• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2010-2011 Season OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

SyNapSe

Local CBS station in Kansas City switched away from a KU - MU matchup with both teams ranked. Who does something like that!?

7 straight conference championships. Should help ease the pain from the upcoming epic 1st or 2nd round collapse.

That might have been the ugliest game I've ever seen. Great win for the Beakers though, because we don't lose many there.

Its easy to see why we were so bummed about losing Tony Mitchell's eligibility case. He would have been great inside and damn do we need a big man inside.

With that said I wouldn't be surprised if we make a decent run in the Big XII tournament and then maybe 2 in the NCAAs. Playing so many games back to back really gives us an advantage as far as depth goes.

KU is my favorite to win it all but if their guards struggle to get it inside they can be beat by a number of teams.

jayhawker

Rf28p.jpg

SyNapSe said:
Local CBS station in Kansas City switched away from a KU - MU matchup with both teams ranked. Who does something like that!?

7 straight conference championships. Should help ease the pain from the upcoming epic 1st or 2nd round collapse.

Did the same exact thing here and I'm in the heart of Mizzou country. Don't know if you were able to hear it on the radio when it cut off but we actually hit a big 3 to cut it to 4 with about 2 minutes left. Reed then nailed a big 3 that put it away. Unfortunately we couldn't put Moody on the line or we might have pulled out another miracle. :)

It's alright, Illinois and Michigan St are in. Both should be trying to tank now, to avoid the 8/9 game.

(the Illini played hard against an inferior team today for the first time I can remember, and won by 30.
2h2pduv.gif
... if only we did that every game.)

jakncoke

Banned
if Michigan St gets in it'll show the field is pretty weak. You'll bring at me SOS. guess what you still need to win games lol

jakncoke said:
if Michigan St gets in it'll show the field is pretty weak. You'll bring at me SOS. guess what you still need to win games lol
Or they had one of the hardest schedules in the NCAA?

They're average but tournament worthy.

jakncoke said:
They'll be .500 in the strongest conference in the nation. Are you going to take only 4 teams from the B1G? Come on, son.

It's kinda funny, though, we hear "the Big Ten is super strong!". Then OSU and Purdue blow through the conference, Wisconsin looks pretty good, and there's this massive clusterfuck of teams balled together below. So apparently all those teams suck now. Clearly, it's not possible that OSU and Purdue are two of the best teams in the country, and would be the cream of any conference. No sir!

</soapbox>

Anyway, if MSU makes it in they'll be a threat to beat anyone they play, as usual. I won't pencil them in for the Final Four like I would if they were a #5 seed
fohe1d.gif
, but if they are in the 8/9 game I'd hate to be the #1.

Elfforkusu said:
It's alright, Illinois and Michigan St are in. Both should be trying to tank now, to avoid the 8/9 game.

(the Illini played hard against an inferior team today for the first time I can remember, and won by 30.
2h2pduv.gif
... if only we did that every game.)

How's the Illini Nation feel about Webber currently? Mingled with a lot of Illini at the Braggin Rights game and overall it sounded like it was Big 10 Championship or bust for Webber and company. I don't live in St. Louis anymore so I don't get any Illini coverage now.

jakncoke

Banned
Im saying to saying they're a sure thing is laughable to me. I'm not debating how many B1G gets, I was talking about Michigan St.

Elfforkusu said:
They'll be .500 in the strongest conference in the nation. Are you going to take only 4 teams from the B1G? Come on, son.

It's kinda funny, though, we hear "the Big Ten is super strong!". Then OSU and Purdue blow through the conference, Wisconsin looks pretty good, and there's this massive clusterfuck of teams balled together below. So apparently all those teams suck now. Clearly, it's not possible that OSU and Purdue are two of the best teams in the country, and would be the cream of any conference. No sir!

</soapbox>

Anyway, if MSU makes it in they'll be a threat to beat anyone they play, as usual. I won't pencil them in for the Final Four like I would if they were a #5 seed
fohe1d.gif
, but if they are in the 8/9 game I'd hate to be the #1.

Sorry but there is no way the Big Ten is stronger than the Big East.

Mizzou Gaming said:
How's the Illini Nation feel about Webber currently? Mingled with a lot of Illini at the Braggin Rights game and overall it sounded like it was Big 10 Championship or bust for Webber and company. I don't live in St. Louis anymore so I don't get any Illini coverage now.

It would be better to ask after the tournament. This has been a brutal year, but we are still talented and capable of getting hot and making a run to the Sweet 16 or (/homer) even farther. How far we go can change a lot of minds, but as of right now most of the fanbase are extremely unhappy with how the last 2 years have gone.

IMO the time to fire him was 2 years ago with the piss poor recruiting. He has fixed that, now he will get 2 more years to see if he can coach the improved classes. That and a coaching change would be suicide right now IMO, because the class of 2013 and 2014 in Illinois are so sick and we are in good right now with some absolute studs (Tommy Hamilton Jr., Jabari Parker).

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
HAHA We really know how to finish a team off. I'll take it though.

Bring on the Illini. They are playing much better than they were a few weeks ago.

Mizzou Gaming said:

Everyone I know wants him gone(except my dad) and everyone I know is an Illini fan. Though like Miner said a good run could change a lot of those minds. People are fickle that way.

suaveric

I'm an Illini fan and I don't want Weber fired...yet. Our seniors are so all over the map this year nothing will surprise me in the tourney. They have the talent to go to the elite 8, especially in a down year like this, but they are total head cases and could just as easily lose in the first round.

For Weber the next two years will be critical. The recruiting problems seemed to have been fixed, so I expect a lot more.

Mizzou Gaming said:
Sorry but there is no way the Big Ten is stronger than the Big East.
On volume, you're certainly right. 11 NCAA-caliber teams is ridiculous. But one conference has 5 more teams. The other has the two best teams of the lot.

Anyway, I defer to kenpom for all conference strength debates: http://kenpom.com/conf.php?c=B10 vs http://kenpom.com/conf.php?c=BE

jakncoke said:
Im saying to saying they're a sure thing is laughable to me. I'm not debating how many B1G gets, I was talking about Michigan St.
Even with the game today, would you take Michigan over them? Penn St? (obviously not)

They're every bit as good as most of the Big East teams (which are pretty good themselves).

Mizzou Gaming said:
Speaking for myself: It's pretty clear that Weber is a god-awful motivator, a poor gameday coach, and wears out players so that after a few years of playing under him they've pretty much tuned him out.

He's also a great teacher of the game, and when he's got a player with forceful personality on the team that (1) is self-motivated and (2) is buying what he's selling (doesn't tune him out), his teams have the potential for great things. See: Deron Williams. Dee Brown. Chester Frazier (as a senior, before he got hurt)

Which is to say we'll win or lose the next few years depending on whether Jereme Richmond gets sick of him/goes pro early/etc.

As for what to do with Weber -- I'd prefer if we fired his ass, but OTOH I think that would do immense harm to the program right now unless we had a replacement ready who could take us back to the top. I think we could have success with Weber, but certain conditions (see above) have to be met. So I guess I'm not sure at the moment.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Elfforkusu said:
He's also a great teacher of the game, and when he's got a player with forceful personality on the team that

That is what he is worst at. Your seniors are barely better than they were two years ago and your sophmores have all seemed to regress from last season. I mean your senior bigs still don't know how to roll properly on a pick and roll. They just turn and run right at the basket never looking back for the ball. I bet Leonard will still have no offensive game two years from now if you keep Weber.

Brian Fellows said:
That is what he is worst at. Your seniors are barely better than they were two years ago and your sophmores have all seemed to regress from last season. I mean your senior bigs still don't know how to roll properly on a pick and roll. They just turn and run right at the basket never looking back for the ball. I bet Leonard will still have no offensive game two years from now if you keep Weber.
Player improvement itself (year to year) is a matter of motivation and/or player leadership.

The seniors haven't gotten any better because they've tuned Weber out. As crappy a motivator as he is, you need a Dee Brown around to keep everybody working and getting better.

As far as "teaching the game" goes, two guys who listened to Weber (and had the fire to take it the rest of the way) are Deron Williams and Luther Head. The strides both of those guys made over the course of their careers were amazing, it's impossible to believe that the coach had nothing to do with it.

Outdoor Miner said:
Wow @ Purdue. Epic fail if they let Iowa beat them. As was said, B10 co-title on the line but also an outside shot at a 1 seed.
Yeah.

Why couldn't you play like this against us, Purdue. Jerks. >(

Tapiozona

Banned
Arizona wins! We're the Pac Ten outright champions! Yaaaaaaay...

Though the pac 10 is terrible this year so take it with a grain of salt

Here's the B1G tournament matchups.

Opening Round, March 10 – Northwestern (8) vs. Minnesota (9), 2:30 p.m. (ESPN2); Penn State (7) vs. Iowa (10), 5 p.m. (ESPN2); Michigan State (6) vs. Indiana (11), 7:30 p.m. (BTN).

Quarterfinals, March 11 – Ohio State (1) vs. Minnesota-Northwestern winner, noon (ESPN); Illinois (4) vs. Michigan (5), 2:30 p.m. (ESPN); Purdue (2) vs. PSU-Iowa winner, 6:30 p.m. (BTN); Wisconsin (3) vs. Michigan State-Indiana winner, 9 p.m. (BTN).

Edit: This is with Minny beating PSU.

jakncoke said:
Atlantic Sun championship is on espn2 if anyone is curious or bored enough to watch lol

I'm watching(was bored enough to watch the semis yesterday! lol)!!! Thought N. Florida would be doing better. I got PIP with Butler/Cleveland State. Love ESPN3.com.

And Bucknuticus...Minnesota would be the 8th seed(light colored jerseys) while Northwestern would be #9(Dark colored jerseys) if they beat Penn State tomorrow. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom