• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2010-2011 Season OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
LegendofJoe said:
I don't understand this mentality. BC and VT have been two of the stonger BB programs since they entered the league. Expansion had nothing to do with the drop in the overall quality of the conference. The implosion of NC State, Wake Forest, and Georgia Tech are the reasons why the conference has been slipping lately.

Strong is a relative term. VT is perpetually on the bubble, BC hasn't been lighting it up. That said, as you mentioned, the traditional ACC teams aren't doing their part, either.

The part about expansion that just doesn't suit us ACC oldtimers is that the true home-and-home round robin is gone. Virginia Tech and Miami aren't exactly bad additions geographically speaking (Boston College just is), but there's no real rivalry with those teams beyond VT-UVA or MIA-FSU. At least Duke still gets a home and home with UNC and Maryland every year. But that's not true for Duke versus NC State, Wake Forest, Clemson, or anybody else in the league.

Proelite

Bowser said:

I love it. I hope UNC does it every time they beat us.

Seriously though karma is a bitch.

We finally get a true point after six years and he plays 8 games. Carolina gets one after one year without a good point, and the one is like the next Jason Kid.

DominoKid said:
God this season has been so fun since Drew left.

Thank you based god for kendall marshall.

I wonder what Drew's mom would say if you were to ask her what are her thoughts are on Kendall Marshall and UNC after Drew.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Proelite said:

We finally get a true point after six years and he plays 8 games. Carolina gets one after one year without a good point, and the one is like the next Jason Kid.

I wonder what Drew's mom would say if you were to ask her what are her thoughts are on Kendall Marshall and UNC after Drew.

its like we mortaged this year to win last year. Fuck it, neither one is winning the NC this year.

Many of my family members are Carolina fans. One of them posted on Facebook that he was watching ESPNews after the game and a reporter asked Coach K if Duke should be in the NCAA tournament this year. Apparently Coach K gave him a blank state and said "Yeah, I'm pretty sure we're not on the bubble."

Bowser

Proelite said:

Don't fault you for not knowing tradition but yeah UNC fans DO rush Franklin after EVERY Dook win. I'm drunk.

PBY

Banned
Congrats UNC. I missed the game unfortunately for circumstances out of my control, but I don't think I missed much from the box score. I was really worried about this game after the shellacking you gave us in the first half of the first matchup in Cameron, and I guess I was right to be fearful of our matchup away.

Seth C

Talon- said:
They went from not making the tournament at all last year to unexpectedly winning the regular season title while beating your biggest rival.

I don't mind it.

Kentucky fans have never, and will never, rush the court. You should be ashamed.

scoobs

Seth C said:
Kentucky fans have never, and will never, rush the court. You should be ashamed.
Why? The games played to have fun first and foremost, there's nothing wrong with having a little fun with the fans. Ill never understand that mentality.

Seth C

scoobs said:
Why? The games played to have fun first and foremost, there's nothing wrong with having a little fun with the fans. Ill never understand that mentality.

We've been there before. Our fans recognize our history, and the fact that there is NEVER a regular season game that deserves that. Championship games are a different story. Feel free to rush the court then. Anything short of that is old hat.

HeySeuss

The Ohio State vs Wisconsin has the makings of being a very ugly game from the fans standpoint. Hopefully the fans can contain themselves and not lower themselves down to what happened in Madison.'Diebler swallows" and there was another chant that I can't remember off hand and then Sullinger getting spit on when they stormed the court.

I'm glad I'm going to be watching at a bar.

Shick Brithouse said:
The Ohio State vs Wisconsin has the makings of being a very ugly game from the fans standpoint. Hopefully the fans can contain themselves and not lower themselves down to what happened in Madison.'Diebler swallows" and there was another chant that I can't remember off hand and then Sullinger getting spit on when they stormed the court.

I'm glad I'm going to be watching at a bar.

Got my tix ready to go, all of us students are getting Deal With It rally towels.

DominoKid

scoobs said:

Didn't you hear? Apparently we aren't supposed to enjoy our success. Just expect them as the natural law or some old codger bullshit like that.

Kalnos said:
God damn, Kentucky fans and harping about their history never gets old.
Funny how they always forget to include the fact that they are one of the dirtiest and historically racist programs in the country

Seth C

GodfatherX said:
Funny how they always forget to include the fact that they are one of the dirtiest and historically racist programs in the country

Prove it, bastard. Rupp was one of the first coaches in the SEC to recruit a black player. He also coached black players in high school. As I recall, we had a black basketball coach before most and have a black football coach. Eat it. Oh, and we have fewer major NCAA violations than Kansas or any number of other schools. So, I say back you shit up with facts, bitch.

Or just borrow another of our coaches after he flames out in the NBA. Whatever works for you!

Kalnos said:
God damn, Kentucky fans and harping about their history never gets old.

And it isn't about OUR history, it is about North Carolina's history! They are one of the best, most winning programs in history. They beat Duke all the time. In fact, they hold the all-time record against Duke by a considerable margin. They were favored to win this game and both teams were ranked in the top 15. It just wasn't court rush worthy, not for a team like UNC. They aren't Virginia Tech.

Seth C said:
Prove it, bastard. Rupp was one of the first coaches in the SEC to recruit a black player. He also coached black players in high school. As I recall, we had a black basketball coach before most and have a black football coach. Eat it. Oh, and we have fewer major NCAA violations than Kansas or any number of other schools. So, I say back you shit up with facts, bitch.

Or just borrow another of our coaches after he flames out in the NBA. Whatever works for you!

And it isn't about OUR history, it is about North Carolina's history! They are one of the best, most winning programs in history. They beat Duke all the time. In fact, they hold the all-time record against Duke by a considerable margin. They were favored to win this game and both teams were ranked in the top 15. It just wasn't court rush worthy, not for a team like UNC. They aren't Virginia Tech.

want me to prove what? Rupp's racism?

Loose Balls by Terry Pluto said:
“Once, I was on a flight with Rupp and sat with him in the first-class section. He had about six Kentucky bourbons in less than an hour and was about halfway to the wind. I told him that I was an attorney who represented some basketball players. Now, I had never met the man, and the first significant thing he said to me was, ‘The trouble with the ABA is that there are too many nigger boys in it now.’ I sat there just stunned. That just killed my image of Adolph Rupp the great coach

or

Adolf Rupp via Harry Lancaster said:
"Harry, that son of a bitch is ordering me to get some niggers in here. What am I going to do ? He's the boss."

or

Frank Deford said:
"He said, ‘You've got to beat those coons,’ He turned to (center)Thad Jaracz. 'You go after that big coon.' . . . He talked that way all the time. . . A chill went through me. I was standing in the back of the room, and I looked around at the players. They all kind of ducked their heads. They were embarrassed. This was clearly the type of thing that went over the line."

or

New York Times said:
The first time Bassett and the Bulldogs played Kentucky was a home game on Jan. 17, 1972. Georgia won that game, 85-73. Bassett had 27 points and 13 rebounds. After the game, the legendary Kentucky coach Adolph Rupp approached Bassett.

“He said I didn’t belong in the Southeast Conference, and he said, ‘We’ll get you back when you come to Lexington,’ ” Bassett said.

When the Bulldogs went to Lexington a month later, they entered the gym to find Bassett hanging in effigy from the ceiling. Stunned, Bassett’s teammates offered not to play the game if Bassett were too uncomfortable there. A motivated Bassett played anyway and had 17 points and 17 rebounds, but Georgia lost, 87-63.

Seth C said:

Sorry but that was about far more than just UNC beating DUKE and I loved seeing a storied program, rich in tradition and history explode with the excitement and jubilation that is normally reserved for nobody schools making the NCAA Tourney for their first time ever. There is no checklist for what makes court rushing ok or not. Its just something that happens and its awesome to see, and great for the game.

Seth C

You got me, Godfather. Rupp was a mean old man born in 1901 who didn't care what he said to anyone, anywhere, about anything. Black, white, whatever. They trained him well in Kansas. Anyway, I say we go back that far and almost EVERY school had a racist coach, so what's the fucking point? The only difference is Rupp was beating their asses, he was better than them, and so more has been written about him. That and he said whatever he was thinking. The man had no filter.

My grandfather was a bit of a racist, too. I'd bet most of yours were also if you're old enough. Of course, he was on the ground in Germany and spent time as a prisoner of war, but I say we should drag him through the mud, too. Because he did call black people "coloreds" and really, isn't that what matters? That dirty racist, let's all be thankful he's dead now.

Mizzou Gaming said:
Sorry but that was about far more than just UNC beating DUKE and I loved seeing a storied program, rich in tradition and history explode with the excitement and jubilation that is normally reserved for nobody schools making the NCAA Tourney for their first time ever. There is no checklist for what makes court rushing ok or not. Its just something that happens and its awesome to see, and great for the game.

Ah, so that must be the reason schools get fined for it. Because it's a good thing.

---------------------

I will also add that I was completely drunk when I made that post last night. Haha.

Kalnos

Banned
Well, I mean, Kentucky made commemorative #1 t-shirts when they got the #1 ranking last year, I guess they should have acted like they had been their before.

With that said, this Tenn-Kentucky game has some shitty refs all around.

Seth C

jjasper said:
Kentucky 10-0 run upcoming.

With Josh on the bench for the rest of the half, us stuck with Eloy Vargas, and him seemingly wanting to run the point, no. Just no.

Kalnos said:
Well, I mean, Kentucky made commemorative #1 t-shirts when they got the #1 ranking last year, I guess they should have acted like they had been their before.

With that said, this Tenn-Kentucky game has some shitty refs all around.

Sure as fuck should have. You can always count on someone trying to make a buck though. Still, If I knew anyone who bought one I'd have punched them in the face.

Seth C said:
You got me, Godfather. Rupp was a mean old man born in 1901 who didn't care what he said to anyone, anywhere, about anything. Black, white, whatever. They trained him well in Kansas. Anyway, I say we go back that far and almost EVERY school had a racist coach, so what's the fucking point? The only difference is Rupp was beating their asses, he was better than them, and so more has been written about him. That and he said whatever he was thinking. The man had no filter.

My grandfather was a bit of a racist, too. I'd bet most of yours were also if you're old enough. Of course, he was on the ground in Germany and spent time as a prisoner of war, but I say we should drag him through the mud, too. Because he did call black people "coloreds" and really, isn't that what matters? That dirty racist, let's all be thankful he's dead now.

Ah, so that must be the reason schools get fined for it. Because it's a good thing.

---------------------

I will also add that I was completely drunk when I made that post last night. Haha.

Well yeah conference officials don't want it to happen, but there's a reason ESPN uses court rushing footage to lead in Sportscenter. When I say great for the game, I'm talking from a fan's perspective, it draws people in.

Seth C

BertramCooper said:
It's going to be interesting to see how Kentucky fans react when Coach Cal inevitably fucks them over and skips town.

The same way we reacted when Eddie Sutton did it. The media will crucify Kentucky, Cal will move on somewhere else, and no one will ever speak of what he did again. He will finally be forgiven of his wrong doings, because people would rather speak ill of Kentucky than the person at fault. He may even make the hall of fame that way.

BertramCooper said:
It's going to be interesting to see how Kentucky fans react when Coach Cal inevitably fucks them over and skips town.
hey at least they wont need to make the inevitable UK2K shirts again after they make up for the vacated wins, since they've been there before

Seth C said:
He may even make the hall of fame that way.
this man will never make the hall of fame, no titles, 2 vacated final fours...bet the house, it will never happen

jjasper

Pearl tried to drive :jakncoke

Here comes the run, a little slower than I expected.

Edit: Also when the hell did Reggie Miller start doing college games?

Seth C

GodfatherX said:
hey at least they wont need to make the inevitable UK2K shirts again after they make up for the vacated wins, since they've been there before

Meanwhile, other schools in the state won't have to worry about it for other reasons, because they won't get there the first time. Just kidding of course. You'll get there one day, maybe in 50 years or so, after I'm dead.

jjasper said:
Pearl tried to drive :jakncoke

Here comes the run, a little slower than I expected.

It's a tried and true story, my friend. We will come back to make it a 2-3 point game at halftime, then in the second half you will run the lead back up to 12 or so. We will come back again, maybe even take the lead. Then we will lose by a basket. They might as well not even bother playing this game because that is what will happen.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
jjasper said:

Charles and Kenny will be also be in on tournament coverage, I believe. Hopefully, just studio work.

Seth C

jjasper said:
Shocking.

The only truly shocking outcome here would be if Kentucky wins. If we manage to get up 5 or 6 points, never fear. It is at that point that we will immediately stop doing whatever it was that got us there.

Edit - I was off slightly. We got the lead up to 7.

jakncoke

Banned
I dunno how you guys feel, but they keep saying George Mason might take an at-large if they don't win the tourney. Overlooking their schedule that's looks like a pretty big stretch tbh

jakncoke said:
I dunno how you guys feel, but they keep saying George Mason might take an at-large if they don't win the tourney. Overlooking their schedule that's looks like a pretty big stretch tbh

I think ODU and George Mason are in regardless of what happens. Most brackets already have them in. It's if Hofstra or VCU wins the tourney that an at-large will be lost. VCU up 12 as I type, as I said before...I like this team. They're good.

jakncoke

Banned
That'd be epic if VCU made it and knocked Duke out again :p, Man i'd rub that into my cousins face for months

Edit: Interesting Joe Lunardi has GM as a 7 in his latest...

will say I like Tennessee's jerseys, even though most Addidas schools had that same style a few years back it is still one of my favorite uniforms Louisville has had

Seth C

jjasper said:
We need a miracle.

Nah. Miller is going to foul out on the next Tennessee possession. Then you all are all set.

Was wrong. It was Liggins who immediately fouled out. Miller is up next, then you get to roll us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom