• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

iNvid02

When is the next DLC coming out, can you say?

I think i need some new places to race (online and offline). Don't think i'll buy it if it's just a few new cars. Maybe a new game mode as well (prob not) but i had this idea of outnumbered. It's like a hot pursuit but with 1 racer (lots of weapons and health) and multiple cops.

Mileena

Banned
The Antitype said:
Are you on the PS3? It's the only platform we've heard of those troubles with so far. The weird thing is, there's almost nothing correlating the people that are having those issues.

They're all in different countries, different broadband, different PS3 models, different mics...usually when there isn't some underlying similarity, it's a lot more widespread than this issue is (and it's really not). So it's been hard for the devs to reproduce the issue, and therefore hard to fix. They were working on it before xmas break, I imagine they'll be working on it again when they get back.

There are more title updates on the way, so I'll let you know if it's included in the notes we get ahead of time for those. :D
Yea I'm on PS3. It seems pretty random, when we first start playing it's fine but after a race or two none of us can hear eachother anymore. It'll randomly stop being laggy for a race then go back to lag.

Also, anyone else randomly get disconnected from autolog?

edit: yay disconnected from autolog mid-race. Fix the PS3 version PLEASE.

daw840

corkscrewblow said:
Yea I'm on PS3. It seems pretty random, when we first start playing it's fine but after a race or two none of us can hear eachother anymore. It'll randomly stop being laggy for a race then go back to lag.

Also, anyone else randomly get disconnected from autolog?
I had the autolog disconnect randomly on me last night, had to reboot the whole console to get it back. 360

I'll send all these reports off to the devs, but I know the Criterion is on holidays until...the 5th, at least. So it may be awhile till you hear back from me about any of them.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The Antitype said:
I'll send all these reports off to the devs, but I know the Criterion is on holidays until...the 5th, at least. So it may be awhile till you hear back from me about any of them.
Okay, while you're at it, I heard rumors that EA got the rights to NFL Blitz, can EA also get the rights to CART Fury and get the remake ball going? I loved that game, it was like Burnout before Burnout existed, and a remake with the Indy Racing League drivers and tracks would be ten kinds of awesome. :D

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
The Antitype said:
I'm just giving you honest information. There's no 'Neogaf whipping-boy' PR position at EA. I'm doing this out of my own time, it doesn't factor into my paycheck or performance evaluation. We don't have any metrics for this place. :lol I hopped on this forum to answer questions to the best of my ability, with the information I have and/or am allowed to share.

If you don't like the answers, so be it.

I can say that EA has no plans to 'wash our hands of the PC'. Not even close. You have no idea how funny that idea is after all the 2011 strategy meetings I've sat through. :lol
Oh dear, what is it with PR people nowadays, have they no idea how to handle any negative feedback whatsoever?

Just so you know I have bought every NFS game (Pro Street doesn't exist) since NFS:U, all on PC, and frankly, am a little sick and tired of publishers and their pets trying to call PC gamers pirates by stealth.

As I said, treat the customer base properly, and they'll treat you properly back. Shift was pirated to hell and back because EA wanted to stick to the usual NFS release timing, rather than letting SMS actually finish the game. If the game was released as patch 1.2, the situation would have been markedly different. Again though, that wasn't the developers fault, that was purely EA. Before you ask, I pre-ordered Shift from the EA store and played through the bugs, as the game was worth it.

On to HP and it is clear that resource management, not developer talent caused this situation. Burnout Paradise received an excellent PC port, yet the same devs somehow made a rather average port when it came to HP, and it certainly wasn't their fault. If EA is "committed" to PC as you imply, how about some actions to back up the rhetoric? Putting out low budget PC Ports with little after-thoughts will not cut it.

I love Hot Pursuit, but why is it you're implying that I should be grateful for receiving a PC version at all? Is this how major publishers outside of Valve/Blizzard think of the PC gaming community? As the dregs of gaming that should be grateful of what gruel we receive? Guess what, I'm not buying it.

Stop It said:
Oh dear, what is it with PR people nowadays, have they no idea how to handle any negative feedback whatsoever?

Just so you know I have bought every NFS game (Pro Street doesn't exist) since NFS:U, all on PC, and frankly, am a little sick and tired of publishers and their pets trying to call PC gamers pirates by stealth.

As I said, treat the customer base properly, and they'll treat you properly back. Shift was pirated to hell and back because EA wanted to stick to the usual NFS release timing, rather than letting SMS actually finish the game. If the game was released as patch 1.2, the situation would have been markedly different. Again though, that wasn't the developers fault, that was purely EA. Before you ask, I pre-ordered Shift from the EA store and played through the bugs, as the game was worth it.

On to HP and it is clear that resource management, not developer talent caused this situation. Burnout Paradise received an excellent PC port, yet the same devs somehow made a rather average port when it came to HP, and it certainly wasn't their fault. If EA is "committed" to PC as you imply, how about some actions to back up the rhetoric? Putting out low budget PC Ports with little after-thoughts will not cut it.

I love Hot Pursuit, but why is it you're implying that I should be grateful for receiving a PC version at all? Is this how major publishers outside of Valve/Blizzard think of the PC gaming community? As the dregs of gaming that should be grateful of what gruel we receive? Guess what, I'm not buying it.

What's the proper way for PR to handle negative feedback? "Thank you sir may I have another?"

I'm new age I guess. I believe that will all the access to information, it's a fool's errand to try and wrap up every situation in a perfect little message and repeat it until the audience either accepts it or leaves. So I'm trying another tactic - as much honest information as I am able to give without getting fired. I'm not the person that makes the decisions, and the people that make the decisions aren't handing me notes on what to type here.

I came on after Shift was released. Only since E3 this year or so. I don't know the details of that game's development cycle. I do know that SMS has been working on Shift 2 since, and the game is STILL coming in really hot, so they obviously like to take as much time as they can possibly get. I, as a gamer don't have a problem with that. Hell, as a marketer I think it is fucking retarded to release Shift 2 this close to HP. Not my call. It's also not my cheques that SMS are cashing.

As I said earlier in the thread, Criterion originally had no plans to make a PC version of Hot Pursuit. So you're right, the PC version is a result of resource management.... An increase from the ZERO resources that the talented dev was originally planning on spending on the game.

We're not asking you to be happy with a sub-par product. We're not surprised or offended by the response of the PC community to news of the DLC situation. As a PC gamer too, I feel for you. The allocation of resources isn't my call, I'm just telling that its the major reason why the calls are being made the way they are. But I can also tell you that the PC factors HUGELY into EA's plans for the future. So we're either going to get better, or possibly put ourselves out of business trying.

And I can pass on your philosophy of better games = less piracy to the people above me. But it's not a new message. They've heard it. So any impact it's likely to have on their business decisions has probably already been felt.

JaseMath

Bought this over the holiday - amazing game, but Christ, the load times are terrible. Restarting events takes anywhere from 15-20 sec. and when you have to do it dozens of times on make-no-mistakes events (ie. Rapid Response, Time Trials, etc.), it starts to wear my patience pretty thin. You literally spend spend more time waiting for the game to load than actually playing it. :(

I really hope future updates address this issue.

Agent X

blame space said:
Do you have to discover shortcuts in order for them to show up on your map?

No, shortcuts appear on the map regardless of whether you've previously driven through them.

This game is going back to the shop

absolutely hate HATE the handling of the cars and the car AI is even bloody worse

been playing this for about a week, I've unlocked quite a few events and i thought maybe you'll get the option the tweak the cars later on so they ACTUALLY HANDLE BETTER ON THE ROAD, but no not one option at all so i am DONE.

how this game is getting all 10/10 review scores is beyond me

absolutely terrible

going back to Burnout :D

stuminus3

Is there a way to make that stupid online pass message not pop up every time I launch the game? I bought it for my son for Christmas. He's playing the game in my house, in front of my gaming TV, on my Xbox. But I'm not going to use his online pass, if he wants to use it he can use it on his Gamertag. I don't even want to play online so I don't really care. But I've got to see that stupid page every time I play?

BPK

GringoLOCOo said:
This game is going back to the shop

absolutely hate HATE the handling of the cars and the car AI is even bloody worse

been playing this for about a week, I've unlocked quite a few events and i thought maybe you'll get the option the tweak the cars later on so they ACTUALLY HANDLE BETTER ON THE ROAD, but no not one option at all so i am DONE.

how this game is getting all 10/10 review scores is beyond me

absolutely terrible

going back to Burnout :D

I hated the handling but after a while it really grew on me.

If anybody wants to do some autolog, feel free to add me. I'm BPK, and I'm on PSN.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The Antitype said:
As I said earlier in the thread, Criterion originally had no plans to make a PC version of Hot Pursuit. So you're right, the PC version is a result of resource management.... An increase from the ZERO resources that the talented dev was originally planning on spending on the game.

This might be because of "warm" reception of the title on PC market :lol The "well-received" port was obviously pirated to hell and back if they decided to allocate the zero resources for the title.

I'd be glad to be mistaken though.

Darklord

Banned
What's the friends leaderboard stuff like on PC? Can you just add people in the game, does it use steam friends, or something else?

tomedo

Darklord said:
What's the friends leaderboard stuff like on PC? Can you just add people in the game, does it use steam friends, or something else?

PC version seems to be the best from technology standpoint (even though it lacks AA) but the autolog does not have Steamworks integration. Also DLC will not be coming to PC as pointed out earlier in this thread.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-nfs-hot-pursuit-face-off?page=2

Mayby we can share some names here to get some competition going on pc side, I just picked this up from Steam sale.

Edit: ...or just go here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412458

JaseMath

BPK said:
I hated the handling but after a while it really grew on me.

If anybody wants to do some autolog, feel free to add me. I'm BPK, and I'm on PSN.
I'll add you. I'm completing events atm, but would love to do the autolog with some GAFfers. PSN is Jason_MCG if anyone cares to add me as well - anyone is welcome to!

Hawk SE

The Antitype said:
What's the proper way for PR to handle negative feedback? "Thank you sir may I have another?"

I'm new age I guess. I believe that will all the access to information, it's a fool's errand to try and wrap up every situation in a perfect little message and repeat it until the audience either accepts it or leaves. So I'm trying another tactic - as much honest information as I am able to give without getting fired. I'm not the person that makes the decisions, and the people that make the decisions aren't handing me notes on what to type here.

I came on after Shift was released. Only since E3 this year or so. I don't know the details of that game's development cycle. I do know that SMS has been working on Shift 2 since, and the game is STILL coming in really hot, so they obviously like to take as much time as they can possibly get. I, as a gamer don't have a problem with that. Hell, as a marketer I think it is fucking retarded to release Shift 2 this close to HP. Not my call. It's also not my cheques that SMS are cashing.

We're not asking you to be happy with a sub-par product. We're not surprised or offended by the response of the PC community to news of the DLC situation. As a PC gamer too, I feel for you. The allocation of resources isn't my call, I'm just telling that its the major reason why the calls are being made the way they are. But I can also tell you that the PC factors HUGELY into EA's plans for the future. So we're either going to get better, or possibly put ourselves out of business trying.

And I can pass on your philosophy of better games = less piracy to the people above me. But it's not a new message. They've heard it. So any impact it's likely to have on their business decisions has probably already been felt.

You're doing the right thing man, to use this overused phrase "haters gonna hate". Just keep up the good work. Hot Pursuit is fantastic product. I own it on 360, PC, and iPhone.

I just hope PC Patch #2 comes out soon to fix the engine noises and I'll be happy.

Chaplain

The Antitype:

Can you please ask the devs if it is possible to add separate audio bars in the options for the police voices and for the car sfxs? I get tired of hearing the police voices over power the sfxs for the cars and my own car's engine sound.

Thanks.

Oneself

Just came in to say that this already amazing game gets even amazingER later on. I'm getting through the last events and wow, it's been one hell of a ride. Truly a better comeback for this series that I would have hoped for. My personal racing game of the year and well, maybe my personal GOTY overall as I think about it. The online integration is perfect* except for the fact that you have to be logged online to take pictures... once the servers down, this feature will be useless if it remains unchanged.

(Arcade racers fans: this game is pretty much a mix of NFS:HP, Burnout 3, Chase HQ, Outrun 2 & Cruis'n USA arcade... what are you waiting for?? ;P)

Lunchbox

Banned
im looking around to pick this up today, is it still on sale any where? (i know i missed the amazon one)

only found bestbuy at 49.99, the rest seems still at 60

derFeef

Lunchbox said:
im looking around to pick this up today, is it still on sale any where? (i know i missed the amazon one)

only found bestbuy at 49.99, the rest seems still at 60
On sale on Steam currently, but only 20 minutes left ;)

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
This game is so great! I wanted to echo another person's comment about the loading... I'm on PS3. Maybe if they added an 'Install' option that would help? The only part that's annoying is when you're wanting to restart an event, that takes a little too long... for my likes.

Oh and skippable cutscenes would be real nice. I don't need to watch a video explaining Level 2 Spike Strips... yeah I know. They're better than Level 1 Spike Strips! :lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So I picked this up yesterday when it was on sale for $30 over steam, So did a few of the other ausgaffers which was nice. I haven't gone through the entire thread so there's a good chance some of my opinions have been echoed many times, sorry if that's the case.

Hot Pursuit MP is actually fun but it also feels imbalanced. Cops take too much damage and while they might have 2 extra attacks, they tend to be useless again people who know what they are doing and it doesn't seem to do all that much damage to them. Slamming into people also seems to have stuff all effect on the health of those you are chasing. I'm guessing we can all count how many times we have rammed the shit out of someone only to have it do just about nothing. Compared to the SP mode, it seems really really really off.

Racing is as i thought it would be. Shortcuts ruin the experience, which they always have done and always will do if they are included in any racing game. I wish there was a way to turn them off, i've hated them since they were first introduced. Every time i see shortcuts included in a racing game it's almost as if it's saying "We can't design an interesting and challenging track, so have some shortcuts!". Going from a 8 second lead to a 5 second loss because the other guy took shortcuts feels so cheap and wrong. While not all tracks have awesome shortcuts, They shouldn't have them in the first place.

Still, It's a ton of fun, Racing aside.

Let me remind you people that I'm still waiting for Paradise's Big Surf Island. :lol Sometimes, development for specific platform for DLC just isn't going to happen, for whatever reasons... Oh well...

BPK

Does this game have any playstation eye functionality? I see people online sometimes have photos but I'm not sure how to set that up.

BPK said:
Does this game have any playstation eye functionality? I see people online sometimes have photos but I'm not sure how to set that up.
You can take pictures with it (options I think), or you can do it online.

vanty

Fredescu said:
When you lag in multiplayer, this happens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWK8FLRs1Ok
:(

If my attemped fixes don't work later tonight, I guess this is going to be a SP-only game for me :lol Very weird when I don't get lag in anything else, including Burnout Paradise and Dirt 2 and stuff. Making MP even worse is the ENORMOUS fucking HUD that blocks so much of the screen, when you have an 8 player race it's worse than CoD.

Kritz

Banned
Hi Fred!

We're Australians playing on PC.

Also, I have an unhealthy obsession with Midnight Brown.

EDIT: Oh, and the HIGH RESOLUTION SCREENSHOTS viewing mode is uh. Well, I think they have a weird definition for "high resolution". These images would look bad on a cellphone.

mXi8w.jpg

Besides the JPGing, that image is spot on with what it shows up on my screen in the game. >_<

Shaneus

I've just picked this up for PC as well, can anyone tell me if the PC performance issue has been addressed? I have a Core 2 Quad CPU with 2x 5850s and still rarely see 60fps out of the game with everything disabled (except shadows) @ 1920x1080... even then it still looks pretty average due to no AA.

Sucks, because I was looking forward to playing this apparently awesome looking game but with half the options disabled to get a half-decent framerate (and it still looks a bit arse) I can't help but feel a little short-changed :(

web01

WOW happy I looked in this thread before buying the PC version.
Loved Burnout Paradise but will avoid this game like the plague, what a disgrace.

Peterthumpa

Kritz said:
Hi Fred!

We're Australians playing on PC.

Also, I have an unhealthy obsession with Midnight Brown.

EDIT: Oh, and the HIGH RESOLUTION SCREENSHOTS viewing mode is uh. Well, I think they have a weird definition for "high resolution". These images would look bad on a cellphone.

Besides the JPGing, that image is spot on with what it shows up on my screen in the game. >_<
I've asked this question to one of the Criterion developers in their bug reporting website.
Apparently, screenshots taken with the analog stick are rendered @ a mediocre resolution, that's by design. If you want eye candy, pause the game and go to the Photo Mode option.

Fredescu

Shaneus said:
I've just picked this up for PC as well, can anyone tell me if the PC performance issue has been addressed? I have a Core 2 Quad CPU with 2x 5850s and still rarely see 60fps out of the game with everything disabled (except shadows) @ 1920x1080... even then it still looks pretty average due to no AA.

Sucks, because I was looking forward to playing this apparently awesome looking game but with half the options disabled to get a half-decent framerate (and it still looks a bit arse) I can't help but feel a little short-changed :(
You have issues I think. Most ausgaffers are getting 60fps on higher settings with lesser specs.

web01 said:
WOW happy I looked in this thread before buying the PC version.
Loved Burnout Paradise but will avoid this game like the plague, what a disgrace.
What are you on about? The game is fine.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I am disappointed with this game. Specifically the forced time trials in a forced car I could care less about.

Make the game fun next time.

Shaneus

Fredescu said:
You have issues I think. Most ausgaffers are getting 60fps on higher settings with lesser specs.
I think I do... I mean, it *is* playable, but even when winding down the res to 1600x900 with full detail, it still sits at around 70-80%@30fps and 20-30%@60fps, even with the latest patch. I can run Metro 2033 fine so I'm more inclined to believe something's up with my config... I know there were crashing issues with quad-core CPUs, maybe there's issues with Crossfire as well?

Update: Found some other people resolved the issue by renaming the NFS11.exe to Dirt2.exe... so I guess it's (at least partially) a complete lack of Crossfire optimisation in the latest Catalyst drivers. Only very minimal dips below 60fps, even on highest resolution/detail levels. A lot happier now :D

I'm running on a 1GB GDDR3 Radeon HD5570, with a 4GB Q8200 Quad Core ... Even I though was expecting I could find a setting that gives me something like 60fps, but I'm not getting that at all. The annoying bit is that I am not getting that setting no matter what I change my settings to. I can put the game on 1680x1050 with everything on, or 1024x768 with everything off, and it barely makes a difference at all. Honestly I don't understand. I would expect good framerates at least at 1280x768 regardless of my settings. It should really be able to outperform my PS3 easily (as for instance Mass Effect 2 handily does, giving me a smooth 60fps with all settings high, and matching PS3 framerates at 1680x1050 ).

Then again, apparently I should be glad that I don't have any crashes whatsoever?

The game is still piss-easy enough to play though so I did do a fair number of events already.

I'm Arwin_ST (also on Steam) so if you want to add me, I could definitely use some more people in my Autolog (I have none currently - I had 8 in the PS3 demo the second day ... :lol )

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
BPK said:

You use it for your Autolog Profile picture, go to Options and Profile Picture or something.

I am disappointed with this game. Specifically the forced time trials in a forced car I could care less about.

Make the game fun next time.

Really? That's laughable. I mean those events aren't the funnest part of the game, but they in no way take away from the game. Unless you are just terrible at the game, it takes no more than 3 retries tops for me.

And actually those became some of the funnest events for me, because after all the hectic racing and hot pursuits - it's nice to have just an open road and dodge traffic going as fast as you can and not having to worry about other racers or cops. I think those events actually really add to the flow of the game.

Daft_Cat

I'd like a new Criterion racing game..I haven't played one since Burnout 3 back on my PS2. Should I get this or Burnout Paradise? Price isn't really an object..I just want the better game.

I know both have open world elements, although it's more of a focus for Paradise..The design really doesn't matter to me..I'd just prefer whichever one is their stronger effort.

What's the GAF consensus?

jkanownik

I'm not sure what about this game makes it so frustrating for me, but I can't play it anymore. I got to level ~4 on both sides and played ~8 online matches. Online was extremely frustrating. I never made it to the end as a racer or busted anyone as a cop. For half of my matches my team was outnumbered 4-3 which didn't help.

After the frustrating online experience I think it just made the little annoyances I had with the single player worse. Autolog did little to motivate me because I easily beat some of my friends and then had a large gap ahead of me where my friends that played it a lot were. Maybe I'll come back to it later like I did with Burnout Paradise. Initially I was frustrated with that game too but I eventually grew to like it a lot. I just needed a lull where I had nothing else to play so I could dedicate time to it.

NFS:MW remains my favorite racing game of this generation. Note the extremely casual slant as I have no interest in GT or Forza. For now NFS:HP is pretty low on my rankings:

NFS:MW > Burnout Paradise > Ridge Racer > Split Second > Blur > NFS:HP > Midnight Club 3

mm04

Shaneus said:
I think I do... I mean, it *is* playable, but even when winding down the res to 1600x900 with full detail, it still sits at around 70-80%@30fps and 20-30%@60fps, even with the latest patch. I can run Metro 2033 fine so I'm more inclined to believe something's up with my config... I know there were crashing issues with quad-core CPUs, maybe there's issues with Crossfire as well?

Update: Found some other people resolved the issue by renaming the NFS11.exe to Dirt2.exe... so I guess it's (at least partially) a complete lack of Crossfire optimisation in the latest Catalyst drivers. Only very minimal dips below 60fps, even on highest resolution/detail levels. A lot happier now :D

Just disable Crossfire and you'll get full 60fps average easy. I'm running it on a single 5770 instead of 2 and at 1920 x 1080 with RadeonPro enabled 4x AA along with the ingame 16x AF and getting a constant 60fps. See if that improves your performance even more. Darksiders is the same way.

crispyben

Secret_Riddle said:
I'd like a new Criterion racing game..I haven't played one since Burnout 3 back on my PS2. Should I get this or Burnout Paradise? Price isn't really an object..I just want the better game.

I know both have open world elements, although it's more of a focus for Paradise..The design really doesn't matter to me..I'd just prefer whichever one is their stronger effort.

What's the GAF consensus?
It's quite hard to compare these games, as BP offers much more variety than NFS:HP. Of course, being more focused also plays in favor of the latter, if you prefer racing/arresting to pulling off barrel rolls and causing general mayhem :D

Shaneus said:

Haha, that's a cute trick. Glad you worked it out. Sorry I wasn't online to help you out. I'll be online more these days now that I'm back at work and not snowboarding all day. :D

Top Bottom