• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2010-2011 Season OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amory

IGotBillySoSpooked said:
I think it'll come down to Kemba Walker. If he hits 50+ percent of his shots like he did today, UConn has a very good chance. They also need some secondary scoring, so Kemba doesn't have to take 30 shots. If he goes like 10/27 or whatever it was like the last time Pitt and UConn played, I don't think they'll have much of a chance.

I don't expect Oriakhi to dominate Gary McGhee in the low post. McGhee is a really strong defender. The only times I've seen big men score easily against Pitt was when they were just hitting their shots from 4-5' out. I haven't seen many big men push McGhee around.
No doubt Kemba will need to play well and take good shots. It's interesting to see, though, that Oriakhi's success or failure in a given game is actually the best indicator of whether UConn wins or loses.

Walker can score 30 in a loss or 15 in a win, but if Oriakhi has a bad game they almost always lose, and if he rebounds well and gets a double double they typically win.

The guy is huge and has tons of potential, and it's really frustrating when you see flashes of greatness amongst long stretches of mediocrity.

jakncoke

Banned
Keiton Page missed a front end of a 1 and 1(90.2 ft %) giving Nebraska a chance with like 10 seconds or something, dude goes to around the ft line start to head to he bucket slips and falls and derp moments occur as the ball is going about.

osmosis

Neo Member
GoldenEye 007 said:
Oh, and I wonder why CUSA is pretty much considered a one-bid league when teams RPI and SOS/Opponent SOS is in line or better than a lot of other teams from "bigger" conferences. CUSA is rated the 8th best conference in RPI, but they're in the discussion for only one bid.

I don't think any of the conferences below it are likely to get more than 1 bid if that makes you feel any better.

While the RPI might be favorable to CUSA teams, it is not the only factor the committee takes into account. Hard to say how much it's weighed exactly. Other ratings (Pomeroy and Sargarin) have CUSA teams significantly lower, with only UAB appearing to be a viable choice. Whether or not these ratings are better is pretty subjective, but I believe that the factors that led to the lower ratings could be taken into consideration.

hubes

Wow what a ridiculous ending.. should be 1.7 seconds with rutgers ball. Looked like one of the refs was walking down the tunnel before the game even ended.

JasonKingYahoo Jason King
Source tells Yahoo Perry Jones has been suspended 4 remainder of season by NCAA 4 allegedly accepting imp. bennies. Baylor working on appeal

bucknuticus said:
What happened? I'm in class.

3 bad calls by the officials...all against Rutgers.

1. Rutgers player was fouled driving to the hole. St. John's player moved his hands down(lost verticality) and got contact with arm.

2. Over the back call on a missed ft that wasn't called...kept the ball in St. John's hands.

3. St. John's player running out of bounds with the ball near midcourt with 1.7 seconds left. Officials just walk off the court. End of game.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
What a clusterfuck at the end of that Rutgers game.

How do you just let the guy step out of bounds with almost 2 seconds left on the clock? That is ridiculous.

Fatalah

What did I just watch? Holy crap, that was the ugliest game I've ever seen.

Not proud of winning that way.

ncb_hardyv2_576.jpg

A win is a win. A win is a win. A win is a win.

Burr was doing the game? Gee why am I not surprised? Has been and always will be a giant piece of shit!

My apologies to any Rutgers fans here, you just been Burr'd.

I was in the band at Georgetown back when they sucked even harder in the early 2000s, so I had a front row seat to some absurd officiating, most notably losing to Villanova in the last minute because they had 6 men on the court

I saw a ton of games with Burr, and I could never figure his calls out. Him rushing down the tunnel literally moments after this game "ended" seems exactly like what a collegiate referee should NOT do. This is a conference tournament game, Rutgers last chance to qualify for the big tournament (no matter how unlikely that seemed), and there is a rule specifically purposed for end-of-game situations to check whether or not time is still on the clock.

What the hell were they thinking? If this isn't ammo for conspiracy theorists who think the bigwigs wanted a St. John's/Syracuse game, then I don't know what is.

Props to the ESPN analysts for putting in some extra time at the end to constructively rip apart the officials, and props to Doug Gottlieb for specifically pointing out that refs advance in the Big East tournament based on their performance, and that these ones better not.

jakncoke

Banned
doktorpeace said:
I was in the band at Georgetown back when they sucked even harder in the early 2000s, so I had a front row seat to some absurd officiating, most notably losing to Villanova in the last minute because they had 6 men on the court

I saw a ton of games with Burr, and I could never figure his calls out. Him rushing down the tunnel literally moments after this game "ended" seems exactly like what a collegiate referee should NOT do. This is a conference tournament game, Rutgers last chance to qualify for the big tournament (no matter how unlikely that seemed), and there is a rule specifically purposed for end-of-game situations to check whether or not time is still on the clock.

What the hell were they thinking? If this isn't ammo for conspiracy theorists who think the bigwigs wanted a St. John's/Syracuse game, then I don't know what is.

Props to the ESPN analysts for putting in some extra time at the end to constructively rip apart the officials, and props to Doug Gottlieb for specifically pointing out that refs advance in the Big East tournament based on their performance, and that these ones better not.

huh, this is the first i've heard of such thing

Edit: heh Iowa St person sleeping in the stands

I don't know if it was a real conspiracy theory or not, but it is now. There's no doubt St. John's/Syracuse was preferred in MSG over Rutgers/anyone.

Just started following @jimburr on twitter. It's a fake, but thriving in this moment as the fake Burr is justifying leaving the scene of the crime as necessary in order to get to happy hour.
255164530.png

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Bill Simmon's Twitter - @sportsguy33 said:
Final score: 65-63. In the words of Hank Kingsley, hey now. RT @menottiM the O/U for that game was 128.5. Holy conspiracy.

=X

Bodog had it at 128, also.

Fatalah

The Big East just released a statement, holy crap. They recognize two bad calls were made at the end of the game, but will not reverse them.

This is madness, more fuel for the fire.

But really, how stupid is that St Johns player. Talk about getting bailed out. He should have got a tech which would have been two free throws to Rutgers and they should have got the ball back with 1.7 seconds in a possibly tied game.

Kalnos

Banned
So, refs call a tech for team with insurmountable comeback odds (5pts and .5sec) when a cheerleader touches a ball (Louisville/Pitt).

BUT!

They don't call one when a player heaves the ball out of bounds with time on the clock during a close game!

Kalnos said:
So, refs call a tech for team with insurmountable comeback odds (5pts and .5sec) when a cheerleader touches a ball (Louisville/Pitt).

BUT!

They don't call one when a player heaves the ball out of bounds with time on the clock during a close game!

There is nothing illegal with throwing the ball out of bounds while the clock is running.

bigtroyjon said:
There is nothing illegal with throwing the ball out of bounds while the clock is running.

A technical foul can be called on a delay of game. If the ball was thrown like it was it could be ruled as a delay of game easily.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Kalnos said:

BUT!

It is difficult to call a foul when you are walking off the court before the game is over. Those refs were practically half way down the runway by the time that guy stepped out of bounds.

Really, really ridiculous. I can't believe Jim Burr is still a referee after all the bad calls he has made over his entire career.

SyNapSe

damn Baylor, when you need a cheapie win and maybe another to make the tourney. Way to get blown the fuck out by blowklahoma. OU plays hard but they should have been way outmatched.

NewLib

Banned
SyNapSe said:
damn Baylor, when you need a cheapie win and maybe another to make the tourney. Way to get blown the fuck out by blowklahoma. OU plays hard but they should have been way outmatched.

Perry Jones was deemed ineligible.

SyNapSe

NewLib said:
Perry Jones was deemed ineligible.

Who cares. OU has nothing but Cade Davis. Baylor still has Lace, tons of length/talent inside with Acy and Anthony Jones. They've been a horrific disappointment.

OU is a shell of a team that was discarded. They had Willie Warren and 2 incoming frosh McD's AA's in Mason-Griffin and Tiny Gallon last season. After losing Blake and Taylor Griffin, they seemed set for the future. Warren had issues, and the rest bailed to not make the NBA after their frosh years. Crippled that program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom