:

'Yall tried that....... you lost.......again. You'll probably win this game but you'll know that you never beat this team at full strength. Our real starting 5 will always be undefeated, someone get a bakery to crown our asses. I'm taking the Doc Rivers/Kendrick Perkins approach.

SyNapSe

Seth C said:
Kansas is playing Texas A&M and that suspension is suddenly over? It's like I'm psychic.

I saw your post originally. There were 5 games left in the season. If they were going to suspend him for the year, they would've done it. It's not like your going to randomly bring some guy out of suspension during the NCAA tourney.

He was playing awful during that last stretch anyway. Now it's on to Mizzou. I say that's a toss-up game

GodfatherX said:
wow UCF getting 2 decomits in as many weeks, both named Smith...1 bball 1 fball

but they can kept the one from Louisville
Well the BB Smith isn't a shock. I mean he's a high-level junior that committed when the BB team was riding high early in the season. I really don't know how much confidence you can put into a HS junior sticking around a mid-major that long. Still sucks, though, but the program will continue to move forward with or without him.

As for the other Smith, Louisville fans have been saying he is decommitting since signing day. Unsubstantiated rumor after another. This one may be true, it may not be. Either way, I've never seen a fanbase be so whiny and clingy after this signing. Wasn't he supposed to be faxing in a request for release last week or something according to the "insiders?" Alas, let's not muddy this thread up with FB talk!

SyNapSe

Didn't BYU kick off a football player during the last season? I seem to remember that..
Either way, I don't see why this is a big deal. Would I go there? no. There are rules at every university, BYU's are far more strict but you know and agree to that beforehand. There are 1000's of other college and universities you could attend with less strict rules.

Seth C

SyNapSe said:
I saw your post originally. There were 5 games left in the season. If they were going to suspend him for the year, they would've done it. It's not like your going to randomly bring some guy out of suspension during the NCAA tourney.

He was playing awful during that last stretch anyway. Now it's on to Mizzou. I say that's a toss-up game

Just curious but does Kansas have rules against announcing two game suspensions? Or are all suspensions initially given as "indefinite" with that being defined as "the number of consecutive games against unranked opponents"? :p

SyNapSe

Seth C said:
Just curious but does Kansas have rules against announcing two game suspensions? Or are all suspensions initially given as "indefinite" with that being defined as "the number of consecutive games against unranked opponents"? :p

It was basically a probation term. It's not like he stabbed someone and needed to be kicked off the team. Just a reminder to use a bit better decision-making in the future. I'm sure Marisha will be reinstated to the women's team as well.

edit: In all honesty, the suspension was probably pretty over the top. I don't know why you feel it was some super lax false punishment to be lifted the minute a good team showed up. I'm sure a lot of places wouldn't have suspended him. Perhaps, make him come off the bench for one night.

Seth C

SyNapSe said:
It was basically a probation term. It's not like he stabbed someone and needed to be kicked off the team. Just a reminder to use a bit better decision-making in the future. I'm sure Marisha will be reinstated to the women's team as well.

edit: In all honesty, the suspension was probably pretty over the top. I don't know why you feel it was some super lax false punishment to be lifted the minute a good team showed up. I'm sure a lot of places wouldn't have suspended him. Perhaps, make him come off the bench for one night.

I don't think it was lax. I don't think it was needed, frankly. I think it was silly to ever make it sound like it could be longer than those two games. I think had the next game been against solid competition he wouldn't have been suspended at all, or the suspension wouldn't have been dealt out until the tough game was played. I think it's humorous that an indefinite suspension can be dealt out and the whole world can look at the schedule and accurately predict the length of indefinite, given that is basically the opposite of the definition of indefinite. I think if the whole world knew, so did coach, so just say what you mean. I think if there was a lot of work to do in 2 days and your boss suspended you indefinitely and that suspension lasted exactly the length of time they didn't actually need you at work and ended the moment there was a heavy load, you'd see the humor in it.

I think if Kansas State suspended a player indefinitely and his first game back just happened to be a week later against your team, you'd absolutely see the humor in it.

Talon

1. Do we realize this kid basically has national media sources confirming he got laid? Ah haha

2. Curious policy considering I know a kid that got a scholarship at BYU...although he had a 1-year-old kid obviously out of wedlock.

Spartans are going to pull a Green Bay and beat their rival to get into the dance, then win it all!

lol nope... too many good teams

Ecce

Neo Member
Talon- said:
1. Do we realize this kid basically has national media sources confirming he got laid? Ah haha

2. Curious policy considering I know a kid that got a scholarship at BYU...although he had a 1-year-old kid obviously out of wedlock.

BYU alum '09 checking in. I think I am a pretty good reference b/c I worked for the Honor Code Office as a senior.

If your friend had the baby before he came to the university, then it might have been a consideration in his application but it doesn't necessarily preclude him from admission. The Honor Code governs your action while attending BYU, not what you did before you are admitted. Once you have resolved past issues of morality, then you will have no problems getting admitted or scholarship consideration.

Seth C

andycapps said:
Yeah about that.. :)

lsu-georgia-basketbal_hann-5-_w800_.jpg

Like I said, Georgia wasn't going to lose that game. LSU is really, really bad. I've got nothing against Georgia though. It's just that while we (Kentucky) would hold the tie-breaker against either Georgia OR Vandy, we do not if it is a 3 way tie.

suaveric

Ecce said:
BYU alum '09 checking in. I think I am a pretty good reference b/c I worked for the Honor Code Office as a senior.

If your friend had the baby before he came to the university, then it might have been a consideration in his application but it doesn't necessarily preclude him from admission. The Honor Code governs your action while attending BYU, not what you did before you are admitted. Once you have resolved past issues of morality, then you will have no problems getting admitted or scholarship consideration.

So how did this guy at BYU get nailed for this? Did someone else have to tell on him or did you guys stake out dorm rooms and such?

Meier

Tough loss last night. I saw Bracketology had us matched up against Temple in Round 1 prior to last night.. I'd like that. Who knows how it will all turn out.. I imagine with a win against NCSU and at least 1 in the ACC tourney that we're in but meh, not like it matters.

andycapps

Seth C said:
Like I said, Georgia wasn't going to lose that game. LSU is really, really bad. I've got nothing against Georgia though. It's just that while we (Kentucky) would hold the tie-breaker against either Georgia OR Vandy, we do not if it is a 3 way tie.

Well obviously I'm pulling for us to beat Bama this weekend, you guys to lose, and Vandy to lose. That's a lot to pull for, but UGA needs that bye, badly. Thompkins may be out for Bama as he has an injured toe, and our backup forward may be out as well with an elbow injury. Team is pretty banged up right now.

Meier

Ecce said:

Did you feel like you were working under Joseph McCarthy? From the outside looking in, that's the only thing I could compare it too.

I'm also curious as to how kids get busted. Do they test for STDs and if you get one, you're done? As I recall, Harvey Unga got the boot for the same thing a year or two ago.

Seth C

andycapps said:
Well obviously I'm pulling for us to beat Bama this weekend, you guys to lose, and Vandy to lose. That's a lot to pull for, but UGA needs that bye, badly. Thompkins may be out for Bama as he has an injured toe, and our backup forward may be out as well with an elbow injury. Team is pretty banged up right now.

We only have 6 players. We need the bye. Haha. Injuries or no, you guys spread your minutes out more than we do. Also, if somehow we end up in a 4 way tie (still possible) then Tennessee goes from 5th place to 2nd seed.

Ecce

Neo Member
suaveric said:
Did someone else have to tell on him or did you guys stake out dorm rooms and such?

No, it is a common misconception that there is a "Honor Code Police". The Honor Code is exactly what it's name suggest: a code of honor. The students themselves are expected to come in for, what the Honor Code Office (HCO) calls, "counseling" when they have issues. In my anecdotal experience, I would say that 70% of the students who come in for counseling are self-reporting.

Yes, another student can inform the HCO of another's misconduct. But the students are encouraged by the university administration and the HCO to first to go and talk with the other student that has made a mistake. This hopefully avoids any "tattling" situations.

suaveric said:
So how did this guy at BYU get nailed for this?

From CBSSports.com
Brandon Davies was suspended from BYU's basketball team for the remainder of the season because he violated the part of the school's honor code provision that prohibits premarital sex, according to a report in The Salt Lake Tribune.

The paper reported that Davies acknowledged the violation to BYU officials Monday.

BYU announced Davies' suspension on Tuesday.

"Everyone makes mistakes in their life," said BYU's Charles Abouo. "We are reaching out and trying to help him get through this."

Davies was averaging 11.1 points and a team-leading 6.2 rebounds. The No. 3 Cougars lost 82-64 Wednesday night to New Mexico in their first game without Davies. They close the regular season Saturday against Wyoming.

In this particular case, who knows. "Acknowledge" could mean he self-reported, or he simply acknowledged the truth of another student's report.

andycapps

Seth C said:
We only have 6 players. We need the bye. Haha. Injuries or no, you guys spread your minutes out more than we do. Also, if somehow we end up in a 4 way tie (still possible) then Tennessee goes from 5th place to 2nd seed.

Our bench players just aren't nearly as productive as our starters, which is probably the case everywhere.. But yeah, we have a decent amount of depth on the bench and can give those starters some rest sometimes.

Ecce

Neo Member
Meier said:
(1) Did you feel like you were working under Joseph McCarthy? From the outside looking in, that's the only thing I could compare it too.

(2) I'm also curious as to how kids get busted. Do they test for STDs and if you get one, you're done? As I recall, Harvey Unga got the boot for the same thing a year or two ago.

I labeled your questions 1 and 2 for easy reference. For and answer to 2, see my above post for how violations of the Honor Code are reported.

1 is obviously a question that is a bit more "vast". I can only answer it by addressing some LDS (Mormon) idealogical principles which are adopted by the university. These aren't really on topic for this thread. If you want a good explanation, PM me.

Meier

Ecce said:
I labeled your questions 1 and 2 for easy reference. For and answer to 2, see my above post for how violations of the Honor Code are reported.

1 is obviously a question that is a bit more "vast". I can only answer it by addressing some LDS (Mormon) idealogical principles which are adopted by the university. These aren't really on topic for this thread. If you want a good explanation, PM me.
Good idea, no reason to go off topic. I just feel bad for the guy and his teammates but you can also make the case that he let them down since he knew what was at stake. I looked up Unga after that and it appears that he got his girlfriend (maybe fiance at the time even) pregnant. She had a baby a few months after he left school and then they got married shortly after.

Seth C

andycapps said:
Our bench players just aren't nearly as productive as our starters, which is probably the case everywhere.. But yeah, we have a decent amount of depth on the bench and can give those starters some rest sometimes.

Our bench players (beyond the 6th man) provide, on average, zero production. I'd have to do the math but I'd suspect that for our team players 7-10 provide, on average, less than 1 point per game.

Edit: I went ahead and ran the numbers. Over the course of the season players beyond our 6th man have provided 2.93 points per game, on average. However, during conference play they have only contributed 0.93 points per game. Beyond that, in 12 of our 29 games they have provided NO points, including 10 of 15 SEC games. If any NCAA tournament team has a bench that provides less I'd be impressed.

bluemax

Banned
GodfatherX said:
This has probably already been covered but

Brandon Davies was dismissed from BYU's basketball team after he admitted to having sexual relations with his girlfriend, the Salt Lake Tribune reported Wednesday.

really BYU? i mean really? a college kid? good luck on the recruiting trail

Harvey Unga their top RB got kicked off the football team last year for the same thing. He went to the NFL early.

You act as if this is new for BYU.

The nice thing for them is that they have one of the largest recruiting bases in the country thanks to their religious cult, so it isn't too hard for them to find kids who will come each year.

andycapps

Seth C said:
Our bench players (beyond the 6th man) provide, on average, zero production. I'd have to do the math but I'd suspect that for our team players 7-10 provide, on average, less than 1 point per game.

Edit: I went ahead and ran the numbers. Over the course of the season players beyond our 6th man have provided 2.93 points per game, on average. However, during conference play they have only contributed 0.93 points per game. Beyond that, in 12 of our 29 games they have provided NO points, including 10 of 15 SEC games. If any NCAA tournament team has a bench that provides less I'd be impressed.

Wow, you're probably right about that. I didn't realize their bench was that bad. Their starters are probably exhausted by this point of the season.

Seth C

andycapps said:
Wow, you're probably right about that. I didn't realize their bench was that bad. Their starters are probably exhausted by this point of the season.

They clearly are. Lately they've been able to get through about 15 minutes of each half and then the wheels fall off. I don't see any possible way we can play 4 games in 4 days in the SEC Tournament.

The whole Davies case is totally an intrusion by someone from San Diego State. Slept with Davies, posed as BYU student to tell of the 'incident'. An attack from within. Well played!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Davies can transfer to Duke, we need a kid with size in 2012. He can have all the sex he wants as long as he does a Power Point presentation to evaluate the encounters

Talon

truly101 said:
Davies can transfer to Duke, we need a kid with size in 2012. He can have all the sex he wants as long as he does a Power Point presentation to evaluate the encounters
Bravo, sir. Bravo.

jakncoke

Banned
I wonder what the max capacity for the arena is. damn.

Edit: 1039, damn Coastal Carolina arena small as fuck

Edit2: 344th/345 in size lol

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

New Bracketology out. I know these things are worthless, but its fun to pretend. The Illini would be absolutely ecstatic to get that placement. Weakest 1 seed in Duke (w/o Irving) and weakest 2 seed in Virgin U. George Mason in 1st round? I would take that in a heartbeat.

He also now has 6 B10 teams in with Michigan sneaking in, on account of the conference strength I'm assuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom