• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2010-2011 Season OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
If Irving cannot return I hope we throw the 1st ACCT game and the 1st NCAA game, let some team have their big moment. This team is quite fraudulent and we may as well get it over with

DJ_Tet

Banned
I'm frustrated too but that's got to be one of the shittiest things I've ever seen a 'duke fan' post.

Of course, you pretty much said the same thing last year when we won it all. I hope for your sake that Rivers plays more than 8 games next year. You spent all last year looking forward to Irving that you pissed and moaned throughout the tournament.

Duke can win the ACC Tournament. It will be ugly, they'll have to shoot much better than they have been lately, but they can do it. I don't predict them to get to the Final Four. Didn't predict them to do any such thing last year, either, but they took the whole thing. But last year was certainly a series of fortunate events that if replayed might not work out the same way.

I think they'll be a 2, they'll have a fight in the 2nd round against somebody, survive, and probably bow out in the sweet 16 against somebody from the Big East. If it works out better, excellent! If it turns out worse, I won't complain.

Proelite

The only time I start to panic is if we lose a home or neutral court game.
Congrats to UNC though, thanks for storming the court.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DJ_Tet said:
I'm frustrated too but that's got to be one of the shittiest things I've ever seen a 'duke fan' post.

Of course, you pretty much said the same thing last year when we won it all. I hope for your sake that Rivers plays more than 8 games next year. You spent all last year looking forward to Irving that you pissed and moaned throughout the tournament.

Bah, its my right to piss and moan, I explained it last season. I throw the team under the bus with a ton of "we're doomed" hyperbole, get my anger out, and then I'm over it.

Seriously though, I see a second round upset as a very real possibility. This team as it is has never completely clicked since Irving went down, hence all the poor 1st half starts they have had. Its like they can't find the right personnel or rotation to get everything to work. Historically that has been the case with Duke for 5 out of the last 6 years, major deficiencies that they haven't found a way to overcome. Last years team was slow and plodding, but they used it to their advantage. This year....well they are good at jacking up 3s and missing them. Not sure there is an award for that

DJ_Tet

Banned
I completely agree there, your 2008 comparison was apt. This year we don't have an athlete who can create his own shot ala Henderson so we may be out very early.

That said, I can't advocate 'throwing a tournament game.' It's not like Duke will get a higher pick or anything ;)

edit: pls let there be a Kyrie sighting soon..

You know who fell off the map offensively when we lost Irving? Mason Plumlee. He had some nice moves in the paint early in the season and was just flying all over the place. Almost instantly once Irving went down Plumlee reverted to the same spazz he was last year. Not as bad as his brother but still. Thought he was going to be a big contributer this year and it never worked out.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DJ_Tet said:
I completely agree there, your 2008 comparison was apt. This year we don't have an athlete who can create his own shot ala Henderson so we may be out very early.

That said, I can't advocate 'throwing a tournament game.' It's not like Duke will get a higher pick or anything ;)

edit: pls let there be a Kyrie sighting soon..

He resumes "basketball related activities" this week, but no real word on what this is.

Anyway congrats to the UNC fans that post here. In general I hate your fanbase but you guys are pretty cool. We got our asses beat.

DJ_Tet

Banned
bucknuticus said:
Yo, ACC why you so bad, in both your sports.

ACC won four championships in the last decade, that's not too terrible. Got a shot at another too.

edit: lol buckeye fan running smack now? It's not October dude

edit2: Knew I was leaving someone out, poor Terps

Uh oh, Dook fans are testy tonight. Sounding like Michigan fans, yeah well in the past we won all this. I didnt say yo ACC why you bad 3 years ago, ACC is bad right now, who cares what you won in the past.

So are you going to argue the fact that the ACC is bad this year or just accept it while trying to put in bad jabs? That was my original statement, which is true.

DJ_Tet

Banned
16lyaac.gif

bucknuticus said:
So are you going to argue the fact that the ACC is bad this year or just accept it while trying to put in bad jabs? That was my original statement, which is true.

The conference is weak. That is true. The conference was weak last year. And the year before. Can't argue with any of it. But the top of the conference, as thin as that top might be, has always been able to play with anybody. At the end of it all, only one team hoists the trophy. A conference might be the deepest in the world, but the depth of the conference doesn't win a title. The last team standing does.

rockchalk

Neo Member
I think the biggest travesty is UNC students rushing the court after beating Duke. Act like you've been there before, please.

Talon

rockchalk said:
I think the biggest travesty is UNC students rushing the court after beating Duke. Act like you've been there before, please.
They went from not making the tournament at all last year to unexpectedly winning the regular season title while beating your biggest rival.

I don't mind it.

rockchalk said:

C'mon man. The 'Heels turned it around this year. I don't think anyone expected us to be here after we started like we did. It's been a rough couple of years since the championship.

Talon

rockchalk said:
They won a NC 2 years ago...
With a completely different, veteran squad helmed by Hansbrough, Lawson, Ellington, Green, and co. They came in this year with a super young team expecting to make the tournament but not make hay, much less win the conference title over a Duke that returned Smith, Singler, and the Oafs.

By the way, I just about choked on my dinner when I heard there was a third Plumlee. Dear God save us all.

Talon

BigNastyCurve said:
ACC has never been as deep as they were before they expanded. That's the sad truth as a Tarheel fan.
Or more that the Big East has given everyone unreasonable perceptions of depth by having 16 schools.

But, yes, the ACC hasn't been up to snuff since Wake fell out of prominence (RIP Skip)...and everyone realized Paul Hewitt didn't know how to coach.

rockchalk said:
5 more fouls available, but they never get called for them.

You obviously haven't kept count of the number of games the Plumlees have fouled out of. The two Plumlees combined for 9 whistles tonight, even. ;)

As for the general notion that Duke gets all the calls, it's just a myth. Duke gets their fair share for sure, but plenty go against the Blue Devils as well.

Talon- said:
But, yes, the ACC hasn't been up to snuff since Wake fell out of prominence (RIP Skip)...and everyone realized Paul Hewitt didn't know how to coach.

And NC State drove off their NCAA tournament coach, and Maryland slid back into the murky middle, and, well, the league has just gotten somewhat mediocre all around (below the top).

giga

Did I tell you guys that my econ prof apparently has some inside sources that the AA has enough money to buy out Hewitt's contract at the end of March? Dreams really can come true!

Proelite

rockchalk said:
5 more fouls available, but they never get called for them.

You kidding me, Plumblebee started the tip without about 2 fouls called on them already the way they reach in.

Talon

The Plumlees are anything if not effective at fouling out.

And being late on rotations.

And losing sight of their man in the paint.
Randolph Freelander said:
And NC State drove off their NCAA tournament coach, and Maryland slid back into the murky middle, and, well, the league has just gotten somewhat mediocre all around (below the top).
Gary Williams' decline has really been inexplicable.
giga said:
Did I tell you guys that my econ prof apparently has some inside sources that the AA has enough money to buy out Hewitt's contract at the end of March? Dreams really can come true!
Paul got to that Bill Self (pre-title) state of black magic recruiting but never learned how to coach. Seriously, I want to know what he's done over the years to convince all these guys to come play under him at Tech. I guess you could say the same about Bobby Cremins.

And please don't take offense. My dad's actually an alum.

Proelite

BigNastyCurve said:
/hatersgonnahate.gif

why the edit?

Picture wasn't linking.

Imo, cutting down the nets for regular season is a bit ridiculous, but I guess it's alright if there was a tradition of doing it.

It's hard to say you hope people get fired. Far be it from me to hope anyone loses their job, just as I'd hate it if someone wanted me fired. At the same time, these guys get paid a lot of money and it's not like their families will be hurting. With that said...

The ACC needs a lot of bums thrown out. Coaching is certainly not what it used to be.

giga

Talon- said:
The Plumlees are anything if not effective at fouling out.

And being late on rotations.

And losing sight of their man in the paint.

Gary Williams' decline has really been inexplicable.

Paul got to that Bill Self (pre-title) state of black magic recruiting but never learned how to coach. Seriously, I want to know what he's done over the years to convince all these guys to come play under him at Tech. I guess you could say the same about Bobby Cremins.

And please don't take offense. My dad's actually an alum.
None taken. I'd rather have John Salley take over.

So I'll just hop in here and say hopefully UK wins tomorrow and gets the bye. I havent decided if I'm driving to knoxville or not. If I do, look for the ELOY VARGAS sign. that's been me at every game at Rupp. Also look for it at the SEC tourney next week, because goddamn eloy is due for a breakout game sometime soon.

Talon- said:
On a side note, Ryan Kelly has set a new low for Least Athletic Looking Schlub on a D1 Basketball Team.

I don't get Kelly. He had that one hot stretch that threw me for a loop, but his shot just looks awkward as everything. There's a hitch in his release that just can't be good for his shooting percentage. It's not quite Barkley with a golf club, but it still isn't pretty.

Proelite

Okay...so there is apparently a riot ala Maryland style off Franklin Street. Any Tar Heels want to defend that?

Hopefully some UNC kid won't get beat by punk Chapel Hill cops.

BigNastyCurve said:
ACC has never been as deep as they were before they expanded. That's the sad truth as a Tarheel fan.

I don't understand this mentality. BC and VT have been two of the stonger BB programs since they entered the league. Expansion had nothing to do with the drop in the overall quality of the conference. The implosion of NC State, Wake Forest, and Georgia Tech are the reasons why the conference has been slipping lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom