• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2010-2011 Season OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
ErasureAcer said:
I'm watching(was bored enough to watch the semis yesterday! lol)!!! Thought N. Florida would be doing better. I got PIP with Butler/Cleveland State. Love ESPN3.com.

And Bucknuticus...Minnesota would be the 8th seed(light colored jerseys) while Northwestern would be #9(Dark colored jerseys) if they beat Penn State tomorrow. =)

Yeah thats if the season ended today, if wisconsins beats us theyll get the 2 seed.

Z_Y

Elfforkusu said:
They'll be .500 in the strongest conference in the nation. Are you going to take only 4 teams from the B1G? Come on, son.

It's kinda funny, though, we hear "the Big Ten is super strong!". Then OSU and Purdue blow through the conference, Wisconsin looks pretty good, and there's this massive clusterfuck of teams balled together below. So apparently all those teams suck now. Clearly, it's not possible that OSU and Purdue are two of the best teams in the country, and would be the cream of any conference. No sir!

</soapbox>

Anyway, if MSU makes it in they'll be a threat to beat anyone they play, as usual. I won't pencil them in for the Final Four like I would if they were a #5 seed
fohe1d.gif
, but if they are in the 8/9 game I'd hate to be the #1.
Strongest what?

Seth C

Elfforkusu said:
Did I stutter?

Purdue's still better than Pittsburgh. (sorry jakncoke)

Anyway, for serious: compare in-conference strength of schedule from this page to in-conference SoS from this page.

According to Ken Pomeroy Kentucky is the 9th best team in the land. I'm fine with that, but I doubt you'll find many to agree with him.

jakncoke

Banned
random thing i noticed today about kenpom, if you look at previous years. you can see where each team got seeded as well. im probably way late in noticing but yeah

jakncoke

Banned
Belmont really bitchslapping North Florida. Not thats shocking i suppose, is there any championship games tonight? or how bout tomorrow?

Seth C said:
According to Ken Pomeroy Kentucky is the 9th best team in the land. I'm fine with that, but I doubt you'll find many to agree with him.
You can never predict future events based just on past success... but yes, I'm willing to believe that, adding up their offense and defense, Kentucky has proven they're pretty damn good.

They just suck at winning close games on the road.

Anyway, essentially what I'm saying is that for the purpose of weighing a .500 B1G team VS a .500 BE team, I'll take the B1G team because they've played a tougher schedule. That's all the "strongest conference" talk ought to mean, anyway: which conference gives its teams the toughest in-conference schedule?

jakncoke said:
Belmont really bitchslapping North Florida. Not thats shocking i suppose, is there any championship games tonight? or how bout tomorrow?

Ivy League is playing a sort of semi-championship game. It's halftime now with Princeton down 1. If Princeton wins, they win the championship...if Harvard wins they play a playoff...I think.

CBS' Conference Tournament breakdown: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/schedules/conference-tournament

ESPN3.com has a lot of these games.

Seth C

Elfforkusu said:
You can never predict future events based just on past success... but yes, I'm willing to believe that, adding up their offense and defense, Kentucky has proven they're pretty damn good.

They just suck at winning close games on the road.

Which is where luck come in, and according to Ken we are one of the most unlucky teams in the country.

Seth C said:
Which is where luck come in, and according to Ken we are one of the most unlucky teams in the country.
Right, but (trust me, Illinois has lost a lot of close games over the past few years), sometimes "luck" amounts to just sucking at the end of games.

Not that it's necessarily true in Kentucky's case. I haven't seen many of their losses, actually...

jakncoke said:
nice tks. :)

Edit: ahh OVC is up next Tenn Tech/Morehead St.

Edit: damn that morehead st. guy gots a lot of rebounds

Yeah Faried is a beast. I might pick Morehead State in the NCAAs...depends on the matchup.

ascii42

SerArthurDayne said:
Gators! Despite what ESPN announcers are saying, there is no way this is a Final Four Team. But they are pretty good.
Yeah. I have no idea how we are SEC regular season champions, but I'll take it.

Outdoor Miner said:
It would be better to ask after the tournament. This has been a brutal year, but we are still talented and capable of getting hot and making a run to the Sweet 16 or (/homer) even farther. How far we go can change a lot of minds, but as of right now most of the fanbase are extremely unhappy with how the last 2 years have gone.

IMO the time to fire him was 2 years ago with the piss poor recruiting. He has fixed that, now he will get 2 more years to see if he can coach the improved classes. That and a coaching change would be suicide right now IMO, because the class of 2013 and 2014 in Illinois are so sick and we are in good right now with some absolute studs (Tommy Hamilton Jr., Jabari Parker).

I think QUIN SNYDER would look damn good in orange and blue. lolz

SerArthurDayne said:
Gators! Despite what ESPN announcers are saying, there is no way this is a Final Four Team. But they are pretty good.

They've got an absolute stud coming in next year from St. Louis, Brandon Beal

If not for Seth Curry going 4 of 5 behind the arc, Duke would be down even worse than 51-39 at the half. The rest of the Devils are 0-10 from 3 point land. Not playing any D whatsoever, as well. Or rebounding. In short, it's all going the Heels' way.

Singler doesnt seem to be the same player without Schyer and Henderson to keep defenders busy. maybe he should have left last year?

Mizzou Gaming said:
They've got an absolute stud coming in next year from St. Louis, Brandon Beal

Don't really follow Basketball recruiting much, but that is great news. It would be nice to have a consistently good team again. My only fear with such highly touted prospects is that they will almost inevitably be 1-and-done, and Florida doesn't have the recruiting ability to cope with that type of turnover.

sooperkool said:
Singler doesnt seem to be the same player without Schyer and Henderson to keep defenders busy. maybe he should have left last year?

He has certainly been having a lot of bad shooting performances recently. His best shooting percentage was actually as a freshman. Lowest was last year, although if he continues at his current trajectory, he might end up lower this season.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Anyone have a time machine so I can go back to the Butler game in December and convince K not to play Irving that day? We're getting bounced second round this year and Singler doesn't deserve to play in Kosovo much less the NBA

I think the key difference in this game is just that Kendall Marshall is a better point guard than Nolan Smith. He's not a better player, obviously, but Smith just isn't a point.

Duke really hasn't had a point guard in years, really (would have been different if Irving was healthy, obviously). It's what makes last season's run all the more remarkable.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Randolph Freelander said:
I think the key difference in this game is just that Kendall Marshall is a better point guard than Nolan Smith. He's not a better player, obviously, but Smith just isn't a point.

Duke really hasn't had a point guard in years, really (would have been different if Irving was healthy, obviously). It's what makes last season's ran all the more remarkable.

But Scheyer could manage the offense and the team knew exactly how to play with the personnel they had and they had 3 offensive options. This team is like the 2008 edition. There is talent there, but there is nobody competent to run the offense. The difference is Nolan isn't garbage like Paulus was, he's just not a point.

Very unlikely Irving comes back at this point, so this season is done, it was done after the Butler game and we didn't know it yet.

Scheyer did an excellent job last year, no doubt. The point was it wasn't his natural position in the slightest, they just made it work.

I love Smith as a player, but often he doesn't even look to get his teammates involved. It's just not his mindset. He is a scorer.

jakncoke

Banned
Harvard (23-5, 12-2 Ivy League) has not appeared in the NCAA tournament since 1946, and it was the only Ivy League school that had not won a championship since the conference was formed in 1956-57

goddamn

I don't get the storming of the court. When you've been to the top of the mountain, you don't storm the court. Storming the court is for teams that have not and will never win a thing. Virginia Tech storms courts. Clemson storms courts. Florida State storms courts. Duke? Carolina? Maryland? You've been there before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom